Chillicothe Cavaliers vs Logan Chieftians (Jan 4, 2008)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Chillicothe 65/62 2ot

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chilli pulled the starters at the end of 3rd qtr. (64-22) . dawes and chambers stepped up tonight. though chilli starters gave up 22 pts., they didnt seem to be into this game. the officials doing this game tonight, couldnt keep up with the pace of the game. always 5-10 steps off the pace. if chilli would have lobbed the ball into chambers all night he could have scored at will..no one could jump with him.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bronc21,

I agree with you on the game summary. The Refs took any flow out of the game. However, the kids have to adjust to how the game is being called.

I will go back to my original post that if the Cavs got out in the 1st Qtr, they would be fine. Logan got off early, but Cavs put a quick run on with Humpty hitting a few 3 balls. Game was over after Q1.

Coach K. did a nice job of blending the second team in with the first team starting late in the 1st qtr and throughout the 2nd qtr. Benson and Smith got in the game early. This will pay dividends later (and next year) as I see a nice rotation being developed.

The game did get sloppy and the Cavs did not look real interested. Due to the tight whistles, the D did not create many turnovers, but did hold Logan to one shot and out. Cavs had very few fast break points tonight and still hit for 76. On pace for 85 plus until last 3 minutes turned into a missed foul shot fest.

My player of the game was Seth Dawes. He has stepped up his game in the last 3-4 games. He and Chambers (expected) were monsters on the glass and I know Seth had a double/double (11 pts and 11 boards). Chambers with 23 or so pace the Cavaliers in the scoring column as he did what he wanted in the paint.

I also loved the balanced scoring. After Chambers, Hump and Seth had 11, Knights had 9 (I believe) and Beverly probably had 6-8. The bench behind Smith, Benson and Newman looked real well. I also thought Turner played a solid point in the second half while the rest of the kids played well also.

Cavs need some competition and right now they will have to find it in practice. The fortunate thing is we get 5 games in 8 days so, we at least get to play (we have been play and sit, play and sit).

As for Logan, I thought they gave an excellent effort and actually forced the issue when possible. They just could not put the ball in the basket and the lack of size killed them inside. Kudo's to them for not throwing in the towell after the 1st quarter blitz the Cavs are becomin famous for.

GO CAVS!!!

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Sounds like the cavs had another good night. Would be nice if thier ACT scores matched thier points.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

yes its nice to get those subs in there that early in the first and 2nd qtr. with the exception of 2 games this year, have the starters played more than 2 1/2 qtrs.? i still feel we need to start hitting the 3 ball a little bit better. dawes owned the boards and had some nice moves inside.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

You know what they say about people who assume. They make an ass out of u amd me.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

HaterAid wrote:Sounds like the cavs had another good night. Would be nice if thier ACT scores matched thier points.

HaterAid,

I hope you are not making accusations you cannot back. I also would hope a moderator on here, would ask you to "cut the crap". Totally not necessary to throw things out there like that.

I happen to know all of these kids, and they work as hard in the classroom as they do on the court.

If you have an issue with it, send me a private message and we can get together.

GO CAVS!!!

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Army ...

The thing is that while our starters and top 2-3 subs are getting their minutes, we're doing nothing but playing straight-up man-to-man -- no pressing, no trapping, no zone. It's not like we're doing things to purposely run up the score -- we just score.

See you guys on the 25th. Should be a good one. Good luck vs. Nerk -- they're definitely going to want to slow the tempo.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

hitchbone, i saw in the gazette last year (last 9 week grading period) chilli's top 6 players made the honor roll......5 were high honors 3.5 gpa and above and 1 player , 3.0 gpa or above. go away hateraid

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bronc21 wrote:yes its nice to get those subs in there that early in the first and 2nd qtr. with the exception of 2 games this year, have the starters played more than 2 1/2 qtrs.? i still feel we need to start hitting the 3 ball a little bit better. dawes owned the boards and had some nice moves inside.

bronc,

I agree on the 3 ball, but unfortunately, it is part of the game. I actually hate it. I followed Upper Sandusky (and Diebler) last year and they shot less then 30% from 3-ball. However, if you factor in the 3/2 point ratio, that percentage is really about 45%. Chilly is shooting somewhere in that 30% range right now.

As for the 2 1/2 qtrs for the starters, you are correct. I am not looking at their minutes played, but it is definitely low. As for Seth, he looked extremely strong and made some nice athletic plays tonight. Even when he did not score or take a shot, he was handling the rock on the break and being aggressive. He is a double/double machine in waiting.

GO CAVS!!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bronc21 wrote:hitchbone, i saw in the gazette last year (last 9 week grading period) chilli's top 6 players made the honor roll......5 were high honors 3.5 gpa and above and 1 player , 3.0 gpa or above. go away hateraid

bronc21,

Thanks for the facts. The first questioned asked in our players/parents meeting with Coach K. this year, was how are the kids grades? I asked it and got the response I wanted. They work hard at it and will continue to do so. Our goal at Chilly is to have kids that represent themselves, their families, the school and the community very well in the classroom, on the court and off the court. In today's world that is tough, but we want a program like that.

GO CAVS!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Army ...

The thing is that while our starters and top 2-3 subs are getting their minutes, we're doing nothing but playing straight-up man-to-man -- no pressing, no trapping, no zone. It's not like we're doing things to purposely run up the score -- we just score.

See you guys on the 25th. Should be a good one. Good luck vs. Nerk -- they're definitely going to want to slow the tempo.

Good game CAVS :!:
Especially to the JV Team who won in OT. Great games. Logan played with class. They kept playing and did not give up.

Zanes Vegas, I hear you :!:

Good luck against Warren. Sounds like you guys coasted down at Jackson tonight. How did you like there new gym? See ya all on the 25th too. By the way, where is a decent place to we eat at for supper in Zanesville prior to our CAV and Blue Devil match-up? Any recommendations :?:

Thanks

Army :-D

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Let me say great win for the Cavs. However all these easy games scare me . Lets be honest, Out side of the Brookhaven game and a bite of adversity in the Collage Hill game this team has not been tested. I know the test are coming and I hope I am wrong but things that are to easy like this usally end up getting you somewhere. Thats why I think this team loses atleast two more times. I hope I am wrong but it Is just the way I feel.

HaterAid- Get Lost! just another jealous person who dose not want any other programs to be successful. Sorry for your luck these Cavs are Awsome! and there is nothing you can do or say to stop them.

Army
S

Post by Army »

HaterAid wrote:Sounds like the cavs had another good night. Would be nice if thier ACT scores matched thier points.

Hater-aid,
What's the Big school you support BOC-BOC :!: :-D

I still have not heard an answer, are you afraid Mr. Chicken to tell us the big power team you support :?:

You all know something, he must be a kid. Why :?:

Because if he was a real man that stood up for his team, he would tell us. But that's a real man, not a BOC BOC............................ :!: :lol:

FLASH....FLASH...... :!:

Hey Chillicothe Fans....a little bird just passed some info about our guest on the Chillicothe thread, hater-aid.

Hater-aid do you also go by another username on here.......like..

keeping it real.... :?: :shock:

Are you from Vinton County and a Big Vinton County supporter, but wont admit it ON HERE :?: :roll: :lol:

Now lets see......Chillicothe burst there little bubble last year, and most likely will again this year in the D2 Districts if the cards play out like they are headed FOR. So your Vikings lose to our CAVS and you start to beat up on our Schedule and our ACT scores. :roll:

Hmmmmm.....didn't your D2 Basketball Powerhouse lose to little Chillicothe Huntington-Ross D4 from the SVC the other night :?:

And I might add, at your Gym in McArthur, Ohio :?: :shock: :cry: :lol:

Those Ross County kids can sure play some B-Ball can't they hater-aid or what should I call you.....keeping it real :?: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Who else is on your big basketball schedule....... :?: :shock:

Lets see. You all are a D2 again this season in B-Ball right :?: :lol:

1. Racine Southern Meigs D6, D4 in B-Ball :roll:
2. Chillicothe Huntington-Ross D5, D3 in B-Ball :roll:
3. Belpre D5, D3 in B-Ball
4. Nelsonville-York D5, D3 in B-Ball
5. Chillicothe Southeastern-Ross D5, D4 in B-Ball :roll:
6. Wellston D4, D3 in B-Ball
7. Albany Alexander D4, D3 in B-Ball
8. Pomeroy Meigs D4, D3 in B-Ball
9. The Plains Athens D3, D2 in B-Ball
10. Glouster Trimble D6, D4 in B-Ball :roll:
11. Chillicothe Zane Trace D4, D3 in B-Ball
12. Philo D4, D3 in B-Ball
13. Jackson D2
14. Waterford D6, D4 in B-Ball :roll:
15. Waverly D4, D3 in B-Ball

Now lets look at Chillicothe's D3, D2 in Basketball Scheduled Teams

The CAVS are D2 in B-Ball.....the same as your Vikings. :-D

1. Columbus Brookhaven D1
2. Jackson D2
3. Zanesville D2, D1 in B-Ball
4. Logan D2, D1 in B-Ball
5. Cincinnati North College Hill D3 State Champs 2006, 2007
6. Dayton Dunbar D2 State Champs 2007
7. Newark D1
8. Marietta D2
9. Warren Local D3, D2 in B-Ball
10. Athens D3, D2 in B-Ball
11. Gallipolis D4, D3 in B-Ball
12. Ironton D4, D3 in B-Ball
13. Portsmouth D4, D3 in B-Ball
14. Waverly D4, D3 in B-Ball
15. Wheelersburg D5, D3 in B-Ball

And now you have the tanacity to question our Chillicothe City Schools ACT scores on this thread :?:

Hmmmm.............McArthur Vinton County :?:

I wonder if we would evaluate your D3 School against our D3 School....both being D2 in B-Ball, what the differences would be.

ACT and SAT Scores HUH :?:

Who would come out on top concerning McArthur Vinton County vs Chillicothe....in academic excellence concerning the highest scores on those two College Prep Test :?:

Would you like to compare and contrast :?: :lol: :lol:

Why so much hate for the Chillicothe Cavailers..
(hater-aid) or (keeping it real) :?:

Hmmmmmm could it be that the Vikings lone loss came at the hands of the Chillicothe Cavaliers in the first round of South East Division II District tournament in 2007 last year :?: :lol:

Wait until this year :!: :shock: :cry: :-D ;-) :lol:

ARMY :-D
Last edited by Army on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to the Cavs on tonight's win ... for the 2nd time vs a quality top 2 SEOAL team the Purple were unable to give the opponent a game past the first 3 minutes of the 1st quarter ... I'm sure tomorrow night vs 3-7 New Lexington the coaches will have the Chiefs ready to compete D1 vs D3 ???... the Purple will be out to avenge last years 67-62 loss to the Panthers ...

... tonight's contest or "non contest" saw a Cavs team that didn't have their "A" game dismantle the Purple ... as was posted this was over before the 1st quarter was in the books ... 4 Chillicothe three balls (Hitchens 3/Dawes 1) and Sugar Ray Chambers with 6 points in the paint to get warmed up was more than enough to knock out the Purple in the opening period ... Chillicothe 20 - Logan 8 after quarter one ... the second quarter saw 7 Cavs dent the scoreboard ... the 26 to 7 scoring margin had many Cavs fans in the upper levels heading for the exits ... Chilli 46 - Logan 15 at intermission ... the majority of the second half was played by Logan starters vs Chillicothe 2nd team and JV players - Cavs still won the 3rd & 4th quarters 30-26 ... Chillicothe 76 - Logan 41 a final ...

Logan Napkin Stats ...

Scoring ... Luke Wright 8/Zach Adams 7/Patrick Angle 6/Mason Mays 5/Matt Poindexter 5/Mark Potter 4/Chase Colliton 3/Jeff Dietz 1 ...

3 Pointers ... 3/20 ... Wright/Colliton/Poindexter 1 each

FT's ... 8/21

TOs ... 27

Chillicothe Napkin Stats ...

Scoring ... Ray Chambers 23/Hitchens 11/Dawes 11/Knights 9/Smith 6/Beverly 5/Newman 4/Turner 4/Benson 2/Volkinburg 1

3 Pointers ... 4/16 ... Hitchens 3/Knights 1

FTs ... 11/17

TOs ... 20 ... Cavs had 8 TOs in the first qtr.

... I've seen both of the top two teams in the SEOAL take on the Purple, my impression is that Zanesville is the better of the 2 teams ... at this point ZHS shows to be the more disciplined ball club at both ends of the floor ... seem to be more in control of what is happening on the floor - imo the overall talent level top to bottom favors Zanesville ... ZHS has raised its' level of play from last year - while CHS did manhandle the Chiefs ... AND the Cavs ARE a good ball club - not in question here - BUT I give the edge to the Blue Devils going into their 1/25 showdown ... from what I saw tonight the Cavs will have their hands full on the 12th vs the Canal Winchester "giant killer" Newark ball club ...

... jottings .. Chillicothe JVs 65 vs Logan JVs 61 ... 2 OTs

Army
S

Post by Army »

pfloyd,
I would have to disagree. I think they are evenly matched and if the CAVS don't blow it on the (Blue Devils Home Floor) they will make a decent game of it and it could go either way. The team you watched tonight was a CAV Team playing on half a tank.

You haven't seen them when they are playing real competition and bring there A Game full steam ahead. :-D

Only time will tell. If memory serves me right, it was the same thing BEING SAID about our CAVS last year. Everybody was not giving the edge to Chillicothe, and everybody was picking Zanesville over our CAVS. :-D

Oh well.

I also like our chances at the Schott against Newark.

So lets see. :-D

GO CAVS :!:

Roll Big Blue and White :-D

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

Chilli/Logan

Post by tropicalbreeze »

I've seen both teams this year and last year. I "think" Zanes will have the edge at home, BUT, I do know that you can't judge either team by watching them win by 40 points against undermanned teams. I'm sure that Logan didn't see the Cav's team that will show up @ Zanes, as I'm sure Jackson didin't seen the same team that will show up 1/25, (I know for sure, i was @ that game). A better gauge might be the Nerk/Chilli game next Sat., but until Jan 25th, we will not know! The one thing I do know is that Chilli has improved, but Zanes is a completely different team from last year. They are a much bigger team and more athletic overall, but does that mean better than Chilli? Stay tuned!

Army
S

Re: Chilli/Logan

Post by Army »

tropicalbreeze wrote:I've seen both teams this year and last year. I "think" Zanes will have the edge at home, BUT, I do know that you can't judge either team by watching them win by 40 points against undermanned teams. I'm sure that Logan didn't see the Cav's team that will show up @ Zanes, as I'm sure Jackson didin't seen the same team that will show up 1/25, (I know for sure, i was @ that game). A better gauge might be the Nerk/Chilli game next Sat., but until Jan 25th, we will not know! The one thing I do know is that Chilli has improved, but Zanes is a completely different team from last year. They are a much bigger team and more athletic overall, but does that mean better than Chilli? Stay tuned!

tropicalbreeze,

I have to agree with you 100%.

GO CAVS :!:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... fellas I KNOW you can't judge what or who will show up in their head to head games ... as I posted based on the two contests vs a not so competitive Logan squad in the two match-ups (LHS vs ZHS/LHS vs CHS) - my impressions were that ZHS has the edge ... doesn't mean Chillicothe isn't the better team/doesn't mean the Cavs won't win on the 25th or the DOC ... only means that on the nights vs Logan - the ville looked the better team imo ... as you said - the same thing was said last season LOL ... the Cavs ended up playing their best ball as they approached the post season - and we know that CHS was outstanding in the post season ... maybe the term "better" isn't the right one to use here - probably terms such as ZHS being "sharper" , more "focused" are better descriptors ... or maybe CHS was "not as sharp", "less focused", "sloppy" - (CHS had 8 TOs in the first quarter/20 on the game) - fits better ...

... there were positives for the Cavs by the way - Seth Dawes played an outstanding game - a beast on the boards, worked the inside well on offense - I like that kid (he'll be special next season as a senior) ... Ray Chambers? what's not to like LOL - 23 points/ put back dunk LOL if there is such a thing it was an "easy 23" - really didn't have to work hard for it ... obviously Chilli IS THAT GOOD - they methodically beat Logan by 35 points ... it wasn't your knockout punch type 35 point win more of a methodical , "strong man competition" pounding of the Chiefs LOL ...

... Cavs didn't look as sharp/focused/disciplined as Zanesville IN THEIR GAMES WITH LOGAN ... therefore I stick with my tie at number 1 placement on the Elite 8 list giving Zanesville top billing however for "sharpness" , better focus - sounds like an HD TV - "it's all in the mirrors" as the commercial says LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

Chilli/Logan

Post by tropicalbreeze »

Pfloyd, I have no problems with your statements. I agree that in the games I've watched, zanes looks a little sharper. I just learned from last year that Chilli with it's athletics and potential can really be a good team against better competition. Last year I watched both temas and thought zanes would win by 15 points, then Chilli came out and played very sharp and crisp. I expect the same thing this year! The Nerk game Jan 12th will be a great game. BTW, Warren Harding should be favored against Zanes in the 1st game!

Return to “Boys Basketball”