WK: 11 #6 Minford (7-3) @ #3 Wheelersburg (7-3)

fbnut
SEOP

Re: WK: 11 #6 Minford (7-3) @ #3 Wheelersburg (7-3)

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:25 pm And has Minford found a kicker that can make an XP yet? That could be huge in this one.
I’m guessing if they haven’t found a kicker by week 11 they don’t have one

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I believe that both teams are in very different places then they were in Week 6

Burg 35
Minford 14

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I don't understand all the " this team matches up against this team and not that team." So minford matches up well against burg but not oak hill? That's why oak hill upset them. I may be wrong but burg matched up well against oak hill at oak hill. Matched up so well it was 55 to 0. I'm confused.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
syyoung
Waterboy

Post by syyoung »

packers80, In all due respect, the very reason upsets happen is because of matchups. Otherwise a poor team, or a team with a poor record could never compete with a team with a good record. In NCAA football for example, the higher ranked teams would never lose to a lesser opponent, or get upset. Sometimes there are other factors that play into an upset as well, such as coaching, a team playing a stronger opponent the next week and looking ahead, failing to scout a team properly, etc. Minford and Wheelersburg are not the same teams, so yes Minford matches up very well against Wheelersburg, but not Oak Hill. In all fairness, Minford matched up very poorly against Oak Hill. My whole life of watching any sport, I've wondered how teams can face a common opponent, and team a destroys them, but team B plays them closely, or even loses, but when team a plays team b, team b wins by a blowout. There will always be other, smaller factors at play at all times, but the way two teams matchup against each other is going to carry as much of weight as anything. Surely other people can chip on on this conversation, and explain this much better than myself.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Burg.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:31 pm Minford has one of the best defenses I've seen this year. They are a very good tackling team. I can't see pirates scoring more than 21 in this game. If Minford can score 3 touchdowns in this game i think they can pull the upset. It's about matchups and Minford matches up very well with burg. Burg fans seem to be more focused on the ironton rematch than Minford and it could come back to bite them.
Really?? They averaged giving up right at 20 a game and that's because they shutout valley in week 10. 6 of their games they gave up 21 or more.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

syyoung wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:13 pm packers80, In all due respect, the very reason upsets happen is because of matchups. Otherwise a poor team, or a team with a poor record could never compete with a team with a good record. In NCAA football for example, the higher ranked teams would never lose to a lesser opponent, or get upset. Sometimes there are other factors that play into an upset as well, such as coaching, a team playing a stronger opponent the next week and looking ahead, failing to scout a team properly, etc. Minford and Wheelersburg are not the same teams, so yes Minford matches up very well against Wheelersburg, but not Oak Hill. In all fairness, Minford matched up very poorly against Oak Hill. My whole life of watching any sport, I've wondered how teams can face a common opponent, and team a destroys them, but team B plays them closely, or even loses, but when team a plays team b, team b wins by a blowout. There will always be other, smaller factors at play at all times, but the way two teams matchup against each other is going to carry as much of weight as anything. Surely other people can chip on on this conversation, and explain this much better than myself.
You're making my point for me.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

packers80 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm I don't understand all the " this team matches up against this team and not that team." So minford matches up well against burg but not oak hill? That's why oak hill upset them. I may be wrong but burg matched up well against oak hill at oak hill. Matched up so well it was 55 to 0. I'm confused.
Because all the hype you hear each year in weeks 1-5 doesn't match the performance in weeks 6-10. This year it'll be week 11. Fans are chest thumpers but it's the officials, matchups, coaches and everyone else's fault that causes the decline in league play. Reality is they play a soft schedule the first few weeks and get tested and tested hard in league play. They get exposed for the avg DV team they are. It is what it is. Go back the past few years and it is the same song and dance from the same posters.

syyoung
Waterboy

Post by syyoung »

FIDO wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm
packers80 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm I don't understand all the " this team matches up against this team and not that team." So minford matches up well against burg but not oak hill? That's why oak hill upset them. I may be wrong but burg matched up well against oak hill at oak hill. Matched up so well it was 55 to 0. I'm confused.
Because all the hype you hear each year in weeks 1-5 doesn't match the performance in weeks 6-10. This year it'll be week 11. Fans are chest thumpers but it's the officials, matchups, coaches and everyone else's fault that causes the decline in league play. Reality is they play a soft schedule the first few weeks and get tested and tested hard in league play. They get exposed for the avg DV team they are. It is what it is. Go back the past few years and it is the same song and dance from the same posters.

Nobody is here saying that Minford scheduled powerful opponents week 1-5 this year or any of the recent years. And as far as my posts, you can't go back and look at those because I've only posted few times ever on this site. I typically just sit back and read everything I see, and I have great respect for most of the people on here. Minford probably does schedule soft before league play, and some years it does show when they get to SOC play. It's probably been 2013 or sometime around there where they had a team like this last. This year, they are the real deal. They only lost by a point in overtime to Wheelersburg, and still played a competitive game with Waverly until around 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The only bad loss Minford had was that Oak Hill game, and they did not match up well. Oak Hill had a much stronger line on both sides of the ball and really controlled the trenches. I'm not saying Minford will win the state championship, but one step at a time. They certainly can win Saturday, and I really believe they will. Even on years when Minford is really sound, a lot of times they are not even in the same league to play close to Wheelersburg. It's a different story this year, and the two teams match up well. It will be a great game!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

syyoung wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Nobody is here saying that Minford scheduled powerful opponents week 1-5 this year or any of the recent years. And as far as my posts, you can't go back and look at those because I've only posted few times ever on this site. I typically just sit back and read everything I see, and I have great respect for most of the people on here. Minford probably does schedule soft before league play, and some years it does show when they get to SOC play. It's probably been 2013 or sometime around there where they had a team like this last. This year, they are the real deal. They only lost by a point in overtime to Wheelersburg, and still played a competitive game with Waverly until around 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The only bad loss Minford had was that Oak Hill game, and they did not match up well. Oak Hill had a much stronger line on both sides of the ball and really controlled the trenches. I'm not saying Minford will win the state championship, but one step at a time. They certainly can win Saturday, and I really believe they will. Even on years when Minford is really sound, a lot of times they are not even in the same league to play close to Wheelersburg. It's a different story this year, and the two teams match up well. It will be a great game!
I’m a burgfan that believes this could be a big test for pirates to win but the oak hill game shouldn’t of been a problem for minford. When burg played oak hill, they dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides. Minford May have laid an egg but in no way should that have been a matchup problem

Sportsfan32
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan32 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:18 pmBurg.
Great post!! Burg by 21

Whether Hell freezes over or pigs learn to fly, I'll be a Wheelersburg Pirate till the day I die
ohioriverfisher
Waterboy

Post by ohioriverfisher »

+1 for non rivalry game. If minford played oak hill week 6 going 5-0 into that game, would the outcome have been different?

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

ohioriverfisher wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 pm +1 for non rivalry game. If minford played oak hill week 6 going 5-0 into that game, would the outcome have been different?
Yes

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Calpreps: Burg 35 - 19 minford

Drew Pasteur: Burg by 16 (85%)

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
syyoung
Waterboy

Post by syyoung »

I just want to point out that Oak Hill battled with Waverly until late in that game also. Most people in this forum knows how good Waverly is. Just because Wheelersburg smashed Oak Hill doesn't necessarily mean everybody else will. And it certainly doesn't mean that Wheelersburg is better than everybody else. I didn't watch Wheelersburg play Oak Hill, but my guess would be Wheelersburg was able to get out on them early, force some turnovers, and get Oak Hill out of their comfort zone of power running which likely made things worse. That certainly wasn't the case against Minford nor against Waverly. Too much is assumed because Minford lost to Oak Hill. That game means little to nothing now, except hopefully the coaches know to prepare their team better for opponents not named Wheelersburg. I'm not going to argue anymore on opinion though, I just wanted to make one more point here. Once again, I'll state my final score prediction for Saturday night, and I'll enjoy reading the rest of the posts and predictions here until game time Saturday. Hope everybody here can make it out to the game Saturday! Minford 33 -28!

14U
S

Post by 14U »

syyoung wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Yes Minford poster said they played tough schedule back around week 6. I know schedules are made few years in advance. But Greenup since the 80’s is a point game, big school big points. Wilmington isn’t a name tough school. But yes you haven’t said but many of ur fans have. Just letting you know before people come back at you!

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Syyoung = Vladimir

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Amicis_Addict
Waterboy

Post by Amicis_Addict »

Just as an outsider looking in (and the fact if wood beats Portsmouth we get the winner of this game) I will put in my thoughts. Obviously haven’t seen either team play live but have seen some highlights from both teams. 21-20 OT win for Wheelersburg at Minford almost a month and a half ago. Burg seemed to have the stronger finish while
Minford kind of fell off. All signs seem to point to a burg route at home. I played in the 2010 Wood/Burg game and Wheelersburg always seems to have a true home field advantage in the playoffs. Great atmosphere. However it is very hard to beat a good team twice in one year, especially after the first game was so close and I’m sure emotional. I’m sure the falcons will have a great week of practice and will not forget what happened 6 weeks ago. Looking forward to the matchup with either team in week 12 if we make it! As for a prediction.....

Burg 31
Minford 27

Wood Grad ‘12
Keep the Wood Train a rollin’
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

syyoung wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 am I just want to point out that Oak Hill battled with Waverly until late in that game also. Most people in this forum knows how good Waverly is. Just because Wheelersburg smashed Oak Hill doesn't necessarily mean everybody else will. And it certainly doesn't mean that Wheelersburg is better than everybody else. I didn't watch Wheelersburg play Oak Hill, but my guess would be Wheelersburg was able to get out on them early, force some turnovers, and get Oak Hill out of their comfort zone of power running which likely made things worse. That certainly wasn't the case against Minford nor against Waverly. Too much is assumed because Minford lost to Oak Hill. That game means little to nothing now, except hopefully the coaches know to prepare their team better for opponents not named Wheelersburg. I'm not going to argue anymore on opinion though, I just wanted to make one more point here. Once again, I'll state my final score prediction for Saturday night, and I'll enjoy reading the rest of the posts and predictions here until game time Saturday. Hope everybody here can make it out to the game Saturday! Minford 33 -28!
No turnovers. No penalties. Just won convincingly.

I’m all for minford fans saying they are going to win but using the oak hill game was just a match up problem for minford is a bad weak argument. I’d rather say minford stunk it up and didn’t play well but if they did and still lost then burgfans can easily think they will win this game especially beating waverly and waverly beating minford.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am Syyoung = Vladimir
Sounds about right because there has not been very much from him lately!! If ur going with two names like many do, don’t start up now or have it off waterboy status. During it was Vladimir, bleeding red and BondRoadbandit. They have fallen off the charts since hearing about rematch of this game. Good call

Return to “Football”