Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: WK3 Ashland (KY) @ Wheelersburg

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Congrats! Was crazy to be tuning off Ironton game on FB & see Burg game restarting after lightning delay.

The looked evenly matched. Lots of flags that looked petty, but I was watching on iPhone plus screen, so I’ll go with the stripes who were there who kept the game from ending at regulation.
I didn’t care who won, just stating what it looked like from a neutral fan.

ashland players/coaches/fans have to be gutted while Burg’s are elated and needed the OT to get the W!

Hopefully a ReMatch!!!
KEEP WINNING!!!

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Hard to believe that Ashland Coaches go for 2 in OT when the burg kicker is a sure thing on EP. also hard to believe that they allow the best player on the field, on 4th and 4, to go pretty much untouched into end zone for TD.

Burg coaching was superior, as expected

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Good win pirates!!!

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Congrats to the Pirates! And I'm sure Ashland will rebound down the Road wish the best of luck!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

PirateBB wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Hard to believe that Ashland Coaches go for 2 in OT when the burg kicker is a sure thing on EP. also hard to believe that they allow the best player on the field, on 4th and 4, to go pretty much untouched into end zone for TD.

I think it had more to do with his kicker more than the burgs
I didn’t care for the fake punt or onside kick

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Wow...special teams the difference. 6/6 on all kicks by #80 and great kickoffs (2 fgs, 45 yarder to tie as time expires) and #6 averaged 48 yards per punt on 4 attempts. Both teams played w/ a ton of effort and heart. Glad I watched this one. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

What a game!!! Burg up 24-13 and Ashland comes storming back to take the lead only to have Burg come back and win in OT.

Sammons kid will be kicking somewhere on Saturdays after his HS career is over. Good that Burg has him for 2.5 season. Unbelievable kick to send it into OT. Even got hit right after he kicked it and still made it pretty easily.

Big win for Burg and now that they are getting healthy they are starting to click. Masters is starting to get comfortable throwing the ball and once Matthews gets back 100% where he can play both offense and defense, lookout! Burg will start to roll. Horsley ran hard tonight and got some big yards when needed.

Big points game for the playoffs for Burg. GC will be also so Burg needs to get that win as well.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fbnut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 pm
PirateBB wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Hard to believe that Ashland Coaches go for 2 in OT when the burg kicker is a sure thing on EP. also hard to believe that they allow the best player on the field, on 4th and 4, to go pretty much untouched into end zone for TD.

I agree! You have a kicker that can put it in the end zone put it in there.

Fake punt might have worked had they ran the right runner.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm Ashland’s main back is out for entire game. That’s what the announcers said.
Sounds like burg is doing better!

Was just confirming. The mytown broadcasting fee that is doing the Ironton games on live video via FB, said Ashland was without main offensive back.

Not sure if this is true. Just curious.
#2 and #8 were the tomcats backs they were the starters as far as I know they didn't have a back out I was talking to an Ashland fan and he said that those 2 were very good and they were the starters

Burg grad 85
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Ashland had the worst coaching staff decisions I've seen in a while. Nobody fielding punts, offensively they went into clock control way too early in the game when they were moving the ball and scoring.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

WOW! That was one of the best football games I've ever witnessed. Back and fourth like two heavy weight sluggers leaving it all on the line. Both teams showed unrelenting resiliency. I was most impressed with the Pirate the 45-FG, with the pressure on as time ran out, and he drilled it. That's something hard for the pros to do. I'll give Congrats to both programs.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 pm
fbnut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 pm

I agree! You have a kicker that can put it in the end zone put it in there.

Fake punt might have worked had they ran the right runner.
Maybe but Ashland had no one back and when the burg sent a man in motion I think everyone knew what was coming

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Post by mattash »

Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Sammons from 45 yards out.

Sophomore Kicker.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

LucasDavenport wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:43 pm Sammons from 45 yards out.

Sophomore Kicker.
Nice weapon to have

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

I think this W turns season in positive direction

Burg grew up a lot in this game

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 pm Congrats! Was crazy to be tuning off Ironton game on FB & see Burg game restarting after lightning delay.

The looked evenly matched. Lots of flags that looked petty, but I was watching on iPhone plus screen, so I’ll go with the stripes who were there who kept the game from ending at regulation.
I didn’t care who won, just stating what it looked like from a neutral fan.

ashland players/coaches/fans have to be gutted while Burg’s are elated and needed the OT to get the W!

Hopefully a ReMatch!!!
KEEP WINNING!!!
Same crew that did Burg v Ironton Week 1.

Hensley Referee — Several State Finals

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

OUTSTANDING game...great battle...great win! Congrats young men, keep it rolling!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

BurgBaskets wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 pm I think this W turns season in positive direction

Burg grew up a lot in this game

Always nice to get a player like Matthews back and Horsley being a little healthier. They are both Seniors and both made big plays tonight.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Onside to start game gave tomcats ball at midfield and fake punt in tomcat side of field. 3and 1 and go wide not straight up middle the couldn’t stop burg for les than 4 yards all 2nd half. There were more.

Return to “Football”