Super sectional rules and procedures.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Super sectional rules and procedures.

Post by Orange and Brown »

https://ohsaa.org/SEDAB/News-from-the-S ... uidelines

2020 Super Sectional Guidelines

The Southeast District Athletic Board (SEDAB) is implementing a new super sectional format for the 2020 boys and girls basketball tournaments. The information listed below is for the purpose of communicating how this format will be handled operationally. The Board has made every effort to anticipate questions and believes this document will provide answers. We do understand that other questions and issues may arise. There will be a process to answer those as well.

Seeding. On-line seeding will continue as in the past. The exception is that coaches will seed ALL teams in the division instead of a geographically aligned sectional site. [Example: 31 teams in D3 girls. Coaches seed 1 through 31.] A seeding document will be sent out to all schools from the board/manager and also from Baumspage. Guidelines are largely the same including the changes made last year and current. These include: 1. A coach cannot vote for his/her own team; 2. A team’s highest and lowest vote will NOT count; 3. A coach who does not vote/seed will be penalized by losing their second highest vote (the top vote is discarded as mentioned).
District winners/Regional qualifiers. Following the seeding, after results are tabulated, the Board will reach out to the number 1 seed via cell phone. The coach will then SELECT whether the number 1 seed’s bracket will be labeled 1 or 2. Example: Two winners, boys D3. #1 seed’s bracket is the upper bracket. The #1 seeded team’s coach will decide if that bracket is labeled Athens 1 or Athens 2.
Brackets. As for the past 15+ years the board will use NCAA-paired brackets that are pre-determined. Teams will be placed on the bracket as determined by their voted seed number. Example: Girls D3, 31 teams. #1 is a first round bye. #2 plays #31, #3 plays #30, etc. The blank brackets with paired seeds will be distributed prior to the seeding.

Site assignments. Following the seeding process and placement of teams on the brackets, as per their voted seed, the Board will then assign the games to one of the two sectional sites indicated on the tournament set up. In situations in which one team in a match up is closer to one site while the other team is closer to the other site, the higher seeded team will be given priority. The Board reserves the right to adjust games.

Game times. Game times will be listed on the blank bracket. Once the pairing is determined (by seed), the Board may adjust times at a site to best accommodate travel, fans, etc.

Frequently Asked Questions. There will be a spot on the SEDAB’s website that lists answers to FAQ’s.
Current Questions. Should you have an initial question direct it to Board member Mark LaFon. 740-550-8014 or mark.lafon@tigertown.com

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Re: Super sectional rules and procedures.

Post by justpassinthru »

Can someone explain why the SEODAB still uses the NCAA pre-determined bracket. What is the concern about letting coaches decide where on the bracket they want to go. It would take more time for them to eat lunch then go thru that additional process and it would take the politics that go on out of the equation.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

justpassinthru wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:42 pm Can someone explain why the SEODAB still uses the NCAA pre-determined bracket. What is the concern about letting coaches decide where on the bracket they want to go. It would take more time for them to eat lunch then go thru that additional process and it would take the politics that go on out of the equation.
A step in the right direction though. With so many teams it will be difficult to work together with other teams to face the teams you want...might be able to avoid a team with some help.

Better than it was IMO

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think the predetermined bracket works well with the super sectional.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm I think the predetermined bracket works well with the super sectional.
Other super sectionals around the state dont use it and it seems to work real well. Hard for the good ole boys to give up the power groups and gathering votes to help each other out.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

I’m so glad Logan goes central.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

justpassinthru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:12 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm I think the predetermined bracket works well with the super sectional.
Other super sectionals around the state dont use it and it seems to work real well. Hard for the good ole boys to give up the power groups and gathering votes to help each other out.
That made absolutely zero sense. What power groups are there when there is a super sectional? And it’s amazing that the NCAA has been doing it wrong for so long. Hopefully next year they will allow the schools to pick their spot.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 pm
That made absolutely zero sense. What power groups are there when there is a super sectional? And it’s amazing that the NCAA has been doing it wrong for so long. Hopefully next year they will allow the schools to pick their spot.
I’ll try to clear it up. I also hope they can pick their bracket. The power groups were certain coaches who would lobby starting in December with other friendly or other league coaches to vote for certain teams. They tried to make sure they took care of each other and place teams the way they want it. If you think it doesn’t happen then you were never in the room when the vote happened or been approached as some of us were. That’s how the good ole boys worked.

Mark 5
Waterboy

Post by Mark 5 »

I don't see the Super Sectional working in the Southeast with only 2 tournament sites. It just too spread out. A team may have to travel close to 2 hours to play a first round sectional game. That being said, let the teams pick where to go on the bracket like the rest of the state.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Mark 5 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am I don't see the Super Sectional working in the Southeast with only 2 tournament sites. It just too spread out. A team may have to travel close to 2 hours to play a first round sectional game. That being said, let the teams pick where to go on the bracket like the rest of the state.
It would work great if teams got to pick where they wanted to go and top seed hosted. I’m glad we do that in the central!

What’s the reason for the southeast to do it the way they do?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Mark 5 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am I don't see the Super Sectional working in the Southeast with only 2 tournament sites. It just too spread out. A team may have to travel close to 2 hours to play a first round sectional game. That being said, let the teams pick where to go on the bracket like the rest of the state.
Agree, Our team is 15 minutes from one site and hour or more from another. 1st two rounds should take travel into account.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

justpassinthru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 pm

I’ll try to clear it up. I also hope they can pick their bracket. The power groups were certain coaches who would lobby starting in December with other friendly or other league coaches to vote for certain teams. They tried to make sure they took care of each other and place teams the way they want it. If you think it doesn’t happen then you were never in the room when the vote happened or been approached as some of us were. That’s how the good ole boys worked.
When you are seeding 30 teams such as in DIII, there are no “Power Schools”, no dominating conference affiliation, and too many variables to try and figure. Not to mention that one thing not go your way you may be smack-dab facing the team you did not want to. They are throwing out the top and the bottom score, as well as you cannot vote for yourself.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:20 am
justpassinthru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 pm

When you are seeding 30 teams such as in DIII, there are no “Power Schools”, no dominating conference affiliation, and too many variables to try and figure. Not to mention that one thing not go your way you may be smack-dab facing the team you did not want to. They are throwing out the top and the bottom score, as well as you cannot vote for yourself.
Agree. Way too many possibilities and coaches involved

Return to “Girls Basketball”