Portsmouth 34 - 36 Gallia Academy 2022

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: WK5 PORTSMOUTH VS GALLIA ACADEMY

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

sportsnutscioto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:08 am
gobengals wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:40 am
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 pm I’ll start off by saying the QB for Gallia is really tough. Felt like I was watching Big Ben, kid was relentless. The Trojans fought hard, but a few things prevented them from winning. Read through this post and you can see the refs played a factor in the outcome, think I even seen a Gallia fan say something. Probably the worst officiated game I have been to. I could point out probably 5 calls that were wrong. Not me saying so because I’m a Portsmouth fan but legit wrong calls. 15 minutes on that touchback call just to still get it wrong lol But that’s not the entire reason Portsmouth lost. Didn’t care for the play call on the 2pt conversion, would’ve like to have seen Duncan keep it. The squib kick wasn’t a good call. Roth has done it numerous times and it’s worked, the Gallia kid just blocked it, but I don’t like the call. I’ll end it with Nolan Heiland is a stud. Give that kid the ball as much as possible. Good luck to GA the rest of the way.
The touchback call was correct. You just don’t know the rule. A punt that crosses the goal line without any player possessing the ball is a touchback. It doesn’t matter who touches the ball before it crosses the goal line. Possession of the ball is the thing that matters and no player of either team possessed the ball before it crossed the goal line. Anything that happens after the ball crosses the goal line is irrelevant. The only mistake made by the refs on that play was not to blow the play dead when the ball crossed the goal line. They added 10 seconds back to the clock to correct that mistake. The Portsmouth coach asked the refs to show him the rule in the rule book and they did. That’s what took so much time.
So receiving team (R) touches kickoff on the five yard line or wherever it was and fumbled around trying to pick up the ball and kicks it into the end zone. Ensuing kicking team(K) then makes it down to get a touch on the ball in the end zone where the (k) team recovers it on the two yard line, that’s a touchback? I don’t agree and I don’t know the rule book agrees.
Facts

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:28 am
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 pm I’ll start off by saying the QB for Gallia is really tough. Felt like I was watching Big Ben, kid was relentless. The Trojans fought hard, but a few things prevented them from winning. Read through this post and you can see the refs played a factor in the outcome, think I even seen a Gallia fan say something. Probably the worst officiated game I have been to. I could point out probably 5 calls that were wrong. Not me saying so because I’m a Portsmouth fan but legit wrong calls. 15 minutes on that touchback call just to still get it wrong lol But that’s not the entire reason Portsmouth lost. Didn’t care for the play call on the 2pt conversion, would’ve like to have seen Duncan keep it. The squib kick wasn’t a good call. Roth has done it numerous times and it’s worked, the Gallia kid just blocked it, but I don’t like the call. I’ll end it with Nolan Heiland is a stud. Give that kid the ball as much as possible. Good luck to GA the rest of the way.
The touchback call was correct. You just don’t know the rule. A punt that crosses the goal line without any player possessing the ball is a touchback. It doesn’t matter who touches the ball before it crosses the goal line. Possession of the ball is the thing that matters and no player of either team possessed the ball before it crossed the goal line. Anything that happens after the ball crosses the goal line is irrelevant. The only mistake made by the refs on that play was not to blow the play dead when the ball crossed the goal line. They added 10 seconds back to the clock to correct that mistake. The Portsmouth coach asked the refs to show him the rule in the rule book and they did. That’s what took so much time.
Nah I know the rules and just watched a replay of what happened, he picks up the ball at the 13 gets hit fumbles it and picks up the ball close to the 1 get hit and fumbles it forward out of the end zone back into the field of play where Portsmouth recovers. Horrendous call by a bunch of guys who shouldn’t be out there on Friday nights…maybe you were one?
I’d like to see a replay, where did you see it at?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Presenting 2 examples about 2 of the last 4 games:

Example 1: Portsmouth leads Spring Valley 31-28 with less than a minute to go after scoring the go-ahead TD. The Trojans kick the ball short, giving the Timberwolves the ball at their own 40. Short field to go for a tying FG or winning TD. The PHS defense was put in a position to defend a short field, which SV promptly used the short field to score the winning TD.

Example 2: Portsmouth leads Gallia Academy 34-33 with less than a minute to go after the Trojans scored the go-ahead TD. Once again, the Trojans opted to kick the ball short, and GAHS sets up at the 46, needing only a FG to win the game. Once again, the PHS defense was put on the defensive, with Gallia only having to go about 35 yards to set up the winning kick. GAHS wins the game with a 32 yard FG.

Point is with these 2 examples, the Trojans are now 0-2 when kicking the ball short and the game on the line. If either SV or GAHS had to go 20-25 yards longer with less than a minute to go, chances favor the PHS defense for being able to keep either team from scoring the winning points.

This was such a huge game for the Trojans' playoff hopes. Now, after losing 2 heartbreakers in the last 4 weeks, they're in a really difficult spot. Going to Coal Grove next week, I'm concerned about the spirit of the team. Will they be down after another tough loss? I'm hoping they can rebound.

Congratulations to Gallia Academy on the win, and keep your heads up Trojans. You deserved a better fate in both of the above games.

GO TROJANS!!

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

sportsnutscioto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:08 am
So receiving team (R) touches kickoff on the five yard line or wherever it was and fumbled around trying to pick up the ball and kicks it into the end zone. Ensuing kicking team(K) then makes it down to get a touch on the ball in the end zone where the (k) team recovers it on the two yard line, that’s a touchback? I don’t agree and I don’t know the rule book agrees.
As soon as the ball crosses the goal line and goes into the end zone, the play is dead. The covering official should have blown his whistle and killed the play at that moment. He didn’t. He let the play go on. Everything that happens AFTER it crosses the goal line and into the end zone is ignored. Including the recovery at the two yard line. That is the rule. Officials often get this wrong but this crew got it exactly correct. They even corrected the clock by adding 10 seconds because the clock kept running after the ball crossed the goal line.

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

Nah I know the rules and just watched a replay of what happened, he picks up the ball at the 13 gets hit fumbles it and picks up the ball close to the 1 get hit and fumbles it forward out of the end zone back into the field of play where Portsmouth recovers. Horrendous call by a bunch of guys who shouldn’t be out there on Friday nights…maybe you were one?
Yes I am an official. I didn’t have a game to officiate so I was in the stands watching. You are incorrect about one key fact. There was no fumble. In order to fumble, a player has to have possession. No player on either team had possession of the ball before it crossed the goal line. Several players “muffed” the ball (touched it, tried to possess it) but no player actually ever had possession. So when the ball crosses the goal line, without any player possessing it, the play is dead. All that action that happened AFTER the ball crossed the goal line is ignored. The covering official should have blown the play dead when it crossed the goal line. He didn’t. That was the only error made by this crew on that play. They even corrected that error by adding time back to the clock. Many crews would miss this call but this crew got it exactly correct in my opinion.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

gobengals wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:50 pm

Yes I am an official. I didn’t have a game to officiate so I was in the stands watching. You are incorrect about one key fact. There was no fumble. In order to fumble, a player has to have possession. No player on either team had possession of the ball before it crossed the goal line. Several players “muffed” the ball (touched it, tried to possess it) but no player actually ever had possession. So when the ball crosses the goal line, without any player possessing it, the play is dead. All that action that happened AFTER the ball crossed the goal line is ignored. The covering official should have blown the play dead when it crossed the goal line. He didn’t. That was the only error made by this crew on that play. They even corrected that error by adding time back to the clock. Many crews would miss this call but this crew got it exactly correct in my opinion.
I respect your opinion, as a ref I’m sure you do know more than I know. From my vantage point 9 for GA clearly picks up the ball long enough to possess it. Gets hit and then fumbles it. This happens at the 13, he then picks it back up around the 1, it was close to the end zone maybe he was in I can’t tell but then fumbles it back out. Very bang bang type of play. I watched a replay and still stand by my thoughts on what happened, so we will agree to disagree lol. That said as I stated regardless of this call or any other call Portsmouth made a few mistakes that hurt themselves, Refs didn’t make them squib kick or run the play they ran on the 2pt.

Who Dey!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

As an official I'd like to know if you seen the obvious block in the back that lead to one of gallia touchdown?

Or the fumble that was gave to Gallia when Portsmouth QB was obviously down and only fumble after he was down trying to get up?

And I also thought gallia got across the goal line on the two point conversion attempt.

I will also say the refs didn't cost the Trojan this game, even after all the horrible officiating,yes bad for both teams unfortunately for the trojan most was crucial calls.

But that isn't what beat us ,like trojandave posted above ,take the lead in two huge games with under a minute left,short kick gives good field position and we lose.

Even a former coach for Portsmouth said on the radio he didn't agree with the squid kick,even if he was trying to get it over the first line and hit the up man still don't agree,our special teams has been really good all year and they was excellent last night , let them do there thing , gallia was having a hard time even handling the kick offs and punts already

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Squib kick has killed us. Waverly last year, spring valley and Gallia.fairland last year we kick it to the kid you never kick too. Trojans need a new special teams coach or whoever deals with special teams.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
sportsnutscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsnutscioto »

I guess there may be some question as to whether or not Gallia (R) had possession of the kick. Some might assume the lack of a whistle would in fact suggest the (R) team had possession of the kick when he fumbled it, dropped it, kicked it into the end zone and then recovered by the Portsmouth (K) on the 2yard line after it squirted out of the end zone. And the fact that the officials initially spotted the ball on the two yard line. The only people who thought that wasn’t a fumble was the ones who made the call.

Fumble call against Trojans and then no call down the stretch for Gallia was questionable. The block in the back that sent a Trojan player flying right in front of the official for a Gallia score. We all have a bad day at work, these guys just had a bad day on the field. It just stinks when it comes back to haunt a team. You hope the officials are off and it doesn’t affect either team. Friday night it did cost the Trojans some key possessions.

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

#9 had possession it sure looked like to me

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:25 pm Squib kick has killed us. Waverly last year, spring valley and Gallia.fairland last year we kick it to the kid you never kick too. Trojans need a new special teams coach or whoever deals with special teams.

So the special teams coach is making the decision on squib kicked ?

I would hope the head coach could over rule him even if so , but the head coach said on the call in show he decided to squib kick but the gallia kid made an awesome play,the kid would not have been able to make that awesome play if it was kicked deep.

Like I said our special teams played a great game,they have been good all year .

Our defense was put in a bad situation.

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:51 pm As an official I'd like to know if you seen the obvious block in the back that lead to one of gallia touchdown?

Or the fumble that was gave to Gallia when Portsmouth QB was obviously down and only fumble after he was down trying to get up?

And I also thought gallia got across the goal line on the two point conversion attempt.

I will also say the refs didn't cost the Trojan this game, even after all the horrible officiating,yes bad for both teams unfortunately for the trojan most was crucial calls.

But that isn't what beat us ,like trojandave posted above ,take the lead in two huge games with under a minute left,short kick gives good field position and we lose.

Even a former coach for Portsmouth said on the radio he didn't agree with the squid kick,even if he was trying to get it over the first line and hit the up man still don't agree,our special teams has been really good all year and they was excellent last night , let them do there thing , gallia was having a hard time even handling the kick offs and punts already
I did see the block you were referring to. From my perspective it was a block in the side, not the back. That is not illegal. However to me it was questionable if this might have been a blind side block. A BSB can be legal if the player leads with open hands. I could not tell if he lead with open hands or not. There were two officials that should have seen the block. Neither of them flagged it. I will defer to their judgment on this call.

I could not see if the Portsmouth QB was down on the fumble that Gallia recovered. The people with the best view on plays like this are the officials on the field. Again, I defer to their judgment.

On the two point conversion attempt, the covering official, the line judge on the home sideline, came running in to the middle of the field emphatically pointing to the ground. This is a strong indication that he saw a knee on the ground before the ball crossed the plane of the goal line. I was not looking down the goal line. I doubt that any other fans were either. Unless you did have a view straight down the goal line, there’s no way you or I can dispute the call. It’s the judgment of the covering official whether or not the ball crossed the goal line before the knee hit the ground. It could have been a bad call or it could have one of the best calls ever made in a football game. You can choose which one to believe.

Players make mistakes in games. Coaches make mistakes in games. Officials make mistakes in games. In this particular game if the players and coaches didn’t make the mistakes that they made, then the officials wouldn’t have been put in a position to make the judgment calls that they had to make. For example, on the punt that was ruled to be a touchback, if the Gallia player hadn’t muffed the punt (a mistake) then none of what happened afterwards would have happened. The officials wouldn’t have been put in a position to make the judgment call. I believe they made the correct call but it didn’t look good. The fans don’t generally understand the rules and often coaches unfortunately do not either. Of course it is the job of officials to make those calls. Most officials have the training and experience to do a decent job of using good judgment and correctly enforcing the rules. Based on what I observed at this game, these officials did a decent job. They may have made mistakes during the game but there has never been the perfectly officiated game in the history of football. And there never will be.

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

sportsnutscioto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:08 pm

I guess there may be some question as to whether or not Gallia (R) had possession of the kick. Some might assume the lack of a whistle would in fact suggest the (R) team had possession of the kick when he fumbled it, dropped it, kicked it into the end zone and then recovered by the Portsmouth (K) on the 2yard line after it squirted out of the end zone. And the fact that the officials initially spotted the ball on the two yard line. The only people who thought that wasn’t a fumble was the ones who made the call.

Fumble call against Trojans and then no call down the stretch for Gallia was questionable. The block in the back that sent a Trojan player flying right in front of the official for a Gallia score. We all have a bad day at work, these guys just had a bad day on the field. It just stinks when it comes back to haunt a team. You hope the officials are off and it doesn’t affect either team. Friday night it did cost the Trojans some key possessions.
I agree that the lack of a whistle suggests there was a fumble in the judgment of the covering official. If there had been a fumble and the ball later crossed the goal line, the play should not have been blown dead. And this is exactly what happened. To the fans it might appear that there was indeed a fumble. But the officials did exactly what they were supposed to do and held a conference to discuss it. When the white hat gave the touchback signal and then added 10 seconds to the clock, that told me that they decided that no player had possession of the ball before it crossed the goal line and the play was dead at that point. Possession of the ball, or lack thereof, was the critical element of this call. It makes a huge difference in the outcome of the play.

Unfortunately Portsmouth doesn’t have a microphone for the white hat. If they had one, I imagine he would have given an explanation of this call to the crowd.

I explained my view of the block in a separate post. To me it appeared to be a legal block in the side but could possibly have been an illegal blind side block.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

gobengals wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:51 pm As an official I'd like to know if you seen the obvious block in the back that lead to one of gallia touchdown?

I did see the block you were referring to. From my perspective it was a block in the side, not the back. That is not illegal. However to me it was questionable if this might have been a blind side block. A BSB can be legal if the player leads with open hands. I could not tell if he lead with open hands or not. There were two officials that should have seen the block. Neither of them flagged it. I will defer to their judgment on this call.

I could not see if the Portsmouth QB was down on the fumble that Gallia recovered. The people with the best view on plays like this are the officials on the field. Again, I defer to their judgment.

On the two point conversion attempt, the covering official, the line judge on the home sideline, came running in to the middle of the field emphatically pointing to the ground. This is a strong indication that he saw a knee on the ground before the ball crossed the plane of the goal line. I was not looking down the goal line. I doubt that any other fans were either. Unless you did have a view straight down the goal line, there’s no way you or I can dispute the call. It’s the judgment of the covering official whether or not the ball crossed the goal line before the knee hit the ground. It could have been a bad call or it could have one of the best calls ever made in a football game. You can choose which one to believe.

Players make mistakes in games. Coaches make mistakes in games. Officials make mistakes in games. In this particular game if the players and coaches didn’t make the mistakes that they made, then the officials wouldn’t have been put in a position to make the judgment calls that they had to make. For example, on the punt that was ruled to be a touchback, if the Gallia player hadn’t muffed the punt (a mistake) then none of what happened afterwards would have happened. The officials wouldn’t have been put in a position to make the judgment call. I believe they made the correct call but it didn’t look good. The fans don’t generally understand the rules and often coaches unfortunately do not either. Of course it is the job of officials to make those calls. Most officials have the training and experience to do a decent job of using good judgment and correctly enforcing the rules. Based on what I observed at this game, these officials did a decent job. They may have made mistakes during the game but there has never been the perfectly officiated game in the history of football. And there never will be.

Spoken like a true official lol.

I only ask because I set with a ref to that was on the sidelines recovering from a surgery and he agreed with a couple calls but definitely said the block in the back was missed ,the safety I will say after an explanation I guess it was possible, but why did every ref on the field have to go to the rulebook to get the ruling? You would think at least one of them would know what to call or if it was right.

I'm standing my ground on the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

But like I said ,still not what beat us.

Thanks for responding

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:40 am
gobengals wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Spoken like a true official lol.

I only ask because I set with a ref to that was on the sidelines recovering from a surgery and he agreed with a couple calls but definitely said the block in the back was missed ,the safety I will say after an explanation I guess it was possible, but why did every ref on the field have to go to the rulebook to get the ruling? You would think at least one of them would know what to call or if it was right.

I'm standing my ground on the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

But like I said ,still not what beat us.

Thanks for responding
Because the OHSAA requires the officiating crew to accommodate a head coaches request to show him the rule. Crews are required to have three officiating related books, including the rule book, available during the game just in case a head coach requests a conference.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Instead of blaming the officials, what could Portsmouth have done better to win the game?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

On to Friday and trying to stop chase hall. Put this one behind you , still have fairland and ironton to deal with. And a game Friday.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Super trooper wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 am Instead of blaming the officials, what could Portsmouth have done better to win the game?
Go back and read. Multiple people stated the Trojans hurt themselves aside from the terrible reffing…

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am
Super trooper wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 am Instead of blaming the officials, what could Portsmouth have done better to win the game?
Go back and read. Multiple people stated the Trojans hurt themselves aside from the terrible reffing…

Exactly,on every one of my post I said the refs is not what beat us , doesn't mean I can't have an opinion,still the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

And I'm old.

Return to “Football”