Finally the kids can practice on Monday!

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Finally the kids can practice on Monday!

Post by greygoose »

Paladin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 pm We have a certain segment of the population who refuses to wear masks, won’t social distance and lives life as if nothing is wrong. Since DeWine opened things up, these people refused to follow the rules. And now, all the work is going down the tubes. It’s blowing back up again. Same on the national level where politics is making the pandemic much worse.

Things are not looking good.
You are correct and where they went wrong is backing down when telling people they weren't required to wear mask. However, all the work was going to go down the tubes regardless of when we reopened. Without a vaccine or a proper cure fighting medicine whether we opened up after, 1 week, 6 months or 1 year, or never closed at all the numbers were going to guy sky rocketing especially in these vacation spots. They wanted to slow the curve great, but you locked people up in the spring gave them cabin fever and then everyone opened up at once and they created this spike in numbers. People talked about the spring breakers but they never closed the beaches until after they left. They opened up everything right at vacation season, coincidence?? No one should be surprised by spiking numbers it was going to happen regardless, so not sure why posting about the obvious should surprise you.

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

IMO a persons stance on Covid is based solely on how they react to a set of given numbers presented to them. If told a global disaster was inevitable but 99% of the population would survive, basically little fanfare would accompany the news. Told a global disaster we couldn't do anything to stop would wipe out 78,000,000 people and you get the "OMG almost 80 million dead!!!". Its the same number...…. 1% of the global population. People just react differently. No one, from the beginning ever presented a number that I thought warranted the drastic overhaul of our day to day lives. There is no evidence of exponential growth, which would then perhaps cause a need for reaction. That just isn't there.

We're at less than 1% (2.5M) of the US population having even tested positive for this. Of course as testing increases, confirmation cases will rise..... so what? Unless hospitalization/deaths rise accordingly to testing..... so what? 125K deaths, that's less than 1/2 of 1% of the countries population. These numbers don't scare me. I doubt I'd react to 1% of the population (3.3M) dead from Covid. The numbers are infantile in the overall scope.

By percentages, a student athlete is more likely to die in a car accident on the way to practice than even contracting Covid. Since I don't see a thread demanding the complete restructuring of how those under the age of 18 travel to and from school/practice/ect….. I would think someone is just scared of big numbers without ever putting them in context to the subject.
Last edited by Toz15 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

AAnnnd! with his/her first ever post Toz15 wins the internet....MIC DROP BOOOOOOOM!!!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Wow, great first post.

Hoopsallday
Waterboy

Post by Hoopsallday »

Toz15 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 am IMO a persons stance on Covid is based solely on how they react to a set of given numbers presented to them. If told a global disaster was inevitable but 99% of the population would survive, basically little fanfare would accompany the news. Told a global disaster we couldn't do anything to stop would wipe out 78,000,000 people and you get the "OMG almost 80 million dead!!!". Its the same number...…. 1% of the global population. People just react differently. No one, from the beginning ever presented a number that I thought warranted the drastic overhaul of our day to day lives. There is no evidence of exponential growth, which would then perhaps cause a need for reaction. That just isn't there.

We're at less than 1% (2.5M) of the US population even testing for this. Of course as testing increases, confirmation cases will rise..... so what? Unless hospitalization/deaths rise accordingly to testing..... so what? 125K deaths, that's less than 1/2 of 1% of the countries population. These numbers don't scare me. I doubt I'd react to 1% of the population (3.3M) dead from Covid. The numbers are infantile in the overall scope.

By percentages, a student athlete is more likely to die in a car accident on the way to practice than even contracting Covid. Since I don't see a thread demanding the complete restructuring of how those under the age of 18 travel to and from school/practice/ect….. I would think someone is just scared of big numbers without ever putting them in context to the subject.

Well said. One of the best posts that I've read in awhile.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 pm
countywide35 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 am DeWine should feel comfortable with whatever decision he makes. A new Quinnipiac poll shows the people of Ohio approve of his administration by 75% to a disapproval of 19%. That mirrors the common population attitudes of education over playing football which is viewed as risky.

I want DeWine to step and bite the bullet for the football season soon to be gone. And not put the responsibility on local school
Boards.
If numbers keep going up, that's probably what's coming. I've tried to stay positive, but every rumor of new cases (and I'm hearing them locally) makes me think high school football this fall getting more and more unlikely. Right now my guess is OHSAA allows conditioning through end of July and then a Dewine shutdown announcement comes right before full contact is to begin August 1. Again, hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat my crow if so.*

I agree. I would Eat a double dose of crow. Haha

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

There is NO reason that students are not back in the classroom full in the fall. There is NO reason that the kids don't play fall sports. This OVERREACTION screwed millions of kids out of spring sports, graduations, proms, etc. Enough is Enough! If a kid gets the virus, he will be fine. It is just like the flu and it may go through the team. They say 125,000 have died from it. Well, it is probably about 30,000 ACTUALLY died from it and most were in nursing homes. How many would have died anyway since mid March? Well, 7,700 die in the U.S. everyday on the average. Add it up!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

longball wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 am STOP TROLLING!!!! We're supposed to be here to talk about football!! I could care less about a Quinnipiac poll or the New York marathon. You are both trolls who need to take yourselves to a political forum because you obviously have zero interest in the kids and HS football..
Why do you consider it trolling when every sign we are getting is that the couple of voices here saying not to get your hopes up are going to end up being right?

States are backing off their reopening plans all over the country. Local schools continue to shut down athletics one by one. You can deny and kick and scream all you want, but the odds are not in our favor for fall sports nor for school opening as we are used to.

Disagree politically if you like, but the voice of science is going to end up guiding the big decisions and all the signs point to modified operation (which means no sports and probably no full, in-person schooling). Nobody, even those who have known it was coming since March, *wants* that. But a few reasonable people here (and a large population outside of a sports-centric message board) understand that it is reality.

Acknowledging it doesn’t mean you are a troll or anti-sports or anti-kids. I personally hate it because my son is a senior, will be in the best shape of his life coming back from boot camp in August and our team has the potential to be the best one our school has seen in 20 years. Toss that on top of a wrestler missing his state opportunity and the baseball team missing out on a potential big season (both school and legion ball) and there are a lot of dreams/experiences of people I know and care about that have been and likely will be dashed. It really ****ing sucks, but, my/your/lots of other people’s wishful thinking isn’t going to change that decision-makers are going to consider life/health more important than games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 pm
longball wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 am STOP TROLLING!!!! We're supposed to be here to talk about football!! I could care less about a Quinnipiac poll or the New York marathon. You are both trolls who need to take yourselves to a political forum because you obviously have zero interest in the kids and HS football..
Why do you consider it trolling when every sign we are getting is that the couple of voices here saying not to get your hopes up are going to end up being right?

States are backing off their reopening plans all over the country. Local schools continue to shut down athletics one by one. You can deny and kick and scream all you want, but the odds are not in our favor for fall sports nor for school opening as we are used to.

Disagree politically if you like, but the voice of science is going to end up guiding the big decisions and all the signs point to modified operation (which means no sports and probably no full, in-person schooling). Nobody, even those who have known it was coming since March, *wants* that. But a few reasonable people here (and a large population outside of a sports-centric message board) understand that it is reality.

Acknowledging it doesn’t mean you are a troll or anti-sports or anti-kids. I personally hate it because my son is a senior, will be in the best shape of his life coming back from boot camp in August and our team has the potential to be the best one our school has seen in 20 years. Toss that on top of a wrestler missing his state opportunity and the baseball team missing out on a potential big season (both school and legion ball) and there are a lot of dreams/experiences of people I know and care about that have been and likely will be dashed. It really ****ing sucks, but, my/your/lots of other people’s wishful thinking isn’t going to change that decision-makers are going to consider life/health more important than games.
The science is marred with political influence. Daily cases go up but little reporting of death and age group. Little report of recovery. Little report of hospitalization. No one is saying we need to have sports at any cost but people are done with the apocalyptic reporting when you can walk around the grocery store and Lowe’s. People are starting to take notice. But this you can note, if high school sports are shut down, they won’t recover for many years if any.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm

The science is marred with political influence. Daily cases go up but little reporting of death and age group. Little report of recovery. Little report of hospitalization. No one is saying we need to have sports at any cost but people are done with the apocalyptic reporting when you can walk around the grocery store and Lowe’s. People are starting to take notice.
Whose politics? Who is motivated to keep things closed so much that they’re making up the science to push the agenda? And if it is made up or overly apocalyptic, why are certain leaders buckling to the pressure. For example, it is pretty clear that the public ended up being split by conservatives saying it’s a hoax and liberals saying it’s doomsday (I’ll qualify, I don’t think anybody ever said it was going to kill EVERYONE, just that it has characteristics that make it more serious - or unknown - than the common flu). But states with both types of leadership poop down. Then states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas all said screw it and went all in on ignoring it, but now they’re backing it up again. What is the political motivation to revert back to shutting things down now?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The answer is - the optics are bad. You can’t worship the almighty dollar while people are dying, getting scarred and inflamed lungs for life or in the hospital for months sick as a dog. No worse than the flu ? That dog won’t hunt. The optics ,the politics are awful. This is a massive political overkill by the Rs that is coming back to make them look extremely foolish and incompetent while risking everyone’s lives. Another shutdown is on the way. The political backlash will be overwhelming. Just watch what happens.

Have gun, will travel
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm

The science is marred with political influence. Daily cases go up but little reporting of death and age group. Little report of recovery. Little report of hospitalization. No one is saying we need to have sports at any cost but people are done with the apocalyptic reporting when you can walk around the grocery store and Lowe’s. People are starting to take notice.
Whose politics? Who is motivated to keep things closed so much that they’re making up the science to push the agenda? And if it is made up or overly apocalyptic, why are certain leaders buckling to the pressure. For example, it is pretty clear that the public ended up being split by conservatives saying it’s a hoax and liberals saying it’s doomsday (I’ll qualify, I don’t think anybody ever said it was going to kill EVERYONE, just that it has characteristics that make it more serious - or unknown - than the common flu). But states with both types of leadership poop down. Then states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas all said screw it and went all in on ignoring it, but now they’re backing it up again. What is the political motivation to revert back to shutting things down now?
It’s not a hoax, it is a real disease but it’s being used by political parties. Just today, I saw a post about how president Trump is to blame for the increase of cases. How? Whether you like him or not, how? He doesn’t have control over the states. No one can convince me it’s not being used for political gain. You can’t tell the public you can continue getting cheeseburgers through a window by a lady wearing gloves, touching everyone’s money and food coming and going, and never changing those gloves without any recourse but say playing a sport is going to rapidly cause a spike in cases. That doesn’t add up. Why the double standards? Just watch the news. Most news outlets blame the states opening up too soon caused the increas but didn’t we have like a nation wide protest?

If you shut it down, the public will take it as a sign that this is not going away, public education will die. People will resort to other means of education which is readily available now. Shutting down public schools any longer will result in the death of public schools, no one will vote new levies in, etc.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The above threats are there because someone deems football as more important than a health emergency. Public ed will be fine. Football takes a backseat this year.

Have gun, will travel
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will have practice tomorrow

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Enjoy while you can.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I for one also says in the end when push comes to shove there will be no football as we know it this year.Public education will be fine but fall sports will not be the same. Here’s its July 1 and schools are conditioning for now, let’s see how this pans out come August 15 and numbers on the rise as we speak.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 pm The answer is - the optics are bad. You can’t worship the almighty dollar while people are dying, getting scarred and inflamed lungs for life or in the hospital for months sick as a dog. No worse than the flu ? That dog won’t hunt. The optics ,the politics are awful. This is a massive political overkill by the Rs that is coming back to make them look extremely foolish and incompetent while risking everyone’s lives. Another shutdown is on the way. The political backlash will be overwhelming. Just watch what happens.
[/qute]

This evening at the Jackson Sideliners Booster Club meeting the vote was unanimously to cancel the 2020 Jackson Pee Wee Football program. First time since they started the booster club and it’s pee wee program since 1987 that there will be no fall football for the the young kids in Jackson.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Football_fanatic
Waterboy

Post by Football_fanatic »

Toz15 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 am IMO a persons stance on Covid is based solely on how they react to a set of given numbers presented to them. If told a global disaster was inevitable but 99% of the population would survive, basically little fanfare would accompany the news. Told a global disaster we couldn't do anything to stop would wipe out 78,000,000 people and you get the "OMG almost 80 million dead!!!". Its the same number...…. 1% of the global population. People just react differently. No one, from the beginning ever presented a number that I thought warranted the drastic overhaul of our day to day lives. There is no evidence of exponential growth, which would then perhaps cause a need for reaction. That just isn't there.

We're at less than 1% (2.5M) of the US population having even tested positive for this. Of course as testing increases, confirmation cases will rise..... so what? Unless hospitalization/deaths rise accordingly to testing..... so what? 125K deaths, that's less than 1/2 of 1% of the countries population. These numbers don't scare me. I doubt I'd react to 1% of the population (3.3M) dead from Covid. The numbers are infantile in the overall scope.

Wow. This is an excellent post and definitely one of the best one's in regards to this whole situation.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Football_fanatic wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Wow. This is an excellent post and definitely one of the best one's in regards to this whole situation.
It’s a great write up but for some it has many intellectual view points and wording that will flyover some that have difficulties in reality perception.

Return to “Football”