The switch from ties to OT

BeatOfTheSEOhio
Waterboy

The switch from ties to OT

Post by BeatOfTheSEOhio »

Would anyone happen to remember when the OHSAA switched from ties to the overtime format? I reached out to the OHSAA and was told the rule wasn't implemented until 1972 to only decide postseason games, which was the same year the playoff format was introduced into Ohio HS football. The belief is the rule wasn't implemented for regular season games until the mid 1980s, but didn't give a specific year. Would anyone happen to know the exact year?

One interesting tidbit: The first Ohio HS playoff overtime game, according to the same email, wasn't until 1975.
Last edited by BeatOfTheSEOhio on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OSU22
Varsity

Re: The switch from ties to OT

Post by OSU22 »

1985. NY played Belpre that year and it was their first ever OT games. My father was a player during that time and I remember him telling me about how it was the first time OT was a thing.

BeatOfTheSEOhio
Waterboy

Post by BeatOfTheSEOhio »

OSU22 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm 1985. NY played Belpre that year and it was their first ever OT games. My father was a player during that time and I remember him telling me about how it was the first time OT was a thing.
Thank you!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NY had three 0-0 ties one year in the 1970s. Three ties out of ten games is enough to jump out at you, let alone all three ties ending in the same 0-0 final score!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I can confirm 1985.

Logan didn't play their first overtime game until '89 (against N-Y) - but I have an article saved about the change from the Logan Daily in '85.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I remember as a freshman we played Boyd County Kentucky at their house. I can’t remember the score but it was tied after regulation and because Kentucky had overtime they let us decide if we wanted to let the tie stand or play overtime.of course , we decided we wanted to play overtime and was fortunate enough to win the game .That would’ve been 1979

Return to “Football”