2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Raiderball »

Got my tickets for 12/29 WVU/OSU in Cleveland.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

What a dominant performance for the Buckeyes, as they destroyed #7 North Carolina in Chapel Hill, 74-49 on Wednesday. At the half, OSU led by just 2 points, but they poured it on in the second half, outscoring the Tar Heels by 23 in the second half. Leading the Buckeyes was Duane Washington Jr with 18 points. That was followed by 12 points from EJ Liddell. Cole Anthony was the only UNC player in double digits, as he tallied 15 points.

Next up, Ohio State is back at home, as they open conference play with an extremely tough opponent in Penn State on Saturday afternoon.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Playing a very solid Penn State (7-2) team on Saturday to open up their conference schedule, the Buckeyes (9-0) dismantled the Nittany Lions in Columbus by a final score of 106-74. OSU led by 11 points at the half, and then tore PSU apart in the second half. Leading the way for the Buckeyes was Kaleb Wesson with 28 points and 10 rebounds. Andre Wesson then tallied 15 points, while both Luther Muhammad and Duane Washington Jr tallied 14 points each.

Penn State was led by Izaiah Brockington with 19 points.

Next up, Ohio State has a week off before they travel to Minneapolis to play Minnesota next Sunday.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Raiderball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm Got my tickets for 12/29 WVU/OSU in Cleveland.
Nice!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Buckeyes are up to #3 in this week's AP poll!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Big 10 has some pretty tough teams this year, will not be easy to win on the road at some of these schools. Buckeyes are shooting the ball pretty well right now, and are playing good team defense.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Buckeyes suffered there first loss of the year today 84-71, to the Minnesota Gophers. No excuses, they just plainly got beat in every faze of the game today. Hopefully they will bounce back early this week, as they still have a very long season to go.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I never thought they were a top 5 team. I'd say somewhere between 12-15 by season end and a 3 seed.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Just flat out got beat last night. Buckeyes were without their leading scorer last night as well, Duane Washington Jr, but they were just outplayed. Their next game is tomorrow, and should be a confidence booster, as they host Southeast Missouri State

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

It won't go down as a quality win, but the Buckeyes did bounce back with a win after their first loss of the season. Tuesday night, OSU defeated Southeast Missouri State in Columbus, by a final score of 80-48. After only leading by 9 at the half, the Buckeyes pulled away in the second half for a 32 point victory. Leading the way was Kaleb Wesson with 18 points and 10 rebounds, while Andre Wesson tallied 14 points.

For the Redhawks, DQ Nicholas and Isaiah Gable each scored 10 points.

Next up, Ohio State has another top 10 matchup, as they travel to Las Vegas to play in the CBS Sports Classic against #6 Kentucky on Saturday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Big win today for the Buckeyers 71-65 over the Kentucky Wildcats.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The third top 10 victory this season for the Buckeyes.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Buckeyes are up to #2 in this week's rankings!

They have another top 25 matchup later this week.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Not sure of WVU's record, but this probably will not be an easy game. WVU normally always plays a tough pressing man to man defense all over the court. This matchup is usually a very intense physical ballgame. That's the way that Bob Huggins coaches, and his players usually reflect his demeanor on the court. Buckeye guards will have to handle the pressure and keep the turnovers to a minimum.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 pm Not sure of WVU's record, but this probably will not be an easy game. WVU normally always plays a tough pressing man to man defense all over the court. This matchup is usually a very intense physical ballgame. That's the way that Bob Huggins coaches, and his players usually reflect his demeanor on the court. Buckeye guards will have to handle the pressure and keep the turnovers to a minimum.
The last two years have not been the Press Virginia teams we were use to seeing although they do still press at times. WVU will play an aggressive half court man to man defense. It will be a physical game as you said. This years WVU team is typical Bob Huggins team. Emphasis on defense and rebounding. Derek Culver 6'10 250 and Oscar Tshiebwe (sp) 6'9 260 form a pretty darn good front court for the Mountaineers.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Thanks for keeping this updated

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Raiderball wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:24 am
VetteMan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 pm Not sure of WVU's record, but this probably will not be an easy game. WVU normally always plays a tough pressing man to man defense all over the court. This matchup is usually a very intense physical ballgame. That's the way that Bob Huggins coaches, and his players usually reflect his demeanor on the court. Buckeye guards will have to handle the pressure and keep the turnovers to a minimum.
The last two years have not been the Press Virginia teams we were use to seeing although they do still press at times. WVU will play an aggressive half court man to man defense. It will be a physical game as you said. This years WVU team is typical Bob Huggins team. Emphasis on defense and rebounding. Derek Culver 6'10 250 and Oscar Tshiebwe (sp) 6'9 260 form a pretty darn good front court for the Mountaineers.
[/qu

I hope that I'm wrong but at times this year the Buckeyes get a little careless with the ball at times, and then have a lot of unforced turnovers. I'm sure that you are right about how much they press and all, as I haven't seen WVU play this year. The Buckeyes are getting a lot better guard play this year than they did for the past couple years. Not only size wise in the front court, but defensively overall, I think it could be mayby the best defense that the Buckeyes will have faced so far this year. Also Huggins would probably rather beat the Buckeyes than any other team on his schedule.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

In a physical game for both sides, played at a neutral site, this game had a tournament atmosphere. Ultimately, #22 West Virginia (11-1), came from behind to defeat the Buckeyes (11-2) by a final score of 67-59. A long stretch of ice cold shooting in the second half doomed the Buckeyes, as the Mountaineers used their swarming defense to also get their offense going.

Leading the way for West Virginia was Miles McBride (a freshman from Cincinnati) with 21 points. Leading the way for OSU was Kaleb Wesson with 17 points.

Next up, Ohio State will get into conference play for the rest of the season, as they host Wisconsin on Friday night.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

This outcome does not surprise me at all. You also can not have 22-24 turnovers, and a large amount of them be unforced turnovers. Wesson may be 6'10", but in no way shape or form is he a physical player at all. I know that Huggins and WVU like to play physical, and there front court are big enough to do that. Things are only going to start to get tougher from here on out, playing on the road in the Big 10 is never a cakewalk. I also think that this game means more to WVU than it does to the Buckeyes. For quite a few years the Buckeyes and WVU would not play each other, especially in basketball. There was bad blood between the two schools for quite a few years over the "Damon Flint" recruiting situation. Even though we play them in football and basketball now, I still think there is no love lost between the 2 schools.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:45 pm This outcome does not surprise me at all. You also can not have 22-24 turnovers, and a large amount of them be unforced turnovers. Wesson may be 6'10", but in no way shape or form is he a physical player at all. I know that Huggins and WVU like to play physical, and there front court are big enough to do that. Things are only going to start to get tougher from here on out, playing on the road in the Big 10 is never a cakewalk. I also think that this game means more to WVU than it does to the Buckeyes. For quite a few years the Buckeyes and WVU would not play each other, especially in basketball. There was bad blood between the two schools for quite a few years over the "Damon Flint" recruiting situation. Even though we play them in football and basketball now, I still think there is no love lost between the 2 schools.
I was completely wrong in the above post that I posted earlier. I had Huggins on my mind, and instead of saying when he was the head coach at Cincinnati, ( Not WVU ) is when the "Damon Flint" incident occurred. For quite a few years I think that there were hard feelings between OSU and Cincinnati, not WVU.

Return to “College Sports”