Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Post by wobycat »

None of those guys technically made bad calls. There was one blocking foul and a charge that I didn’t agree with but those are going to happen. However there were numerous times where both burg and waverly were just hammering each other and no call was made yet they made some hand check calls right past the half court line. That’s what I am griping about. Credit both teams for not taking it to far with the physical play.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm
Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:03 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

I have officiated. Did it when I went to college. There were days I was good and some days I wasn’t. Wasn’t afraid to admit it. I’m not going to praise some guys jock strap because he officiates at high levels. Most guys who work high levels have to kiss butt to get there anyway. He may be the best official in the area but the game between burg and Waverly was inconsistent. That’s the worse officiating.

Honestly thought Jenkins made bad calls ,but I guess it's all in how you look at it .
Where was Jenkins even mentioned?

,I just now mention him ,I thought he made a few bad calls or no calls but I did not bring it up because it did not affect the game ,the third tef I don't remember if he made a call at all truth is they called a ton of fouls in first period alone but they could have called more imo
I'm just trying to say the refs was not out to get anyone and didn't have a Woody for no one

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Schwartzel might be a good ref when he calls games other than against Burg. I would like to be able to find out the amount of calls he has made against Burg over the years compared to the other team. All I was wondering is I would just like to know what caused him to hate Burg like he does. Did Barrick pizz him off at sometime because he has been around for about 20 years. Like was said, he is very cocky and really full of himself and loves to be the center of attention. He always has. Also heard that Schwartzel was the line ref that gave Barrett and the Buckeyes the favorable spot against ichigan a few years ago. He did good on that. LOL

No one is saying Holden doesn't foul or travel but he does get a TON of BS calls against him and it is because of who he is. No way does Marquez get away with that body up defense against Minford or Oak Hill or anyone else. Once he figured it wasn't getting called he continued to do it. Smart of him. Like was said, very inconsistent especially in the second half. Very lucky there wasn't a fight in that game because it came close a couple of times of getting out of hand and yes Jenkins is not a huge Burg fan as well but he did call some fouls on Waverly. He might have called the only foul waverly had in the 3rd qtr as it was 7-1.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

You lose to much sleep over these refs I could only imagine your excuses if burg loses

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:29 pm You lose to much sleep over these refs I could only imagine your excuses if burg loses
I can’t imagine, LOL.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Which one is Schwartzel?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I would agree with the above sentiments about the inconsistencies...some absolute hand to hand combat wasn’t getting called (both ways) but then one I recall in particular was Robertson running by someone on a layup and getting called for a foul. I would agree that McDavid seems to have a quick whistle for anything Holden though (not this game).

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 pm Schwartzel might be a good ref when he calls games other than against Burg. I would like to be able to find out the amount of calls he has made against Burg over the years compared to the other team. All I was wondering is I would just like to know what caused him to hate Burg like he does. Did Barrick pizz him off at sometime because he has been around for about 20 years. Like was said, he is very cocky and really full of himself and loves to be the center of attention. He always has. Also heard that Schwartzel was the line ref that gave Barrett and the Buckeyes the favorable spot against ichigan a few years ago. He did good on that. LOL

No one is saying Holden doesn't foul or travel but he does get a TON of BS calls against him and it is because of who he is. No way does Marquez get away with that body up defense against Minford or Oak Hill or anyone else. Once he figured it wasn't getting called he continued to do it. Smart of him. Like was said, very inconsistent especially in the second half. Very lucky there wasn't a fight in that game because it came close a couple of times of getting out of hand and yes Jenkins is not a huge Burg fan as well but he did call some fouls on Waverly. He might have called the only foul waverly had in the 3rd qtr as it was 7-1.
I have heard that Schwartzel isn’t the biggest fan of Coach Barrick so you may be on to something as to why there may be some biased that way. I’ve saw Jenkins show his you know what going chest to chest with a coach a few years back resulting in fans coming out of the stands on to the floor trying to go after him. These two maybe good officials but from what I’ve seen they want to make the game about them rather than being invisible and focusing on calling a good game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:33 am Which one is Schwartzel?
May the Schwartzel be with you.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

y'all really complaining about the officiating? Burg won by 23

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 am Had to sleep on it before I commented on this one. Read all the post game comments so I’m going to bullet point what really went down last night.

- Jv game was a good one. Both waverly and burg will be battling it out for a couple of years

- Waverly game plan. Take Holden’s limbs off each time he had ball. Get him in foul trouble or worse maybe a technical and off the court. Waverly successful in that part. He still had a double double and played two quarters.

- waverly struggles with teams that can guard. They look lost on who is going to take over. Marquez did a pretty good job at times and Wolfe but that’s it.

- Officials were inconsistent for both teams all night. Both teams were getting down right hammered at times but then they’d call a cheap one 30 ft from the basket.

- subs at the end. Ater immediately put his bench in like after one play. I don’t think he was paying that much to what waverly coach was doing

Other than that, burg showed why they are number 3 in the state and should move up. They can score 1-5. Their bench is solid, and they have a D1 basketball player.
Burg JV team is also missing 3, maybe 4 sophomores. I'm also not aware of how many underclassmen are on Waverly's varsity outside of Robertson either.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Schwartzel is one of the best refs in SE Ohio, hands down. He isn't going to call every game perfectly but he calls every game fair.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

A Big Ten official is "out to get" the Burg. Comical.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:49 am A Big Ten official is "out to get" the Burg. Comical.
In a 23 point win.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:49 am A Big Ten official is "out to get" the Burg. Comical.
In a 23 point win.
Why do people keep referring to the score and this guy’s level of officiating? He may be really good, He may have college experience? Who cares?

I seriously doubt he’s out to get burg but this particular game he was on a crew that was inconsistent. Maybe he wasn’t the inconsistent one, but it was very inconsistent. I honestly didn’t even know he did college games. Apparently I don’t get too excited about ref experience like some do on here.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:41 am
In a 23 point win.
Why do people keep referring to the score and this guy’s level of officiating? He may be really good, He may have college experience? Who cares?

I seriously doubt he’s out to get burg but this particular game he was on a crew that was inconsistent. Maybe he wasn’t the inconsistent one, but it was very inconsistent. I honestly didn’t even know he did college games. Apparently I don’t get too excited about ref experience like some do on here.

Inconsistency is one thing.....Claiming a referee is out to get a certain school is just laughable to me.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 am

In a 23 point win.

Inconsistency is one thing.....Claiming a referee is out to get a certain school is just laughable to me.
I agree. Not my opinion but a few believe so. I don’t think refs are going after schools but I do believe they target kids because I’ve talked to officials who’ve claimed they have. There’s one kid on burgs team specifically. So In a round about way, they are targeting the school. An opinion of a kid and/or coach should not affect the calling of a game but it does. I believe norm gets more attention than other coaches. Just saying

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:48 am

I agree. Not my opinion but a few believe so. I don’t think refs are going after schools but I do believe they target kids because I’ve talked to officials who’ve claimed they have. There’s one kid on burgs team specifically. So In a round about way, they are targeting the school. An opinion of a kid and/or coach should not affect the calling of a game but it does. I believe norm gets more attention than other coaches. Just saying
[/qu
"Remember", when everything else fails, we can always blame it on "Norm". I've wondered at times that if Norm would have ever been the coach at the Burg, how would some of these Burg fans have felt about him ? It is laughable at times to read some of these posts.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:42 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:48 am

"Remember", when everything else fails, we can always blame it on "Norm". I've wondered at times that if Norm would have ever been the coach at the Burg, how would some of these Burg fans have felt about him ? It is laughable at times to read some of these posts.

what are you even talking about? I am actually defending norm for once. I was saying norm sometimes might not get a favorable call because of some of the stuff he's done to officials. To me that should not have a bearing from game to game but I would bet it does.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 pm Schartzel is the best ref in the area by a mile
Good or not so good refs , that is what it is , my problem with a few of them today is how the stare down a kid after they make a call , and telling them to get their smile off of their face , sad these are kids , the adult should make the call and move on period ..

Return to “Boys Basketball”