Waterboy

Re: Best College Basketball Player of All Time

Post by RoyBatty »

'Pistol" Pete Maravich

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I second Bob and Roy's picks. Alcindor for the frontcourt and Maravich for the backcourt. I had the privilege to see both play in college.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

I too saw them play along with Walton

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

ESPN had MJ, but I’m not sure if he even would be in the top 5

The 3 already mentioned were better. I think (H)Akeem Olajuwon was better as well.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Gotta go with Lew Alcindor (Most dominant & game changing ) and Pistol Pete (passing & scoring) also. Remember, the dunk was outlawed for 10 years in college (67-76) primarily because of Alcindor and what he could do, so that's when he developed and perfected his patented sky hook ........ and Maravich was amazing in college avg. around 45 pts. a game and his assists and passing abilities were just as good. Both played when you couldn't play varsity as a freshmen but everyone played thru their senior years back then. Then Moses Malone came out of high school straight to the NBA in 74' and changed the college game forever. I've been a big fan of college bb for a long, long time and regardless of timeframe, these 2 are at the top of my list.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Elvin Hayes, Jerry Lucas, Oscar Robertson. All better in college than Jordan in college

RoyBatty
Waterboy

Post by RoyBatty »

Jordan was a very good college player but with Dean being his coach , he was never going to be above and beyond everyone else.

Maravich would have easily averaged 60pts a game if there had been a 3 point line when he played. A good read on Pete is the book "Heir to a Dream"

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Alcindor. Not very close.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Bobevans wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 am Elvin Hayes, Jerry Lucas, Oscar Robertson. All better in college than Jordan in college
100% better!

AT THE RESERVATION
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Maravich, no question.

All-Time leading NCAA scorer (3667pts) in only 3 seasons (44.2 ppg avg). If the 3pt line had existed he would have averaged 57ppg (according to Dale Brown shot charts).

Post by Gator B Long »

Lew Alcindor
I’ll go w/ Bevo Francis if points is solely your barometer.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 am Maravich, no question.

All-Time leading NCAA scorer (3667pts) in only 3 seasons (44.2 ppg avg). If the 3pt line had existed he would have averaged 57ppg (according to Dale Brown shot charts).
I remember seeing that about what Dale Brown said. My goodness Pete was so fun to watch. Still watch some of his videos every so often.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Laettner.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

The late 60's and early 70's was the era of the "Gunners". Not only did you have Pete Maravich, you had Calvin Murphy of Niagara, Bo Lamar of SW Louisiana, Johnny Neumann of Ole Miss, Rick Mount of Purdue, Dan Issel of Kentucky and others. An interesting name of the past was Travis "Machine Gun" Grant of Kentucky State. Most of the above players had a lot of problems at the defensive end however. The best college player was probably Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) although my favorite was the Ohio State star Jerry Lucas.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Pete Maravich ! Was by far ! But John Wooden UCLA teams was something else to watch.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

pat ewing

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Buckeye1972 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 am The late 60's and early 70's was the era of the "Gunners". Not only did you have Pete Maravich, you had Calvin Murphy of Niagara, Bo Lamar of SW Louisiana, Johnny Neumann of Ole Miss, Rick Mount of Purdue, Dan Issel of Kentucky and others. An interesting name of the past was Travis "Machine Gun" Grant of Kentucky State. Most of the above players had a lot of problems at the defensive end however. The best college player was probably Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) although my favorite was the Ohio State star Jerry Lucas.
Yep. Bo was part of those Columbus East high school teams in the late 60's that were dominant.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

Ed Ratleff was also a star at East on those teams. It would have been interesting to see which team was better in Columbus. The East team or the Walnut Ridge team of Ed Stahl a few years later. Both teams had numerous DIV 1 College players.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Being that basketball was so much different years ago, just his size alone would have to make Lew Alcindor probably the most dominate player of all time. Maybe just the fact that they played in the State of Ohio, but I would have to think that Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas would have to be mentioned also.

Return to “College Sports”