August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 pm I agree with letting Terry and Shrek in space, underneath routes and slants and let them utilize their speed, they are some quick dudes
Bingo 🎯

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:53 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:42 pm
osu 77 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:08 pm
Embarrassed that they won really!
Yes . When your team committed that many penalties and not to mention turns over the ball you should be embarrassed. Try that in the playoffs against a disciplined team and you will go home with a loss.

Burg had 4 interceptions and penalties of their own.
Neither program should be stroking their egos today.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

osu 77 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:08 pm
Embarrassed that they won really!
Yes . When your team committed that many penalties and not to mention turns over the ball you should be embarrassed. Try that in the playoffs against a disciplined team and you will go home with a loss.

Burgs qb1 throws a bit of a lollipop ball. Idk if hes a true passing qb or not. I think hes more of an option type qb. Imo they are still a running team

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:07 pm

Burgs qb1 throws a bit of a lollipop ball. Idk if hes a true passing qb or not. I think hes more of an option type qb. Imo they are still a running team
I agree. He's a dual threat that throws a catchable ball. His physicality isn't there yet but hes capable of running zone reads and play action.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:36 pm

I agree. He's a dual threat that throws a catchable ball. His physicality isn't there yet but hes capable of running zone reads and play action.
Yes exactly spot on

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:36 pm

True passers in d5 seo are rare rare air.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:57 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:22 am Completely unbiased viewpoint….

I thought both teams flashed a ton of potential. I don’t think Ironton has the overall horses of their last few state championship game runs, but maybe they’ll prove me wrong. Terry is an absolute beast. I’m very confused what’s going on with the Pittman kid? He got a lot of hype and supposedly had an offer from UK…. but???

Burgs offense is going to be a serious problem as the season goes on. Lattimore was a big time move in for Burg, that kid can play and gives Rucker a tremendous target. The sophomore WR’s will continue to get better, Evans kid could be special also. Rucker made a couple silly passes in tight windows but that happens with young QBs. He’ll watch the film and learn from it.

I’d love to see these two teams meet again in the Regional. I will say, Ironton has more offensive question marks going forward than Burg does. Burg’s young QB is only going to get better and will begin featuring Lattimore even more. If I’m Ironton I’m happy with the win (obviously) but would focus on making the team more disciplined moving forward before it costs them a game.
This is a good take. Ironton has a good team but their depth is an issue. Once burg figures out how they are going to run the ball, everything else will open up. Both these teams are very good.
Pittman = idk. Im not gonna lean on the kid. I just think his in game reps are not where they need to be. He had the eligibility issue last season - last game he played in was at Jackson - and he was injured then sick last few weeks of preseaaon this year. Needs reps so he can find his rhythm on offense. He's a bit stunted right now per in game experience.

He had some bright spots defensively.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Agree. He’s not going to beat good teams with his arm while sitting back in the pocket.

Also agree that Burg should be more of a run oriented team, however, their coaches fall in love with the passing game; especially those wide receiver screen passes that do not work against talented teams.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:42 pm

Agree. He’s not going to beat good teams with his arm while sitting back in the pocket.

Also agree that Burg should be more of a run oriented team, however, their coaches fall in love with the passing game; especially those wide receiver screen passes that do not work against talented teams.
Burg has a lotta weapons in run game and qb1 is a nice compliment to it. Hopefully for burg the coaches understand what butters their bread. 💯

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Burg has a lotta weapons in run game and qb1 is a nice compliment to it. Hopefully for burg the coaches understand what butters their bread. 💯
You would think, but that’s not always the case with regards to the offense. If I had a nickel for every time they misused or didn’t use Derek Lattimore in the run game…

For me, I like what Kirtland does on offense. Not complicated or sophisticated at all, but they do it very well. This is where Burg should play on O. They will never have the athletes that IHS and Harvest Prep have. Need to keep it very simple but be really good at the simple.

Btw, I really like IHS’ Terry. That kid is scary good.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

I thought both teams flashed a ton of potential. I don’t think Ironton has the overall horses of their last few state championship game runs, but maybe they’ll prove me wrong. Terry is an absolute beast. I’m very confused what’s going on with the Pittman kid? He got a lot of hype and supposedly had an offer from UK…. but???

Burgs offense is going to be a serious problem as the season goes on. Lattimore was a big time move in for Burg, that kid can play and gives Rucker a tremendous target. The sophomore WR’s will continue to get better, Evans kid could be special also. Rucker made a couple silly passes in tight windows but that happens with young QBs. He’ll watch the film and learn from it.

I’d love to see these two teams meet again in the Regional. I will say, Ironton has more offensive question marks going forward than Burg does. Burg’s young QB is only going to get better and will begin featuring Lattimore even more. If I’m Ironton I’m happy with the win (obviously) but would focus on making the team more disciplined moving forward before it costs them a game.
This is a good take. Ironton has a good team but their depth is an issue. Once burg figures out how they are going to run the ball, everything else will open up. Both these teams are very good.
Would you give Maxie more carries ? Especially in short yardage situations. I noticed Darling didn’t run ball. Weird since kid been carrying ball since he was sophomore

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:26 pm

Would you give Maxie more carries ? Especially in short yardage situations. I noticed Darling didn’t run ball. Weird since kid been carrying ball since he was sophomore
Yep...Maxie looks like a kid who can be a weapon on goal line and short-yardage situations. As for Darling, he was nicked up all last season, so Burg probably trying to keep him healthy for defensive side of ball.*

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Observation, Thoughts on either schools transfers in, who won that aspect of game. Burgs transfer in from Portsmouth was huge in both scores, 1st score he ran ball in huge chunk of yardage close to goal, 2nd score he caught a wide open pass for TD Looks to be game changer in his speed and catching ability. so I would say he had huge impact for Burg. Ironton posters dont know quite all your move ins but Hart ran ball good and played good defense, lets hear of others.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:50 pm

You would think, but that’s not always the case with regards to the offense. If I had a nickel for every time they misused or didn’t use Derek Lattimore in the run game…

For me, I like what Kirtland does on offense. Not complicated or sophisticated at all, but they do it very well. This is where Burg should play on O. They will never have the athletes that IHS and Harvest Prep have. Need to keep it very simple but be really good at the simple.

Ironton & burg this season offensively speaking should BOTH simplify and find a solid offensive foundation to lean back on. Thess playcallers look like they like playing madden on ps5 lol

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:50 pm

Terry is way too good to not get the ball in space. Needs A LOT MORE TOUCHES. - run & pass like Percy Harvin was used. Hybrid role. Get him the ball.

Hes likely the most athletically dynamic kid in seo

His route running isnt elite yet. He made some mistakes in his routes.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Agree 100% on Terry needing way more touches…against us last night anyway, when he touched the ball it was usually at least 5 broken or whiffed tackles before we could get him down.

sportphotos
JV Team

Post by sportphotos »

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

It’s very ironic after all of RB23 talk of recruits that’s the Portsmouth recruit was Wheelersburg best player. 😂

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

He wasn’t a recruit. He went to Wheelersburg and was thus a transfer. In fact, Ironton did recruit him.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

I was watching stream on here, thought same thing. Without that player , more than likely if it wasn't for him , Burg maybe 7 points at most. He turned a bad play into a run of 20-30 yards down sideline with his speed and athlete ability to close to goal. Second TD for Burg made a good catch and no one touched him with his speed .

Return to “Football”