Ohio State Off Season All Things (2020 Football Season To Resume 10/24))

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio State Suspends Recruiting Travel and Recruit Visits

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 pm Not really about recruiting news, but a few days ago Former Ohio State Fullback Dionte' Johnson's shoe store, Sole Classics, was damaged and looted during the Columbus protests this past Friday night. Multiple Videos surfaced on Social Media that showed people breaking into Johnson's store and stealing numerous items. Johnson was a team Captain in the 2004-2007 years for the Buckeyes. He has 2 business locations in the Columbus area, one on North High Street and the other in Dublin on Sawmill Road.
Well being that I just posted about a Former players ( 2004-2007 ) business being damaged and looted, it only seems fair that I would post about a current Buckeye player, Wide Receiver C.J. Saunders being detained and arrested by the Columbus Police Monday evening. He was arrested around 10:45 PM in the campus area after an earlier protest had recently been dispersed. This past Saturday a 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM curfew city wide had been put into effect. I'm pretty sure that he was released early Tuesday morning after posting bail. I'm also pretty sure that he wasn't the only person arrested. Saunders is a 6th year Senior who is still awaiting word from the NCAA as to whether or not he will receive an additional year of eligibility. He was voted a team captain last year, even though it seems as if he has bby injuries a big part of his career as a Buckeye. He is regarded as one of the top leaders on the team.
Well I would say that this curfew charge against C.J. Saunders ended about as well as anyone could expect today, as the charges were dropped for the time served Monday evening till early Tuesday morning. As I said before, he was probably not the only person that was detained, but being on the football team, that sometimes is what the Media likes to focus there attention on. Not in anyway do I not think that the curfew should not have been put in place, with the damaging and looting of businesses and property.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well this is certainly not recruiting news about any of the Buckeye Sports teams, but in a certain way she was kind of recruited also. Ohio State has named Kristina Johnson as its 16th University President. She will begin her tenure at Ohio State on September 1st, succeeding Michael Drake who had earlier announced his desire to retire. She is a graduate of Stanford University, with a PH in Electrical Engineering. She has been Chancellor of State University of New York since 2017.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Again not about recruiting but being it is about Ex Buckeye football players, it is interesting to me. Just today Ex Buckeye Mike Doss has joined James Laurinaitis and Chris Ward as one of 3 Ex Buckeyes this year to be nominated for the College Football Hall of Fame Class for the 2021 year. I'm pretty sure that you at one time in your college career that you had to have been an All American to be able to have been nominated. The Buckeyes have had 26 players selected to the College Football Hall of Fame in it's lifetime.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Thank you VM for keeping the news on OSU going.!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Three Star cornerback Devonta Smith a Senior from Cincinnati LaSalle High School has announced that he has decommitted from Ohio State. He had committed to the Buckeyes March 16, but it seemed as if communication had lessened over the past few weeks, therefore Smith has decided to part ways. Not sure but information has surfaced that it might have been a mutual parting between he and the Buckeyes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Remember the name Matthew Baldwin, the former Ohio State quarterback. He transferred to TCU last year about the same time that Tate Martel was transferring to Miami of Florida. This was also the same time frame that Justin Fields had transferred to the Buckeyes from University of Georgia. At that particular time it had left the Buckeyes with pretty much of a depth problem at QB until the Buckeyes were able to get Gunner Hoak through the transfer portal from University of Kentucky. From what I can remember from Baldwin was that he was injured his senior year of high school while playing in his playoff game on the first play of the game. I think he spent his freshman year at OSU rehabbing his knee injury, and even took part in the spring game before deciding to transfer back to his home state of Texas. After spending last year fighting a lingering back injury, as well as a couple more knee injuries, he has decided to just part ways with football as it just doesn't seem as if he could get well enough to play. He plans to stay in school at TCU.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:44 pm Even though recruiting has been suspended for the time being, the Buckeyes never the less, has picked up a couple defensive back commitments in the last couple days. One a very highly rated 4-star from the St.Louis area, and then today a 3-star from Cincinnati area. These both are 2021 commits.
As I posted earlier today about recruiting being suspended for the time being, and the Buckeyes in the last couple days being able to get commitments from two highly rated defensive backs, well even better news a short time ago, as they got a commitment from Evan Pryor the 5th rated running back in the country. He's a 4-star running back from North Carolina, who was being recruited very heavenly by North Carolina, Georgia, LSU, Penn State and quite a few other top programs around the country. He's a 2021 recruit, and from what I've read, they are also looking very strongly in trying to possibly even trying to bring in another running back in the 2021 class.
After a series of racists videos and Snapchat messages were made public on Twitter by a student at William Amos Hough High School in Cornelias, North Carolina on Wednesday night, Ohio State running back commit Evan Pryor, a 4-Star #5 rated running back in the country, has responded with his own message that he experiences racism every day at Hough high school, and that he is willing to sit out his senior season if social changes are not made, and if racism is not addressed. He also stated that Head Coach Ryan Day and coach Tony Alford are 100% behind him for standing up for what he thinks is right.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Being that I have already posted a few topics that didn't really pertain to recruiting, I hope that one more won't hurt, as it does still have something to do with the Buckeyes. The Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame will add 12 new members this fall. The Class of 2020 will include Aaron Brown, ( Football ) Francis Schmidt, ( Football Coach ) Samantha Prahalis, ( Basketball ) Eric Brunner, ( Soccer ) Amanda Furrer, ( Rifle ) Steven Kehoe, (Vollyball ) Daren Lynch, ( Gymnastics ) Regis Monahan, ( Football ) Lance Palmer, ( Wrestling ) Don Perry, ( Gymnastics ) Amanda Purcell, ( Rowing ) Karan Dennis, ( Director of Track @ Field @ Cross Country ). They will be honored at halftime of the Sept.26 game against Rutgers. The OSU Hall of Fame was created in 1977, and has had 446 people inducted through 2019.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 pm Three Star cornerback Devonta Smith a Senior from Cincinnati LaSalle High School has announced that he has decommitted from Ohio State. He had committed to the Buckeyes March 16, but it seemed as if communication had lessened over the past few weeks, therefore Smith has decided to part ways. Not sure but information has surfaced that it might have been a mutual parting between he and the Buckeyes.
It didn't take 3-Star Devonta Smith very long to find a new school as today he committed to University of Alabama. The Buckeyes have already recruited at least 4 other higher rated recruits than Smith, and if the information is correct, then I think it may have been a mutual parting of ways. Still wish him success with the Tide, that is unless it happens to be against the Buckeyes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've posted about a lot of different things under this topic besides recruiting, so here I go again. Just saw today where Urban Meyer has been named the Big Ten Coach of the Decade by the Big Ten Network. Meyer compiled an 83-9 record while at OSU, including a 54-4 record in Big 10 games. He won a National Championship at the end of the 2014 season, witch just happened to be the First ever College Football Playoffs. He won conference titles in 2014, 2017 and 2018. To me one of the most important things that he did while at OSU, was the fact that he went 7-0 against that team up-north.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Being that I posted about Urban making the Big Ten Coach of the Decade, It wouldn't really be fair if I didn't mention witch players were selected. J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller are 2 of seven Ohio State players to make the All-Decade first team, joining offensive linemen Wyatt Davis and Billy Price, defensive linemen Joey Bosa and Chase Young, and safety Malik Hooker. Nine other Buckeyes made the All-Decade 2nd team, QB Dwayne Haskins, running back Ezekiel Elliott, offensive linemen Taylor Decker and Pat Elflein, defensive end Nick Bosa, linebacker Ryan Shazier, defensive backs Jeff Okudah and Vonn Bell, and punter Cameron Johnston. Another very important thing to remember was that QB J.T. Barrett went 4-0 against that team up-north.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm Well this is certainly not recruiting news about any of the Buckeye Sports teams, but in a certain way she was kind of recruited also. Ohio State has named Kristina Johnson as its 16th University President. She will begin her tenure at Ohio State on September 1st, succeeding Michael Drake who had earlier announced his desire to retire. She is a graduate of Stanford University, with a PH in Electrical Engineering. She has been Chancellor of State University of New York since 2017.
Being that I had posted who was replacing him when he had announced his retirement earlier, it was reported today that Michael Drake has been named the new President of University of California at Berkley. I seem to remember that he had been at U.C. Irvine at one time before becoming President at Ohio State University.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am Being that I posted about Urban making the Big Ten Coach of the Decade, It wouldn't really be fair if I didn't mention witch players were selected. J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller are 2 of seven Ohio State players to make the All-Decade first team, joining offensive linemen Wyatt Davis and Billy Price, defensive linemen Joey Bosa and Chase Young, and safety Malik Hooker. Nine other Buckeyes made the All-Decade 2nd team, QB Dwayne Haskins, running back Ezekiel Elliott, offensive linemen Taylor Decker and Pat Elflein, defensive end Nick Bosa, linebacker Ryan Shazier, defensive backs Jeff Okudah and Vonn Bell, and punter Cameron Johnston. Another very important thing to remember was that QB J.T. Barrett went 4-0 against that team up-north.
A lot of players going undefeated or close to it the last twenty years against that team up north. Eventually they will run out of gold :D

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:37 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am Being that I posted about Urban making the Big Ten Coach of the Decade, It wouldn't really be fair if I didn't mention witch players were selected. J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller are 2 of seven Ohio State players to make the All-Decade first team, joining offensive linemen Wyatt Davis and Billy Price, defensive linemen Joey Bosa and Chase Young, and safety Malik Hooker. Nine other Buckeyes made the All-Decade 2nd team, QB Dwayne Haskins, running back Ezekiel Elliott, offensive linemen Taylor Decker and Pat Elflein, defensive end Nick Bosa, linebacker Ryan Shazier, defensive backs Jeff Okudah and Vonn Bell, and punter Cameron Johnston. Another very important thing to remember was that QB J.T. Barrett went 4-0 against that team up-north.
A lot of players going undefeated or close to it the last twenty years against that team up north. Eventually they will run out of gold :D
[/quot's

You can never get to many sets of those " gold pants." You are certainly right as far as how much success that the Buckeyes have enjoyed in the past years against that team up north. We are probably going to have a shortened season this year, if any season at all. Things are just really up in the air right now, and it's probably not even possible to predict what is going to happen in the next few days or weeks going forward. I have to tell you this little happening from yesterday, 91/2 Inches posted on a couple topic's yesterday, and I was glad to see him posting, as I really enjoy bantering back and forth with him, I even told him that I could probably convince myself to tune in and watch Michigan on TV. The more that I thought about it, no doubt it was the fact that I was out in the "Sun" to long yesterday, to even consider making a statement such as that. Lol

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

As usual a lot of hot air being blown around in Columbus..... :roll:

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:44 pm As usual a lot of hot air being blown around in Columbus..... :roll:
Really glad to see you back posting, wait till Tiger Bait starts coming back at you. Lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:37 pm Just read where Jaelen Gill of the Buckeyes will be entering the Transfer Portal. He was a very highly rated 4 or 5 Star local kid ( I think Westerville South ) coming out of high school, and was rated the 30th best overall talent in the Country, as well as the 4th highest rated recruit in the 2018 class for the Buckeyes. He was kind of a Hybrid wide receiver/ running back for the Buckeyes, but for whatever reason just didn't get the playing time that he was looking for. With the talent that the Buckeyes have coming in, some think that he felt that he was just buried on the depth chart, and the fact that he is a redshirt sophomore, with 3 years of eligibility left to play, it would just be better to seek playing time somewhere else. Being that he is a local kid, I really hate to see him transfer, but I also think that he will really help whoever he decides to transfer too. He will probably have to seek a waiver to be able to be eligible to play next year, and being that the one time transfer has yet to be voted on, that's still up in the air.
I posted about a month ago the fact that Jaelen Gill, a very highly rated Local kid out of Westerville South had submitted his name into the Transfer Portal, well he has decided to transfer to Boston College and play for recent Buckeye coach Jeff Hafley. For whatever reason he just didn't get to play that much with the Buckeyes. I still think that he is a very talented player, and should be a great addition for Boston College.
Former Ohio State wide receiver Jaelen Gill, out of Westerville, Ohio, has announced that he has been granted immediate eligibility from the NCAA allowing him to play this year at Boston College, rather than having to sit out a year. Gills father, Rod, thanked both Ohio State coach Ryan Day and Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley, for their effort to make this happen. A redshirt sophomore, Gill will have 3 years of eligibility to play for Boston College. Gill is a very gifted player, and should make an immediate impact for B.C.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read where QB Justin Fields has been named to the Davey O'Brien Award Watch List. The award is supposed to honor college footballs best Quarterback. Fields was one of 3 finalists for the award last year, in which Ex Buckeye Joe Burrow won, and I might say deservingly so. If they are able to play this year, Fields and Trevor Lawrence of Clemson are expected to be two of the front runners, as well as for the Heisman Trophy.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ohio State wide receiver Chris Olave was named today as one of 55 receivers on the preseason watchlist for the Biletnikoff Award, which honors college footballs best receiver. Oliva enters his Junior season at Ohio State as the Buckeyes #1 receiver, after leading the team with 849 YD and 12 TD on 49 receptions. After a costly route running mistake that led to a game-sealing interception for Clemson in the playoff semifinals, Olave is motivated to be one of the best wide receivers in the country in 2020.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Michael Redd, one of Ohio States all-time basketball greats will deliver the commencement address to University Graduates this summer. Redd, who played for the Buckeyes from 1997-2000, will be the featured speaker at Ohio States virtual commencement for close to 1600 graduates this summer. Michael was a leader on the court for Ohio State and continues to lead off the court in the , Columbus community. A native of Columbus Redd earned MVP honors in each of his 3 seasons with the Buckeyes, where he scored 1879 pts, the 6th most in Ohio State history. He was inducted into both the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame, and the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame. He spent 12 years in the NBA, of which 11 of those were with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Return to “College Sports”