2020 SVC POY

mikepike
All State

Re: 2020 SVC POY

Post by mikepike »

Swain is a 2nd teamer over Grubb and Newland. Kid from SE over a 3rd Unioto kid? I don't think so (it pains me to say that.) Hoops did his best coaching ever... previous years, his teams so were loaded it would have been embarrassing not to win the league.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mikepike wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 am Swain is a 2nd teamer over Grubb and Newland. Kid from SE over a 3rd Unioto kid? I don't think so (it pains me to say that.) Hoops did his best coaching ever... previous years, his teams so were loaded it would have been embarrassing not to win the league.
It gets easier and easier. Just let it happen

Nipgencounty
Freshman Team

Post by Nipgencounty »

mikepike wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 am Swain is a 2nd teamer over Grubb and Newland. Kid from SE over a 3rd Unioto kid? I don't think so (it pains me to say that.) Hoops did his best coaching ever... previous years, his teams so were loaded it would have been embarrassing not to win the league.
Swain over Grubb is arguable. Newland however, is not. He's a 1,200 point plus scorer who played behind Swingle for two years. Most people outside PV dont realize he's still not completely healthy from the football injury. Normally wouldn't bring up injuries. But hell why not. Other posters on here dont refrain from it. Newland is very deserving of 2nd team.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nipgencounty wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:43 pm
Swain over Grubb is arguable. Newland however, is not. He's a 1,200 point plus scorer who played behind Swingle for two years. Most people outside PV dont realize he's still not completely healthy from the football injury. Normally wouldn't bring up injuries. But hell why not. Other posters on here dont refrain from it. Newland is very deserving of 2nd team.
I have no issue with Newland being where he is. He would start for every team in the league

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

This stuff happens every year in every sport. It’s not new or unique this year. If you are anywhere on the list then it’s a great accomplishment. It doesn’t diminish anything the kids have done or how anyone perceives what type a player they are. I have been inside those voting rooms. If you are depending on coaches to “get it right” then you will always be disappointed. Most of them are good but there’s always going to be a few that have no clue, hold grudges and make the kid pay, or whatever reason they have for voting kids down. I can promise you one thing, dragging them through the mud on this forum won’t help anything. Congrats to all the kids no matter where they landed.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

svc_guy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm This stuff happens every year in every sport. It’s not new or unique this year. If you are anywhere on the list then it’s a great accomplishment. It doesn’t diminish anything the kids have done or how anyone perceives what type a player they are. I have been inside those voting rooms. If you are depending on coaches to “get it right” then you will always be disappointed. Most of them are good but there’s always going to be a few that have no clue, hold grudges and make the kid pay, or whatever reason they have for voting kids down. I can promise you one thing, dragging them through the mud on this forum won’t help anything. Congrats to all the kids no matter where they landed.
Agreed. The kids don’t control who gets picked.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I think the most deserving kids should be recognized. All teams having to be represented is nonsense. The year end awards are for that season, not a career. Just my opinion.

And mlittle, I’ll stick with the Streaks. Ne desire to change allegiances.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

i've seen the paper with everyone's stats 2 people on 2nd team with only 1 top 10 category
everyone else ok with
3rd team 3 peole with a lot better numbers
Honorable Mention one of the boys who Happend to be From Unioto had 3 top top 2's and lead the league in 1 4 total
got the shaft

Im done it was a JOKE

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

This will be my final statement regarding this topic!

I am in no way demeaning any kid, but let's look at this realistically... do you honestly believe that any coach, who dedicates their time to working with these young men, honestly go into that meeting looking to "screw" any kid? Not saying that they dont do what they can to see that their kids get the recognition they deserve, but dont think they do so with the intention on penalizing any kid!

Call the list what you will, and maybe you could have done a better job, of you were able to pick the list, but my honest opinion is that not one kid got left off intentionally!

Cant say that the list is a "joke" as some do, because I honestly cant say that there is one kid on the list who does not deserved recognition! Maybe there are kids I feel should be in different places on the list, but just my opinion! I am fortunate enough to personally know most coaches in our league, and I dont know one of them who would not want any kid not getting appropriate recognition! There opinions may be different than yours, but still doesn't qualify it as a "joke" because every kid on the list, again, in my opinion, deserves recognition!

Not here to argue, and having watched SVC basketball for 20 + years, while working at the scoring table, I dont know that I have ever looked at the list and thought "the coaches got that spot on!" In saying that, I also can not remember one time when I felt that somone was on the list that did not deserve recognition. I also realize that my opinion is just that, my opinion, and is probably going to differ with yours and the coaches!

Congrats to the kids who made it... congrats to those who did not and had an opportunity to share team success (which is far more important and special)... and to the fans, take time to sit back and enjoy the experience of the GREAT league that our student athletes have the opportunity to compete in... and finally, to you parents, enjoy this experience with your kids because it will be gone before you know it (I speak from personal experience)!

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

How about do away with All-league voting? That way mommy and daddy won't be mad.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

That’ll never happen. Every league every sport everywhere in the world does all league stuff. It’s fun for the kids and fun to discuss. Can’t help people’s feelings getting hurt. It happens

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Let me make a point no one will care about.

SVC has 8 teams and 15 kids get recognized and 11 more made honorable mention. That’s too darn many lol. I think 3 teams should do it and I guess in 2020 each team get 1 HM.

FAC has 6 teams and 7 total kids will get recognized, no 2nd team and no HM. Be 4 Chillicothe kids, Wallis and 2 other lucky ones.

Coaches are NOT out to screw over anyone but they definitely will do about anything to get their kids or an extra kid on the teams. I’ve been in 4 such meetings and they are ridiculously shady.

When I was head track coach at Whiteoak we had or district coaches meeting. We were voting on district athlete of the year. I nominated Tanner Walls of Paint Valley and the other coaches told me she couldn’t win because the PV coach hadn’t paid his dues. I said I didn’t care, she’s my pick. She’s was the most deserving. Another year one school I won’t mention had 4 boys win an event at the district meet and therefore earned all-district but their coach didn’t pay his dues either...so I paid it and delivered the 4 deserving athletes their plaques.

I don’t see what’s so hard about being completely fair. Maybe when you watched them the 2x they weren’t as good as they typically are....but often it’s political....but with 26 kids out of 40 starters getting recognized, hard to complain too much
Last edited by Ironman92 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Coaches put up their kids in the order they want them to be voted on. Some put up 1 maybe 2, others put up 4 sometimes 5 and votes get split. The league coaches only vote on the top 15. Honorable mention is simply your own coach picking two members from their own team.
I have heard the first teamers and COY get a bigger piece of chicken at the banquet. Not sure if that's true or not.
Last edited by KRS on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 pm Let me make a point no one will care about.

SVC has 8 teams and 15 kids get recognized and 11 more made honorable mention. That’s too darn many lol. I think 3 teams should do it and I guess in 2020 each team get 1 HM.

FAC has 6 teams and 7 total kids will get recognized, no 2nd team and no HM. Be 4 Chillicothe kids, Wallis and 2 other lucky ones.

Coaches are NOT out to screw over anyone but they definitely will do about anything to get their kids or an extra kid on the teams. I’ve been in 4 such meetings and they are ridiculously shady.

When I was head track coach at Whiteoak we had or district coaches meeting. We were voting on district athlete of the year. I nominated Tanner Walls of Paint Valley and the other coaches told me she couldn’t win because the PV coach hadn’t paid his dues. I said I didn’t care, she’s my pick. She’s was the most deserving. Another year one school I won’t mention had 4 boys win an event at the district meet and therefore earned all-district but there coach didn’t pay his dues either...so I paid it and delivered the 4 deserving athletes their plaques.

I don’t see what’s so hard about being completely fair. Maybe when you watched them the 2x they weren’t as good as they typically are....but often it’s political....but with 26 kids out of 40 starters getting recognized, hard to complain too much
I agree 100%

People are going to complain and that is OK. Also, no matter how many all league people you have, people are always going to think it's not correct, or it is too many or not enough.

A lot.of leagues have went to wherever you finish determines how many picks you get. In the SOC, the winning team gets 3 first team picks and 2 second team picks, which is crazy.

Return to “Boys Basketball”