2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by Orange and Brown »

Congratulations on your new coach.
Get behind him and the kids!
Amazing things happen when a community gets behind it's teams.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Bruce and best wishes to him!!.........I will be there faithfully to support the Trojans win or lose, good or bad, first place or last place.......I would like to see Bruce come out and make a public statement about what he plans to do and what changes need to be made. The fan base needs to be won back, player participation numbers need to be strong, and perhaps most of all, from the people I have talked to, the pee wee program needs to be overhauled.

To bring Portsmouth football back to a consistently competitive level is doable. Instability at the top leads to lack of success on the field, and Portsmouth must stop going through coaches like a glass of water. To fix Portsmouth football is very possible, but good decisions have to be made from top to bottom.

I think getting Wheelersburg back on the schedule would be a huge statement by Coach Kalb, in that it would show the community that his program will not back down from anybody and that his Trojans will live up to the nickname that Portsmouth High School has proudly marched into battle with for over 100 years.

GO TROJANS FOREVER!!!

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

How bout these Trojans gotta be underdawgs but the Trojans will play hard. GITTER R DONE Trojans MOJO JUJU from da Tooner crew all is welll on da river waitin to cruise up da Ohio to take on da Pirates. Good Luck Men of Troy. If u play like da Beasts u are and the great players u are as underdawgs we can unite and with the help of Trojandave, Brutus, and Boomer we will rise again!

We got ya back, Prince Trojan!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

farmer wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:00 am In the State of Ohio is not like in Texas where coaches can get paid over $100,000. I remember an AD said that Ohio you can not pay big salaries for coaches. It is restricted. It has to be negotiated by the Union anyway. Making a new positon at the school for a coach has become harder than it use to be.
The big programs in SC also pay $100K plus a year in head coaches salaries, but the bulk of the money comes from booster clubs. I know that is unworkable with union contracts and the demographics in southern Ohio, but it is a way out of school board politics. The downside, it exposes the coach to booster club politics.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Catchup13
Riding the Bench

Post by Catchup13 »

In the state of Ohio, a high school coach cannot be paid by a booster club. You risk losing your coaching certification. If you’re a teacher, you could lose your teaching certification.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

I have a strong feeling this thread topic will pop up again in another year or two, because Portsmouth is unwilling to make serious change. Another hanger-on coach with the same voices saying, "give him a chance"

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

lol Phoenix,bad memories for me ....we used to have some fun back in those days

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Otto wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 pm I have a strong feeling this thread topic will pop up again in another year or two, because Portsmouth is unwilling to make serious change. Another hanger-on coach with the same voices saying, "give him a chance"
I couldn't agree anymore.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:19 pm
farmer wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:00 am In the State of Ohio is not like in Texas where coaches can get paid over $100,000. I remember an AD said that Ohio you can not pay big salaries for coaches. It is restricted. It has to be negotiated by the Union anyway. Making a new positon at the school for a coach has become harder than it use to be.
The big programs in SC also pay $100K plus a year in head coaches salaries, but the bulk of the money comes from booster clubs. I know that is unworkable with union contracts and the demographics in southern Ohio, but it is a way out of school board politics. The downside, it exposes the coach to booster club politics.
well said.....wonder if a coach would prefer heat from a booster club or receive heat from the taxpayers?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm
Omega wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:19 pm
well said.....wonder if a coach would prefer heat from a booster club or receive heat from the taxpayers?
Some other states have extended football season for practice and some 12 months a year. In Ohio the 7 on 7 and training in the off season makes it more than just the regular football season.
Also some people are putting the hiring on the AD and Superintendent. Some schools listen to them but School Board Members can go against them and hire whoever they want,

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm Good luck, Prince Trojan.....

You are going to need lots of MOJO and JUJU in the years ahead!!!!!

:mrgreen:
Ah, have missed MOJO and his friend JUJU. Thanks for the memories Phoenix31

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

My suggestion would be for Coach Kalb to give performance stickers out....

Big plays would be the Road Runner....you guessed it, "Beep Beep!!! There goes a Trojan!"

Pancake blocks would be a picture of da Tooner...

Big hits would be stickers of Captain Trojan!!!

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

That is what the Trojan's need performance stickers.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

coach knows wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 am That is what the Trojan's need performance stickers.
Lol ikr

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

What Portsmouth needs is for the parents to start being parents and start teaching their kid when their is controversy they need to man up and work through it and stop jumping school to school because a coach raised his voice and made you piss,down your leg.

Back in the day you had strong kids with strong parents that instilled this in their kids,now days kids and parents tend to be a bunch of pansy ,Portsmouth has lost a lot of kids to some good programs , it hurts Portsmouth but in a way it hurts other programs as well, example ,Andrew bendolph goes to burg,burg has a few "burg" kids not come out that have played all the way up until then ,is it worth winning a few more games at the cost of YOUR kid getting cheated out of what he worked for all through his school career?

Burg has had success a lot to do with Portsmouth kids,but their parents are happy with that as long as they can win.

Also on another note,Cole lowery had a big hand in getting the football team to the state and he is the only reason burg will win some basketball games along with truit who is another transfer, but when its all said and done neither kid is going pro,so what did they do but hurt their home school???
Parents simply don't raise kids these days they let them make their own decisions.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

dontreply wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm What Portsmouth needs is for the parents to start being parents and start teaching their kid when their is controversy they need to man up and work through it and stop jumping school to school because a coach raised his voice and made you piss,down your leg.

Back in the day you had strong kids with strong parents that instilled this in their kids,now days kids and parents tend to be a bunch of pansy ,Portsmouth has lost a lot of kids to some good programs , it hurts Portsmouth but in a way it hurts other programs as well, example ,Andrew bendolph goes to burg,burg has a few "burg" kids not come out that have played all the way up until then ,is it worth winning a few more games at the cost of YOUR kid getting cheated out of what he worked for all through his school career?

Burg has had success a lot to do with Portsmouth kids,but their parents are happy with that as long as they can win.

Also on another note,Cole lowery had a big hand in getting the football team to the state and he is the only reason burg will win some basketball games along with truit who is another transfer, but when its all said and done neither kid is going pro,so what did they do but hurt their home school???
Parents simply don't raise kids these days they let them make their own decisions.
Hahahahahahahahaha

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coming from a Trojan alumnus, I give Wheelersburg all the credit they deserve. They have been an outstanding program for decades, with 30 playoff appearances. I don't think there's a school in the SE district that hasn't benefitted from transfers at one time or another, including Portsmouth. The Burg probably has had more than most, but that's the landscape of today's high school athletics. Even without transfers, WHS would easily still be the best program in all of SE Ohio.

I wish we could keep the kids at Portsmouth that I've seen coming up through the system, but parents have their reasons for leaving. I've just accepted it anymore and really don't give it much thought. We've had athletics at Portsmouth High School for well over 100 years, and good or bad, we will still have teams that wear the Red and Blue. We will survive no matter what other people think of us. GO TROJANS!!!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm
dontreply wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm What Portsmouth needs is for the parents to start being parents and start teaching their kid when their is controversy they need to man up and work through it and stop jumping school to school because a coach raised his voice and made you piss,down your leg.

Hahahahahahahahaha
Forgive my not knowing, but who is Andrew Bendolph? I don’t remember seeing his name on any current rosters. Is he a former player at Burg that came from Portsmouth?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

coach knows wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 am That is what the Trojan's need performance stickers.
I am so dreadfully apologetic that Nut and you are unable to see the forest for the trees.

Answer this for me, "Who was Prince Trojan?"

.....or, better yet, "Who is Prince Trojan?"

Maybe, just maybe, this will help you.....but then again, maybe not.....

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha
So this guy is suggesting that instead of going to the Burg, winning state, and having memories that last a lifetime (recovering a fumble to win the game), Lowery should have stayed at Portsmouth and rode it out with the yearly 3-7, 5-5, etc. mediocre teams that never sniff the playoffs? Be stuck in a program with incompetent leadership (administrators and coaches)? Uhhhh... I'm gonna guess the kid doesn't regret turning his back on the trojans. :roll:

Just saying. There's a reason why the top college players do not want to get drafted by the Browns. It's a dumpster fire situation.

Return to “Football”