private vs public?

captainmorgan_
JV Team

private vs public?

Post by captainmorgan_ »

this has been a discussion many times before but what would be the best solution, especially teams like harvest prep, is anyone is the region going to beat them ?

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Re: private vs public?

Post by PirateFan[69] »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 pm this has been a discussion many times before but what would be the best solution, especially teams like harvest prep, is anyone is the region going to beat them ?
Wheelersburg is going to beat them. Third times the charm

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

wheelersburg has to beat chesapeake first and that may be more of a task than they think.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27 pm wheelersburg has to beat chesapeake first and that may be more of a task than they think.
Then if they make it to the District Finals, they have potential matchup with Fairland..... :o :o

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Recruit better

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 pm this has been a discussion many times before but what would be the best solution, especially teams like harvest prep, is anyone is the region going to beat them ?
The knee jerk reaction would be if you cannot beat them, kick them out of the OHSAA. The real world answer would be to invest the resources to make your public school competitive. Even Wheelersburg needs a challenge.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

or they could follow the same rules as public schools?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm or they could follow the same rules as public schools?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (They find ways to stay "within" the bylaws publicly and OHSAA has turned their heads to this privately for decades. They preach integrity & sportsmanship but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference.)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

The OHSSA is all about numbers. Schools enrollment determines their division. The disadvantage is that private schools can pick and choose their students which allows them to keep their numbers low. Public schools are required to educate all students in their district which drives up their numbers. This is a right that all young men and women deserve because they are our future which goes way beyond athletics. There are 2 solutions to the problem: 1) separate the public and private or 2) impose a % to the private side. For example if a private school has enrollment of 400 add a 20% private school adjustment which would now become an enrollment of 500 for athletic purposes. We can talk all we want, but the OHSAA know this is unfair but refuse to do anything about it. OHSAA can make adjustments if they want to. I don't know if it still true, but at one time a home-school children that played a high school sport counted as 5 or 6 against the school numbers. I am glad these children get a chance to play sports because it can teach them so much about teamwork and other aspect that will benefit them later in life. Their parents contribute to the school system by paying property taxes and benefits the school in other ways. If they still have the adjustment it is not fair to that school.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

Sorry about my math. It would add 80 students not 100. The point is that there has to some kind of adjustment to offset their ability to pick and choose.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

We will see how this unfold after the tournaments end and determine if it needs to happen

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:50 pm
captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm or they could follow the same rules as public schools?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (They find ways to stay "within" the bylaws publicly and OHSAA has turned their heads to this privately for decades. They preach integrity & sportsmanship but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference.)
This is all a product of the OHiO State Legislature. School choice is an OHIO Law, the right to participate is a Civil Liberty. Every one of the exceptions and movements have been legally adopted by your elected officials. And if you think it’s bad now wait until the School Choice Bill passes next month.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

make them compete against other private schools-- not fair for small schools --like in SE Ohio--where we have nothing but are local kids. Nobody moves to SE Ohio just to play basketball.

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Post by Soccerfan1 »

interesting read, but my question.....

Sports or no sports, education is not equal at all the schools. I don't hear people complaining about test scores on EOC exams.

If your family lives in a failing school district and you value your children's education, should you be able to get your tax dollars to go another school that is not failing? (EdChoice- Voucher system)

Remember, less than 1% of these children will end up in professional sports... ALL of them need a good education.

Fair is not fair, and not everyone should get a participation ribbon for showing up. Some schools have better athletes and win more. There has to be a winner and a loser in every game.

Private vs Public.... How about educational test scores? If you choose higher test results and it comes from a public school then go public, if it comes from a local private school, go private.... the sports are extracurricular activities and should not weigh on the educational choices that the parents make to better their children.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:37 pm make them compete against other private schools-- not fair for small schools --like in SE Ohio--where we have nothing but are local kids. Nobody moves to SE Ohio just to play basketball.
That is a membership decision of all 800+ schools, that has come up but the schools do not want that.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Soccerfan1 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm interesting read, but my question.....

Sports or no sports, education is not equal at all the schools. I don't hear people complaining about test scores on EOC exams.

If your family lives in a failing school district and you value your children's education, should you be able to get your tax dollars to go another school that is not failing? (EdChoice- Voucher system)

Remember, less than 1% of these children will end up in professional sports... ALL of them need a good education.

Fair is not fair, and not everyone should get a participation ribbon for showing up. Some schools have better athletes and win more. There has to be a winner and a loser in every game.

Private vs Public.... How about educational test scores? If you choose higher test results and it comes from a public school then go public, if it comes from a local private school, go private.... the sports are extracurricular activities and should not weigh on the educational choices that the parents make to better their children.
The failing v not failing is largely a joke, 1. Poverty is not figured in, and yes that makes a difference. 2. By law it’s impossible for these private schools to “fail”. They are not measured like public schools, so how do you really know the measure of success. 3. They do not have to educate everyone.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

let them have their own playoffs.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Soccerfan1 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm interesting read, but my question.....

Are you aware that Private schools do not take EOC’s, that they are NOT actually part of any “report card”. Outside of economic factors, how do they even measure a “success” at a private. Bottom line, they get a free pass, they are not scored at all.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:06 am

Are you aware that Private schools do not take EOC’s, that they are NOT actually part of any “report card”. Outside of economic factors, how do they even measure a “success” at a private. Bottom line, they get a free pass, they are not scored at all.
I think the State of Ohio and its assessment mechanisms, criteria and scoring methods to evaluate public schools is greatly flawed. Especially since none of those evaluations take into consideration the quantitative and qualities impacts that factors such as poverty, percentage of English as a second language etc have on the overall product of education that is being assessed.

With that said, I don’t need a bunch of the same dumb criteria that’s applied to public schools to tell me what I already know about the quality of education the private school I support offers.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:41 am
Pol pot wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:06 am

I think the State of Ohio and its assessment mechanisms, criteria and scoring methods to evaluate public schools is greatly flawed. Especially since none of those evaluations take into consideration the quantitative and qualities impacts that factors such as poverty, percentage of English as a second language etc have on the overall product of education that is being assessed.

With that said, I don’t need a bunch of the same dumb criteria that’s applied to public schools to tell me what I already know about the quality of education the private school I support offers.
To do what is being done is strictly arbitrary! This is the same stuff that got the on-line scandal started, hand money out and have zero checks, do not measure on the same standards, etc., I am not saying that established Catholic schools are or would be crooks like e-Cot and others were, but this is a door that opens for fleecing in the multitude of non-religious charters. And again, it’s absolutely absurd to gauge and measure success (in a very flawed) system, of one group and then hold the other group to an entirely different standard!

Return to “Boys Basketball”