Officiating in the Area

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Officiating in the Area

Post by Raider6309 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am If I became a Zebra I’d have to retire from SEOPS and I dont know if it’s worth it 😂
We could do a Wheelersburg game. That might be worth it :lol:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:48 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am If I became a Zebra I’d have to retire from SEOPS and I dont know if it’s worth it 😂
Why would you have to retire? There are at least 3 or 4 on here.
Yeah but ain’t none of em THE Swanker Pine.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am And yes, anyone that wants 2 man crews has never done a game with 3 and then tried to go back to 3.

Night and day.
Bingo. See every play better with three. That means you are less likely to guess. So that means less whistles, or whistle On plays that need whistles.
And remember, NO ONE, has ever reffed a perfect game. We are all human

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am And yes, anyone that wants 2 man crews has never done a game with 3 and then tried to go back to 3.

Night and day.
Bingo. See every play better with three. That means you are less likely to guess. So that means less whistles, or whistle On plays that need whistles.
Some of these 3 man crews need 4

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I've watched a lot of basketball this year from biddy to HS and I think the officiating has been very good.

The biggest thing I've noticed is how consistent the officials have been this year. Some crews let them play more than others, but they have been consistent in their calls throughout the game.

IMO, the coaches have also seemed not as loud and vocal this year while talking to the officials.

Overall, I think the officials do a great job

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:58 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Night and day.
Some of these 3 man crews need 4
😂

I’ll say this, and y’all can disagree if you want, officiating has changed just like the game of basketball has changed. The NBA, AAU and the all mighty dollar has changed basketball. Officials, independent contractors I might add, have a lot on their plates. Not only dealing with what’s between the lines, but what’s outside the lines as well.
There aren’t enough coaches on the mold of Norm Persin, steve Jenkins, Tom Barrick jim Osborne, the Merit brothers, I could go one. Discipline and respect needs a wake up call.
98% of officials I see, doo a great job, and do it for the love of the game.
JMO

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

I have enjoyed officiating over the past couple of years. I
Have been fortunate thus far to have avoided many of the
horror stories many officials have avoided (aside from adult Rex league ball, and I will NEVER do that again).

I feel a major reason for the low numbers of officials is the
Time constraints. Level 2 officials (JV and below) need to be onsite at least 45 minutes before the game starts. With most JV starting at 6 and Jr. High starting at 5:30, it can be tough getting off work to make the games. Some employers, like my current one, do not allow early departures, thus I have to turn down many games.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Kurgan74 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm I have enjoyed officiating over the past couple of years. I
horror stories many officials have avoided (aside from adult Rex league ball, and I will NEVER do that again).

Time constraints. Level 2 officials (JV and below) need to be onsite at least 45 minutes before the game starts. With most JV starting at 6 and Jr. High starting at 5:30, it can be tough getting off work to make the games. Some employers, like my current one, do not allow early departures, thus I have to turn down many games.
Good point

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 pm
Kurgan74 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm I have enjoyed officiating over the past couple of years. I

Good point
Agreed. I would think that 10 minutes (dressed and ready) would suffice for lower level games, especially if there is a shortage. That’s too bad to hear that some officials have to give up games for that reason

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am I do it because I love the game and I love the bond that we share as officials.

But the way people act is driving people away in droves. People are always going to disagree with calls. It happens. But buying a $5 ticket to a game should not be a permit to berate the officials.

I have 9 games this week. There are literally no officials out there. I had a game to fill three weeks ago. I contacted over 60 people and all of them were booked.

If people started having a little more class in the stands, I believe there would be more officials to go around.
I agree with what you are saying but, the officials need to have a little more class as well. I watched it last night, the officials were so worried about talking smack to the crowd that the game was completely out of control. If you ignore something then that problem will usually disappear. And today’s refs continue to add fuel to the fire by arguing back. If someone is heckling you that bad you need to remove them from the game immediately and that sends a message to everyone else.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!

Return to “Boys Basketball”