West Basketball

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

West Basketball

Post by Bobevans »

I've heard a couple names for the job to, but I've also heard that Charlie Kitchen spoke to Bazler the superintendent about the job. He did a great job in a short time when he took over the West job when Gibson quit early in the season. He had Alf Bricker and that group of guys. Tough bunch but they bought in to what he wanted and it turned out great for those seniors. I think it was the first non losing season that West had had in a few years. Kitchen would be a good choice of a teaching job would become available. Maybe the super should work on that. Just my opinion.

Westfan
SEOP

Re: West Basketball

Post by Westfan »

He did a really good job. I don't know the circumstances, but I wish they could've/would've kept him as head coach.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Who are the candidates?

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I don't know if I'd call running flex vs a 2-3 zone and only having one baseline out of bounds play doing a great job.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Well, Runner00 maybe you should apply for the job. With your superior knowledge of the game you would be heads above all others

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Runner00 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 am I don't know if I'd call running flex vs a 2-3 zone and only having one baseline out of bounds play doing a great job.
The guy took over like mid season. No prior knowledge of the players or what they could do.

Alot of these coaches worry way too much about plays, and not enough about fundamentals and discipline.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Your right West Fan. From my understanding one of the big problems eith that team was team unity and discipline. They would bicker and argue with each other during a game. When Kitchen came in he stopped all that and brought them together as a team and not a bunch of individuals. That's not an easy thing to do when you come in to a situation like that. With that said he did do a nice job with them. He would have stayed there but the circumstances were the same then as they are now. No teaching position

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

What happened to Hafer? It looked like he was turning the program into being competitive

Netcutter
Waterboy

Post by Netcutter »

Any word on interviews or frontrunners for this job?

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Whoever it is, I hope he is able to get a staff from 7-12 (actually biddy ball also) willing to work together. I may just be interested in helping out! lol

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Good luck. It’s a mess at many places !

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Bobevans wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:40 pm I've heard a couple names for the job to, but I've also heard that Charlie Kitchen spoke to Bazler the superintendent about the job. He did a great job in a short time when he took over the West job when Gibson quit early in the season. He had Alf Bricker and that group of guys. Tough bunch but they bought in to what he wanted and it turned out great for those seniors. I think it was the first non losing season that West had had in a few years. Kitchen would be a good choice of a teaching job would become available. Maybe the super should work on that. Just my opinion.
He came in during the 2007-2008 season. Nathan Brandenburg, Matt Simpson, and Boyce Jordan were seniors and Alfie would have been in the junior on that team. That year we started with Gibson then Dunham coached them at South Webster then Triplet was on the side line for a couple games including a win at New
Boston before Charlie Kitchen and Arden took over. We went on to go 10-10 that season.

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
Cute az bunny
Waterboy

Post by Cute az bunny »

What happened to the basketball pro??
Fultz not good enough now???

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Cute az bunny wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:54 pm What happened to the basketball pro??
"Cute", I'm pretty sure I know who you are. I understand the frustration of working with a program through hard times (little talent) and not getting to see it through the (experienced and talented) good. I also know what it's like to work with and develop talented JH student/athletes, but not get to hang around to see and share their successes at the next level. It's not worth the anxiety or hatred you may be feeling, just be thankful for the time shared with youth who needed a person who cared. I miss coaching terribly, but I've come to the conclusion my time is probably over. But if I do get the chance to coach again, I will cherish each and every second!

Cute az bunny
Waterboy

Post by Cute az bunny »

CoachC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Cute az bunny wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:54 pm What happened to the basketball pro??
"Cute", I'm pretty sure I know who you are. I understand the frustration of working with a program through hard times (little talent) and not getting to see it through the (experienced and talented) good. I also know what it's like to work with and develop talented JH student/athletes, but not get to hang around to see and share their successes at the next level. It's not worth the anxiety or hatred you may be feeling, just be thankful for the time shared with youth who needed a person who cared. I miss coaching terribly, but I've come to the conclusion my time is probably over. But if I do get the chance to coach again, I will cherish each and every second!
Some do except the one calling me MR. BUNNY!!!
Well said, every word was true. Show how people are now a days.❤️

Return to “Boys Basketball”