Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 am UCONN becomes first FBS team to cancel season:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... oronavirus
It doesn't really mean much football wise, but saw earlier where the Big East had cancelled all fall sports. I'm pretty sure that University of Connecticut is the only school in the Big East that even plays football, and they had already announced earlier that they were not going to play football this fall.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Southern Conference cancels 2020 football season. Only FCS league not cancelled is the Ohio Valley Conference

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/8/13/ ... ition.aspx

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Battle of the Football Island: 6 FBS Conferences stand their ground to play the 2020 football season. After Mark Emmert called off all NCAA fall sports Championships except football, the one he cannot touch, 76 FBS schools are still clinging to it with desperate determination . The Big 12, SEC and the ACC will call the shots going forward, with the American Athletic, Conference USA and the Sun Belt willing to ride or fold alongside them. They can simply field a football team and nothing else this fall, which would look exactly like what it is, a naked money grab that would appease their fan base's. On the other hand they could basically raise double birds to the NCAA and say, "we believe all fall sports are safe to contest," so we're going to play them all, even if there is no National Championship. This could be a principled stand on behalf of all the athletes, or it could be a shameless smokescreen to justify continuing to play football.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Rutgers had at least 30 players test positive foe Covid-19. This article is buried on ESPN's NCAAF page, probably because it's Rutgers and wouldn't get the clicks that a bigger program would get. But no doubt, this probably had a lot to do with the Big Ten's decision to postpone. Coach Schiano said we are going to be fine, a lot of people lost loved ones who are not going to be with them.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Many Syracuse football players, who have already sat out 3 practices may opt out of the 2020 season as early as today, They have concerns about the long term effects of the virus, and they aren't sure if there is even going to be a season anyway. While this doesn't sound too meaningful, the "Rumor" online are that Syracuse, Pittsburg and Boston College may be facing large scale opt-outs as well. If true, that could throw a small wrench in the ACC's plans for the season. I was a little hesitant to even post this, as I said before, it's only a "rumor" at this stage. We've had enough rumors in the past few days to last for a year.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm Many Syracuse football players, who have already sat out 3 practices may opt out of the 2020 season as early as today, They have concerns about the long term effects of the virus, and they aren't sure if there is even going to be a season anyway. While this doesn't sound too meaningful, the "Rumor" online are that Syracuse, Pittsburg and Boston College may be facing large scale opt-outs as well. If true, that could throw a small wrench in the ACC's plans for the season. I was a little hesitant to even post this, as I said before, it's only a "rumor" at this stage. We've had enough rumors in the past few days to last for a year.

I thought I read somewhere where the ACC was going to announce by next week if they were going to continue on ?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 pm
VetteMan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm Many Syracuse football players, who have already sat out 3 practices may opt out of the 2020 season as early as today, They have concerns about the long term effects of the virus, and they aren't sure if there is even going to be a season anyway. While this doesn't sound too meaningful, the "Rumor" online are that Syracuse, Pittsburg and Boston College may be facing large scale opt-outs as well. If true, that could throw a small wrench in the ACC's plans for the season. I was a little hesitant to even post this, as I said before, it's only a "rumor" at this stage. We've had enough rumors in the past few days to last for a year.

I thought I read somewhere where the ACC was going to announce by next week if they were going to continue on ?
I thought that I read something similar also about the ACC, but then you turn around and read where they are so united with the Big 12 and the SEC, in how determined the three of those conferences are in playing football this fall.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 pm

I thought that I read something similar also about the ACC, but then you turn around and read where they are so united with the Big 12 and the SEC, in how determined the three of those conferences are in playing football this fall.

Something happened on SEC coaches phone Call today. Didn’t read the story just the headline.

NCAA canceled all fall championships. So how could there be a national championship game???

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Something happened on SEC coaches phone Call today. Didn’t read the story just the headline.

NCAA canceled all fall championships. So how could there be a national championship game???
The CFP is not run by the NCAA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/College ... ll_Playoff

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:16 pm
countywide35 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 pm

The CFP is not run by the NCAA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/College ... ll_Playoff

Thanks....guess I Knew that but was a little suprised to see it still go on like that....meaning there would be a national title crowned with not all power 5 schools involved.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Two ACC Schools have expressed concerns over Liberty's Covid-19 testing protocols ahead of their nonconference football games against the Flames this fall. Liberty's coach Hugh Freeze said the program hasn't registered a positive coronavirus test in three weeks. However, the reason stems from the Flames choosing to not test players for two weeks since they passed screenings for Covid-19 symptoms. Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack said that Freeze's comments were "deeply troubling." Perfect solution John, since you are the AD, schedule someone more your size rather than poor little Liberty. I've often wondered when Hugh Freeze would surface again, after leaving Ole Miss with a lot of dark clouds hanging overhead. Freeze had quite a few recruiting problems when he was the Head Coach of the Rebels, as well as some personal problems.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It took the University of North Carolina about one week for their plans to collapse. After a spate of Covid-19 infection clusters during the first week of classes, the University will shift all undergraduate instruction to remote learning Wednesday, and continue efforts to greatly reduce residence hall occupancy. The ACC may now have to defend having their teams play, while one of their campuses is effectively shutdown. I'm guessing that if you can successfully defend having tutors, do your student athletes assignments, then the defense of playing with a campus shutdown will be child's play. Could a University really think that in-class instruction is the main source of transmission, if students are still on campus living in dorms and wherever?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As a quasi-ACC member, Notre Dame can now join University Of North Carolina from yesterday. Notre Dame has decided to cancel all in-person classes and are moving them online for at least two weeks after seeing a spike in coronavirus cases, On Monday, one week after classes began, 80 students tested positive out of 418 or 19% of the students tested. The rash of cases have been linked to at least two off campus parties, and the majority of the students testing positive are senior undergraduates, mostly male. In remarks he was slated to deliver Tuesday afternoon, Notre Dame President Rev John Jenkins is announcing that if the number of cases continue to climb, he could order students to leave campus and return home. He may decide to take that step before the two week period is over. They are labeling a two week shutdown, but given that the outbreaks were due to parties, I'm not sure what exactly they think the students are going to do during those two weeks. So it seems as if this is almost certainly the end for the on-campus semester.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

University of North Carolina has just announced that they are cancelling all football activities for at least 24 hours because of the outbreak. UNC is immediately suspending all athletic activities until at least 5 PM Thursday. It makes you wonder even though it's for only 24 hours, if they are delaying everything until they can make a decision on either cancellation or postponement.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:17 pm University of North Carolina has just announced that they are cancelling all football activities for at least 24 hours because of the outbreak. UNC is immediately suspending all athletic activities until at least 5 PM Thursday. It makes you wonder even though it's for only 24 hours, if they are delaying everything until they can make a decision on either cancellation or postponement.

UNC snd Notre dame both being ACC coukd this trickle to be conference wide ???

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just recently came across an article that contains comments from a Genetic Heart Cardiologist from the Mayo Clinic. One article relates to his comments made to the Big 12 conference, who by the way called on the Doctor to consult with them before making a decision that is very interesting reading. One thing he addresses is the issue of the possible heart condition related to Covid-19. He states that most who come down with this condition have a prior or present heart condition. As we already know as of today, the Big 12 is still planning on going ahead with their 2020 fall football season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Notre Dame, after seeing another spike in coronavirus cases on it's campus this week, the Irish is putting football practice on hold. AD Jack Swarbrick said that the football team had suspended practice for Wednesday and possibly Thursday as well. The decision comes as the University deals with a suddenly spiking Covid-19 case count. By Notre Dames own reported count, the school has seen 222 positive cases on it's campus since August 3rd. The school saw 155 positive cases out of 775 tests on Monday and Tuesday.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:39 am Just recently came across an article that contains comments from a Genetic Heart Cardiologist from the Mayo Clinic. One article relates to his comments made to the Big 12 conference, who by the way called on the Doctor to consult with them before making a decision that is very interesting reading. One thing he addresses is the issue of the possible heart condition related to Covid-19. He states that most who come down with this condition have a prior or present heart condition. As we already know as of today, the Big 12 is still planning on going ahead with their 2020 fall football season.
GA State QB has covid-19 related heart disease:

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

A D2 school has cancelled sports for two years.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... st-2-years

Return to “College Sports”