OVC & SOC Merge Talk

goUK
Varsity

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by goUK »

OVCFan1 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:01 am Jackson and Oak Hill seem to be the best fit for a large division and small division with River Valley and Symmes Valley and strong second or a possible 4 team add. Jackson would take over Gallia as the biggest if they came in to the League.
Current league Member Enrollments:
Gallia - 223 boys; 195 girls
Fairland - 185; 197
Ironton - 183; 176
Portsmouth - 171; 158
Chesapeake - 164; 160
South Point - 163; 164
Rock Hill - 148; 160
Coal Grove - 131; 138

Jackson - 277; 260
Oak Hill - 147; 137
Symmes Valley - 94; 89
River Valley - 196; 185

OVC-I
Gallia
Fairland
Ironton
Portsmouth
Jackson**
River Valley**

OVC-II
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
Oak Hill**
Symmes Valley**

OVC-I
Gallia
Fairland
Ironton
Jackson**

OVC-II
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
Portsmouth
Oak Hill**

Just one conference in all sports except football.

I really doubt symmes valley(too small) and river valley(TVC has to be better travel) would be interested

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I think you can go ahead and take Jackson out of the equation unless they feel other teams are in jeopardy of leaving the FAC then Jackson would want to make a move. Symmes Valley is only a good option based on location their size I believe would keep them from wanting to do that. I'm sure Oak Hill would like to make a move

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I can't see Jackson or symmes joining the ovc

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 pm I think you can go ahead and take Jackson out of the equation unless they feel other teams are in jeopardy of leaving the FAC then Jackson would want to make a move. Symmes Valley is only a good option based on location their size I believe would keep them from wanting to do that. I'm sure Oak Hill would like to make a move

What makes you think Oak Hill would like to make a move? SOC is more than likely moving to 3 divisions that will even out the playing field a bit. Shoot, maybe OVC teams should look into moving to the SOC , JS.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

As far as what Gallia should do, they should try to join the TVC with Oak Hill.

As far as the OVC, go after Wellston, Oak Hill, and River Valley.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

As much as I'd love to see GA and Jackson play every year, the difference in enrollment between the two largest hypothetical members in this scenario, Jackson and GA is almost identical to the difference in enrollment between GA and the second smallest current league member, Rock Hill

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:15 pm
greygoose wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 pm I think you can go ahead and take Jackson out of the equation unless they feel other teams are in jeopardy of leaving the FAC then Jackson would want to make a move. Symmes Valley is only a good option based on location their size I believe would keep them from wanting to do that. I'm sure Oak Hill would like to make a move

What makes you think Oak Hill would like to make a move? SOC is more than likely moving to 3 divisions that will even out the playing field a bit. Shoot, maybe OVC teams should look into moving to the SOC , JS.
SOC is more than likely moving to 3 divisions?? Source? Highly unlikely

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

NERD ALERT!!!
After using a system of 5 points for every 50 boys in enrollment, 4 points for every playoff win in the last 5 years and 3 points for every winning season in the last 5 years here is my breakdown of a possible OVC Expansion.

OVC 1
Ironton
Gallia
Falrland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

OVC2
Rock Hill
South Point
Symmes Valley
Peake
Oak Hill

Fair and balanced divisions and for those who question Grove in OVC 1, in the last five years the Grove has beaten 3 of the 4 teams with one year beating all 4 teams. In the OVC anything can happen.

Also .500 is not a winning record so there for does not count for points.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

What is the status of Northwest as far as football goes in the SOC? Are they being forced to make that move back to SOC II soon?
If so then I could possibly see them interested in parting ways and joining the OVC.. playing a football schedule consisting of South Point, Chesapeake, Rock Hill etc as opposed to Burg, Waverly, West, Minford..
The gates would not be as large at home games from visiting Lawrence Co teams as you would get from SOC II, but the success rate could increase.
Last edited by Moses Guthrie on Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

2trap_4ever wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:51 am NERD ALERT!!!
After using a system of 5 points for every 50 boys in enrollment, 4 points for every playoff win in the last 5 years and 3 points for every winning season in the last 5 years here is my breakdown of a possible OVC Expansion.

OVC 1
Ironton
Gallia
Falrland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

OVC2
Rock Hill
South Point
Symmes Valley
Peake
Oak Hill

Fair and balanced divisions and for those who question Grove in OVC 1, in the last five years the Grove has beaten 3 of the 4 teams with one year beating all 4 teams. In the OVC anything can happen.

Nice work!!!!

In basketball, Coal Grove would need to switch with SP and Ches. Northwest is also a good option as someone just posted.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

OVC 1
Ironton
Gallia
Falrland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

OVC2
Rock Hill
South Point
Symmes Valley
Peake
Oak Hill

This makes the most sense to me too. When going off of how competitive the schools have been. Numbers are a different story, I think SP or Peake would replace CG strictly from a numbers standpoint. That said numbers clearly don’t matter all that much. Are these in order via your points system? Just curious who would’ve been next in this scenario if not CG?

Who Dey!
2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

PTrojan59 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:45 pm

OVC 1
Ironton
Gallia
Falrland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

OVC2
Rock Hill
South Point
Symmes Valley
Peake
Oak Hill

This makes the most sense to me too. When going off of how competitive the schools have been. Numbers are a different story, I think SP or Peake would replace CG strictly from a numbers standpoint. That said numbers clearly don’t matter all that much. Are these in order via your points system? Just curious who would’ve been next in this scenario if not CG?
Actually Portsmouth was fourth. Out of curiosity I did one more team and if OVC got Wellston over Oak Hill then Portsmouth would move down.

Mulga Roadrunner
Waterboy

Post by Mulga Roadrunner »

2trap_4ever wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:43 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:45 pm

OVC 1
Ironton
Gallia
Falrland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

OVC2
Rock Hill
South Point
Symmes Valley
Peake
Oak Hill

Actually Portsmouth was fourth. Out of curiosity I did one more team and if OVC got Wellston over Oak Hill then Portsmouth would move down.
As a Wellston guy, I’d like to see

Wellston
Oak hill
River valley
Gallia
Minford
Rock hill

I think that would be solid.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Here’s a great OVC
SP
CH
RH
F
CG
One division

I
Port
G
Jackson
Oak Hill

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Hear Jackson is interested

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It would be foolish for Jackson to look at any league that is in SEO at this time. Seems to me Jackson would only be interested in a new league if any. To me Jackson would only go with a conference where every team has the chance of making the playoffs. Some might think they could go with a couple of winning teams from each conference, but that could possibly run into travel problems. SEO needs a conference where schools compete for championships in all their sports.

Jackson, Wheelersburg, Ironton, Unioto, Miami Trace, Athens, Washington, Circleville, All of these schools have the size to compete with each other in all sports.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:59 pm It would be foolish for Jackson to look at any league that is in SEO at this time. Seems to me Jackson would only be interested in a new league if any. To me Jackson would only go with a conference where every team has the chance of making the playoffs. Some might think they could go with a couple of winning teams from each conference, but that could possibly run into travel problems. SEO needs a conference where schools compete for championships in all their sports.

Jackson, Wheelersburg, Ironton, Unioto, Miami Trace, Athens, Washington, Circleville, All of these schools have the size to compete with each other in all sports.
What would Irontons travel times be in the FAC?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

goUK wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:27 pm
noreply66 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:59 pm It would be foolish for Jackson to look at any league that is in SEO at this time. Seems to me Jackson would only be interested in a new league if any. To me Jackson would only go with a conference where every team has the chance of making the playoffs. Some might think they could go with a couple of winning teams from each conference, but that could possibly run into travel problems. SEO needs a conference where schools compete for championships in all their sports.

What would Irontons travel times be in the FAC?
According to Google, it would take an 1:47 minutes to get to Miami Trace. (Farthest FAC trip)

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Do you really think Ironton parents want to send their kids in Volleyball, Basketball, Track, CC, Softball, Baseball or any other extra curricular activity to Chillicothe or Circcleville or Washington Courthouse? Come on man!! The would have a revolt on their hands (and rightfully so) sending their kids on a bus close to 2 hours away on school nights, and sometimes on multiple nights a week? Everyone needs to get a grasp on reality that it's not only about Football which is played on Friday nights (and even that is just the Varsity; you still have JV and Freshman games and then you have Junior High to contend with). So much has to be put into the equation when weighing out the pros and cons of these issues. Hope your not an AD!

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

I could see Symmes Valley joining the OVC and Oak Hill being interested in it.
Question is is only Ohio teams going to be considered if not Raceland and or Russell would be great options to join the OVC.
I know Kentucky has district games than has to be played but both teams only play 3 district games a piece and that would allow them to play 7 other games.
Another option would be Ashland and Jackson the question would be will Ashland agree to play Ironton again if so it would be interesting in seeing a conference that looked like this.

Tier 1
Ironton
Ashland
Russell
Jackson
Fairland
Gallia

Tier 2
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Rock Hill
Oak hill
Symmes Valley
Raceland

One would have 6 teams and one would have 7 teams.
But overall it would be a pretty decent conference in all sports and travel would be on not great but ok.

Return to “Football”