Fairfield Union 69 Sheridan 61 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Fairfield Union 69 Sheridan 61 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Union 69
Sheridan 61 a final

PFLOYD1 made it's way up Rte 33 to the Lancaster-Dixon Line tonight to take in the battle between the FU Falcons vs the Sheridan Generals ... I needed to give the pfloyd "eye test" to both of these Logan D2 Sectional teams as well as having Sheridan in the top 8 teams I wanted to see how the Generals compared to the other top 8 teams in the rankings ... besides it's always good to see old friends from FU - smeltzy, Coach Helber for FU , Ryan Montgomery the FU Athletic Director ...

... Sheridan started the game as expected with 9 points from Ethan Heller - the QB/PG for the Generals dropped a 3 pointer in the opening quarter to become Sheridan's All-time leading scorer ... besides Heller the Generals have 6-7 Grant Heileman in the paint as an BIG offensive weapon ... as the quarter was winding down the SHS offense began finding Heileman - on the block twice in a row ... each time the big man made a drop step to his right laying the ball off the backboard for points ... not to be outdone FU stayed in contact with Sheridan as Chase Poston & Andrew Moll each had 4 pts and Huston Harrah went to the line going 2 for 2 (didn't seem big at the time BUT FU knocking down FTs all night was a key to the Falcon "W" ... FU was 20/23 from the FT line on the night) ... Sheridan 14 Fairfield Union 10 after 1 ... Quarter number 2 had both sides show their hand offensively - Sheridan continued the success of pounding the ball down low to Heileman, the 6-7 big man took 4 straight entry passes on the left block, turning to his right for easy buckets at the rim 8 points in the quarter/12 for the first half /Heller added 2 points (11 in the half) ... 2 three pointers - one from Costa Coconis and 2nd by 6-7 Michael Jordan from deep in the left corner ... the Sheridan 3-2 zone defense held FU in check in the first quarter/keeping Evan Conley the FU pg scoreless - in quarter 2 the FU TEAM turned things up offensively - all 5 starters put points in the scorebook - Conley hit for 8, Ryan Magill 4, a Chase Poston triple (7 in the half), Andrew Moll for 2/Harrah for 2 ... Sheridan 32 Fairfield Union 29 at intermission ... FU looked to start getting comfortable offensively vs the Sheridan defense as FU was only turned over 2 times in the first 2 quarters of action with one of those being a 3 second call ... as a matter of fact the Sheridan D never stopped the FU disciplined offense after the 1st quarter as FU dropped 19 points in the 2nd, 21 in the 3rd and 19 more in the 4th ... in the 3rd period FU took over the lead at 5:28 on the clock 37-35 ... the Falcons never looked back - balanced scoring in the 3rd period for FU - 6 pts by Conley, Magill 2, Poston 5, and Huston Harrah 8 pts ... Coach Eversole/Coach Goodyear made the necessary adjustments at the half to stop/slow down the Sheridan game in the paint ... Harrah/Poston/Magill/Moll all crashed the boards , all stepped up to take away the clear entry into the post to Heileman - the SHS big was held to 2 points in the 3rd from the floor - everything was contested ... resulting in fouls on FU but it kept the Sheridan big from scoring at will in the paint ... the FU defense held the Generals to 11 points in the 3rd - holding Heller to 1 fg and Heileman to 1 fg ... weakness for Sheridan exposed - this years General squad seems to be a 2 man offensive game ... either they pound the ball down low to Heileman or Heller creates for himself on the perimeter to take the 3 or he works to get into the paint ... Fairfield Union 50 Sheridan 43 after 3 ... in the 4th Evan Conley put 10 points on the board ... the Falcons went 13/14 from the FT line while Sheridan were 7/11 from the line in the 4th 12/22 from the line for the game ... the Falcon disciplined offensive schemes, solid defense and 5 players who can put double digit scoring together were the difference in this one ... Coach Eversole and his staff had a plan, the players executed it well ... Sheridan's coaching staff didn't appear to make any adjustments at the half or during the game that effected the outcome of this one ... Fairfield Union 69 Sheridan 61 a final ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Sheridan

Scoring ... Ethan Heller 21, Grant Heileman 19, Landen Russell 8, Costa Coconis 5, Luken Hill 3, Michael Jordan 3, Ethan Malone 2
3 Pointers ... 5/16 ... Ethan Heller 2, Landen Russell 1, Costa Coconis 1, Michael Jordan 1
FTs ... 12/22
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fg/4 points in transition

... this was the 2nd loss this week for Sheridan ... a big loss to another team who is in the same D2 Sectional this time ... after watching Sheridan last season multiple times I felt they could be turned over on the perimeter - that thoughts hasn't changed ... based only on tonight's game with FU I didn't get the impression that Sheridan has improved over last years General team that made it to the Convo before bowing out to Waverly in the D@ districts ... I hadn't seen Sheridan this season until tonight - I did not know that Amere Royster was not on the Sheridan team this year ... at 6-7 and a beast in the paint THAT is a BIG loss both literally and figuratively ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union

Scoring ... Evan Conley 24, Chase Poston 16, Huston Harrah 12, Ryan Magill 9, Andrew Moll 8
3 Pointers ... 3/9 ... Chase Poston 2, Evan Conley 1
FTs ... 20/23
TOs ... 7
PnP ... 14 fgs/28 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fg/6 points in transition

... this game showed the quality of the FU coaching staff - Coach Eversole/Coach Goodyear/Coach Helber made great adjustments at the half which took away Heileman's effectiveness down low ... 2 big wins for FU this week a nice win over a very good Amanda Clear Creek team and tonight vs Sheridan ...

bman
SEO

Re: Fairfield Union 69 Sheridan 61 a final ...

Post by bman »

Nice breakdown of the game. Great FT shooting by the Falcons. A lost art.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 am Nice breakdown of the game. Great FT shooting by the Falcons. A lost art.
... I came away impressed with the Falcons all around game - both offensively and defensively very solid ... they are so well coached by Coach Eversole and his staff ... it was the first time I had seen this group of Falcons on the court together -having not seen FU I had forgotten just how good of a Coach staff FU has - excellent ... Evan Conley is so solid - such a nice mid-range shot - THAT is a lost art as well ... he stops on dime and elevates on that mid ranger - very sweet to see in these days of the 3 ball which he can shoot as well ... great week to be a Falcon for sure ... going to be some interesting conversations in the morning with the committee of one looking at where the pieces fall after this weeks action ...

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Great to see you too, pfloyd. Hope to see you again this season.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Does anyone know where Amere Royster is? I remember him from last year, big kid, should be a senior this year at Sheridan. Did he transfer?

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”