Official Suspended by OHSAA

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."
It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
I’m not disagreeing with you..... only throwing in another point

It has been said that WhiteOak wanted to wear their “lucky orange jerseys.” I’m assuming they’ve won most of their games in these jerseys and consider them “lucky.” Then, is the official “doing the right thing” when the school is trying to circumvent the rules to use a different jersey based off superstition?

I’m totally on the board that it’s not a big deal and as long as jerseys aren’t the same color then it really shouldn’t matter... just giving some food for thought
If that was the case, then that’s different but I have this understanding that coaches for the most part have integrity and want to follow the rules.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

This is crazy. Rules are not that hard to follow. If Whiteoak had their white jerseys and knew the rule then their coach should be disciplined somehow also.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am

It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
I’m not disagreeing with you..... only throwing in another point

It has been said that WhiteOak wanted to wear their “lucky orange jerseys.” I’m assuming they’ve won most of their games in these jerseys and consider them “lucky.” Then, is the official “doing the right thing” when the school is trying to circumvent the rules to use a different jersey based off superstition?

I’m totally on the board that it’s not a big deal and as long as jerseys aren’t the same color then it really shouldn’t matter... just giving some food for thought
If that was the case, then that’s different but I have this understanding that coaches for the most part have integrity and want to follow the rules.

Then that would also be assuming a well-respected official, in a district tournament game, would knowingly be circumventing the rules as well. Just doesn't add up. I think it has to be 1 of 2 things. Either whomever filed the report has an axe to grind with the official involved, or someone is throwing a singular individual under the bus for one reason or another. Again, did not making a team change a jersey have any bearing on the game itself? Could the official have made a mistake by not making them change? Sure. Is the punishment for that denying regional and possible state opportunities?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I agree that the Coach or AD should be disciplined before the ref.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

And by NFHS rule 10-6-4 the game should have began with a direct technical foul applied to the head coach of Whiteoak. Which did not happen.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.
Which is ridiculous as well.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I would say there is a communication problem if it has happened two years in a row.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.
White oak should have to play shirts and skins next game with them being skins. I understand rules are in place for certain reasons but rules are in place to keep from teams gaining a competitive advantage. This rule would not have been enforced in a regular season game and we know it. Nor should it. Now if white oak was doing this to gain some sort of advantage, then yes, but it was probably an oversight, albeit a dumb one. But here’s the problem I have with it. The officials are the authority for that contest. They should be able to make exceptions to some rules when they feel it’s necessary or at least keeping them from influencing the final decision during the contest.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am And by NFHS rule 10-6-4 the game should have began with a direct technical foul applied to the head coach of Whiteoak. Which did not happen.
I didn't claim mistakes weren't made. I did claim that the punishment seems just a bit much sir. I'm sure you know this official. You know his reputation and track record.

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

IMO pure BS, if both coaches agree to it then it falls back on them, they accepted the decision, and once the games starts what you going to do, delay the game until it gets fixed? I mean the Ref in question has done a great job every time I have seen him ref. He never makes himself part of the game or the moment like I say a lot of guys do, he lets the players decided the outcome.

Hell what if funny to me, is that these other rules that just get ignored and referees suffer no consequences. Just a shame that both Girls and Boys Basektball may have lost one of the very best refs in southern ohio area.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

End of the day Sunday. Everyone is a little tired and there’s snow to drive home in.

Whiteoak asks to wear Orange — official says “what the heck”.

Waterford obviously didn’t see an issue. They could have said — “no”.

The lucky uniforms are obviously no longer designated as such.

I’m betting this won’t happen next year.

Tough outcome for our referee who is one of our best. He’s one that you don’t hear his name when coaches discuss referees — when stories get exchanged about who you don’t want on the road or etc...

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am
White oak should have to play shirts and skins next game with them being skins. I understand rules are in place for certain reasons but rules are in place to keep from teams gaining a competitive advantage. This rule would not have been enforced in a regular season game and we know it. Nor should it. Now if white oak was doing this to gain some sort of advantage, then yes, but it was probably an oversight, albeit a dumb one. But here’s the problem I have with it. The officials are the authority for that contest. They should be able to make exceptions to some rules when they feel it’s necessary or at least keeping them from influencing the final decision during the contest.
specially if both coaches agree to the Ref's decision, now if he would have said oh well its a forfeit could you imagine the Uproar?

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

People can’t seem to read brackets. You would think it’s an easy thing to do.

Apparently....

At the district level in our current 2 district champion format.

The 1 seed will always be home. Wear Whites!!
If you beat the 1 seed you become them in the next game. Wear whites!!

The 2 seed will be home for the District Semi. Wear Whites!! They will always be away for Final. Regardless of other outcomes. Wear Away Jersey!!

The 3 seed will always be away. Wear Away Jersey!!

The 4 seed will be away for District Semi Wear Away Jersey!! The 4 seed will be home for District Final ( see top rule). Wear Whites!!!

————————————————————-

If you are the 7 or the 10 and you advance to district play then you are now the 2!

If you are the 6 or 11 and... then you are now the 3!!

If you are the 5 or 12 or 13 and... you are now the 4!!

If you are the 8 or 9 or even the 16 and.... you are now the 1. Congrats and wear Whites!!

Simple ain’t it.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bradyquinnd
Waterboy

Post by bradyquinnd »

This entire story is just crazy, IMO. if it is true what I am hearing, ... then SHAME on the OHSAA. They B---h about NOT having enough officials then turn around and do this to one of the BEST in SE Ohio??? then they get what they deserve. I get that rules are rules but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, now you are going to hurt the next 4 teams he would have had in the District game and regional game because he will not be there. Good Call OHSAA!!!

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Who told the Waverly and Sheridan players to go back in the locker room at halftime when a man was having a heart attack in the stands? I doubt protocol was followed at that time, but it was the right thing to do. As an administrator I feel as though if the same mistake is made more than once it is either 1) the fault of the person making the mistake (not the issue in this case) or 2) it must be the fault of the person explaining the process. The fact that something very similar, and rare, has happened twice at the same venue, makes me think there is some miscommunication taking place.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Again, I dont understand why a team would even try and wear anything besides what they are supposed to wear. It is such a simple thing to follow a simple direction since it was stated earlier they had their white jerseys.

Who was the official who got into trouble? (Dont see why this would be a secret)

Why is only one official responsible?

What is Whiteoaks punishment going to be?

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

I think this is great! The official should have been suspended, These guys think once they put those stripes on that they have total control of the universe. These officials don't make the rules and I am personally thrilled that someone finally stood up and put a stop to it. Hopefully said official will learn from this and realize he is human just as the rest of us are.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm This thread will get uglier until someone spills who reported it.

Someone important is my guess

I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

I have seen many games this year and feel as though the officiating has been great. Kudos to the officials.

As the home team, Whiteoak should have worn their white uniforms as OHSAA policy states and not even asked. What even gives them the right? I find the "lucky orange" uniforms comment kind of funny. There's a reason the OHSAA has rules and regulations in place. I know it seems petty, but little things always lead to big things.

Return to “Boys Basketball”