SEOPS H

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly Thurs 2/13

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

laser breath wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am
burgfella69 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am
buddy

I ain’t your buddy, pal
I ain’t your buddy, PAL? You’re some sort of special.
https://youtu.be/tRfKdNxIOcQ

Ask your parents permission before viewing

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
toast
All State

Post by toast »

That was the most fans I've seen at a regular season home game at Waverly in a long time. What a great atmosphere. And to think this was a Thursday game that was not on the schedule...... Impressive turnout.

Never like coming up short but it really was a dandy game. Close throughout and as others have said, fitting to go into OT. This should help both teams going forward and preparing for the tourney.

Everyone pitching in to raise money for the Smith family was so nice.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 pm

I ain’t your buddy, pal

Those Canadians and their flappy heads

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

I ain’t your buddy, pal

You contradict yourself. You should have said, I ain’t your buddy, douche bag.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

laser breath wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Don’t come to the dance tonight, I’m taking I92 since you can’t behave

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:00 pm
laser breath wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Don’t come to the dance tonight, I’m taking I92 since you can’t behave
lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 am This was a fun game to watch, I'm glad I made the trek to Waverly. I tried my best to keep some pfloyd style napkin notes so I'll do my best to record them here.

First and foremost I can circle back to one moment where this game was decided --- and that's the 3rd quarter. Wheelersburg only had 20 points at the half as Waverly was playing pretty solid man-to-man defense. As soon as the 3rd quarter began Waverly switched to a 2-3 zone, initially starting as a 1-1-3..... Wheelersburg torched it. Wheelersburg kept getting open 3 after open 3 and if that wasn't there they attacked the rim without much contest. The strange part is Waverly stayed in the zone for the entire quarter. Waverly gave up 22 points in the 3rd quarter running their zone --- they only gave up 20 in the entire first half.

Waverly switched back to man to man for the 4th and held Wheelersburg to only 8 points that quarter... So in 3 quarters of man to man they gave up 28 points.. In one quarter of zone they gave up ----- 22 points :shock:

As for the officiating, I really hated to see some of the comments before the game because I feel like that's added pressure for referees to perform. I know yabbadabba doesn't think Schwartzel gives Burg a fair shake but it was evident last night that he does. There was only one call all game I thought he got wrong and that was at the end of the 3rd he gave possession to Waverly instead of Burg... WITH THAT SAID - I was up in the bleachers and the play was directly infront of him. I could say it looked clearly off of Waverly from where I was sitting, but he had the angle and was much closer. He also made a huge call FOR Burg in the 4th when Robertson hit a 3 pointer but directly before the play he whistled an away from the ball foul on Burg. Points were waved off since it was after the whistle (only by a second). Waverly then missed the next shot and Wheelersburg went down to score. Doesn't mean he made it "for Burg," he made the call he seen. It just ended up wiping 3 points off the board. I thought he called a very fair game.

All in all, it was a well officiated game. I thought Mr. Merb missed a couple calls that benefited Wheelersburg, but I do not in any way shape or form think it impacted the game whatsoever. The 3rd referee I do not know his name but he did fine as well. No made, missed call, or 50/50 judgement call changed the outcome of this game.

End of the day, Burg was the better team last night. When they needed to make plays, they made them. Their offense was more structured and seemed to have a game plan that they executed more precisely than Waverly did. They defended Waverly very well and minus forcing some bad passes that resulted in turnovers they played a very, very solid game. I would even go as far as to say the better TEAM won last night. Waverly has the best player, Burg has the best TEAM and definitely seemed the most prepared last night.

Great game by both teams and good luck to both as they head into the tournament. Both will be very, very tough outs.

Where in my post did I say it was Schwartzel??? I never mentioned a name.

I wasn’t there but when I tuned in the 4th qtr Waverly had 4 team fouls. With a minute left in OT Waverly had 4 team fouls. I’ll leave that at that because I’m guessing it was a very physical game.

Anyways, sounded like a great game and Burg needs to take care of business tonight.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

For a guy who spends his Saturday afternoons in the fall in front of 100,000 people, I find it hard to believe the guy is out to cheat Wheelersburg in high school basketball.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Trooper wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 pm For a guy who spends his Saturday afternoons in the fall in front of 100,000 people, I find it hard to believe the guy is out to cheat Wheelersburg in high school basketball.
So he’s mediocre in front of 100,000 people too? I don’t think he cheats but he ain’t as good as people think.

Personally, I thought the two young guys were better in the jv game than the varsity guys.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

You might not think he cheats but your buddy is convinced he does.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Trooper wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm You might not think he cheats but your buddy is convinced he does.
Where in my posts did I say he cheats? I said I hope he gives Burg a fair shake.

Have you watched the majority of Burg games he has officiated over the years? I believe not.

Like I said not sure what his beef is with Burg but he for sure has one.

Wasn't he the one involved in OSU-Michigan game a few years ago? Plus, what does college football have to do with how he calls a HS BB game? He might be a great official in other games but not in Burg games. I've watched him stare down Burg players after calling a foul on them. This was during Barrick's time there so the players were for sure not mouthing him. Barrick had a little more control over them.

If I ever see him out somewhere I'll ask him what his beef is with Burg. Then I'll let you know!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

He didn’t have any beef with the Pirates Thursday night. No way anyone can say he did.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

smurray wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 am He didn’t have any beef with the Pirates Thursday night. No way anyone can say he did.
Was it a pretty physical game? It usually is between those two.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It was a very physical game and for the most part the officials let them play.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 am
smurray wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 am He didn’t have any beef with the Pirates Thursday night. No way anyone can say he did.
Was it a pretty physical game? It usually is between those two.
As bbjunky81 stated, they let em play for the most part. I would say Wheelersburg was a tad more physical.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 am It was a very physical game and for the most part the officials let them play.
Let who play physical, Waverly????

Waverly had FOUR team fouls in the second half and still only had FOUR with 59 seconds left in OT. You're going to tell me that in a physical game like it sounded like this one was, one team can go a full half and 4 minutes of OT with just four fouls??? BS!!!!!!!

An official will call what he wants to call not what he should call. It happens I bet in just about every HS game in America. Don't try to tell me some officials don't carry grudges against certain teams and no I just don't mean against Burg. I had a friend tell me one time he knew a guy who got his license to do HS games just so that he could screw over a particular school that cut him in HS, so it does happen.

Return to “Boys Basketball”