OVC & SOC Merge Talk

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Portsmouth in S.O.C.?

Post by greygoose »

captain ensano wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:13 am Can anyone explain to me why Portsmouth isn't in the SOC? i believe they are a D2 school like Waverly, right? Just kinda wondered why they were in another conference?
D2??? Waverly is DIV, Portsmouth is on the cusp of being a DVI but currently DV. I believe Portsmouth tried to get into the SOC many years ago but certain teams turned them down and had no interest. Portsmouth has fallen a ton since then but I don’t know that it was ever revisited, so OVC it is. They should be in the SOC as part of a realignment

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Portsmouth not being in the SOC is silly. But from my understanding they rubbed several of the SOC schools the wrong way back in the day. I’ve heard it was basically we are too big and too good for your conference. Then of course Football didn’t make the playoff for 10+ years. So if this is true then Portsmouth is at fault. But fast forward all these years later I’d think it’s time for those SOC schools to stop being bitter and let Portsmouth in. They play West & Valley every year as is. That used to be and should be the case with Burg. They just played Waverly this past season, and have scrimmaged several years. Lost to Northwest In the playoffs a few years ago, have played Minford a lot. Logistically it makes sense as well. Portsmouth would at most be fighting for 2nd or 3rd in the SOC…but that’s also been in the case in the OVC as well. Good gate for most games, short travel, competition level is a good fit, hopefully the Trojans recent success will continue. So to me it makes sense for both sides. Will we see it? I think so eventually, but I don’t think it’s anytime in the near future.

Who Dey!
osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I would ask the AD’s at each school? There was a meeting that Ironton and Portsmouth was on the table and they voted no on both of them.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Portsmouth should definitely be in the SOC. SOC needs to try to add a few more teams and make 3 divisions.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

[media][/media]

Call Ironton. I’d guarantee they would entertain the move to the SOC. I don’t think Wheelersburg would want them in though.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

XandOs wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:03 pm [media][/media]

Call Ironton. I’d guarantee they would entertain the move to the SOC. I don’t think Wheelersburg would want them in though.
SOC 1
Green
East
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Manchester (football only)

SOC II
Burg
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth
Waverly
West

SOC III
Valley
Minford
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley
Beaver Eastern

Will never happen but makes a lot of sense.*

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Yeah the burgs obviously ducking them😂

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

JTEK wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Not about ducking them. About losing their gold footballs.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

XandOs wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:39 pm
JTEK wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Not about ducking them. About losing their gold footballs.
Burg wouldn’t have a problem with adding Ironton or other schools. It the SOC bylaws that allow the smaller schools to stop moves like this. For example, Webster doesn’t want Ironton or Portsmouth in because it’d get them moved out of SOC II for basketball. Other schools in similar situations would likewise vote against these additions and it’s why it’ll never happen.*

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I’ve never understood the SOC structure. Why would Wheelersburg and Waverly allow Portsmouth East and Ironton St. Joe who can and cannot be in their league? Why not just have two totally separate leagues? What is the benefit of operating under one umbrella when you function as two leagues anyways?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I, like many of us, dream of Ironton, Wheelersburg, Waverly, Portsmouth all in one league. Ironton would take it on the chin in many sports, but it would be great overall.

Pipe dream though, doubt it could ever happen.

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

So, basically its the SOC schools athletic directors decision by vote if they want to let Portsmouth, Ironton and whoever else would want in? I wonder how often they can apply or petition to join?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

captain ensano wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:01 pm So, basically its the SOC schools athletic directors decision by vote if they want to let Portsmouth, Ironton and whoever else would want in? I wonder how often they can apply or petition to join?
That my understanding that each school’s AD votes at meetings. I’ve heard that any SOC expansion has to be approved by a unanimous vote. Not sure if true, but if so, Portsmouth and Ironton will never be voted in.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Portsmouth makes sense but not Ironton. For that matter, Waverly doesn’t either

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It's silly portsmouth isn't in the league. There are some that'll play the race card and accuse the league of racism. It's probably a combination of all the things previously mentioned: old grudges, competition, etc....Ironton will never get a serious look. You can take that to the bank!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:34 am Portsmouth not being in the SOC is silly. But from my understanding they rubbed several of the SOC schools the wrong way back in the day. I’ve heard it was basically we are too big and too good for your conference. Then of course Football didn’t make the playoff for 10+ years. So if this is true then Portsmouth is at fault. But fast forward all these years later I’d think it’s time for those SOC schools to stop being bitter and let Portsmouth in. They play West & Valley every year as is. That used to be and should be the case with Burg. They just played Waverly this past season, and have scrimmaged several years. Lost to Northwest In the playoffs a few years ago, have played Minford a lot. Logistically it makes sense as well. Portsmouth would at most be fighting for 2nd or 3rd in the SOC…but that’s also been in the case in the OVC as well. Good gate for most games, short travel, competition level is a good fit, hopefully the Trojans recent success will continue. So to me it makes sense for both sides. Will we see it? I think so eventually, but I don’t think it’s anytime in the near future.
Good explanation, this is my understanding on the situation as well, then when it came time for when Portsmouth needed a place to go basically the SOC basically said have fun.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:09 pm Portsmouth makes sense but not Ironton. For that matter, Waverly doesn’t either
I know some people like to go on here and have major conference realignments when most aren't doable at all. However, I've been thinking for a while now going off what you stated that Portsmouth should join the SOC in place of Waverly who location and size wise, should join the FAC along with possibly Unioto for the same reasons.

Again, I'm sure that wouldn't happen but if a move were to be made that's realistic, this seems like the one.

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

So that makes me wonder why Piketon has never joined the SOC? I think they, along with Portsmouth would be a good fit. I think if a school's A.D. votes no on a school joining the league, they should have to give a reason why they voted that way. Portsmouth would benefit any area school gate wise by bringing them in for football or basketball at that.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

captain ensano wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:09 am So that makes me wonder why Piketon has never joined the SOC? I think they, along with Portsmouth would be a good fit. I think if a school's A.D. votes no on a school joining the league, they should have to give a reason why they voted that way. Portsmouth would benefit any area school gate wise by bringing them in for football or basketball at that.
Would like to see Piketon also. They wouldn't have to travel as much.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

FIDO wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:28 pm It's silly portsmouth isn't in the league. There are some that'll play the race card and accuse the league of racism. It's probably a combination of all the things previously mentioned: old grudges, competition, etc....Ironton will never get a serious look. You can take that to the bank!!
Why would Ironton not get a serious look? Very curious.

Return to “Football”