Vinton county lady Vikings 19-20

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Vinton county lady Vikings 19-20

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Marauders19 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:38 pm The lady Vikings are a system team Coach Bentley Has had a lot of success off of his system of the 3 point shooting and when they are on they can beat anyone in the district as of late they are struggling from the outside and Nelsonville took advantage of it. If I was coaching this team I would go more inside with his big people and quit bombing so many threes But his stubbornness to change his system will never allow him to do that. We all know his ego is way too big for that I hope they keep bombing on Thursday give us a great opportunity ...
Lady Vikings were struggling from 3 tonight. Still led 49-7 at the half against meigs. It’s a good thing the threes weren’t falling!
So regarding an earlier post I quoted that referenced Meigs as a team that will compete, is Meigs that good, or is VC just that dominate over good teams?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:25 pm To be up that number at half the 2nd half sounds respectable
Yes, class move, Bentley did all he could from keeping this from being that bad. Hats off to him.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I cant believe how many people don't want a team from SE Ohio to be any good. I root for all teams from SE Ohio boys or girls to make a deep run in the state tournament. Why is it so hard for some folks to be proud for our kids from the area?

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Marauders19 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:05 pm I was there tonight he actually was pretty generous to us tonight they never pressured us after 1 quarter they have a talented team..
Yea, I think the coach learned a huge lesson on humility from the Newark coach. Good for him for being willing to make a change. I think it will go a long way as far as people respecting him. Not sure if he cares, but I think it will make a difference.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:46 am I cant believe how many people don't want a team from SE Ohio to be any good. I root for all teams from SE Ohio boys or girls to make a deep run in the state tournament. Why is it so hard for some folks to be proud for our kids from the area?
Dude, who are you referring to? I think you have some issues with paranoia cause I'm not seeing it. :shock:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:25 pm To be up that number at half the 2nd half sounds respectable
Yes, class move, Bentley did all he could from keeping this from being that bad. Hats off to him.
Just for the record, the score was 75-15 after a minute and change into the 4th. Bentley subbed 5 and meigs outscored VC 17-2 to finish the game. If coach Bentley was as mean as a lot of people on preps thinks he is, this could’ve been 100-20. Rod isn’t trying to run up scores. He’s trying to get his team ready for a tournament run. Just like every other dominant teams coach has done, regardless of the sport.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dundas wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 pm
Just for the record, the score was 75-15 after a minute and change into the 4th. Bentley subbed 5 and meigs outscored VC 17-2 to finish the game. If coach Bentley was as mean as a lot of people on preps thinks he is, this could’ve been 100-20. Rod isn’t trying to run up scores. He’s trying to get his team ready for a tournament run. Just like every other dominant teams coach has done, regardless of the sport.
So VC starting 5 (and subs, say 6 and 7 girl) beat Meigs 75-15 in 25 min and VC next 5 (some combination of players 6-12) were out scored 17-2 in 7 min? Must be a gigantic drop off after the starters.

I’m not against the guy as I don’t know him from the man on the moon, but it was 75-15 in the 4th quarter...I should hope the starters were pulled, especially being that huge of a gap of talent. On the Meigs end I sure hope their bottom players got 5+ minutes.

At some point the girls that fill out the practice floor need to get some minutes and always in those huge blowouts.

The talent levels in girls basketball is ridiculous and has been for a while. Those games are tough on both teams and coaches, but 75-15 should be easy 100% of the time

chiefs76
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefs76 »

It’s always tough when you have a good team with high expectations that the community has for both boys and girls at Vinton County. The newspaper said the lady Vikings was on a 30 game tvc win streak and to me that’s pretty impressive in league play. It just seems to me that vinton gets criticized for not playing tough enough schedule now playing to tough of schedule running up the score being stubborn not changing his style it’s always something. I watched him here at Logan with a couple groups of youth teams and all they did was work and develop. That older group with Melissa copper daughter Went to the districts couple times . People are bitter towards him here at Logan Because he moved his family to vinton. My advice to him keep doing his thing and keep coaching and Bentley will continue to do his thing and we all agree he is not lacking confidence... I’m hoping to see myria Davis to get healthy and hope her and all of our lady chiefs scattered all over south East Ohio nothing but sucess...

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

I will say this in addition-no one will outwork Coach Bentley and no one cares more for his players, from his starting five to the end of the bench, than him. VC is lucky to have him and Coach Combs. Both have worked hard and built quality programs from the bottom up. I hope that they are here for many years to come. Both of these programs were down when they arrived. Their hard work made them what they are today.

Their teams have also excelled academically as well and their kids have become very successful citizens. And that is the mark that matters most.

thebarlowbandit
All State

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I was referencing, Coach Bentley showed a lot of class. Not sure why you feel the need to justify a positive comment.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 pm

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I was referencing, Coach Bentley showed a lot of class. Not sure why you feel the need to justify a positive comment.
I was more or less just adding on to your comment. Didn’t mean to offend you.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Coach Bentley got what he deserved tonight. No reason for a coach to ever insight the opposing student section before the game. Guess what, 32 minutes of non stop ff student section. And 32 minutes of physical, fundamental and pressure play from the lady cadets. Good win for the d4 team vs a d2. Next time coach, just try and not say anything. But we all know that'll never happen. Also thanks to vc fans for flipping off our students and making threatening statements as they left. Classy as always. At least you got to see what a real coached team looks like

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Coaches daughter should transfer Coach doesn’t play her correctly she is to strong to big to come out of paint..she is a great player that doesn’t get the ball in right place due to her dad dumb offense...

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

This team is full of talent and have been the past two seasons. they have not made it out of the district in either of those two seasons when in the games they lost they were the better team. they played a good Washington courthouse team both years and last season they were IMO head and shoulders better but could not seal the deal.While two years ago Courthouse was just a good as the vikings but I still thought the vikes were better. I will keep my opinion on coach Bentley to my self but I do not think they play a style of basketball that can win them games deep in a tournament run. sure they can win majority of their games based on just being more talented basketball players, but when they play a team who is well coached and has some girls that can play they will lose. Still a lot of time left in the season to become better and improve even more. They have the team to make a run in the tournament and I hope they figure out their problems and make a good run. Best of luck to the lady vikes.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

REDS FAN--Did you play girls basketball at VC???

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just my thoughts on this at this point of the season. I have not seen Vinton County play this year, did see them a couple times last year. They had talent last year, and from reading about them this year, they no doubt have plenty of talent this year as well. Everyone is pretty much past the halfway point of the season, and in a very short amount of time tournament time will be upon us. My main concern right now would be that if my team is as good as I think they are, and with the Div-2 tournament just down the road, why have 3 of my defeats been against a Div-4 team and 2 Div-3 teams ? Not trying to demean Vinton County at all, but I do know that the farther you are able to advance in the tournament, 95% of the time that it is only going to get tougher. I will say that in a few of the past years, that especially in SEO, that overall a lot of your Div-3 teams were overall better than most of your Div-2 teams, not every year but quite often. Good luck to the Lady Vikings, hope you go a long way in the Div-2 tournament.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

Marauders19 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 pm Coaches daughter should transfer Coach doesn’t play her correctly she is to strong to big to come out of paint..she is a great player that doesn’t get the ball in right place due to her dad dumb offense...
If true, it wouldn't be the first of daddy coaches who wanted their kid to be the star, shoot the 3's, and get the press. It's hindered many of otherwise good coaches over the years. Just my 2 bits.

chiefs76
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefs76 »

Quit it... Daddy girl or not come watch her play she can play every spot on the floor and is one of the best shooters in the area. It’s always tough being a coaches kid and especially playing at Vinton County where it seems like they are the targets in southeast Ohio. I like watching vinton county because of there style of run and gun where everyone shoots and everyone plays hard. I’m going to be there tonight excited to watch a good game. I’m personally excited to see the Ousley girl 5 foot and plays with relentless energy. We beat Alex Monday at Logan but I can see where they are a good team and being league rivals should be a fun atmosphere!!

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

GO VC

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 pm REDS FAN--Did you play girls basketball at VC???
no I did not

Return to “Girls Basketball”