Re: Coaching Openings

Post by Whs95fan »

Looks like the Bloom Carroll job just opened up

Go Blue
Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

Should be an interesting couple of weeks coming up……

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Who are the applicants and/or who has expressed interest in Green? I've heard a few names, but I am not going to post them because it's all just gas station talk.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

TrueWinner wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 am When are some of these schools going to start letting in some new blood? There are so many great young coaches out there dying for a shot to lead these young men but these schools keep cycling in all these same old heads(respectfully) who aren’t connecting with these kids. The game is changing and high school athletics in southern Ohio are falling far behind. These kids need new innovative coaches who can teach the game in a relatable way. I hope some of these young minds get opportunities in some open positions that will pop up over the next couple months.

You might be a young coach that got passed on a job, idk, but there is some truth to what you are saying. Too many times you see 40+ year old coaches with 15% winning percentages that schools will hire just because they "have varsity coaching experience". They come in and think they can coach the kids like their coaches did in the 90s. I'm the coach so it is my way or the high way attitude. They set a bunch of bogus team rules to try to show they are the boss and treat the kids like garbage. Then they get 10 kids to come out and wonder why nobody wants to play for them. That style of coaching works when you are winning games and have 25 kids coming out to play. It doesn't work when you have won 10 games in your 7 seasons as a head coach. Get rid of these guys and let some of these young aspiring coaches take these teams that haven't had much success and see if they can motivate some kids to play hard for them.

AdamCocksX
Waterboy

Post by AdamCocksX »

Vike73 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:19 am Who are the applicants and/or who has expressed interest in Green? I've heard a few names, but I am not going to post them because it's all just gas station talk.
Everyone knows Barrick is being hired.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pantherfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 pm
TrueWinner wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 am When are some of these schools going to start letting in some new blood? There are so many great young coaches out there dying for a shot to lead these young men but these schools keep cycling in all these same old heads(respectfully) who aren’t connecting with these kids. The game is changing and high school athletics in southern Ohio are falling far behind. These kids need new innovative coaches who can teach the game in a relatable way. I hope some of these young minds get opportunities in some open positions that will pop up over the next couple months.

You might be a young coach that got passed on a job, idk, but there is some truth to what you are saying. Too many times you see 40+ year old coaches with 15% winning percentages that schools will hire just because they "have varsity coaching experience". They come in and think they can coach the kids like their coaches did in the 90s. I'm the coach so it is my way or the high way attitude. They set a bunch of bogus team rules to try to show they are the boss and treat the kids like garbage. Then they get 10 kids to come out and wonder why nobody wants to play for them. That style of coaching works when you are winning games and have 25 kids coming out to play. It doesn't work when you have won 10 games in your 7 seasons as a head coach. Get rid of these guys and let some of these young aspiring coaches take these teams that haven't had much success and see if they can motivate some kids to play hard for them.
What 40 year old with a 15% winning % is coaching anywhere?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

. Really? How about hiring coaches with a solid, winning resume. The hell with the age. That’s a complete, stupid assessment to hire anyone because of their age. That’s why many schools won’t hire the right person to kick start a program ! Experience and winning usually works !

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:37 pm

They are out there. They get hired to coach teams that aren't winning very many games and have bad programs. The schools hire them because they have experience coaching varsity and they don't get any other "qualified" applicants. They take the jobs, lose almost every game and then blame it on the players not working hard, or not getting enough kids out in the summer or anything else that doesn't point the finger at them. Instead of focusing on building the team from the biddy ball level up and trying to build relationships with the players to get them to come out and work hard for them, they just blame the players and bad parents for their losses for a few seasons and then move on to the next job.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I don't comment on many things on here as a head coach myself but from personal experience the best thing a school can do is give someone adequate time to build a program. A new coach has to put their system in place from the varsity level all the way down to the basic intro levels of their youth program. Many schools with no established basketball success aren't established at the lower levels either, fixing that takes time and building relationships within the district. You have to get people in place that you trust. Factor in the work you have to put in with your older kids to get them better from an individual and team standpoint as well. Unless you step into a established program or just have a lot of talent at hand this stuff doesn't happen overnight and isn't sustainable through short cuts. If a school gives someone enough time to build it and show results good things can happen. Most of the schools that this forum covers are smaller, rural districts. I measure success from a program standpoint as being highly competitive on a yearly basis and being in a position to win consistently even when the talent level dips or your team happens to be young. To me that means your program is sustainable. Schools need to give guys more time unless they do things that prove they don't deserve it. I think sometimes a guy with a poor record may have that record because he wasn't given enough time to build his program. Fortunately for me we were able to have early success in terms of competitiveness and wins and losses and we've been able to put something sustainable in place. Good luck to anyone trying to break into the head coaching ranks, it's a lot of work but its fun, rewarding and worth the commitment.

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:15 pm I don't comment on many things on here as a head coach myself but from personal experience the best thing a school can do is give someone adequate time to build a program. A new coach has to put their system in place from the varsity level all the way down to the basic intro levels of their youth program. Many schools with no established basketball success aren't established at the lower levels either, fixing that takes time and building relationships within the district. You have to get people in place that you trust. Factor in the work you have to put in with your older kids to get them better from an individual and team standpoint as well. Unless you step into a established program or just have a lot of talent at hand this stuff doesn't happen overnight and isn't sustainable through short cuts. If a school gives someone enough time to build it and show results good things can happen. Most of the schools that this forum covers are smaller, rural districts. I measure success from a program standpoint as being highly competitive on a yearly basis and being in a position to win consistently even when the talent level dips or your team happens to be young. To me that means your program is sustainable. Schools need to give guys more time unless they do things that prove they don't deserve it. I think sometimes a guy with a poor record may have that record because he wasn't given enough time to build his program. Fortunately for me we were able to have early success in terms of competitiveness and wins and losses and we've been able to put something sustainable in place. Good luck to anyone trying to break into the head coaching ranks, it's a lot of work but its fun, rewarding and worth the commitment.
Well I tell you Howie won everywhere he ever coached beginning in year 1. But he is a rare type of coach that comes around once in a schools history. If you want someone that can win immediately you need to find someone just like him but good luck because he may be one of a kind. And that's my boy.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

Pantherfan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:04 am

They are out there. They get hired to coach teams that aren't winning very many games and have bad programs. The schools hire them because they have experience coaching varsity and they don't get any other "qualified" applicants. They take the jobs, lose almost every game and then blame it on the players not working hard, or not getting enough kids out in the summer or anything else that doesn't point the finger at them. Instead of focusing on building the team from the biddy ball level up and trying to build relationships with the players to get them to come out and work hard for them, they just blame the players and bad parents for their losses for a few seasons and then move on to the next job.

I agree it starts at the Biddy Ball level but also the administration has to be on board with what they are trying to accomplish. Whoever is in charge of the biddy ball programs have to work together with the administration and the coach, but most administrations want no part in that. Therefore, it is a uphill battle between the coach and biddy ball president. Also, quit having biddy ball practice on high school game nights. Hard for the kids to get excited and to come watch the games, if they are having practice while their high school is having a game. Once it starts at the lower level, then it should go to the junior high level. Varsity coaches should have a say so on who their Junior High coaches are. Do not exclude them from this decision. As far as summer ball, if your a small school coaches have to work together when you have the same athletes. Many of times coaches tend to sway their kids to only do this over the summer and schedule things so they can’t go to a summer shootout or anything like that. Work together to accomplish 1 goal and not only worry about 1 sport.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Sports Fan : Bingo. A few coaches support All sports. Many are selfish as HE@LL And most ain’t winning much of anything. Not what HS sports is about.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

See SW in between Coach K and Ater. Good times

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

Any word on Waverly's Coaching position?

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Here is my take on Waverly's position. I have not talked to Travis about this decision out of respect for him and his family. But I think it is a win win either way. If he decides to step down so he can follow trey in college and get to see Brae in high school you shake his hand and tell him thanks for all of the awesome memories. He and his family are Waverly legends and will be remembered fondly for years to come. If he decides to come back and coach his youngest son for three more years you are welcoming back the division 2 coach of the year. Doesn't get any better than that. Interesting choice. He has probably coached the best team he will ever coach and has probably coached the best player he has ever coached ( either Trey or Jake) However he is still young and there are plenty of kids out their that need positive role models as their coach,

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ukfanatic wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:50 am Here is my take on Waverly's position. I have not talked to Travis about this decision out of respect for him and his family. But I think it is a win win either way. If he decides to step down so he can follow trey in college and get to see Brae in high school you shake his hand and tell him thanks for all of the awesome memories. He and his family are Waverly legends and will be remembered fondly for years to come. If he decides to come back and coach his youngest son for three more years you are welcoming back the division 2 coach of the year. Doesn't get any better than that. Interesting choice. He has probably coached the best team he will ever coach and has probably coached the best player he has ever coached ( either Trey or Jake) However he is still young and there are plenty of kids out their that need positive role models as their coach,
This is the correct take.

Whatever Coach Robertson decides is best for him and his family is what he should do. He’s done so much for Waverly, not just in the court but in the community as well that he should be allowed to make that decision.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:50 am Here is my take on Waverly's position. I have not talked to Travis about this decision out of respect for him and his family. But I think it is a win win either way. If he decides to step down so he can follow trey in college and get to see Brae in high school you shake his hand and tell him thanks for all of the awesome memories. He and his family are Waverly legends and will be remembered fondly for years to come. If he decides to come back and coach his youngest son for three more years you are welcoming back the division 2 coach of the year. Doesn't get any better than that. Interesting choice. He has probably coached the best team he will ever coach and has probably coached the best player he has ever coached ( either Trey or Jake) However he is still young and there are plenty of kids out their that need positive role models as their coach,
Yeah but with all the rumblings it's not just is he going to step down and watch Brae play at Waverly. The rumblings are is going to to step down in order to coach Brae at another school a school that offered him a couple years back but Trey said no not interested in changing schools. We'll see what happens but for sure the run he had with these seniors has been a beautiful thing to watch good luck in whatever he chooses.

Closeouts23
Waterboy

Post by Closeouts23 »

Harambe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:08 pm Any word on Waverly's Coaching position?
Anyone on the current coach staff that would want it? Or anyone in the school system? I can see Waverly getting a lot of high profile candidates just because of facilities a lone.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Closeouts23 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:16 am
Harambe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:08 pm Any word on Waverly's Coaching position?
Anyone on the current coach staff that would want it? Or anyone in the school system? I can see Waverly getting a lot of high profile candidates just because of facilities a lone.
They're going to pursue outside resources at first.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

I guess I'm confused as to why he would want to leave, isn't he a principal in the Waverly district?

Go Blue

Return to “Boys Basketball”