Waverly Vs Unioto 3/9 @8:15

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Waverly Vs Unioto 3/9 @8:15

Post by Ironman92 »

winningaintcheap wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm I just want to say that was one of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen. Both ways. Remington played less than 5 minutes due to touch fouls being called. Super inconsistent. At one point in the first half Unioto accumulated 3 fouls within 8 seconds, but then late in the game nobody could buy a foul. Of the 3 refs, I think one of them called 80% of the fouls. It killed the rhythm of the game and it made for ugly basketball.
They announced their names....surprised the one got to do a district final. I’d guess he was the one with the happy whistle.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

winningaintcheap wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm I just want to say that was one of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen. Both ways. Remington played less than 5 minutes due to touch fouls being called. Super inconsistent. At one point in the first half Unioto accumulated 3 fouls within 8 seconds, but then late in the game nobody could buy a foul. Of the 3 refs, I think one of them called 80% of the fouls. It killed the rhythm of the game and it made for ugly basketball.
Well didn’t take long for “that guy” to show up and start bitching and making excuses. You should probably become an Athens fan. Officiating in no way cost anyone a game.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 am
Well didn’t take long for “that guy” to show up and start bitching and making excuses. You should probably become an Athens fan. Officiating in no way cost anyone a game.
I was actually there to support Unioto, but it’s completely uncalled for that Waverly had a kid play less than 5 minutes for the fouls called on him compared to what was let to go in other parts of the game. I never said this game cost anybody anything. I just said it was poorly officiated - because it was.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I wasn't there so I know nothing about how the officiating was going or not going. I know there was a lot of fouls called both ways, had waverly been able to force OT Unioto was in serious foul trouble. If I remember correctly I've seen post before talking about Remington and fouling issues, but to be a starter and play that little that's a REALLY tough pill to swallow and I feel bad for the kid. I will say the guys on the radio really weren't saying anything about the fouls called, they mentioned the amount but didn't say anything about being a touch foul. For the most part seemed like they agreed with most fouls that were called. I'm one that I don't like to blame officiating if you see the game being called a certain way you need to adjust as a player and coach. Is there games that's called wore than others, absolutely but this was a game where both teams had racked up over 16/17 team fouls by the end of the game.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

As all of you know that have been on here this year I am an unashamed Waverly fan! Full disclosure is that I am Remington's dad and proud of the year my kid had after missing all of last year with a broken growth plate. Here is the problem I had with the officiating. I was the official scorekeeper for ten tournament games at Waverly. I watched four other tournament games there. I watched four games at the Southeast sectional and have seen all of the division 2 and division 3 games at the Convo. Only games I haven't seen were last Sunday's division 4 games. Hard for me to make it on Church day! In all of the games I have watched before the Waverly Unioto game they have let them play. They have swallowed the whistle and the play has been so much better. Last night there was no flow to the game. There was no energy in the building because of the constant stoppage. I don't understand why they would decide to call that game tight. There were bad calls both ways and Swackhammer had 4 fouls as well. Unioto made more plays down the stretch than we did. The only foul I had a problem with was the charge call on Cody late in the fourth. No way that was a charge. I am sure Unioto got some bad calls as well. Good luck to the Shermans and I hope you continue to advance.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am As all of you know that have been on here this year I am an unashamed Waverly fan! Full disclosure is that I am Remington's dad and proud of the year my kid had after missing all of last year with a broken growth plate. Here is the problem I had with the officiating. I was the official scorekeeper for ten tournament games at Waverly. I watched four other tournament games there. I watched four games at the Southeast sectional and have seen all of the division 2 and division 3 games at the Convo. Only games I haven't seen were last Sunday's division 4 games. Hard for me to make it on Church day! In all of the games I have watched before the Waverly Unioto game they have let them play. They have swallowed the whistle and the play has been so much better. Last night there was no flow to the game. There was no energy in the building because of the constant stoppage. I don't understand why they would decide to call that game tight. There were bad calls both ways and Swackhammer had 4 fouls as well. Unioto made more plays down the stretch than we did. The only foul I had a problem with was the charge call on Cody late in the fourth. No way that was a charge. I am sure Unioto got some bad calls as well. Good luck to the Shermans and I hope you continue to advance.
I agree, officiating didn’t cost the Tigers the game but there were some headscratchers. Seems like the charge/blocking foul was the biggest inconsistency and way to many ticky tack touch fouls. I agree, the charge on Remington was questionable.
Tigers took the lead at the end of three and when they went up 4 in the 4th I felt they had a good chance of pulling away. But unlike Sheridan a week prior, the Sherman’s did get rattled or fatigued. They responded and made the plays down the stretch including two big threes while Waverly couldn’t buy a bucket.

So proud of these Tigers - CONGRATULATIONS on a 18-7 season, Sectional Championship and District runnerups with a great win over a very good Sheridan team.
Travis beefed up the schedule this year playing Fairland and several other D2’s. Gonna make the Tigers better.
Last edited by smurray on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

As an outside observer who has no dog in the fight, I will agree that the officiating was not good (both ways). When I saw that crew walk out during warmups I knew we were in for a show. Without naming them, the one ref gets a district final or two every year and genuinely believes the game is about him. Of my many years watching ball he’s always been like that. The other two I’ve never seen do a district final before, they just seemed out of their element.

Again, it was both ways. There was no call either way that I think would change the outcome because I do believe the better team won. However, it’s very hard to watch games officiated like that and there were definitely several calls that made you scratch your head. If you remember in the 2nd quarter there was a 3-4 minute stoppage of play so the officials could confide and figure out who to call the foul on after the fact...... they then still issued the foul to the wrong player. That moment was.......... interesting.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Who officiated the game??

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am As all of you know that have been on here this year I am an unashamed Waverly fan! Full disclosure is that I am Remington's dad and proud of the year my kid had after missing all of last year with a broken growth plate. Here is the problem I had with the officiating. I was the official scorekeeper for ten tournament games at Waverly. I watched four other tournament games there. I watched four games at the Southeast sectional and have seen all of the division 2 and division 3 games at the Convo. Only games I haven't seen were last Sunday's division 4 games. Hard for me to make it on Church day! In all of the games I have watched before the Waverly Unioto game they have let them play. They have swallowed the whistle and the play has been so much better. Last night there was no flow to the game. There was no energy in the building because of the constant stoppage. I don't understand why they would decide to call that game tight. There were bad calls both ways and Swackhammer had 4 fouls as well. Unioto made more plays down the stretch than we did. The only foul I had a problem with was the charge call on Cody late in the fourth. No way that was a charge. I am sure Unioto got some bad calls as well. Good luck to the Shermans and I hope you continue to advance.
We we're pulling for Cody from Peebles. Great kid.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WONDERFUL YEAR OF BASKETBALL FOR THE WAVERLY TIGERS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Who does waverly graduate?

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Waverly plays every minute like it is the last minute of the game and they are down 6! You want a flow to the game Waverly fans, ask your coach to run an offense. You prided yourself on playing th8s way, you can’t complain about t(e officials, kind of hard to weed out calls when a team does nothing but scramble! Waverly did completely outhustle, outrebound and wanted this game more, Unioto just had more talent.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am However, it’s very hard to watch games officiated like that and there were definitely several calls that made you scratch your head. If you remember in the 2nd quarter there was a 3-4 minute stoppage of play so the officials could confide and figure out who to call the foul on after the fact...... they then still issued the foul to the wrong player. That moment was.......... interesting.
Everybody in the arena knew it was on #0 Howell (The onIy one near the play) but the initial call was on 24. The only 24 on the floor was for Unioto. After that was questioned by everyone the officials conferred. Uniotos coach was saying it’s on #0. They some how call it on #23 Wole. He must have been dead set it was on 20 something and 23 was only choice. No idea how you call a foul on someone when you have NO CLUE who it’s on. That sent Wolfe to the bench with 2 fouls after Remington was already on bench with his two fouls in the first.

Congratulations to the Sherman’s on the win and would love to see a Sherman vs Dragon Regional Championship game.
Last edited by smurray on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

king kong wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am Waverly plays every minute like it is the last minute of the game and they are down 6! You want a flow to the game Waverly fans, ask your coach to run an offense. You prided yourself on playing th8s way, you can’t complain about t(e officials, kind of hard to weed out calls when a team does nothing but scramble! Waverly did completely outhustle, outrebound and wanted this game more, Unioto just had more talent.
I would agree, Unioto had more basketball talent, more experience and was the better team and that prevailed in the end. Waverly gave them everything they wanted.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Let me clarify something here:
Comments about the officiating- missed calls, no calls, wrong calls in no way shape or form changed the outcome of the game. Officials are human and miss calls. I hope no one thinks the comments I made was bashing or slamming the crew. We make assessments of the players, coaches, even fans so its natural we make assessments of the officials as well. I have seen these officials work numerous games and believe they try to be fair and call what they see. I apologize if my comments appear to be bashing or slamming them - that is not my intent.
I will say it again, Unioto did what they had to do - made the plays down the stretch and Waverly did not.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Wow... what a game! Both teams played hard and congrats to the Tanks on surviving and advancing!
I honestly thought going into this game that the Tigers would be able to keep it close in the first half and the Tanks would run away with it in the 2nd half, figured it would be about a 15 point victory for the U. If you compare these two teams, I think it is easy to see that Unioto is the better basketball team. Waverly has a ton of athletes, but no real true basketball player IMO. They don't have a guy who you can just hand the ball to when you need a bucket and just say go to work. They are able to win ball games by playing D, wearing other teams out, and getting out and running to get easy buckets. I guess I expected a lot more of the U, I came away not so impressed. Don't get me wrong, you have to be a good team to get to this point and the Tanks are. But I just don't see how Unioto has dominated the SVC for so many seasons. I think this game in a way showed that the SOC produces better overall teams compared to the SVC when looking top to bottom.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm Wow... what a game! Both teams played hard and congrats to the Tanks on surviving and advancing!
I honestly thought going into this game that the Tigers would be able to keep it close in the first half and the Tanks would run away with it in the 2nd half, figured it would be about a 15 point victory for the U. If you compare these two teams, I think it is easy to see that Unioto is the better basketball team. Waverly has a ton of athletes, but no real true basketball player IMO. They don't have a guy who you can just hand the ball to when you need a bucket and just say go to work. They are able to win ball games by playing D, wearing other teams out, and getting out and running to get easy buckets. I guess I expected a lot more of the U, I came away not so impressed. Don't get me wrong, you have to be a good team to get to this point and the Tanks are. But I just don't see how Unioto has dominated the SVC for so many seasons. I think this game in a way showed that the SOC produces better overall teams compared to the SVC when looking top to bottom.
Ah yes, the good old "you have to be good, but I think y'all suck" backhanded compliment

With that said, I saw both teams play 3-4 times this year and thought Unioto would win easily if they played their game, but Waverly was able to speed them up and forced them into some quick shots. It was easily the worst that I've seen them play and I saw both of their losses. Great effort from Waverly. Congratulations to Unioto for the District Championship. I would expect them to play better in their next round.

Waverly will be back at The Convo next year, but has a lot to replace in their 3 Seniors. But, they will have one of the best backcourt in Southern Ohio and a really nice wing in Wolfe.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 am Who does waverly graduate?
SENIORS
Clayton Howell
Ethan Adrian
Jake Reed
Ethan Crabtree

JUNIORS
Cobe Marquez
Landon Hoover
Cody Remington
Easton Wolfe
Ethan Dunn
Trevor Penrod

SOPHOMORES
Michael Goodman
Grayson Diener
Ragen Davis
Cameron Kendricks
Tanner Smallwood
Zack Brown

FRESHMEN
Zeke Brown (started varsity football)
Haydn Shanks
Gage Wheeler
Phoenix Wolfe (started varsity football - Easton’s brother)
Jackson Wise
Sawyer Pendleton
Jaxson Poe
Blaise Reader
Eli Crabtree

Some very good incoming Freshmen who could make the varsity squad - a move back and another possible move in.

I don’t think anyone really expected 18 wins this season and a District Championship game.
Waverly made it to the Convo last year but lost in round one. This year they went one game further and were so close to that District Championship.
Next year we expect to get back to the Convo but look to win the District.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Congrats to the U , what a run they have made over the past 4 years ! I disagree with SOC being better top to bottom in the past 4 years! I do believe a 5 win regular season Southeastern beat the mighty Oaks last year !
Last edited by bucknuts09 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

If Unioto was in the SOCII they would have lost several games the last four years.

Return to “Boys Basketball”