Frank Solich

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Frank Solich

Post by formerfcfan »

There are three things at play to consider:

1) Frank Solich is a solid coach. He is a program builder, a good recruiter and he consistently puts out well-prepared teams.

2) The FBS/1-A has gradually become an ever-evolving arms race toward the top in the past 20 years, across the ‘high-major’ (e.g. BCS/Power 6 conferences) and high-tier ‘mid-major’ (e.g. non-automatic qualifier/Group of 6) schools alike. The high-major schools are largely big dogs that are a class or two away from serious consideration toward the college football playoff; the high-flying G6 schools (e.g. Central Florida, Boise State, Memphis, U of Cincy) are more engineered structurally (by means of heavier investment toward the financial health of the football program and its facilities, an emphasis toward consistently seeking out coaches that can recruit strong etc) toward this push to the national conversation. At current, none of the MAC schools are and frankly I don’t think any of them, including OU, ever will be. With the Ohio schools in particular, they’re fighting a decades-long recruiting battle they’ve constantly lost ground in against their better-funded, more successful FBS peers (the Power 5 schools, high-flyer mid-major programs). When was the last time any MAC school crested the ranks of being in the national spotlight in postseason play? Northern Illinois six years or so ago, when they lost to Florida State? Before then? Miami (OH) in 03, a directional Michigan school here or there? That right there, although truly to no fault of OU, works against the Bobcats in the grander scheme of the ever-challenging climb toward “exceeding expectations” (however measured.)

3) Read the second point again.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 pm
BobcatQB wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:20 pm Be careful what you wish for...ask Nebraska.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but where they truly cooked their butts for free was when they fired Bo Pelini.
And I'm not going to disagree with you either because he was definitely succesful (.710 winning %), slighly less than Solich (.753 winning %), at Nebraska. Pelini was let go because of his actions and things he said. I think it was a dumb move too but not my decision. Solich was let go because he wasn't Osborne. That was ridiculous. They were spoiled beyond belief with the success under Osborne and that will never happen again (.836 winning %).

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm Paladin was never really a coach and was just a average SEO player. Frank was an all time great at Nebraska and a great coach. He's a big reason Nebraska was a dynasty.
So you are saying every SEO player that received all league is a average player and the ones that do not make it suck. I never looked at it that way. Must be why big time coaches hardly come to look at SEO boys. I understand now.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm Frank is a class act and one heck of a coach...we're lucky to have him. I wish he was the coach when I played there. Paladin, you need help...seriously bro. You couldn't even play for Jasper Tech but want to run down a D-1 conference. I don't know when you played, but I wish I played against you b/c you'd still be blowing snot bubbles!
POST OF THE YEAR BROTHER.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 pm
countywide35 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:43 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm Frank is a class act and one heck of a coach...we're lucky to have him. I wish he was the coach when I played there. Paladin, you need help...seriously bro. You couldn't even play for Jasper Tech but want to run down a D-1 conference. I don't know when you played, but I wish I played against you b/c you'd still be blowing snot bubbles!

so you mean in bull in the ring Paladin be the first you call out???
I think Paladin would be the only one ANYBODY on the team would call out first. I don't always agree with much of the stuff said on here, but I respect peoples' opinions. He is a cloud of negativity that poisons this forum. The bad part is we can't unfollow him or deny him access. So, we're forced to read his drivel on a regular basis. In daily life, I try not to surround myself with that kind of personality.
ME EITHER FRIEND. THAT WOULD BE EXHAUSTING.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 pm There are three things at play to consider:

1) Frank Solich is a solid coach. He is a program builder, a good recruiter and he consistently puts out well-prepared teams.

2) The FBS/1-A has gradually become an ever-evolving arms race toward the top in the past 20 years, across the ‘high-major’ (e.g. BCS/Power 6 conferences) and high-tier ‘mid-major’ (e.g. non-automatic qualifier/Group of 6) schools alike. The high-major schools are largely big dogs that are a class or two away from serious consideration toward the college football playoff; the high-flying G6 schools (e.g. Central Florida, Boise State, Memphis, U of Cincy) are more engineered structurally (by means of heavier investment toward the financial health of the football program and its facilities, an emphasis toward consistently seeking out coaches that can recruit strong etc) toward this push to the national conversation. At current, none of the MAC schools are and frankly I don’t think any of them, including OU, ever will be. With the Ohio schools in particular, they’re fighting a decades-long recruiting battle they’ve constantly lost ground in against their better-funded, more successful FBS peers (the Power 5 schools, high-flyer mid-major programs). When was the last time any MAC school crested the ranks of being in the national spotlight in postseason play? Northern Illinois six years or so ago, when they lost to Florida State? Before then? Miami (OH) in 03, a directional Michigan school here or there? That right there, although truly to no fault of OU, works against the Bobcats in the grander scheme of the ever-challenging climb toward “exceeding expectations” (however measured.)

I adore this post. not everybody can be a huge enourmous university. but don't lose track of what college is. it's education first for young lives that will lead our country into the future. and the mac is consistently knocking off big boys early in the season expecting a week off with them. and it happens every year. these other conferences are getting stronger by the year. look at app state, ucf, cincy, Memphis, marshall, boise, Houston, and the like . there conferences are turning into much deeper more respectable programs. the problem is keeping coaches in them. as many use these conferences as building blocks and resume boosters to move up. and there is really no way around that happening. it's just the nature of the beast. so to people like frank solich I tip my hat to you sir. and it's an honor to see an integral, experienced coach on the bobcat sidelines that is influencing young men's lifes and molding them. he is a breath of fresh air from the lane kiffin's and bobby petrino's out there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

heck look at smu, and navy too. the list gets better every year. heck look at liberty as well.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and then you compare that to florida of all teams playing 2 fcs schools in one season. yet trying to get a legitimate high ranking because they are sec.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Solich is much better than the former OHIO coaches, but it seems his system has become obsolete. I personally think it’s time for a change.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Still waiting for Paladin to tell us all where he played his college ball at.......

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:26 am Still waiting for Paladin to tell us all where he played his college ball at.......
Well.....we're waiting (in my best Ted Knight voice)!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 pm There are three things at play to consider:

You are largely spot on, and though those MAC schools would like to be, if you look at the $$$ required one would realize that such rise to prominence is really not possible to build and maintain.

On another note, you omitted Western Michigan and "Row Your Boat".

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:54 am

I adore this post. not everybody can be a huge enourmous university. but don't lose track of what college is. it's education first for young lives that will lead our country into the future. and the mac is consistently knocking off big boys early in the season expecting a week off with them. and it happens every year. these other conferences are getting stronger by the year. look at app state, ucf, cincy, Memphis, marshall, boise, Houston, and the like . there conferences are turning into much deeper more respectable programs. the problem is keeping coaches in them. as many use these conferences as building blocks and resume boosters to move up. and there is really no way around that happening. it's just the nature of the beast. so to people like frank solich I tip my hat to you sir. and it's an honor to see an integral, experienced coach on the bobcat sidelines that is influencing young men's lifes and molding them. he is a breath of fresh air from the lane kiffin's and bobby petrino's out there.
+1

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

vladimir wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:33 am Solich is much better than the former OHIO coaches, but it seems his system has become obsolete. I personally think it’s time for a change.
Could you please explain to us what Coach Solich's system is and why said system is obsolete? I am curious.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:45 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:26 am Still waiting for Paladin to tell us all where he played his college ball at.......
Well.....we're waiting (in my best Ted Knight voice)!
I think we will be waiting a while as Paladin dreams up some story about his college career like he did for his coaching career.

He is truly a scum imposter.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Anyone (Paladin) who would be critical of Division 1 athletes in any way shows how crazy they are.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 pm
vladimir wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:33 am Solich is much better than the former OHIO coaches, but it seems his system has become obsolete. I personally think it’s time for a change.
Could you please explain to us what Coach Solich's system is and why said system is obsolete? I am curious.
Accepting mediocrity

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Ohio currently has the worst recruiting class in D1 at 131.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

OU just won their third straight bowl game, which was also their fifth straight postseason appearance. There are probably at least 70 FBS programs where that would be certainly welcomed and call for an extension (which Frank just got earlier this week.)

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Never look down on a FCS/Low Level FBS program.

- a lifelong Michigan fan

Return to “Football”