Ironton - 2 JV Teams Schedule

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton - 2 JV Teams Schedule

Post by The Regulator »

Makes sense to me. Nothing beats game time experience and the more kids getting game time experience the better they will be on Friday nights. Friday nights is all that matters. No one will remember a JV record 5 years from now unless you were a player.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

O and g ,it isn’t a 14 game schedule,it’s 2 teams playing 7 games each.If a player moves up or down he’ll probably only play 7 games :roll:

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 am I still don’t get this. Burg has averaged 70 kids or more for several years now. They’ve never done this. In fact I’ve never heard of anyone doing it. Saying you have two jv teams is strange to me. Why not say, here’s our jv schedule? Play the kids you want in each game.
You can't have a 14 game jv schedule.
Ok then schedule what you’re supposed to have. Ironton is a D5 school. I’d be upset if I was placed on what we all know is the Jv of the Jv. Unless there’s no freshmen team then this would make sense. But that’s me. Is there a freshman team?
I would rather play for the second JV team than not play at all. I have heard there are several schools not having a freshman team this year including Burg

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

A lot of big schools do it. It's not uncommon. Maybe in Southeastern Ohio but go up to Northeast Ohio and you will find a lot of schools with multiple jv squads.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Regulator wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm

You can't have a 14 game jv schedule.
Ok then schedule what you’re supposed to have. Ironton is a D5 school. I’d be upset if I was placed on what we all know is the Jv of the Jv. Unless there’s no freshmen team then this would make sense. But that’s me. Is there a freshman team?
I would rather play for the second JV team than not play at all. I have heard there are several schools not having a freshman team this year including Burg
Burg has over 20 freshmen playing. They have a tough schedule. But two jv teams would make sense if they don’t have a freshman team.
Last edited by wobycat on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm A lot of big schools do it. It's not uncommon. Maybe in Southeastern Ohio but go up to Northeast Ohio and you will find a lot of schools with multiple jv squads.
Obviously. They have probably have 300+ a graduating class. Not 115

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm A lot of big schools do it. It's not uncommon. Maybe in Southeastern Ohio but go up to Northeast Ohio and you will find a lot of schools with multiple jv squads.
If you have 70ish kids playing football, wouldn't it make more sense to get them as much playing time as you can. That will give you more competition for each position at the varsity level and it will keep the kids happy because they aren't just standing around watching other people play all the time.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm really beginning to wonder that if the Ironton coaching staff, the kids that are playing, plus the Parents of the kids that are playing do not have a problem with it, then at what point does it become a concern ? I also have yet to see anyone from Ironton object to this. I may be wrong about this, but just a few years ago I seemed to remember quite a few Fans being able to relish in the fact that Ironton had kind of bodied out, and for a few years was not a typical Ironton football team. The fact that in the past couple years they have tasted a little bit of success, it just might be a little hard for some of these same fans to accept. I think it really comes down to the fact that it is none of mine or anybody else's business as to what they do.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:23 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm
If you have 70ish kids playing football, wouldn't it make more sense to get them as much playing time as you can. That will give you more competition for each position at the varsity level and it will keep the kids happy because they aren't just standing around watching other people play all the time.
If they have a freshman team, Then no I don’t Agree with the philosophy of it. If they don’t, Then yes.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:23 pm I'm really beginning to wonder that if the Ironton coaching staff, the kids that are playing, plus the Parents of the kids that are playing do not have a problem with it, then at what point does it become a concern ? I also have yet to see anyone from Ironton object to this. I may be wrong about this, but just a few years ago I seemed to remember quite a few Fans being able to relish in the fact that Ironton had kind of bodied out, and for a few years was not a typical Ironton football team. The fact that in the past couple years they have tasted a little bit of success, it just might be a little hard for some of these same fans to accept. I think it really comes down to the fact that it is none of mine or anybody else's business as to what they do.
Forums are for discussions, agreements and disagreements. I have no problem with people for or against this topic. Of course we have no say in it. We ain’t running their program. It’s not a matter whether it’s anyone’s business but putting it on here leaves room for discussing it.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Agree, that's what great about this Forum. We both have our opinions, and within reason we both can give them.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I think it’s a great idea, especially if you have the Players to do it.

Go Fighting Tigers......

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The reason why schools (who have the numbers to do so) choose to field a second reserve team is so the bottom 15% of their program's participation (be it youth, size, age, ability or "commitment") has a squad they can play on while also at the same time making it clear these kids will not be finding their way onto the field on Friday nights. Plain and simple. There is strength in numbers. 99.5% of schools are not going to turn away an able-bodied kid that shows he's with the program. Keep them engaged and let them have fun as they mature and develop into varsity material over the next year or two. The "first" reserve team will have kids that likely will dress on Fridays and may get put in toward the end of a blowout or play kickoff team, with reserve football being a complement to their development.

Other thing to remember is the head coach(ing staff) will have more opportunities to see more of their kids on the field too with a second team.

"Freshman" squads have become gradually obsolete over the past ten years now thanks to declining numbers. I think they were largely a meaningless designation to begin with.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Burg basically does the same thing already. Our freshman team played all JV teams last year except Ironton and Jackson. So whats the difference in what you call it. The more games the better. It also helps with scheduling. JV teams don't like getting beat by a freshman team

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Blitz wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am Burg basically does the same thing already. Our freshman team played all JV teams last year except Ironton and Jackson. So whats the difference in what you call it. The more games the better. It also helps with scheduling. JV teams don't like getting beat by a freshman team
Easier to schedule JV games as most teams are always going to have a JV team. The same can't be said for a freshman schedule, you can have one set but if 2-3 teams end up having less freshman playing than expected now you're looking at a possible 4 game freshman schedule and that would suck.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:55 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:40 pm

:lol: Why even make this announcement? Imagine if you were classified as 2nd team jv? Which is what this looks like to me. Why not just say you have a 10 game jv schedule. They don’t have anymore players than Jackson, burg, etc.
If I was a sophomore running 2nd TEAM JV (not 2nd string), might be time to start thinking about cross country or golf.*
It's an opportunity to get more players playing time which helps them develop. A lot of schools wish they had that many kids.
From Facebook Ironton has around 70 kids showing up to workouts. Now more of those kids have an opportunity to play and compete. That will pay off for the Tigers.
great post, I agree.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

artisgilmore wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 pm O and g ,it isn’t a 14 game schedule,it’s 2 teams playing 7 games each.If a player moves up or down he’ll probably only play 7 games :roll:

that's the way I took it as well. 2 teams playing 7 game schedules. and aggressive scheduling does nothing but paying dividends.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm
artisgilmore wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 pm O and g ,it isn’t a 14 game schedule,it’s 2 teams playing 7 games each.If a player moves up or down he’ll probably only play 7 games :roll:

that's the way I took it as well. 2 teams playing 7 game schedules. and aggressive scheduling does nothing but paying dividends.

Have mercy bait re-read that OOC list of schools.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't get it. and yes that is extremely aggressive ooc. I have no idea if this is true. just going by what this says. it has to be true right, it's on here, lol

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The one thing that Ironton better be careful of is quarter limits.

It is pretty obvious that Ironton is making some enemies. I could see someone with a bone to pick going after this. Just a thought.

Return to “Football”