Waverly @ NW - Friday 12/9

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Waverly @ NW - Friday 12/9

Post by Omega »

Basketball:30 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:19 pm Who is Waverly's coach and coaching staff now?
Waverly's new head coach is Evan Callihan. His prior experience was as an assistant coach for 11 years for Circleville's woman's program. Absolutely no idea on his assistants.

https://littermedia.com/2022/05/waverly ... all-coach/

There is no secret the Waverly program will struggle in 2022-2023.

The Tiger push for the final 4 last season and subsequent talent loss to graduation simply left the program exhausted.

Tiger fans will need patience and and hope the new coach and roster can grow together.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Well, that was fun Northwest has a nice little team I could see them fighting with Burg for that 4/5 spot in the league, haven't seen West yet I just know it's the big 3 Minford, Valley, SW and everyone else. Waverly needs to find the right 5 to start as right now we're playing handicapped offensively with a couple guys they keep trotting out there. Not sure why we didn't go to a zone more and stop chasing NW around overall I thought defense wasn't terrible we simply got into trouble with turnovers, lack of rebounding and inability to score consistently with long droughts and only scoring 4 in the 3rd quarter. I'd rather see a more offensive minded lineup; it's not going to hurt the rebounding as we're not rebounding anyways, and they'll play quick defense. Minford travels to Waverly on Tuesday and then Waverly is on the road Friday night to take on South Webster, it's a tough schedule to start with for a team on the rebuild. Just have to keep plugging away hopefully we see some changes to the starting lineup soon or at least minutes distributed differently.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:05 am Well, that was fun Northwest has a nice little team I could see them fighting with Burg for that 4/5 spot in the league, haven't seen West yet I just know it's the big 3 Minford, Valley, SW and everyone else. Waverly needs to find the right 5 to start as right now we're playing handicapped offensively with a couple guys they keep trotting out there. Not sure why we didn't go to a zone more and stop chasing NW around overall I thought defense wasn't terrible we simply got into trouble with turnovers, lack of rebounding and inability to score consistently with long droughts and only scoring 4 in the 3rd quarter. I'd rather see a more offensive minded lineup; it's not going to hurt the rebounding as we're not rebounding anyways, and they'll play quick defense. Minford travels to Waverly on Tuesday and then Waverly is on the road Friday night to take on South Webster, it's a tough schedule to start with for a team on the rebuild. Just have to keep plugging away hopefully we see some changes to the starting lineup soon or at least minutes distributed differently.
No offense, but I’m not sure there is a lineup that’s going to make a major difference this season for the Tigers. Just not a lot of talent, it happens. It will help when Kelly makes it back into the lineup, but it’s just going to be a long year.

I’m sure the coaches will make the adjustments that they see necessary from practice and the film.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:30 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:05 am Well, that was fun Northwest has a nice little team I could see them fighting with Burg for that 4/5 spot in the league, haven't seen West yet I just know it's the big 3 Minford, Valley, SW and everyone else. Waverly needs to find the right 5 to start as right now we're playing handicapped offensively with a couple guys they keep trotting out there. Not sure why we didn't go to a zone more and stop chasing NW around overall I thought defense wasn't terrible we simply got into trouble with turnovers, lack of rebounding and inability to score consistently with long droughts and only scoring 4 in the 3rd quarter. I'd rather see a more offensive minded lineup; it's not going to hurt the rebounding as we're not rebounding anyways, and they'll play quick defense. Minford travels to Waverly on Tuesday and then Waverly is on the road Friday night to take on South Webster, it's a tough schedule to start with for a team on the rebuild. Just have to keep plugging away hopefully we see some changes to the starting lineup soon or at least minutes distributed differently.
No offense, but I’m not sure there is a lineup that’s going to make a major difference this season for the Tigers. Just not a lot of talent, it happens. It will help when Kelly makes it back into the lineup, but it’s just going to be a long year.

I’m sure the coaches will make the adjustments that they see necessary from practice and the film.
Might not make a huge difference but over time it'll pay off offensively, can't have players out there eating up all the minutes and not trying to score at all. As far as Kelly he's not healthy and probably won't be all season, I just hope he's ok after slipping and going down around halfcourt on a turnover he was very slow to get up and grimacing wasn't the same after that think he only scored 1 more time after that. Haven't seen the stats, I know in the game against Burg we had 20 turnovers, I'm guessing last night we were in that 15-20 range again, tough to be competitive that way. I think those closest to the program knew it'd be a long year, hopefully we can improve. Think it'd start with rebounding drills, shooting about 100 free throws a practice and dribbling/passing drills.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Need to get a grip on the subbing the kids can’t get in a rhythm them at all and he subs them out. The Haines boy needs to go down on jv until he gets better all he does is turn ball over
Hudson
Nibert
Mason
Jamison and Jake best 5

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The big 3? Wheelersburg beat SW. Not seeing West I’d say it’s a top 2 with Minford and Valley.

All we can ask of this Waverly group is to keep working on hard to get better. These kids were put in a position they didn’t ask to be put in and are doing all they can to work through it. Most of them are playing varsity with no experience and before they were ready - people need to get off their high horse and give these coaches and players some time. This year will be what it is and all we can ask is they get better. They are working their butts off. Coaches will make adjustments in due time, they have 3 games under their belts and still figuring some things out and which kids can do what in real game time.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:17 pm
The big 3? Wheelersburg beat SW. Not seeing West I’d say it’s a top 2 with Minford and Valley.

All we can ask of this Waverly group is to keep working on hard to get better. These kids were put in a position they didn’t ask to be put in and are doing all they can to work through it. Most of them are playing varsity with no experience and before they were ready - people need to get off their high horse and give these coaches and players some time. This year will be what it is and all we can ask is they get better. They are working their butts off. Coaches will make adjustments in due time, they have 3 games under their belts and still figuring some things out and which kids can do what in real game time.
Yeah I'll stick with what I said, I wasn't very impressed with Burg and I'll take SW to finish ahead of them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”