OVC & SOC Merge Talk

TigerMania
JV Team

Re: Ironton and the OVC

Post by TigerMania »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:06 pm Why wouldn’t they. Powerhouse of Hocking County only given up 6 points this year. Odds on favorite to make it to state finals in div 6. Ironton is Div 5 so they are comparable
Sounds real intimidating, probably not a good idea if we would try to get them on the schedule.
😂😂😂

I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

Post by I-TownFanatic »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:10 pmDitto
Fair enough

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the ovc is a great fit for the teams in it.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Not in favor of a merger. Leave the leagues alone. Lots of traditional rivalries. Some members need to get better in football in the OVC but there is plenty of solid competition. The other sports are very competitive and travel is good.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm with you roscoe. I think it's a mute topic saying the league doesn't prepare you for the playoffs. look at the tigers non conf. schedule then the league schedule is loaded at the back end. you make it to the playoffs it's anybody that is lucky enough to advance. and we play in a very, very tough region. ironton barely got beat by Johnstown last year who was in the state game. any tean a top anything will have some weaker opponents through their schedule. it is just part of sports.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 pm
Prime Time wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:06 pm Why wouldn’t they. Powerhouse of Hocking County only given up 6 points this year. Odds on favorite to make it to state finals in div 6. Ironton is Div 5 so they are comparable
Sounds real intimidating, probably not a good idea if we would try to get them on the schedule.
😂😂😂
Why? Only one division down. And usually a strong non-conference schedule. Plus, two teams leaving the TVC Hocking opens up two more games they could load their schedule with.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

If we were to change the league into multiple divisions I would like to see separate breakups for football and basketball. Going strictly by size can leave you stuck in non competitive games and cost you a lot of harbin points. A lot of schools have learned to stack their schedules and it doesn't do you any good beating teams that win 1 or 2 games a year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

they hain't changing anything 98.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Word is leaking out that the SEC has turned Ironton down. Ironton just does not have the locker rooms for the visiting schools. But if they are willing to play every game on the road the will be allowed in.

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

laser breath wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 am
Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am I figured this kind of nonsense would start. be careful what you wish for or we'll talk ourselves right out of a league that makes sense finally. remember there are more sports than football involved. you have to make your program better. and your staff better.
There are a lot more sports involved but at Ironton it’s football driven , and IMO if Ironton wants to return to the team they use to be and compete at the state every year they have it get out of the OVC , look at the scores 52-0 , 49-0, 48-12 , 52-6 , 36-6 how is that preparing you for what really matters which is the playoffs ? It don’t
Yes and they’ve dominated these teams like this for one solid year! Time to get out of the OVC :lol: :lol:

Might wanna read the entire post ... IF ironton wants to return to the powerhouse they use to be year in and year out they have to gwt out of the OVC not enough overall competition, there will always be a couple good teams but most are not competitive every year

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I wouldn't mind seeing gallia out but they raise the bar in all sports which is good. Oak hill woul be the only logical replacement really.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Tripaces wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:01 pm
Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am

There are a lot more sports involved but at Ironton it’s football driven , and IMO if Ironton wants to return to the team they use to be and compete at the state every year they have it get out of the OVC , look at the scores 52-0 , 49-0, 48-12 , 52-6 , 36-6 how is that preparing you for what really matters which is the playoffs ? It don’t
Yes and they’ve dominated these teams like this for one solid year! Time to get out of the OVC :lol: :lol:

Might wanna read the entire post ... IF ironton wants to return to the powerhouse they use to be year in and year out they have to gwt out of the OVC not enough overall competition, there will always be a couple good teams but most are not competitive every year
Ironton needs the ovc. They ain’t returning to the power house unless they recruit heavy and a lot every year, and that will put them in d4 where they will struggle. Which I doubt happens, considering they’ ticked off about every local coach in the area. The enrollment is dwindling. No one is moving in. If ironton wants to be a powerhouse, they need to do the best they can to become a small division school powerhouse. Scheduling up will only get you beat most games and then you take a chance of not even making it like Johnstown-Monroe.

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

laser breath wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Ironton needs the ovc. They ain’t returning to the power house unless they recruit heavy and a lot every year, and that will put them in d4 where they will struggle. Which I doubt happens, considering they’ ticked off about every local coach in the area. The enrollment is dwindling. No one is moving in. If ironton wants to be a powerhouse, they need to do the best they can to become a small division school powerhouse. Scheduling up will only get you beat most games and then you take a chance of not even making it like Johnstown-Monroe.
Disagree I bought a house in Ironton

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Ironton has been in the league how many years? How many times have the won the OVC? I think with all other sports are competitive. Ironton football has dominated this year only and I would give it a chance as graduation hits every team and see if ironton runs the table for 5 years in a row then you start think 🤔 is this league helping or hurting our football program.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

14U wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 am Ironton has been in the league how many years? How many times have the won the OVC? I think with all other sports are competitive. Ironton football has dominated this year only and I would give it a chance as graduation hits every team and see if ironton runs the table for 5 years in a row then you start think 🤔 is this league helping or hurting our football program.
Ironton lost to Ashland, Burg beat Ashland. Why is Ironton being crowned already .
Last edited by Poo Bear on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

14U wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 am Ironton has been in the league how many years? How many times have the won the OVC? I think with all other sports are competitive. Ironton football has dominated this year only and I would give it a chance as graduation hits every team and see if ironton runs the table for 5 years in a row then you start think 🤔 is this league helping or hurting our football program.
Burg will have won the soc for the 6th time in a row this year. In the 90s, they won it every year but one. They have more soc trophies than the other teams combined in football. Not once has the school thought they needed to leave the program. I don’t understand this type of thinking.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Tripaces wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 am
laser breath wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Congrats
Disagree I bought a house in Ironton

14U
S

Post by 14U »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am
Burg will have won the soc for the 6th time in a row this year. In the 90s, they won it every year but one. They have more soc trophies than the other teams combined in football. Not once has the school thought they needed to leave the program. I don’t understand this type of thinking.
The OVC is and always has been a basketball conference. It’s hard getting football games these days unless your willing to travel 2 plus hours. The SOC is a better football conference with at lease 3 teams in playoffs a year. Burg runs the table but teams gives them a game.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:13 am
Ironton lost to Ashland, Burg beat Ashland. Why is Ironton being crowned already .
I think they are crowning theirselves in the OVC not the area or tristate. I just don’t think they can keep this up year after year like the lutz era or the burg years. Only time will see

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

14U wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 am
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:13 am
I think they are crowning theirselves in the OVC not the area or tristate. I just don’t think they can keep this up year after year like the lutz era or the burg years. Only time will see
Coal Grove will cycle through again and be a force. They always come around. Fairland always has athletes and the same happens with them. Chesapeake is the same and they have some years where they are ridiculously good across the board in all sports. Obviously Gallia Academy is on the upswing now and it looks to continue. Really the only schools who don't cycle as often are Rock Hill and South Point. Ironton will get competition in everything, including football. Things just aren't they way they were, especially with declining enrollment in all schools.

Return to “Football”