Jackson Ironmen 2019

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Jackson Ironmen 2019

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson looked good last night at the passing scrimmage.
I know those things don’t mean much . Some positive things however , Icenhower was making every throw with ease. Prater looks to be a real nice target this year , smooth and much faster with very good hands. Treylan davis is a nice target at 6’ 5”. Seemed to have athletes all over the field . Of course Jackson should have a very powerful run game with a stable of seniors in the backfield. Jayden Spires looks huge as fast . Jackson should give defenses plenty to think about . The defense should be fast and aggressive as always .

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Unioto has some nice players too . Their QB looked athletic and very mobile .

Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

Unioto looked really bad. It’s early July so they have time to get better. Our offense was more or less throwing on air. Unioto looked completely lost coverage wise. Next week will see how good our passing game will be. Defensively we will be tough. Davis looked out of place at linebacker but still have almost 2 months to get adjusted. Prater will be that locked down corner. Just need to find another one.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Sunoco wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 pm Unioto looked really bad. It’s early July so they have time to get better. Our offense was more or less throwing on air. Unioto looked completely lost coverage wise. Next week will see how good our passing game will be. Defensively we will be tough. Davis looked out of place at linebacker but still have almost 2 months to get adjusted. Prater will be that locked down corner. Just need to find another one.
Hard to judge a linebacker on a no contact passing scrimmage . Jackson has 5-6 kids who can play inside and outside backers . Davis will be a good player wherever he is. Should have 6-7 deep defensive line rotation, all state safety in parks. The freshmen Winters will need reps also , he’s ready . Yes Jackson had kids running wide open but to see Ice flick his wrist and throw a ball 45 yards was fun to see. Jackson however should be about a downhill running game and hard nosed defense. We got away from that last year somewhat . I hope we get back to it more this year . However they will have the ability to throw also . Have to be balanced in today’s game . They’ll find another corner , even if it means moving a veteran player over there . Plenty of puzzle pieces , putting it together is the key.

Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Sunoco wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 pm Unioto looked really bad. It’s early July so they have time to get better. Our offense was more or less throwing on air. Unioto looked completely lost coverage wise. Next week will see how good our passing game will be. Defensively we will be tough. Davis looked out of place at linebacker but still have almost 2 months to get adjusted. Prater will be that locked down corner. Just need to find another one.
Hard to judge a linebacker on a no contact passing scrimmage . Jackson has 5-6 kids who can play inside and outside backers . Davis will be a good player wherever he is. Should have 6-7 deep defensive line rotation, all state safety in parks. The freshmen Winters will need reps also , he’s ready . Yes Jackson had kids running wide open but to see Ice flick his wrist and throw a ball 45 yards was fun to see. Jackson however should be about a downhill running game and hard nosed defense. We got away from that last year somewhat . I hope we get back to it more this year . However they will have the ability to throw also . Have to be balanced in today’s game . They’ll find another corner , even if it means moving a veteran player over there . Plenty of puzzle pieces , putting it together is the key.
I agree Davis will be really good just not sure if LB is his place.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

It’ll all work out

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What’s the iron men’s ceiling this year?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am What’s the iron men’s ceiling this year?
9’6’’

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hilarious. How far will the football team go?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 am Hilarious. How far will the football team go?
Oh I think you can read more into my post than you did

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 am Hilarious. How far will the football team go?
Depends on many things. Have the kids put the work in to get stronger , will kids step up and replace the leadership of last years seniors , will the kids buy in and put the team first ...meaning willingly move positions , give up stats for wins , will the coaches fit the puzzle together , will the team get the lucky bounces or close calls , will the injury bug stay away .

Many things factor in to great seasons. Some teams seem to gel and some teams never seem to find their niche . I would say this is a slightly above average Jackson team that could have a shot at 10-0 but will need many things to happen . Most years all those things don’t happen .

Having said that the main focus right now is competing for playing time and week 1 with the Wellston Golden Rockets

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 pm
Depends on many things. Have the kids put the work in to get stronger , will kids step up and replace the leadership of last years seniors , will the kids buy in and put the team first ...meaning willingly move positions , give up stats for wins , will the coaches fit the puzzle together , will the team get the lucky bounces or close calls , will the injury bug stay away .

Many things factor in to great seasons. Some teams seem to gel and some teams never seem to find their niche . I would say this is a slightly above average Jackson team that could have a shot at 10-0 but will need many things to happen . Most years all those things don’t happen .

Having said that the main focus right now is competing for playing time and week 1 with the Wellston Golden Rockets
Thanks for the reply. The line will dictate a lot too

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Our over/under is 9.5 wins...to surpass 9, gotta have a lot of those points poo bear made. If it doesn’t all work out likely an 8-9 win team. 7 wins would be very disappointing barring several key injuries. Deep deep defense and running attack. The big players must be their biggest in the biggest games.

Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Our over/under is 9.5 wins...to surpass 9, gotta have a lot of those points poo bear made. If it doesn’t all work out likely an 8-9 win team. 7 wins would be very disappointing barring several key injuries. Deep deep defense and running attack. The big players must be their biggest in the biggest games.
Great points. Line play is critical on both sides of the ball. There is enough depth to play a lot of guys this year to keep everyone fresh. Not sure yet who will step up to be the leader of this team but I'm sure someone will. 8/9 wins is more likely to occur if the injuries stay to a minimum. The talent is there for 10 wins but have to get over the hump for week 5 to make that happen.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Talk to some of the players. They are excited and ready. They feel the buzz in the air just as everyone else. Numbers were good through off season workouts and the effort too. We need the breaks to go our way and the injury bug off our backs. And as Poo Bear stated. One game at a time and that starts with Wellston.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
BillC
Riding the Bench

Post by BillC »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 am This isn’t a fast backfield overall. Spires can take it to the house but is more of a punishing type back. Graham is also a hard runner who is best between the tackles. Parks and Johnson are similar , smaller than the other two but strong fast and hard nosed. Both need to do a good job of taking care of the ball as they fight for yardage. Icenhower is very good at ball fakes and is a formidable runner also. Get these backs going downhill and let them punish tacklers . Spires and Graham need carries to get going. Keep running them and they’ll break one in the 3rd and 4th quarters . Parks and Johnson are great change of pace runners . When you have a thoroughbreds you turn em loose and let em run. This will help the line get in a rhythm and fire out and engage someone. The zone blocking in space is harder than getting a hat on a hat.

Jackson will be fine but needs to find its indentity early and not later.

Ice can sure sling it around and will have several nice weapons to throw too. But Jackson football shoulda always be about a smash mouth run game . My 2 cents
If someone can “sure sling it around” and you have the weapons, why should it always be about smash mouth run game? That makes no sense to me. Especially when size is so obviously going to be an issue this year. I’d guess this team will likely be the smallest Jackson has had in years, if not ever. I would think the first priority would be getting the ball in the end zone with the best available tools. Western Brown would have been a win had the mentality not been “we must run the ball” . We waited too long to use the tools available.
Just my opinion

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

BillC wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 am This isn’t a fast backfield overall. Spires can take it to the house but is more of a punishing type back. Graham is also a hard runner who is best between the tackles. Parks and Johnson are similar , smaller than the other two but strong fast and hard nosed. Both need to do a good job of taking care of the ball as they fight for yardage. Icenhower is very good at ball fakes and is a formidable runner also. Get these backs going downhill and let them punish tacklers . Spires and Graham need carries to get going. Keep running them and they’ll break one in the 3rd and 4th quarters . Parks and Johnson are great change of pace runners . When you have a thoroughbreds you turn em loose and let em run. This will help the line get in a rhythm and fire out and engage someone. The zone blocking in space is harder than getting a hat on a hat.

Ice can sure sling it around and will have several nice weapons to throw too. But Jackson football shoulda always be about a smash mouth run game . My 2 cents
If someone can “sure sling it around” and you have the weapons, why should it always be about smash mouth run game? That makes no sense to me. Especially when size is so obviously going to be an issue this year. I’d guess this team will likely be the smallest Jackson has had in years, if not ever. I would think the first priority would be getting the ball in the end zone with the best available tools. Western Brown would have been a win had the mentality not been “we must run the ball” . We waited too long to use the tools available.
Just my opinion
I think Jackson does best when it establishes the run then passes out of that . When has Jackson ever been a great passing team ?

Western brown was lost because they gave up 27 unanswered points in first quarter . Totally unprepared to play a football game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BillC wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Just my opinion
Western Brown game was lost because the defense was completely lost the entire 1st qrt

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

The ironmen will field a very nice team this year, lots of athletes and lots of string kids.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Was super Impressed with Jackson during the passing scrimmage . Icenhower can sling it anywhere . The freshmen winters looked great as a reciever . Strong hands, big strong body. Garrett Dailey looks more confident this season. A lot of weapons .

Return to “Football”