D3 2019-20 Basketball (Updated 2/16)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: D3 2019-20 Basketball (Updated 1/18)

Post by danicalifornia »

I think Fairland is the #1 seed. Ready and CHCA are really good opponents out of the area.

After that, somewhat of a crapshoot.

Alexander has the statement win over Eastern Brown for EB’s only loss. No “bad” losses or losses within D3, but has the most losses of the 2-7 grouping

Wheelersburg has beaten Jackson and Oak Hill, but losses to Waverly and Ironton

Oak Hill’s only loss vs Wheelersburg, no great wins though.

Zane Trace has split with Unioto and lost to Chillicothe, will also likely lose to #3 Gahanna on Tuesday. No losses within D3 or vs unranked teams.

Eastern Brown slaughtered Chesapeake, but was disposed of easily by Alexander.

Chesapeake seems to be likely for the 7 seed, IMO, but North Adams could boost them after getting beaten soundly by the Panthers

I’d go

1. Fairland
2. Zane Trace
3. Wheelersburg
4. Oak Hill
5. Alexander
6. Eastern Brown
7. Chesapeake
8. Adena
9. Ironton
10. Minford
11. North Adams

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:24 pm I think Fairland is the #1 seed. Ready and CHCA are really good opponents out of the area.

Alexander has the statement win over Eastern Brown for EB’s only loss. No “bad” losses or losses within D3, but has the most losses of the 2-7 grouping

Zane Trace has split with Unioto and lost to Chillicothe, will also likely lose to #3 Gahanna on Tuesday. No losses within D3 or vs unranked teams.

Chesapeake seems to be likely for the 7 seed, IMO, but North Adams could boost them after getting beaten soundly by the Panthers

I’d go

1. Fairland
2. Zane Trace
3. Wheelersburg
4. Oak Hill
5. Alexander
6. Eastern Brown
7. Chesapeake
8. Adena
9. Ironton
10. Minford
11. North Adams
Can’t see Eastern Brown with one loss at 6

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:05 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:24 pm I think Fairland is the #1 seed. Ready and CHCA are really good opponents out of the area.

I’d go

1. Fairland
2. Zane Trace
3. Wheelersburg
4. Oak Hill
5. Alexander
6. Eastern Brown
7. Chesapeake
8. Adena
9. Ironton
10. Minford
11. North Adams
Yeah, that’s where I was stuck, especially since they’ve been killing teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:05 pm

I’d go

1. Fairland
2. Zane Trace
3. Wheelersburg
4. Oak Hill
5. Alexander
6. Eastern Brown
7. Chesapeake
8. Adena
9. Ironton
10. Minford
11. North Adams
Yeah, that’s where I was stuck, especially since they’ve been killing teams.
I would guess right now they’d be voted a 3 or 4 seed by the other D3 coaches

toldeoman77
Waterboy

Post by toldeoman77 »

I would not say oak hill has no good wins. They traveled to waverly and beat them by 17, and they got Minford twice. we will see how good they are when they get burg for the second time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

toldeoman77 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 am I would not say oak hill has no good wins. They traveled to waverly and beat them by 17, and they got Minford twice. we will see how good they are when they get burg for the second time.
At Waverly by 17 is a very good win. Minford is a pretty good win.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree that Fairland right now should be #1, with a close nod over Zane Trace. I think after that it will be closely contested for seeds #3 on down.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

While putting together the mock seeding brackets, some of the Competitive Balance #'s caught my eye. Div-IV has the 3 largest CB #'s (South Gallia 43; New Boston 36; Clay 33) in the SE District. The largest in D-II is Fairfield Union at 28. D-III is Coal Grove at 19.

FYI - Competitive Balance applies to players on last year's roster that resided outside of the School District boundaries. (+1 if attended continuously since 7th grade otherwise +5 for each)

Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I just wish the Trojans could play in the tournament like they did last night at Fairland. Could be a headache for anyone if that be the case.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Alexander has lost 2 of their last 3 games - @ Jackson, @ Athens ... not sure I would put a lot on the EB loss on a neutral court vs Alexander in the Beasts of the Southeast ... I get it that EB lost to Alexander - I was there ... not sure how much "scouting" was done by EB, maybe the scouting was being done AT the game itself ... as EB packed it in the paint to STOP Terry the 6-10 big for Alex - packing it inside to stop Alex actually played into Alex's hand by opening up what Alex is really all about - perimeter scoring with Kearns/D'Augustino/Easley/Markins ... Alex made 8/9 three's in the first half ... if you HAD scouting info on Alex you would know that the offense does't go through 6-10 ... EB is too good of a defensive team to have allowed that kind of scoring from the perimeter ... adjustments WERE made at the half as Alex ONLY got off 3 triples making 1 for 3 in the 2nd half ... but the damage was done ... I take Eastern Brown over Alexander even with the loss to the Spartans ...

Norman Knight
Riding the Bench

Post by Norman Knight »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:11 pm Alexander has lost 2 of their last 3 games - @ Jackson, @ Athens ... not sure I would put a lot on the EB loss on a neutral court vs Alexander in the Beasts of the Southeast ... I get it that EB lost to Alexander - I was there ... not sure how much "scouting" was done by EB, maybe the scouting was being done AT the game itself ... as EB packed it in the paint to STOP Terry the 6-10 big for Alex - packing it inside to stop Alex actually played into Alex's hand by opening up what Alex is really all about - perimeter scoring with Kearns/D'Augustino/Easley/Markins ... Alex made 8/9 three's in the first half ... if you HAD scouting info on Alex you would know that the offense does't go through 6-10 ... EB is too good of a defensive team to have allowed that kind of scoring from the perimeter ... adjustments WERE made at the half as Alex ONLY got off 3 triples making 1 for 3 in the 2nd half ... but the damage was done ... I take Eastern Brown over Alexander even with the loss to the Spartans ...
pfloyd...I heard through the grapevine (reliability is always questionable lol) that EB had scouted Alexander at the Ironton Classic which was when Terry got hurt early in the game. My guess would be that they didn't get to see how he factored in the offense. Just my guess. EB dug themselves a big hole and got down by as many as 20 in the first half, if I remember correctly, and then had to play catch-up in the 2nd half, including fouling and sending Alexander to the FT line a lot. I'm pretty sure EB won the 2nd half though and like you said, adjustments were made, especially with the three pointers. It would be interesting to see a rematch of the two teams.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

North Adams Cam'ron Young just returned from injury last night. Led team in scoring and at 6'3" strong defender. He led NA in scoring last night and is a press breaker / lo g range bomber,who sees floor well. He didn't play vs Chesapeake.
Jan.31 North Adams vs Eastern Brown ,the rematch happens. I will hold my thoughts on them after that game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:19 pm North Adams Cam'ron Young just returned from injury last night. Led team in scoring and at 6'3" strong defender. He led NA in scoring last night and is a press breaker / lo g range bomber,who sees floor well. He didn't play vs Chesapeake.
Jan.31 North Adams vs Eastern Brown ,the rematch happens. I will hold my thoughts on them after that game.
Young wasn't in the lineup for the Beasts of the Southeast for sure ... he's been out ALL season to this point Hoopie74 ?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:19 pm North Adams Cam'ron Young just returned from injury last night. Led team in scoring and at 6'3" strong defender. He led NA in scoring last night and is a press breaker / lo g range bomber,who sees floor well. He didn't play vs Chesapeake.
Hoping that Young can breakdown the D, penetrate and get my man Mr. McCormick involved MORE in the offense ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Norman Knight wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:19 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:11 pm Alexander has lost 2 of their last 3 games - @ Jackson, @ Athens ... not sure I would put a lot on the EB loss on a neutral court vs Alexander in the Beasts of the Southeast ... I get it that EB lost to Alexander - I was there ... not sure how much "scouting" was done by EB, maybe the scouting was being done AT the game itself ... as EB packed it in the paint to STOP Terry the 6-10 big for Alex - packing it inside to stop Alex actually played into Alex's hand by opening up what Alex is really all about - perimeter scoring with Kearns/D'Augustino/Easley/Markins ... Alex made 8/9 three's in the first half ... if you HAD scouting info on Alex you would know that the offense does't go through 6-10 ... EB is too good of a defensive team to have allowed that kind of scoring from the perimeter ... adjustments WERE made at the half as Alex ONLY got off 3 triples making 1 for 3 in the 2nd half ... but the damage was done ... I take Eastern Brown over Alexander even with the loss to the Spartans ...
pfloyd...I heard through the grapevine (reliability is always questionable lol) that EB had scouted Alexander at the Ironton Classic which was when Terry got hurt early in the game. My guess would be that they didn't get to see how he factored in the offense. Just my guess. EB dug themselves a big hole and got down by as many as 20 in the first half, if I remember correctly, and then had to play catch-up in the 2nd half, including fouling and sending Alexander to the FT line a lot. I'm pretty sure EB won the 2nd half though and like you said, adjustments were made, especially with the three pointers. It would be interesting to see a rematch of the two teams.
Thanks Norman Knight on that input ... I just KNOW how good Coach Beucler is in getting his teams ready defensively ... I can't believe the open looks on the perimeter Alex was getting in that game - at least the 1st half anyway ... with Alexander losing their PG JK Kearns last night to injury (even if it is for a short amount of time - which I HOPE IS the case) the offense MAY start going more to Terry in the paint out of necessity ...losing one of the main perimeter scorers in Kearns ... don't get me wrong Alex is STILL a very good TEAM - when Kearns went down last night - the offense actually opened up to include ALL 5 players on the court ... we'll see !

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:56 pm
Young wasn't in the lineup for the Beasts of the Southeast for sure ... he's been out ALL season to this point Hoopie74 ?
I think Cam'ron got hurt in the Ripley game first part of the month. Cam'ron is the one that opens up things for McCormick. Outside shooter who can go to the rack.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:50 pm
I think Cam'ron got hurt in the Ripley game first part of the month. Cam'ron is the one that opens up things for McCormick. Outside shooter who can go to the rack.
Excellent !!! I had North Adams at or near the top of my rankings in the Pre-Season based on what they had returning AND seeing them play at the Lynchburg Clay Shootout over the summer ... I hope this adds not one but 2 benefits to the NA offense - with Young back doing damage on the perimeter which opens the paint up for Austin Mc down low - my man A McCormick works too darn hard in the paint to be ignored as NOT a weapon on the blocks ... I'll be watching the Highland Co. Press for game rundowns to see how things are going for NA ... thanks Hoopie74 !

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:57 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Excellent !!! I had North Adams at or near the top of my rankings in the Pre-Season based on what they had returning AND seeing them play at the Lynchburg Clay Shootout over the summer ... I hope this adds not one but 2 benefits to the NA offense - with Young back doing damage on the perimeter which opens the paint up for Austin Mc down low - my man A McCormick works too darn hard in the paint to be ignored as NOT a weapon on the blocks ... I'll be watching the Highland Co. Press for game rundowns to see how things are going for NA ... thanks Hoopie74 !
He in my opinion gives them more teeth. Especially when he's hitting the outside shots. Opens everything in my opinion.You will remember him. Really helps their ball control as well.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm I agree that Fairland right now should be #1, with a close nod over Zane Trace. I think after that it will be closely contested for seeds #3 on down.
Zane Trace returned everyone back from last years D2 district championship team. They are just now getting healthy. I wouldn’t want to play against them in the tournament. Have fun with that.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Spartan12 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 pm
trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm I agree that Fairland right now should be #1, with a close nod over Zane Trace. I think after that it will be closely contested for seeds #3 on down.
Zane Trace returned everyone back from last years D2 district championship team. They are just now getting healthy. I wouldn’t want to play against them in the tournament. Have fun with that.
Yeah but also if not for a horrid charge call late a bad Hillsboro team would’ve beat them in the sectionals

Return to “Boys Basketball”