Trimble 49 South Gallia 42 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Trimble 49 South Gallia 42 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 49
South Gallia 42 a final

... Earlier in the week I decided that I would make a trip to Glouster tonight to see Coach Caldwell's 10-2 Trimble Tomcats taking on the 11-5 South Gallia Rebels ... both D4 schools ... I had hoped to have gotten to see the Tomcats at the Beasts of the Southeast the 2nd week of January BUT Mother Nature didn't allow either myself or the Tomcats to make the trip to Chesapeake ... I wasn't disappointed - good basketball game ! both teams showed how they got to double digit "W's" on the season ! South Gallia relied on perimeter scoring (8/18 three points/8 fgs in the paint) while Howie's troops are undersized, not a particularly good perimeter scoring teams (0/8 from behind the arc... only 1 fg made outside the paint for the game !) ...the Tomcats are a true "Blue Collar" team ... I was driving back from Glouster digesting the game I watched - the Tomcats are a TEAM that Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs would do a show on ! - 32 minutes of motion offense, picks along the baseline, on the wings, at the elbows ... bodies on bodies looking to get separation on cuts to the rim from EVERYWHERE on the court - my kind of offense ! the Tomcats got 12 fgs in the paint ... 1 medium range fg ... going into the paint literally the entire game - forcing the Rebels to chase all over the court/being a step behind (SG) on every possession the SG defenders picked up fouls which put the Tomcats on the line - to the tune of shooting 30 FT's knocking down 23 on the game ... as a "Blue Collar/Dirty Jobs" TEAM who doesn't take many perimeter shots AND being height challenged they have to manufacture points with their Defense ... tonight the Tomcats turned the Rebels over 22 times with 5 changes of possession resulting in fgs in transition ... when you add it all up as Blue Collar as the Tomcats are you can see why they are now 11-2 - hustle, a "we're not going to lose" attitude, hard nose D, wear out the opposition when they are constantly cutting/picking/pounding the opposition with their bodies for 32 minutes - I have never expected any less from a Howie Caldwell TEAM ...

... this one looked like it was going to be a laugher as the Tomcats held the Rebels to 5 points (a Nick Hicks triple and a CJ Mayse shot at the rim for 2) .... for the Tomcats quarter 1 was a snapshot of the entire game -Brayden Weber leading the scoring with 6 points, a drive to the hole by Blake Guffey for a deuce ... the rest of the scoring for THS was from the FT line - going 6/7 from the line ... Trimble 12 South Gallia 5 after 1 ... South Gallia in the 2nd could not get untracked - turning the ball over 6 times (11 TOs in the 1st half) ... scoring on a Jared Burdette triple and two pts in the paint by Garrett Saunders ... Trimble double up on the Rebel output in the 2nd getting 10 points - most coming from the charity stripe as Jeremiah Brown went 4/6 from the line, Brayden Weber 2/2 from the FT line ... the only fgs coming from Blake Guffey (4 points in the quarter/8 in the first half) ... Trimble 22 South Gallia 10 at intermission ... South Gallia came into the game having 11 wins - 10 points in the first half ?!!! the 3rd quarter had the Rebels showing their offensive power as SG went 5/6 from behind the arc both Garrett Saunders and Nick Hicks hitting 2 treys each and Eli Ellis going off for 1 more from deep ... the Rebels scored 19 in the quarter to get back in the game ... while the Rebels were finding the range from downtown Mike Rowe's favorite TEAM stayed on top with defense - turning SG over on the perimeter 7 times in the qt. getting 2 transition buckets and Brayden Weber added 3/4 from the FT line ... SG outscored Trimble 19-11 in the quarter ... Trimble 33 South Gallia 29 end of 3 ... Coach Wolfe changed strategy in the 4th ... as the Tomcats now were jumping the perimeter scorers for SG , the Rebels first 3 possession in the 4th saw the ball go down low, then an extra pass going back door for 3 straight shots at the rim (2 by CJ Mayse and 1 for Eli Ellis) ... the Tomcats kept the Rebels at arms length - crashing the boards, turning SG over 4 more times AND taking the ball to the rim which turned into FT shots - THS went 8/11 from the line in the 4th and Brayden Weber added 2 fgs in transition to seal the deal ... the Rebels could not get closer than 3 points in te quarter ... Trimble 49 South Gallia 42 a final ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - South Gallia

Scoring ... Garrett Saunders 13, Nick Hicks 11, CJ Mayse 8, Eli Ellis 5, Jared Burdette 3, Kyle Northup 2
3 Pointers ... 8/18 ... Garrett Saunders 3,Nick Hicks 3, Eli Ellis 1, Jared Burdette 1
FTs ... 2/5
TOs ... 22
PnP ... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition

... the slow first half start offensively - 2/7 from behind the arc ... no inside game ... 11 TOs ... ALL put the Rebels in the hole after 16 minutes of action ... on the night SG showed 4 perimeter scorers and the D4 size in the paint is there to get what they did at the beginning of the 4th - the 3 straight dumps inside and the extra back door pass for easy 2's ... not enough of an inside game as the Rebels only got to the line for 5 FT attempts ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Trimble

Scoring ... Brayden Weber 19, Blake Guffey 15, Jeremiah Brown 11, Conner Wright 4
3 Pointers ... 0/8
FTs ....... 23/30
TOs ... 14
PnP ..... 12 fgs/ 24 points in the paint
PnT .... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition

... Blue Collar TEAM, Dirty Jobs - Mike Rowe ... kids who work their butts off for 32 minutes /physically punishing the opponent (legally) with screens/picks/double screens/back picks I love watching Howie's offensive schemes to get the shots at the rim - outstanding competitors who don't want to lose ... had the pleasure of chatting briefly with Coach Caldwell as he made his way up to the Cheap Seats to say hello and then again after the game to shake Coach's hand ... great coach even better person ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TVC
Varsity

Re: Trimble 49 South Gallia 42 a final ...

Post by TVC »

Why did SG best player (Hardy) not play in this one?

bradford7733
Waterboy

Post by bradford7733 »

Nice write up Floyd thanks for coming and watching the little d4 guys.. Hard to win at Trimble when u have 22 turnovers and are without your leading scorer,but our Rebels give it a shot. Sg has to get healthy and put some pieces back together before tournament time

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TVC wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:14 am Why did SG best player (Hardy) not play in this one?
I was wondering about why he wasn’t mentioned as well

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 am
TVC wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:14 am Why did SG best player (Hardy) not play in this one?
I was wondering about why he wasn’t mentioned as well
...Braxton Hardy DID play - came off the bench ... Wow - as this was my first look at both teams, I wasn't aware that #1 Hardy was usually a starter ... I don't have the grade levels of the So Gallia players ( no roster sheets) last night so I don't know who are the youngsters who will be back next year BUT SG has lots of length in both Hardy/Burdette as well as size/length on the JV team as well ... so what I saw last night - 4 scorers on the offensive side for SG with their best player (Hardy) coming off the bench - nice basketball looking, talented team ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Watching THIS YEARS Tomcats team almost tilts the scale for me ...

1. Howie
2. Norm
3. Blaine

You can really put em in any order and not be wrong. But Howie does more - with less - than any high school coach I have ever seen.

Return to “Boys Basketball”