Ironton's Program - History

frankie
Varsity

Re: Ironton's Program - History

Post by frankie »

He just threw it up there and the receiver out jumped the 2 Tigers defensive backs to catch it. Whatever you want to call it.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

kantucky wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:42 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 pm Ironton lost two games in 1977. Tied in 79. Lost and tied in 80. Lost in 82 and tied in 83. Idk how Ironton got that lie by Ohsaa
That's my fault, it was to have said, regular season wins. As far as the tie, it's 'unbeaten streak' not win streak.
You are correct, I graduated in 82, we didn't lose a regular season game the entire time I was in High School. I was a Sophomore during the 79 State Championship win.

The 78 Team was something else, probably was the best Team Ironton ever had.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

The 1981 team was a dandy one, too. They went 10-0 and didn't make the playoffs. They missed out by fractions of a point. Backfield led by Dennis Bacon with Jimmy Morris and Mike Smith as halfbacks was an offense to behold.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 pm Ironton lost two games in 1977. Tied in 79. Lost and tied in 80. Lost in 82 and tied in 83. Idk how Ironton got that lie by Ohsaa
That's my fault, it was to have said, regular season wins. As far as the tie, it's 'unbeaten streak' not win streak.
You are correct, I graduated in 82, we didn't lose a regular season game the entire time I was in High School. I was a Sophomore during the 79 State Championship win.

that was the class that I would have been a senior on. I played with this bunch from grade school through my sophomore year. then didn't play anymore after a serious knee injury. but they were tough. missed the last game costing them a playoff berth, because a school district was on strike. they took I think like the top 2 teams in each region, if memory serves me correct. at that time there was only aaa,aa,a as far as divisions. and ironton was aa.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

For my 2 cents. I would rank the top 5 as this.
#1. 1978 team. Lutz has said the 2 off tackles were so good you could line up in their inside shoulder and they would still turn you outside.
#2. 1981 team. Quite possibly the best backfield ever with Snyder bacon smith and Morris
#3. 1989. 14-0 state champs you can’t really argue with that. Brownstead conwell. Cyrus Coffman were all studs and pleasant was money at qb all year
#4. 1993 there are a bunch of teams that are real close together for me after #3 but this team had one of the best running backs in ironton history in Jackson but the rest of the backfield was no slough either in king cane and branch at We that was a Huntington transfer for 1 year
# 5. 1996. I know they should have gone farther but this team was as talented all around as any ironton had beat snow and Clark their senior year but lost in a rainstorm to a running team. The weather and sloppy field just killed irontons speed advantage Edwards. Brice Lewis young ll super fast on that team
Honorable mention. 1982. 1999 1992 1979(biggest overachievers of all time) 1985 2001 and possibly moving up the rankings 2019

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

victor creed wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:36 am For my 2 cents. I would rank the top 5 as this.
#1. 1978 team. Lutz has said the 2 off tackles were so good you could line up in their inside shoulder and they would still turn you outside.
#2. 1981 team. Quite possibly the best backfield ever with Snyder bacon smith and Morris
#3. 1989. 14-0 state champs you can’t really argue with that. Brownstead conwell. Cyrus Coffman were all studs and pleasant was money at qb all year
#4. 1993 there are a bunch of teams that are real close together for me after #3 but this team had one of the best running backs in ironton history in Jackson but the rest of the backfield was no slough either in king cane and branch at We that was a Huntington transfer for 1 year
# 5. 1996. I know they should have gone farther but this team was as talented all around as any ironton had beat snow and Clark their senior year but lost in a rainstorm to a running team. The weather and sloppy field just killed irontons speed advantage Edwards. Brice Lewis young ll super fast on that team
Honorable mention. 1982. 1999 1992 1979(biggest overachievers of all time) 1985 2001 and possibly moving up the rankings 2019
That's game against CAPE took its toll against the Tigers. One of my favorite Ironton backs ever, James Lewis, was hurt and unable to play against St Clairsvile two weeks later on round one. I'll never forget that game. I had to work mid-night shift and go in early so I was standing on the field in front of their side to make a quick exit. I wished people could have heard their fans screaming at their coach. Yelling he'd better know blow this and all sorts of stuff. Coach Lutz wouldn't have been talked to like that ever. Then as the game was coming to a close I heard all their boast about how they were a lock on the state as we'd beaten CAPE and I thought, you all have no idea. The Ironton team they were playing wasn't nothing like the one that faced CAPE. they were beaten up pretty bad. Like a tomcat who'd been on the prowl.

A few years later, St Cairsville and Ironton met in Athens. Who remembers their band play hey hey goodbye before the game? Oh that was seriously sweet!!

Oh and that team will always be special to me! Beating that Machine CAPE with Clark and Snow. Ohio State's coach landing in a helicopter during the game. Standing room only 1 hour and 45 minutes before it started? Things like that is what made Iromton wonderfully and completely unique in football in our area. Nothin like them

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

kantucky wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:08 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:05 pm
kantucky wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm That would be a toughie. One team that many believe was the best ever was the 1978 undefeated team that didn't make the playoffs. That is WHEN Ironton started finding different opponents. It was WAY harder to make the playoffs back then. To get in with a few loses was unheard of. Not only did you have to have a great season but you had to have it against good teams
Where would 93 rank ?
What about 99?
I'd have to let someone who knows a lot more about it than me tell you that. However, I do find it interesting watching Wheelersburg. At the beginning of the year, many thought they'd not make it to the playoffs. Now, they're 6 and 3

In 1999, Ironton's final season record was 6 and 3, they even lost their final two games only to lose the state championship in the last minute or so of the game. Who'd thought that team was going to the state. I can tell you my opinion, that team was just so physical. They were knocking the snot out of other teams

This Might help. Right out of the online Ironton Tribune.

1979 Fighting Tigers pulled off the unexpected with state title

By Jim Walker
Email the author
Published 5:19 am Saturday, October 26, 2019

Jim Walker
jim.walker@irontontribune.com

It was the kind of script that you can only find in Hollywood, except this one was a true story and it happened in Ironton.
It was 40 years ago this season that the 1979 Ironton Fighting Tigers hoisted the program’s first football state championship at the end of the season with a thrilling come-from-behind win over the Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary’s Fighting Irish.
The would have come as no surprise the previous season when Ironton steamrolled through 10 games but failed to make the playoffs due to a teachers’ strike at Logan High School and giving Ironton an average of points instead of the full amount.
But in 1979, fans and others knew Ironton would be good, but nowhere near what was witnessed in 1978.
It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature or the Fighting Tigers.
Expected to finish behind Jackson in the SEOAL race and have a good but not great season, Ironton surprised everyone with the season they put together.
“The 1979 team was the greatest group of overachievers I ever had during all my years at Ironton,” said former Ironton head football coach Bob Lutz.
“We had some really great athletes. Brent Wilcoxon was the quarterback, Joe Fletcher an end, Tim Hodges moved from end to fullback, and Gabriel Lewis was a halfback and corner who would just explode into a tackle. We had a group of linemen who accepted their roles and blended together beautifully and it all culminated with the big upset of Akron. This team will always be special because it was our first state championship.”
Hodges was the backside end with Fletcher on the strong side the previous season. But needing a fullback to replace Rodney Boykin, Lutz moved the athletic Hodges who ran for more than 1,000 yards in just nine games.
Wilcoxon was a junior who took over for the graduated Greg Ainsworth. Lewis was a returning starter as was halfback Terry Royal who averaged more than 10 yards a carry the previous season.
Senior tackle Joe Hacker was the biggest lineman at 6-3, 215. The guards were Darwin Conwell (5-9, 175) and David Clay (5-9, 165), the center Adam Ainsworth (6-1, 175), and the other tackle spot was shared by John Moritz (6-3, 190) and Brian Jenkins (6-1, 210).
Fletcher (6-2, 200) and Gene “Tink” Williams (5-11, 165) were the ends along with Craig Thomas (5-10, 150).
In 1978, Ironton outscored their opponents 358 to just 85. The closest game was 35-20 over Meigs. The 1979 team wasn’t as potent offensively, but the defense was strong again as the Fighting Tigers outscored 230 to 80 in the nine regular season games.
“We had a great team with some great athletes the previous season that just blew away the competition every week. The irony of that was we failed to make the playoffs under the playoff system at that time,” said Lutz.
“It was a team loaded with size, speed and depth. Our tackles were Robert Clay and Darryl Womack and they were so good you could line up on their inside shoulder and they would still turn you out.”
Ironton began the season with a 6-0 win at Ashland who was playing its third game of the season.
Ashland threatened twice but was stopped. With 13 seconds to go and Ashland at the 8-yard line and no timeouts left, Fletcher stripped quarterback Scott Crank of the ball. Crank recovered but time ran out.
Next came a 22-18 upset at home against rival Portsmouth. With Wilcoxon out due to an illness, Steve Sutton and Hodges split the quarterback duties.
Sutton scored on a 1-yard sneak and Hodges had an 82-yard TD run. Ironton had a goal line stand at the 2-yard line to end the first half and it was 14-0. Ironton fumbled the second half kickoff that led to a Portsmouth TD and an interception return set up the Trojans next score and it was 14-12.
A shanked punt led to a 48-yard Portsmouth scoring drive and they led 18-14 with 2:59 left. But Ironton got a first down on a fourth down run by Hodges, Royal ran twice for 34 yards to the 9, and after an incomplete pass to stop the clock, Sutton hit Fletcher with the game-winning pass with 30 seconds left.
The next week was a 13-13 tie at Washington Court House in a game Ironton actually dominated but some costly mistakes let the Blue Lions get the tie.
Ironton recovered a muffed punt and Royal ran 59 yards for a score on the next play for a 7-0 lead, but Jon Jon Thomas hit Brian Dodd with a 17-yard TD pass and the game was tied.
Ironton scored just before the half on a 1-yard run by Wilcoxon after he hit Fletcher with passes covering 15 and 25 yards and it was 13-7 at the half.
The Fighting Tigers’ defense shut down the Lion in the second half but they tied the score when Dodds ran back an interception 60 yards in the third quarter. Ironton had two chances to score with drives deep in Court House territory only to fumble away the ball once and have a drive stall due to penalties.
“A lot of those players from the 1978 team graduated and the 1979 team wasn’t expected to do much,” said Lutz. “We struggled early and we tied at Washington Court House when we should have won. But then our game starting coming together each week and then we had a big game with Jackson the final week of the regular season.”
Ironton opened SEOAL play with a 22-8 win over Waverly that saw the Fighting Tigers eat clock with time-consuming drives. Hodges carried 28 times for 173 yards and scored all three touchdowns.
Hodges had a 3-yard run early for a 7-0 lead but Waverly went up 8-7 on a 67-yard run by Rick Conley and a conversion pass. Fletcher appeared to have scored at the end of the half only to be ruled a yard short of the end zone.
Hodges ran 12 yards in the third quarter for a score and ran for the conversion and it was 15-8. He then carried 11 of 15 plays in a 76-yard drive and scored on a 4-yard run behind Jenkins, Conwell and Fletcher. Ironton had 370 total yards to 157 for Waverly.
Ironton then began to roll with a 35-0 win at Athens, 42-6 against Logan — the team that prevented them from making the playoffs the previous season — 41-15 at Wellston and 42-20 over Gallipolis.
Hodges ran for 161yards and also passed 63 yards to Jimmy Morris to lead the rout over Athens. Royal had 58 yards on 11 carries and Morris — filing in for the injured Lewis — had 50 yards on eight carries with a 20-yard TD run. Wilcoxon was 6-of-6 for 130 yards including a 24-yard TD strike to Williams.
This was a Hodges’ highlight reel with 14 carries for 148 yards and five touchdowns. Fletcher caught a 15-yard scoring pass from Wilcoxon for a 7-0 lead and then Hodges scored on runs of 2, 5, 2, 27 and 72 and it was 42-0 at the end of the third quarter.
Moritz, Ainsworth, Fletcher, Clay, Conwell, Willis, Thomas and Williams paved the way for 357 yards rushing in the win over Wellston. Hodges carried 34 times for 205 yards and four TDs. Lewis returned and had 62 yards on 13 tries.
Conwell got the scoring going with an interception of Wellston quarterback Jeff Montgomery — a future All-Star relief pitcher for the Kansas City Royals — and Ironton drove 85 yards in 11 plays with Wilcoxon keeping on an option for 21 yards and a score.
Lewis took to the spotlight against Gallipolis with 149 yards and Hodges added 94 yards and four scored.
Gallipolis took a 7-0 lead on a 45-yard run by Mark Sheets, but Ironton drove 71 yards to score on a 2-yard run by Hodges and Sutton’s 57-yard punt return for a score gave the Fighting Tigers the lead for good at 14-7.
Hodges 2-yard run and Wilcoxon’s 29-yard keeper put Ironton up 28-7 at the half and Lewis had a 57-yard scoring run to start the second half.
The regular season finale was at home with co-SEOAL leader Jackson. Both teams were 5-0 in the league and the winner not only got the championship but the Class AA playoff berth.
Rain began to fall early in the day and continued to fall throughout the game, thus slowing down Ironton’s decisive speed advantage.
“Jackson had a great team and it rained the whole game, but Tim Hodges made a long run for the only touchdown and we won 7-0. With that win, we made the playoffs and then got the exciting win over Hamilton Badin,” said Lutz.
Hodges burst through the Jackson defense and outran the secondary 79 yards for the game’s only score in the second quarter. Fletcher kicked the conversion. Hodges had 196 yards on 32 carries and the defense held Jackson to 33 yards and one first down in the second half.
Ironton had two other scoring chances. A first quarter drive stalled at the 23 and a fourth quarter march ended at the Jackson 1-yard line.
In the state semifinal game against Badin and coach Terry Malone, the Rams took a 6-0 lead just before halftime on a 5-yard run by Jeff Black with 29 seconds on the clock. Badin had dominated the first half with 95 yards rushing and 69 passing to Ironton’s 4 yards rushing and 18 passing.
But that all did an about face in the second half.
Ironton marched 58 yards in 10 plays to begin the third quarter with Lewis scoring a on a 4-yard run with 7:27 on the clock. Fletcher’s conversion kid put Ironton up 7-6.
Lewis recovered a fumble at the Rams’ 38 with 3:02 left in the third quarter and Willcoxon hit Lewis with an 18-yard scoring pass four plays later for a 14-6 lead after Fletcher’s kick.
Ironton drove into Badin territory and on a fourth-and-9, Wilcoxon hit Lewis for 20 yards to the 11-yard line. Wilcoxon ran for one-yard and then Hodges finished the drive with carries of 8 and 2 yards and it was 21-6 with 8:21 left.
Conwell had an interception with 6:31 to go and Ironton proceeded to run out the clock.
After beating Badin in the semifinals at Groveport High School, Ironton had to play St. Vincent-St. Mary’s in their own backyard at the Akron Rubber Bowl.
“The championship game was against Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary’s who was a big, strong team that ran power right at you. We were really outmanned up front, but our guys did what we asked and battled their tails off the whole game,” said Lutz.
The Irish were 11-0 and ranked second in the final Class AA poll while Ironton was 9-0-1.
St. Vincent-St. Mary’s drove 66 yards in 12 plays capped by Ron Ross’ 5-yard run with 6:48 left in the half. The conversion kick was good but an off-sides penalty was called on Ironton and coach John Cistone elected to go for the two-point conversion.
The Irish tried a pitchout to Edwin Wallace but Lewis and Conwell came up to make the stop.
Ironton couldn’t sustain a drive against the Irish defense and when the intercepted Wilcoxon with 4:35 to play, it appeared the Fighting Tigers’ fate had been sealed.
But Ironton hit running back Jerry Gaydash on a second-and-3 play causing him to fumble and Hacker pounded on the ball at the Ironton 27 with 3:32 left.
What followed was possibly the most dramatic drive in Ironton football lore.
Wilcoxon hit 12-of-14 passes for 82 yards for the game, but he was 6-of-6 for 64 yards in the winning drive, often having to scramble or improvise with dump off passes to Hodges.
A pass for 6 to Fletcher, a Lewis run for 2 yards and then a short 2-yard pass to Royal gave Ironton a first down.
Then on a bootleg pass, Wilcoxon hit Fletcher who made a leaping catch between two defenders for 32 yards to the Irish 30. Hodges and Lewis each caught passes for 7 yards and then Hodges another dump off pass for 9 yards to the 7-yard line. An off-sides penalty put the ball on the 4 and Lewis followed a block by Moritz on a quick pitch left to score the tying touchdown.
Fletcher kicked the extra point but a penalty for Ironton to move back 5 yards and force him to kick a second pressure-packed kick.
Thomas had the snap, Jeff Jackson the hold and Fletcher split the uprights.
The Irish had one more possession but Sutton’s interception sealed Ironton’s first state football championship.
“Hodges, Joe Fletcher and Brent Wilcoxon made some big plays in the final drive at the end of the game and Fletcher had to kick the extra point twice and made it both times. And Craig Thomas had to snap the ball twice under pressure and was perfect. He didn’t have a bad snap all year. It was a great win for our players.”
When questioned about Ironton not playing as tough a schedule as Akron, Lutz just shrugged it off.
“When you’re tough enough and good enough, it doesn’t matter, does it,” said Ironton’s legendary football coach.Now that is a Hollywood ending.

1979 Ironton Fighting Tigers
Class AA State Champions
Regular Season
Ashland, Ky. (A) 6 0
Portsmouth (H) 22 18
Wash. Court House (A) 13 13
Waverly (A) 22 8
Athens (A) 35 0
Logan (H) 42 6
Wellston (A) 41 15
Gallipolis (H) 42 20
Jackson (H) 7 0
State Semifinals
Hamilton Badin (N) 21 6
State Championship
At The Akron Rubber Bowl
Akron St. V-St. M 7 6
Record: 10-0-1
Head Coach: Bob Lutz
Assistant Coaches: Pat Sheridan, Mike Burcham, Paul Fugitt, Mark Lewis, Jeff Handley, Louis “Buck” Foglesong, Lynn Schrickel, Tom Ben, Jimmy Payne.

1979 Ironton Fighting Tigers
No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Gr.
5 Steve Sutton QB-S 5-09 155 Jr.
7 Tim Hodges FB-LB 6-02 190 Sr.
8 Jeff Underhill QB-DB 5-10 160 Sr.
9 Brent Wilcoxon QB-DE 6-01 180 Jr.
20 Jimmy Morris RB-DE 6-02 170 So.
22 Craig Thomas E-CB 5-10 155 Sr.
24 Gabriel Lewis RB-CB 5-10 170 Sr.
26 Terry Royal RB-S 5-08 155 Jr.
28 Bruce Taylor RB-S 5-60 125 So.
30 Sam Bacon FB-CB 5-06 135 So.
33 Dennis Bacon FB-DT 6-01 195 So.
37 Brian Carter FB-CB 5-10 185 Jr.
40 Gene Williams E-S 5-11 165 Sr.
45 Jeff Jackson RB-S 5-09 145 Jr.
46 Dick Carter RB-S 5-09 140 Jr.
50 Adam Ainsworth C-LB 6-01 175 Sr.
55 Brian Rodehaver C-NG 5-11 180 So.
57 Scott Willis G-LB 5-09 185 Jr.
60 Darwin Conwell G-CB 5-09 175 Jr.
62 Patton Riffe C-LB 5-10 165 Jr.
64 David Clay G-LB 5-09 165 Jr.
65 Mark Dickess G-LB 5-09 165 Jr.
67 John Lewis G-NG 5-09 160 Sr.
68 Eric Scior T-DT 5-09 175 So.
70 Rick Fritz T-DE 6-01 150 So.
71 Billy Allen T-NG 5-09 180 Jr.
72 John Moritz T-dT 6-03 190 Sr.
75 Joe Hacker T-DT 6-03 215 Sr.
76 David Kelly T-DT 6-03 220 sr.
77 Brian Jenkins T-DT 6-01 210 Sr.
78 Dale Spencer T-DT 5-10 165 So.
80 Jeff Crockrel E-DE 6-00 150 Sr.
81 Kent Koerper E-DE 6-00 150 Jr.
82 Lon Hilton E-DE 5-10 150 Jr.
83 Kraig Koerper E-DE 6-01 155 So.
89 Joe Fletcher E-DE 6-02 200 Sr.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Kantucky. I am sure you know so asking for confirmation, I have heard several times that game was originally supposed to be played on Friday night (which was clear and sunny all day) and clairsville got the Ohsaa to change the date to Saturday night because of the travel on a school night. And the weather moved in and it poured all day Saturday and thru the game. Their tailback was a kid named Tim Spencer (not the one at osu) who was great in that game by the way. And our kids looked like we had the wrong shoes on or something I can’t help but think we would have met cape in the shoe had we gotten good weather all thru the playoffs. But that’s Ohio football in November

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Ugh!!!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

As much as i see no point in these right now ,
Ironton football is very interesting

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I'm sorry, I don't remember.

One thing I do remember about the CAPE game though is wondering why Sheehan (think that was their coach's name?) went to the air late in the game. I do know that Snow was probably getting what was the very first real pounding of his career that night. The Tigers were hurling their body's into him like crazy. Someone even tore his shoe if you recall. Only thing I can thing of was Snow was about to drop.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 pm

I also graduated in 1982. I guess I have completely lost my memory, which doesn’t surprise me, but I remember being a FROSH, when we won the state in 1979.

That was a very cold game to be a part of!!!

Incredible though.

Definitely was the foundation for what started the feeling of getting hosed in state finals.

ASVSM scores first early & during PAT, we get flagged.
They go for two & we STUFFED THEM. It continues to be a defensive battle & we force a turnover late & we drive about 80 yards with about 2-minutes left to knot it up.
They flag us AGAIN after we kick the PAT for the lead and make us Rekick.
They back it up 5 yards & we still nail the PAT for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER the highly rated and favored ASVSM Fighting Irish.

This begins many more “odd” calls that affect other state championship outcomes, that are just to strange to be ALL correct.

When your eyes see it and your gut feels it. ITS USUALLY TRUE!

However, that’s the year that establishes Ironton as the Powerhouse of SOUTHEAST OHIO FOOTBALL & puts the area on the map.

The rest is history & we’re not doing too bad now!

Gotigersgo!

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Talking about the calls. It’s true there have been some doozys that have gone against ironton in the playoffs. While I am sure there are just as many that went their way as well I only remember the bad ones. Like the one or 2 in 88, the roughing the kicker in 93, the bad spot in 99, ironton has lost some heartbreakers in state championships
FYI lazer. My “ugh”in your burg history thread was in relation to another post about how burg is so great and nobody else is better etc. not necessarily your thread. I would be glad to talk Burg history too. I jus have been a burg fan for only about 12 years so I don’t know the history nearly as well as irontons. My fault I should have been more specific. I will take my return ugh with no grudge

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Flyers58 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm

The 78 team was probably the best ever to come out of Ironton and the strike in Logan that year (1978) cost the Tigers dearly as they could not play their game.........
I keep hearing this, but unless the points system has DRASTICALLY changed, I don't think it's true.

Logan was going to be a very bad football team in 1978. They were 0-1-1 in the only two games they played, and many Chieftain observers think it might have been Logan's only winless season ever if they had played all 10 games.

Even if Logan had snuck a win over Waverly, Jackson, or Gallia - that would have had no impact on the Tigers as they would have beaten both teams.

I don't think the Harbin points have changed THAT much over the years. My guess is lowering Ironton's divisor to 92 (from 100) got the Tigers MORE points than beating an (at best) 1-8-1 Logan team.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Does nobody remember the terrible call against ironton vs Bishop Hartley? We stopped them on 3rd and long in the regional finals to make it 4th and long deep in there territory and they called unsportsmanlike on ironton because they were excited for stopping them on 3rd and long

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

That was a bad one then Bishop Hartley goes on to dominate that’s one I remember from recent memory

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm Does nobody remember the terrible call against ironton vs Bishop Hartley? We stopped them on 3rd and long in the regional finals to make it 4th and long deep in there territory and they called unsportsmanlike on ironton because they were excited for stopping them on 3rd and long
Funny thing, I remember the same guy called for the unsportsmanlike foul in the Hartley game got called for the same thing in the later weeks of the regular season. Bad call? Or recurring bad sportsmanship?

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Could be sportsmanship I guess but didn’t look like he did anything that no one else on the field was doing

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Didn’t celebrate any harder than anyone else on the field that night was just excited to make a play

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:31 pm
Flyers58 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm

The 78 team was probably the best ever to come out of Ironton and the strike in Logan that year (1978) cost the Tigers dearly as they could not play their game.........
I keep hearing this, but unless the points system has DRASTICALLY changed, I don't think it's true.

Logan was going to be a very bad football team in 1978. They were 0-1-1 in the only two games they played, and many Chieftain observers think it might have been Logan's only winless season ever if they had played all 10 games.

Even if Logan had snuck a win over Waverly, Jackson, or Gallia - that would have had no impact on the Tigers as they would have beaten both teams.

I don't think the Harbin points have changed THAT much over the years. My guess is lowering Ironton's divisor to 92 (from 100) got the Tigers MORE points than beating an (at best) 1-8-1 Logan team.
I stand to be corrected but if I’m correct the difference is if you had an open week back then it wasn’t figured on games played. Your points were added up and divided by 10 no matter if you had an open week/weeks

Return to “Football”