Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 1/18

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 1/18

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Good contest for the Burg, maybe the cheerblock will be done protesting by then and can get a hype crowd.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 1/18

Post by bbjunky81 »

Should be a good, close game. I've seen both and I think this game could go either way.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

What is the cheer block protesting?

I've always thought burg had the best cheer block around even when they go to the combo they are the best, I was at the Ironton game at the Burg and noticed they sit through the entire JV game but got pretty rowdy during varsity

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am What is the cheer block protesting?

I've always thought burg had the best cheer block around even when they go to the combo they are the best, I was at the Ironton game at the Burg and noticed they sit through the entire JV game but got pretty rowdy during varsity
Yes, the cheer block is always loud, but students are protesting recent decisions made about what they can and cannot do. Last night, only about 5-10 people sat in cheer block and they didn't stand once.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 am

Yes, the cheer block is always loud, but students are protesting recent decisions made about what they can and cannot do. Last night, only about 5-10 people sat in cheer block and they didn't stand once.

Wow 10 people is crazy.

Let them be kids

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 am

Wow 10 people is crazy.

Let them be kids
The decisions about what the cheer block can and cannot do was altered mainly after the incident during the Ironton game lol

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am

Wow 10 people is crazy.

Let them be kids
The decisions about what the cheer block can and cannot do was altered mainly after the incident during the Ironton game lol
What was the incident during the Ironton game?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 am
PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am

Wow 10 people is crazy.

Let them be kids
What was the incident during the Ironton game?
When the Ironton player was pushed into the cheer block, and students pushed him back onto the court while yelling at him. I thought it was just by instinct to push him off of themselves, however some didn't think so. Many responded to the incident by flashing their state championship football rings and chanting "where's your ring at?"

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I quit going to the Burg games mostly because of the way the kids were acting. Yes kids should be kids, but they should act like they have some adult behaver, in which many are. They are not cute except to other students, and that sets a poor example.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As far as the game, I saw Wheelersburg play Ironton, and there's no question that the Pirates have a huge advantage in size, but the Trojans are quicker. If Portsmouth can defend the paint, hang on the boards, and create turnovers, they can win. PHS has to keep the Burg from getting second chance points. Putbacks by the Pirates will make it difficult for the Trojans to come away with a win.

The series stands at 23-19 in favor of Portsmouth, but Wheelersburg has won the last 2. The Trojans lead the tournament series 5-4, with the Pirates winning the last contest 45-42 when Dylan Miller hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer in the 2013 sectional at Jackson HS. PHS is one of the very few schools that lead Wheelersburg in the overall series.

The first 3 games that Portsmouth and Wheelersburg met in the tournament all went into overtime. In 1978, Portsmouth won 54-52 at Valley HS after the Burg had won 54-52 the last game of the regular season at Portsmouth. The Trojans would go on to win the Class AA state title. In 1983, in the Class AA district championship, the Trojans prevailed again 66-59 in OT, and in 1984 the Pirates got their first tournament win over PHS with a 73-66 district championship win at the Convo. The Burg's Todd Staker and Craig Brown were on fire from the perimeter. That Pirate team advanced all the way to the Class AA state championship game, losing to Akron St.Vincent St.Mary 77-71 and Coach Joe Suboticki. Suboticki 4 years later would become the head coach of Portsmouth, and win a state title with the Trojans in his first year. That 1984 Burg team was coached by Portsmouth graduate and standout basketball player Mike Lovenguth. Lovenguth would also lead the Pirates to the 1989 state tournament.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

who flashes football bling at a basketball game?
Hope portsmouth brings all of their rings to this game

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm who flashes football bling at a basketball game?
I think it was just letting ironton know that Burg gets the job done in at least one sport

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm who flashes football bling at a basketball game?
I think it was just letting ironton know that Burg gets the job done in at least one sport
Ironton never won a state title in anything?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm
I think they have the same amount of football titles. It’s not like they never won.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:09 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm

I think they have the same amount of football titles. It’s not like they never won.
It’s about relevancy. Their dads were in high school when both won it, that’s ancient in their eyes. Burg won their state game. It’s an easy and effective chant.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burg by 12, petty or not

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

callie15 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:28 am I quit going to the Burg games mostly because of the way the kids were acting. Yes kids should be kids, but they should act like they have some adult behaver, in which many are. They are not cute except to other students, and that sets a poor example.
So you quit going to any ballgames anywhere right? Because every school does the same

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

You know what is kind of funny, and not only on this thread about the matchup between the Burg and the Trojans, but if you go over to the Girls thread about Vinton County- Fort Frye game that was just recently played, there seems to be just about as much talk about the "cheer block" or the student sections as there is about the game itself. The student sections tend to be a very important part of the game I guess to a lot of the schools as well to a large amount of the fans. I see the kids and see how some of them dress and hear them at some schools a lot more than others. I think that 95% of the time that most of the kids just want to be with the other kids, and very seldom are there any problems. I pretty sure that I have never decided to go or not go to a game because of the student section.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Just because everyone does it ,doesn't make it smart or right.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Let them dress up and do the chants. Do people really get offended or are they just salty?? We did this stuff when I was in high school! There's a lot worse things those kids could be out doing... Let them have some fun!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”