Portsmouth Coach Eugene Collins Set to Make History

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Portsmouth Coach Eugene Collins Set to Make History

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth Trojan coach Eugene Collins is on the verge of becoming the 2nd winningest coach in the history of Portsmouth HS boys basketball. His current record is 168-87, which is tied with Richard "Red" Hopkins, who compiled a 168-58 record from 1926-1936. Collins is currently in his 11th year at PHS. He has an impressive resume which includes 2 Final 4's (2011, 2012), a regional final appearance in 2015, 2 SEOAL titles (2012, 2014), and an OVC title in 2015. He has been the SEOAL Coach of the Year, the OVC Coach of the Year, and the D3 State Coach of the Year in 2012. He is the only SE district coach to have advanced to the regional final 3 times this past decade. He is also the last SE district coach to have won a game in the Final 4 (2012 D3 semifinal 74-66 vs. Ottawa-Glandorf)

Coach Collins is one of 4 Trojan coaches to take Portsmouth to the state tournament more than once. The 3 previous coaches were Red Hopkins in 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1934, Richard "Dick" Hopkins in 1978, 1980, and Joe Suboticki in 1988, 1990.

The winningest basketball coach in Portsmouth history is George Heller, who went 224-137 from 1952-1968. Heller's record is even more impressive when you consider that the Trojans during that time were in the Greater Ohio League, which produced 7 Big School state titles (including the Trojans in 1961) during his tenure. Heller played on the 1939 Trojan team that went to the state tournament under coach Paul Jenkins.

Coach Collins is truly appreciated for what he has done for Portsmouth basketball. Not only does he have a sterling resume, but he has raised more than $100,000 to take the Trojans to Florida 4 times. Just this past summer, he organized a 56 team shootout at Portsmouth HS. He has also held youth basketball clinics, and is actively involved in the middle school program. His 11 year tenure is the 2nd longest in PHS history. During basketball season, he puts in almost 80 hours a week getting the team ready to play. He has had 4 players score 1,000 points, and Matthew Fraulini will soon be the 5th. He coached Kyre Allison to a D1 scholarship at Marshall.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth Coach Eugene Collins Set to Make History

Post by Seopnation »

Congrats to Coach

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats to Coach Eugene Collins.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congrats coach Collins

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I sit behind opposing teams when they come to Jackson...Coach Collins is one of my favorites to watch do his thing. He’s an excellent coach and I bet it goes beyond the court.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Congrats 👏

Irish
Freshman Team

Post by Irish »

Congrats Coach Collins!!!

Towpath1
Waterboy

Post by Towpath1 »

Congrats coach Collins

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Yeah he's a good dude. Talked to him at the Beast and tried to get him to bet me the Peebles v Trimble game. Told me I was crazy and to get out of here

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach Collins IS one of the best in Southern/SouthEast Ohio hoops ... congratulations to Coach Collins when this happens - well done Coach - pfloyd

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles had home and away series with them about 2011-2016. He is a great coach,leader and life teacher.

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

Congrats to Coach Collins...........

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

really respect the job that Coach Collins has done at PHS. He’s a great guy! He’s done this in an era where Portsmouth has gone through very tough social and economic times.
Well done Coach

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Coach Collins is a special one and a great fit for Portsmouth. Congratulations and looking forward to many more wins for him and the Trojans.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Appreciate the positive feedback about Coach Collins. Like so many coaches, what he does behind the scenes and away from the basketball court is much more impactful to the kids than the game coaching.

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

Congratulations Coach Collins!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm I sit behind opposing teams when they come to Jackson...Coach Collins is one of my favorites to watch do his thing. He’s an excellent coach and I bet it goes beyond the court.
It absolutely go beyond the court the things this man does for these kids is more then you could imagine he cares a lot for them , he played for the Trojans and understand the tradition and wants very much to uphold that tradition and has done a great job even with some not great teams which shows the man can coach , it's easy to win with loaded teams Even I could do that but to continue to win with less talent is a statement of great coaching

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Last night's 72-61 win over Coal Grove has now officially put Coach Collins into 2nd place by himself. Congratulations to Eugene on this great accomplishment. He is now 169-87.

On a side note, Matthew Fraulini scored 23 points and is inching closer to the 1,000 point mark (19 points short unofficially). Matthew would be the 5th 1,000 point scorer during Eugene's tenure.

As biggdowgg said, Eugene played for PHS, so he's knows the expectations of being the head coach of the Trojans......and he embraces that. He always talks of getting the Trojans back to Columbus.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Great work throughout the years Coach Collins! Portsmouth Trojans are very lucky to have a man of your character and experience. Hope you stay for many years to come.
I’d also like to recognize former assistant coaches Jim Arnzen and Greg Smith. Both were major assets to Coach Collins for several years.

Tater
Waterboy

Post by Tater »

What a blessing it is for Portsmouth to have Coach Collins the school the community and especially the kids are Very lucky to have him! ..

Can't name one coach in the southeast district or in Ohio for that fact that does and cares more for their kids and program I don't live in Ohio anymore but still hear all about Trojan basketball and what Coach Collins has done with that program after another coach took the job only to add to his retirement and drove that program in the ground until he was ask to resign what a shame that program took that kind of hit with it's history and traditional, the people of Portsmouth should really appreciate what Geno has done, congratulations Coach Collins you deserve and definitely earned it!

Keep doing things the right way!

Return to “Boys Basketball”