Serious Burg vs Ironton question

BigChuck
JV Team

Serious Burg vs Ironton question

Post by BigChuck »

In all seriousness, is it time for the Pirate Program to begin looking for a better quality team to open its season with? I think yes....

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
BurgGrad6
SE

Re: Serious Burg vs Ironton question

Post by BurgGrad6 »

No.... this is a rivalry game.. keep it.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Most seasons. Just like wellston vs jackson should not happen.

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

You never want to end a rivalry but this one has turned ugly as of late. A couple more seasons of scores like this and it may have to happen.

BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Neither program are anything worth writing home about. They project a strong appearance in southern ohio but once they travel north they are more times than not exposed by deeper and generally more diverse and talented programs.

Stay in the small pond.

BTWN_THE_LINE
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Curious to hear the story about the stolen playbook and how that led to the onside kick and running up of the score at the end of the game.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Westfan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:46 am Curious to hear the story about the stolen playbook and how that led to the onside kick and running up of the score at the end of the game.
I'm not sure how it went down, lot of evidence pointed that way, but honestly who cares? A person or persons character eventually comes to light. In the end, the pirates were a better football team.

As far as the onside kick, it was more like a surprise kick as it went about 15-20 yards and the ironton kid was right there and could have easily grabbed it. Probably a freshman and he got nervous.

As far as the running up the score, well burg scored 4 in the first half, and 2 in the second half with a running clock and the starters went out at the end of the third. In the fourth, about everyone played as both teams emptied benches.

If that constitutes running up the score now, we should stop playing sports. Have the kids show up in their uniform, take pictures, then send them home with a trophy.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Even though the Burg has completely dominated as of late, only one game without a running clock out of the last 6 that I can recall, they should keep the game. It is still one of the most anticipated season openers in SE Ohio regardless of what is expected from both teams at the beginning of the season.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

BigCarlito72 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:22 am Neither program are anything worth writing home about. They project a strong appearance in southern ohio but once they travel north they are more times than not exposed by deeper and generally more diverse and talented programs.

Stay in the small pond.
What he said!! ^^^^ lol
I remember last year someone said something about scheduling a D2 OCC school. :lol: :lol: :lol: stay in your lane enjoy the small ball.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

no way. This is the biggest rivalry in SEO. Although it's lopsided right now. Itown will improve. Until then Burg will continue to rule this one.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

I personally would like to see Burg play Massie. Teams in SE Ohio at least play Burg. Massie has had 3 teams basically refuse to play them (Blanchester, Jonathon Alder and Waynesville). Massie has Coldwater next week and then they have Cincy Northwest in nonconference also in a couple weeks.

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

BallDontLie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:06 pm I personally would like to see Burg play Massie. Teams in SE Ohio at least play Burg. Massie has had 3 teams basically refuse to play them (Blanchester, Jonathon Alder and Waynesville). Massie has Coldwater next week and then they have Cincy Northwest in nonconference also in a couple weeks.

I would love to see that game. Burg has grown out of the competition in this area for the time being. Similar to Ironton back in the day.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Time for Ironton to drop off the schedule. It's sad, but they will not recover to the dominance that once was. If they do, it isn't valuable to Wheelersburg to wait around for it.
I like the Massie option. This is only a rivalry cause ppl can't let it go. Look PHS was a rivalry, they are gone. West is a rivalry! Valley is..... Point is. Seems like anyone Burg plays, turns into a rivalry.

To compete, you have to play up. Ironton is not that anymore. The gate is only good, cause it's the 1st game. People have such a love for HSFB that they want to get to the games. Wouldn't matter if game 1 was Fairland. People would show up.

Move on, schedule up.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Wheelersburg is hammering everyone in SE Ohio right now. Their program is in a great position, and has always been consistently successful. However, this is a series that Ironton used to control. It may take a while, but I think Ironton will improve enough to make this a competitive series again in the future. Burg could definitely seek out a better opponent, but it's probably a game that shouldn't leave the schedule forever.

I do get what people are thinking though, because I feel the same way about the Jackson/Wellston series. If Wheelersburg wants to take that next step, and become a perennial state title contender, playing opponents that will raise their level of play through more intense competition is the way to do that. I think scheduling Watterson this season is definitely a good thing (even though they're a little down from what they used to be), and more games like that in the future will benefit their program as a whole.

I do believe it's very difficult to convince some schools from the metropolitan areas to travel down to our part of the state, especially when those schools usually play in D3 or higher. They don't wanna make the trip when they can find a competitive game in closer proximity, and they also don't want to get trucked by a D5 program.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

IMO I wish the series would end. It's been lopsided as of late and I don't feel that this game benefits us

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Neutron Man wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:11 pm Time for Ironton to drop off the schedule. It's sad, but they will not recover to the dominance that once was. If they do, it isn't valuable to Wheelersburg to wait around for it.
I like the Massie option. This is only a rivalry cause ppl can't let it go. Look PHS was a rivalry, they are gone. West is a rivalry! Valley is..... Point is. Seems like anyone Burg plays, turns into a rivalry.

To compete, you have to play up. Ironton is not that anymore. The gate is only good, cause it's the 1st game. People have such a love for HSFB that they want to get to the games. Wouldn't matter if game 1 was Fairland. People would show up.

Move on, schedule up.
Maybe Burg should go Independent so they can schedule up every game, just a thought.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:30 pm IMO I wish the series would end. It's been lopsided as of late and I don't feel that this game benefits us
What games on their schedule benefit them, Watterson, who else?

If Southeastern Ohio Teams ain't good enough for the Burg anymore, go Independent and schedule up every game, my 2 cents......
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:03 pm
Neutron Man wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:11 pm Time for Ironton to drop off the schedule. It's sad, but they will not recover to the dominance that once was. If they do, it isn't valuable to Wheelersburg to wait around for it.

Move on, schedule up.
Maybe Burg should go Independent so they can schedule up every game, just a thought.
Makes sense. Kind of what Ironton used to do.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Maybe instead of just not playing each other look into making it the Foundation Game. Giving time to see if they can make it a worthy game during the season.
Independent not the way to go yet. Do not want to burn bridges with the local teams in the lean years. Like Portsmouth not being allowed in the SOC. Maybe instead of going independent look into like Notre Dame does in college with the ACC. Not playing for Conference Championships. Playing a few Conference Games along with their old Independent schedule.
Complete Independent makes for lot longer travel for games makes it harder for fans to make it to the games. They get good fan support during the playoffs. By adding that for the whole season many just can not leave work early all the time to make it. As well as the extra costs. Even the extra grind on the players. If not on Saturdays having to leave school early for long trips.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

I always liked this game nice blocking and tackling pads popping. id say they make money on the game for whoever host short drive for the visitor

Return to “Football”