1/24 Alexander (11-3) at Athens (10-4) Backyard Brawl

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 1/24 Alexander (11-3) at Athens (10-4) Backyard Brawl

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:42 pm The Eastern Brown game means everything since it was a game between two teams fighting for a similar top seed in DIII.

It's no different than when Athens lost to Logan Elm Burrow's junior year early in the season, which dropped them into a situation where they had to play Warren in Logan. That ONE game was EVRYTHING that year. Same exact situation as Alex/EB

The Athens loss to ASVSM that year had ZERO ramifications on seeding. Jackson's loss to Chillicothe won't have much of an impact. Our D2 teams that lost to Logan last year did not have much impact. If Trimble losses to Alexander in a few weeks, it won't have much impact either.
We disagree. I’ll stop and let the game be discussed.

Good luck to both teams. Hope your game gets the top notch officiating ours had.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tuesday's game still remains a quality win for Jackson though, IMO.

I just think it carries less weight when the smaller division team losses. I'm sure it will matter some to Alexander, just brining their overall record down hurts a little. BUT ,,, the win will mean more to Jackson then the loss to Alexander.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:42 pm The Eastern Brown game means everything since it was a game between two teams fighting for a similar top seed in DIII.

It's no different than when Athens lost to Logan Elm Burrow's junior year early in the season, which dropped them into a situation where they had to play Warren in Logan. That ONE game was EVRYTHING that year. Same exact situation as Alex/EB

The Athens loss to ASVSM that year had ZERO ramifications on seeding. Jackson's loss to Chillicothe won't have much of an impact. Our D2 teams that lost to Logan last year did not have much impact. If Trimble losses to Alexander in a few weeks, it won't have much impact either.
If Trimble wins it will impact both teams in my opinion

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just one game so maybe it not typical but Alexander only had a couple good ball handlers. One or two didn’t seem to want the ball on offense though the one was a good set shooter. Pressure forced a lot of bad passes. We do move well on defense so that gave us a good advantage. I’ve not watch Athens since the summer....you guys pressure hard on defense? I couldn’t get a grasp of what Alexander wanted on offense. D’augustino did a perimeter move for a silky smooth 17 footer....looked unguardable but only think it happened twice. We made it tough to get it to Terry.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Bad games happen all the time. I'm scratching my head at Athens losing to Marietta. Warren just hammered the Tigers a few weeks ago.

In terms of resumes, Alexander's is rock solid already.

11-3 with wins over Eastern Brown, Ironton, Adena, D2 Athens, which is 10-4 and D2 VC, which is 10-4. Not sure what Western Pike has, but Alex beat them too. Only losses to D1 Chillicothe, D2 Jackson & D2 Wavery (without Terry).

Still have Athens, VC, Trimble and Warren to add to resume.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

10 teams on Alexander's schedule are in Pfloyds top 24.
12 of their 22 games, more than half, are vs Floyd's top 24. How many other teams can say that?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm 10 teams on Alexander's schedule are in Pfloyds top 24.
12 of their 22 games, more than half, are vs Floyd's top 24. How many other teams can say that?
I’m sure they’ll take pfloyds ranking into consideration

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm Bad games happen all the time. I'm scratching my head at Athens losing to Marietta. Warren just hammered the Tigers a few weeks ago.

In terms of resumes, Alexander's is rock solid already.

11-3 with wins over Eastern Brown, Ironton, Adena, D2 Athens, which is 10-4 and D2 VC, which is 10-4. Not sure what Western Pike has, but Alex beat them too. Only losses to D1 Chillicothe, D2 Jackson & D2 Wavery (without Terry).

Still have Athens, VC, Trimble and Warren to add to resume.
Agree, 93.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm 10 teams on Alexander's schedule are in Pfloyds top 24.
Maybe. Lol

But those teams are in his 24 because they are pretty good with good records - and that WILL be taken into consideration.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:12 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 pm
Maybe. Lol

But those teams are in his 24 because they are pretty good with good records - and that WILL be taken into consideration.
I get what you’re saying but losses are hurt your seeings regardless of who you lose to.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You obviously dont know much about seeding and how coaches vote. They are all pretty smart guys. They are not going to penalize a team for playing up. If you walk into the D3 room at (19-3) with only losses to Chillicothe, Jackson & Wavery - you're gonna be considered a heavyweight & vying for a top seed.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm You obviously dont know much about seeding and how coaches vote. They are all pretty smart guys. They are not going to penalize a team for playing up. If you walk into the D3 room at (19-3) with only losses to Chillicothe, Jackson & Wavery - you're gonna be considered a heavyweight & vying for a top seed.
You are correct I’m still learning a lot and maybe you can teach me. If a team schedules 10 non league games and schedules them all up and goes 2-8 against those teams would that affect their seeding?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Going to be hard for those in Burg to think they aren’t above Alex...hell they beat Jackson. Eastern Brown 1 loss, ZT 2, Fairland 1

Right now Alexander is 5 seed at best

As far as this game goes I still think Athens gets the dub

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

And if Eastern Brown says "we deserve to be higher than you."

I'd say, "didnt we beat you soundly on a neutral court?"

Lol

Strength of schedule does mean something. Just ask Ohio State. They were (13-0) and weren't even the top seed. ;)

Ed Ott
Varsity

Re: 1/24 Alexander (11-2) at Athens (10-3) Backyard Brawl

Post by Ed Ott »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:45 am Alexander by 7

Sorry bulldog fans, maybe my gut will change as game gets closer
Gut changed alot. Athens by 10, 63-53

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

#1 factor in seeding is wins and losses, that's a simple fact. Some coaches will dive into opponents more than others, some give more weight to what division teams are than others, but I think that stuff only comes into play when teams records are really close. I mean its hard to compare quality of opponents sometimes when a coach hasn't seen many of the teams play. How many teams in Jackson's conference have seen the MVL teams play and vice versa?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Treyman3 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm #1 factor in seeding is wins and losses, that's a simple fact. Some coaches will dive into opponents more than others, some give more weight to what division teams are than others, but I think that stuff only comes into play when teams records are really close. I mean its hard to compare quality of opponents sometimes when a coach hasn't seen many of the teams play. How many teams in Jackson's conference have seen the MVL teams play and vice versa?
And THAT’S why you pay attention to the pfloyd rankings ! he HAS seen them , he DOES compare teams based on how they compare vs each other NO MATTER the division AND based on strength of schedule- just saying ... 😆

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Treyman3 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm #1 factor in seeding is wins and losses, that's a simple fact. Some coaches will dive into opponents more than others, some give more weight to what division teams are than others, but I think that stuff only comes into play when teams records are really close. I mean its hard to compare quality of opponents sometimes when a coach hasn't seen many of the teams play. How many teams in Jackson's conference have seen the MVL teams play and vice versa?
... I’ve had the pleasure of being in a few of the meeting by the committee of one ... the back and forth is endless! 3-4 to 4 hour meeting every single Sunday! ... it “ ain’t “ just about the record ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 pm
... I’ve had the pleasure of being in a few of the meeting by the committee of one ... the back and forth is endless! 3-4 to 4 hour meeting every single Sunday! ... it “ ain’t “ just about the record ...
You giving your Jackson/Alex rundown

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm
And THAT’S why you pay attention to the pfloyd rankings ! he HAS seen them , he DOES compare teams based on how they compare vs each other NO MATTER the division AND based on strength of schedule- just saying ... 😆
I do not believe you've made it to Northern Perry county. But yes, you've seen a lot more of the teams in the SE than any other coach, which is why seedings usually stick closer to record than anything else.

Return to “Boys Basketball”