Would Ironton be a better fit in the SOC?

14U
S

Re: Would Ironton be a better fit in the SOC?

Post by 14U »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 pm
14U wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:38 am Ironton would never get voted into the SOC for the same reason Portsmouth could never get in.
Portsmouth and Ironton will never get in because when SOC wanted them in when both were much bigger and wouldn’t help them play in the 60’s-2000 but now both schools would be in the middle of the pack in SOC in enrollment. Those years would be like this year Fighting Tiger team blowouts and wouldn’t be a game except burg. Also the old heads remembered when they didn’t want in then and still remembers that and votes them out. Now it makes since putting those two in for great games, more gate money with split the pot and concessions, close and cheap to travel, all school are same size in enrollment and have 3 divisions in league and have 3 or more playoff teams that would be tough playing competition each week. The league could be split into 2 SOC East and SOC West so many teams could play their rivals or pick up other games outside the SOC. You don’t want to have the powers in league playing northwest, oak hill only play top teams in league. Just a thought!
PS I heard Burg voted yes every year with other SOC II school it was the smaller school voted No, but wouldn’t play the bigger teams just didn’t want a team dropping into SOCI but it happen anyways with northwest and Oak Hill.
I've heard that tired old story too. I've never bought it at all. Why would the SOC want Portsmouth so bad that getting turned down by them would have hurt their feelings so bad that they would still be mad 50 years later. There were no Harbin Points so there was no benefit to beating a bigger school. They would have won basketball 95% of the time and probably baseball over 1/2 the time. I don't think you have to do a lot digging to figure out why rural folks in Appalachian Ohio were leery about being affiliated with the closest thing to an inner city school within 90 miles, especially in the 60's and 70's.
That’s what I’ve heard all my time of growing up around in southern Ohio. I do know when Portsmouth or Ironton played local teams in the tournament in football, basketball or baseball it was bad. That’s why they shouldn’t have been in the SOC or OVC but now it makes so much sense to be in one or the other. I did hear that the older people were young at the time and remembered both not wanting to have anything to do with either league and shouldn’t have. Now when Portsmouth and Ironton wanted to join the league and most SOC II voted yes but the SOC I No with them not wanting any school dropping like they already did. I have no idea the truth just talk on the streets or internet. I would have liked to see both schools join!! Wow, just think how tough it would be and how big the gates and money making. 3 regions in football just like the MAC conference up northwest. Those two schools would have made the SOC tougher and challenging.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I wouldn’t have a problem with Ironton in the SOC or Portsmouth being in but with what has been stated about how the league views both schools.

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
14U
S

Post by 14U »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 pm DVI starts at 157.

Ironton 160 + 19CB = 179

Portsmouth 161 + 6CB = 167
What’s CB? Losing my thinking 🤔 lol 😂

14U
S

Post by 14U »

MrFirstTake wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm Here ya go
Thanks first take. Boy they are close to D-VI

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I wouldn't want to jump from one 8 team conference to another in football. Unless we go to 12 teams per region, schedule is still important, we still have 9 and 10 won teams sitting home. Basketball is more forgiving as you have more games and every one makes the tournament. I would like to see some football only leagues formed. It would solve a lot of the issues we have with schools that either aren't competitive or don't have anyone their size nearby such as Logan, Athens, Warren, Jackson, etc. A two hour bus ride for football every other year is inconvenient, a 2 hour bus ride on a Tuesday for softball and then 2 hours the other way for baseball or track the next day is not sustainable.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I think when the voting for Portsmouth then Ironton if Portsmouth got in was Portsmouth and Ironton were on a run from hell and had great teams from 97-2007. Portsmouth had few years that they had a couple State teams that they got upset in during their runs as did Ironton and in my opinion that changed alot of the voters. Also both teams basketball teams had runs Portsmouth 2 times in state final four and Ironton too.If you would take Portsmouth or Ironton in for voting from 2010-2017 they get voted in SOC because both were just avg or below avg teams for around 10 years. Just my opinion

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

I have said for a long time that I would like to see Ironton in soc 2 not just for football but other sports also.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Why would ironton even consider getting out of the ovc. They can schedule 3 OOC games each year to challenge themselves And in football anyway they are going to be a favorite to win the league most years. Last year they didn’t win it. So obviously there is competition. You have to have a breather and play a weaker team a few times a year if your a div5 team cause you just don’t have enough depth most of the time to overcome injury’s. It’s not like they are dominant in all other sports cause their not. Plus you just went 9-1 this year and finished 1st in the region 3.65 points ahead of 2nd. They could have lost every OOC game. And their conference wins would have got them in the playoffs. Plus look at the travel or lack there of. All their games are close. No travel at all. Gallipolis is probably their farthest trip They would be nuts to get out of the ovc

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

14U wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:11 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 pm DVI starts at 157.

Ironton 160 + 19CB = 179

Portsmouth 161 + 6CB = 167
What’s CB? Losing my thinking 🤔 lol 😂
The competitive balance adjustment for transfer students.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:07 am With the new bypass Ironton can be in waverly in under 60 minutes, Minford and Valley can be reached in under 40 minutes. Almost all schools reached by all interstate.
It would give football 4 non conference games.

I believe it brings another good gate to all current SOC schools.

Thoughts? Would the SOC consider any expansion?
Could've ended this topic quickly. No way no how and a lot of that just isn't the fact that it's Ironton but the SOC is pretty closed knit group and they don't want a large conference.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I agree with the no way no how and I'll add no benefit to be gained for the SOC. Gates would only be marginally larger, if at all. I was a proponent of Ptown joining the league when the Seoal collapsed. There is nothing to be gained having Ironton in the league. Some of the Burg fans are obnoxious enough and I can't imagine reading the garbage coming from some of Ironton's fan should they join they league.

My question is why aren't those mighty muletown Falcons scheduling both Ptown and Ironton? They are one of the largest schools in the SOC. Man up!!

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Fairland boys basketball has only lost 1 game in the last 4 years, including last season in a very competitive OVC, while dominating the prior 3 years. No one has mentioned Fairland moving to another conference because of their basketball success (in a span of 4 years). Why is anyone thinking Ironton should jump to the SOC after one dominant season?

Let’s also think about other sports: Ironton isn’t dominating every other sport in the OVC.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I believe the SOC is already the first or second biggest conference in Southeast Ohio, the TVC has more football school but I would say Soc is as big or bigger if you add the non football members.

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

OVC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm Fairland boys basketball has only lost 1 game in the last 4 years, including last season in a very competitive OVC, while dominating the prior 3 years. No one has mentioned Fairland moving to another conference because of their basketball success (in a span of 4 years). Why is anyone thinking Ironton should jump to the SOC after one dominant season?

Let’s also think about other sports: Ironton isn’t dominating every other sport in the OVC.
Curious to see how Ironton will do next year when they lose their QB and a 1/3 of their defense that transferred in for their senior yr?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Blue/92 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 pm
OVC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm Fairland boys basketball has only lost 1 game in the last 4 years, including last season in a very competitive OVC, while dominating the prior 3 years. No one has mentioned Fairland moving to another conference because of their basketball success (in a span of 4 years). Why is anyone thinking Ironton should jump to the SOC after one dominant season?

Curious to see how Ironton will do next year when they lose their QB and a 1/3 of their defense that transferred in for their senior yr?
Which kids transfered in. ?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

They had four kids move in at the start of the year that played for another team the year before. They are good players too

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm They had four kids move in at the start of the year that played for another team the year before. They are good players too
Just curious which ones ? Watched the game
Tonight

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm They had four kids move in at the start of the year that played for another team the year before. They are good players too
Just curious which ones ? Watched the game
Tonight
Jones(dt) Howell(dB) book(k) brownstead backup lb

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Ironton could have easily been 9-1 last year they blew two 3 score leads in the second half and had to many turnovers against Ashland and they lost all of those games by a td or less. Only loss last year where they were just beat simply was against burg in my opinion. I watched them blow big second half leads to Portsmouth and gallia last year which would have made them 8-2. Seems like it’s a mental thing against Ashland I go all the way back to 2009 there has been about 4-5 games Ashland vs ironton where ironton has fumbled like 5 times against them.

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

There was 6 but 4 started

Return to “Football”