Too Much?

BigChuck
JV Team

Too Much?

Post by BigChuck »

Ironton St. Joe girls beat Grace Christian 84-6....
Is this a bit overboard?

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Too Much?

Post by VetteMan »

BigChuck wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm Ironton St. Joe girls beat Grace Christian 84-6....
Is this a bit overboard?
Agree, mayby after 1st half either go to a running clock like football, or shorten the time in the Qtr's. I see some of the other side also, you can't just tell the better team to stop playing. Doesn't do either team any good when it turns out like this though.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17 pm
BigChuck wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm Ironton St. Joe girls beat Grace Christian 84-6....
Is this a bit overboard?
Agree, mayby after 1st half either go to a running clock like football, or shorten the time in the Qtr's. I see some of the other side also, you can't just tell the better team to stop playing. Doesn't do either team any good when it turns out like this though.
I would think too much if starters were in the whole game. You have no shot clock so you could work on spreading the floor and take nothing but a layup or a foul shot. If the press or the half court trap was used the whole game then definitely too much. Just my opinion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As long as not pressing and bench is in....not much else to do.

Blowouts seeming more and more common. A lot of these kids at some schools have barely played and team needs them to fill out a roster. This is a day and age where we have boy golfers shooting a 90 and making all-league and shooting 96 and advancing to district play. Golfers shooting 140 and on girls side shooting 200!....we have bowlers practicing 90 min a day and rolling in the 80’s (and I don’t mean 30+ years ago)

It’s different now. It’s trickled to other sports. Several JV girls basketball games where they need a 10 min running clock for quarters because there is a foul, jump ball or turnover every few seconds. They don’t automatically know when the ball needs taken out of bounds.

You see this more in jr high but it’s typically the bottom 5 kids playing more than the starting 5.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Pretty sure I read somewhere that 2 of the SJ starters had around 30 and 20 respectively.....so yes I think this was too much. I know you have to let your starters play some, but no reason for people to rack up that many points when the other team is not even threatening to score.

Bug iis
Waterboy

Post by Bug iis »

I don't think you can say it was too much just because 2 starters scored 30 and 20. Maybe they didn't play a half. Sometimes players can score in bunches against inferior teams. If they did that in 8 or 10 minutes...I can see that. My question is was this a league game? If not, then why would you even schedule this game because NOBODY got anything out of this.

Guinness1759
Waterboy

Post by Guinness1759 »

Its Sad but St Joe plays them again at Grace Christian! Ouch!!

Bug iis
Waterboy

Post by Bug iis »

That is some unfortunate scheduling for everybody.

hereforthecomments
Riding the Bench

Post by hereforthecomments »

4thgoal wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 am Pretty sure I read somewhere that 2 of the SJ starters had around 30 and 20 respectively.....so yes I think this was too much. I know you have to let your starters play some, but no reason for people to rack up that many points when the other team is not even threatening to score.
You obviously haven’t seen the roster for SJ then, barely have enough girls for a team. Therefore it would be quite hard to sit your starters. You can’t just tell kids not to score, that’s awful for the other team. No team will feel good about the opposing team “going easy” on you, it makes them feel worse in fact.

BuckeyeSoldier
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeSoldier »

Ironton St. Joe girls beat Grace Christian 84-6....
Is this a bit overboard?

You may want to check your info. St Joe girls don’t play Grace Christian this year. Ohio Valley maybe???
Grace has a pretty good team this year, just winning a tournament at Tolsia High School with wins over Chapmanville and Lawrence Co (KY).

Return to “Girls Basketball”