Freshman Team

SVC POY

Post by AnkleBraces »

Name your player and state your case

HamPorter
All Conference

Re: SVC POY

Post by HamPorter »

Cam Evans - best player on best team. Carries offense at times, leads league in scoring. Above average defender.

Elijah McCloskey - Huntington wouldn’t even sniff a win without him, if you put him on any other team, they are instantly better.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Alex Blanton

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Cam Evans

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Cam Evans from Zane Trace. I think the media is trying to make it go the other way. Elijah had a great game against unioto , but Cam is Mr. Consistent. He helps lead his team to victory night in and night out. He has better numbers and his team is undefeated in the league.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

1. Mcclosky
2. Evans
3. Blanton

Forget about the one big game Mcclosky had and he’s still averaging 20 on a not so good team. I think it’s close between him and Evans and wouldn’t be surprised if we had another co poy again this year.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

I am a HUGE fan of Mcclosky. Not only is he putting his team in positions to win against much better teams he is an even better person. Think he could play at the next level if he wanted to. However, Cam is tremendous in his own way. He is the best player on the best team which should count for something. I think he will get it but does not take away from how good Mcclocky is. Not to be negative, but i have seen the way league voting goes and rarely do we get all 15 of the "best basketball players" on the all SVC team. I think it gets close but there are always a few head scratchers. There are a lot of deals being made and concessions to make sure someone gets on the teams. Case and point was last year where if the POY was actually voted on it would have been heavy one way. Instead, deal is made ahead of time to make CO-POY. I am guessing this year there won't be a deal being made and the vote will be closer than what most people think. Both players are a joy to watch and worthy. Good luck to all the kids the rest of the way.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

McCloskey gets my vote, and here is the reason why:

Both rank in the top 10 of league statistical categories in 5 areas. Evans' teammates rank in the top 10 of league statistical categories 11 times, McCloskey's teammates 1.

Now, I realize Evans shouldn't be penalized because he has better teammates, but ZT without Evans is still a .500 team at least. Imagine Huntington with McCloskey!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think it will end up being very close. I think part of the reason that McCloskey might not seem “consistent” is due to him being the key to beating them. If you solely focus on Cam, you’re still in a heap of trouble.

With that being said, Evans is unreal and is fully deserving of the award as well. Although there have been posters on here questioning if he’s their best player, he’s the best player on the best team and the leading scorer in the league.

Blanton has had an outstanding year as well.

Those are your top 3 in my opinion.

cactus
Waterboy

Post by cactus »

Cam Evans.

As good as McCloskey is, his team is 2-8 in the league. Sorry, but you can’t be POY when your team is 2-8.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

cactus wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am Cam Evans.

As good as McCloskey is, his team is 2-8 in the league. Sorry, but you can’t be POY when your team is 2-8.
I’ll have to look back on it, but I don’t think a POY has ever come from a team that had a losing record (or loosing as some people would spell it lol)

Edit- 8-6 is the worst team record that I’ve seen that had a POY
Last edited by danicalifornia on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

I agree. I remember when the Huntington boy in 2001 scored more than 44 points in a game and didn’t win it because his team was poor. I think his name was JB Edwards? Jeran Cox from ZT won it that year playing for a team that won the gold ball. If Cam was on Huntington’s team he would average 30 ppg.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Spartan12 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am

I agree. I remember when the Huntington boy in 2001 scored more than 44 points in a game and didn’t win it because his team was poor. I think his name was JB Edwards? Jeran Cox from ZT won it that year playing for a team that won the gold ball. If Cam was on Huntington’s team he would average 30 ppg.
JB scored 51 in a tournament game. Wouldn’t have mattered for SVC play.

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

Our team has played both and I have to give the edge to Cam. We face guarded him all night and he was still a handful.

Cam Evans - Zane Trace is the real deal and it would shock me if he didn't win player of the year. He is such a great ball player and someone told me from ZT that he is getting close to hitting his 1,000 point as a Junior. He can do it all.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

svc_guy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 am I am a HUGE fan of Mcclosky. Not only is he putting his team in positions to win against much better teams he is an even better person. Think he could play at the next level if he wanted to. However, Cam is tremendous in his own way. He is the best player on the best team which should count for something. I think he will get it but does not take away from how good Mcclocky is. Not to be negative, but i have seen the way league voting goes and rarely do we get all 15 of the "best basketball players" on the all SVC team. I think it gets close but there are always a few head scratchers. There are a lot of deals being made and concessions to make sure someone gets on the teams. Case and point was last year where if the POY was actually voted on it would have been heavy one way. Instead, deal is made ahead of time to make CO-POY. I am guessing this year there won't be a deal being made and the vote will be closer than what most people think. Both players are a joy to watch and worthy. Good luck to all the kids the rest of the way.
Agreed that we rarely get the top 15 players in the all league voting

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

This is the reason Evans will more than likely win it. I won’t be mad either way. Both very deserving

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am

I’ll have to look back on it, but I don’t think a POY has ever come from a team that had a losing record (or loosing as some people would spell it lol)

Edit- 8-6 is the worst team record that I’ve seen that had a POY
Interesting stat Dan. Not 2-8.

DUp07
Waterboy

Post by DUp07 »

Cam Evans, hands down, no doubt and no contest!

Cam is on the undefeated league team with several other very talented, highly competitive teammates. Leads the league in scoring 25ppg, has led and helped his team win against highly competitve non-league teams. Every night teams focus on him and yet he seems to perform every night to find ways to consistently help his team win. Lets not make this a Dwayne Haskins “The Real McCoy” vs “all hat no cattle” issue. Make the right choice and vote.

*Cam Evans SVC POY! :!:

wfballer23
Waterboy

Post by wfballer23 »

From what I'm seeing Huntington has 2 league wins right now and Westfall is ahead of them with 3. 2 of the 3 wins for Westfall came against Huntington. McCloskey was out with an injury during the first lost to Westfall and fouled out during second lost against them. POY candidates make their team better. You would think if he is the best player in the league him playing in the second game there would have been a different outcome, especially against a team in the bottom half of a league of 8 teams with only 2 teams above .500.

Yes Cam is the best player on the best team. If the roles were reversed and Cam played for Huntington and McCloskey played for ZT would McCloskey be the best player on the best team? Would he start? What would Huntington's record be with Cam and not McCloskey?

At the end of the day everyone can play the 'what if' game. Facts are facts... Best player on best team... Cam gets my vote if I had one.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

wfballer23 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 pm From what I'm seeing Huntington has 2 league wins right now and Westfall is ahead of them with 3. 2 of the 3 wins for Westfall came against Huntington. McCloskey was out with an injury during the first lost to Westfall and fouled out during second lost against them. POY candidates make their team better. You would think if he is the best player in the league him playing in the second game there would have been a different outcome, especially against a team in the bottom half of a league of 8 teams with only 2 teams above .500.

Yes Cam is the best player on the best team. If the roles were reversed and Cam played for Huntington and McCloskey played for ZT would McCloskey be the best player on the best team? Would he start? What would Huntington's record be with Cam and not McCloskey?

At the end of the day everyone can play the 'what if' game. Facts are facts... Best player on best team... Cam gets my vote if I had one.
If you have to question if he would start on ZT, then I don’t know what you’ve been watching.

The “best player on the best team” argument shouldn’t matter, because Unioto only had a co-POY once in the past 3 years. It should be the best player, period. If you think it is Evans, there’s a good chance you’re correct. If you think it is McCloskey, you also have a good chance of being right. I don’t know which was is better, but I love watching both of them play and would be fine with either one winning.

Return to “Boys Basketball”