Marietta/Warren apply for TVC membership

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Marietta/Warren apply for TVC membership

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm I'm not a fan of having a 3rd division.
Add Warren to the Ohio so it fixes the scheduling and call it a day.
I agree. I have a feeling they will finally get in

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Agree with O&B, I hate the 3 division idea. I would also love to see Warren get in the Ohio. I know it’s not going to happen or every will anytime soon or at all, but would like to see River Valley out of the TVC and have Marietta in the Ohio if they applied. Anybody know when we will have an answer?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens plays Warren in EVERYTHING noreply, doesnt matter if its a league game or not. That's probably why they voted yes.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It matters because it would be a league loss

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Will Fort Frye ever join the TVC Hocking?

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Noreplay, don't make 93bulldog mad he will delete your posts and lecture you on PM!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

All a little fun between Mods

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fletchlives wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:40 pm Noreplay, don't make 93bulldog mad he will delete your posts and lecture you on PM!
I see what you did there :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fletchlives wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:40 pm Noreplay, don't make 93bulldog mad he will delete your posts and lecture you on PM!
I won't delete your posts and the PM I sent you was warranted. Doesn't matter, I'm bout done with the state of Ohio. You guys can sit and argue all you want.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Florida will be too hot here soon plus you have to be back for Athens vs Logan at Logan

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 pm Florida will be too hot here soon plus you have to be back for Athens vs Logan at Logan
I can fly back to see that streak end. Haha

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

And you got to help pay for that 90 million dollar school levy Athens will pass :lol:

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Speaking of the levy.... where exactly on the grounds will the new High School be located?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They didn't say but they might have to drag in trailers and do it at the high school

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm I can't believe that we are hearing and seeing this same song and dance again. I don't think it will happen, just because of the average distance added to and from Warren and Marietta.

The problem with this, is that everyone looks at this through the prism of football. You have to take in other considerations, such as JV sports, girls sports, and non-revenue generating sports. Since I coach golf, lets look at that. Would I, or Marietta or Warren's coach, let alone kids, with homework, and other responsibilities, want to board a bus on a Wednesday afternoon, probably missing some instructional time, to get to a match that could be 70 plus miles away?

Personally, I am sorry that SEOAL and ECOL didn't work out. However, why does everyone insist that the TVC just accept it. It wasn't the TVC fault that the SEOAL imploded.

I think from the Vinton County perspective, why vote to have them in to increase travel, not only for the student/athlete, but for our fans also. Plus, with the addition of Warren and Marietta, would probably mean restructuring. Then, basically Vinton County would be in the Old SEOAL.

Athens
Marietta
Meigs
Vinton County
Warren

Might have just as well, ask Gallia and Logan to join.

I am sorry, this is not good for Vinton County on any level. And I, don't think there is a large contingent behind having Warren or Marietta in the TVC. But again, I don't make that decision.
I disagree. It's 65 miles between VC and Warren high schools. Warren was an original member of the TVC, not the Seoal. Also, don't you think Warren vs VC in basketball would be outstanding?? Who wouldn't want to see that twice a year for a Conference championship? What's the the downside to adding Warren only and creating an 8 team TVC Ohio division? We traveled to Barlow from 1969-1986 and it wasn't an issue. What's the difference now?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree Dundas

The uneven teams in football is a scheduling nightmare. Warren is not a dominate D2 school across the board, they will win some league titles in some sports, but will not dominate the landscape.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Thank you for proving my point. I don't care what the exact distance is, or may be, the fact that guys like you look at from the football or boys' basketball prism. There are so many other sports that has to be considered. What the difference is now is fuel prices, first and foremost, this school district uses almost 24,000 gallons a month and at an approximate cost of $72,000. Most buses average 6 miles to the gallon, newer buses may top at 8 mph; so at 65 miles, that is a cost $50 - $64 per trip, not including bus driver wage.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:04 am Thank you for proving my point. I don't care what the exact distance is, or may be, the fact that guys like you look at from the football or boys' basketball prism. There are so many other sports that has to be considered. What the difference is now is fuel prices, first and foremost, this school district uses almost 24,000 gallons a month and at an approximate cost of $72,000. Most buses average 6 miles to the gallon, newer buses may top at 8 mph; so at 65 miles, that is a cost $50 - $64 per trip, not including bus driver wage.

Did Vinton County go bankrupt from 1969-2012 when they traveled to Belpre for every sport?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Since we use so much fuel to get kids to school each month, maybe we should just do away with sports altogether? I'd imagine Logan uses the same amount if not more to bus their kids to school each month. Are they complaining about a 65 mile trip that is 65% 4 lane?

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:04 am Thank you for proving my point. I don't care what the exact distance is, or may be, the fact that guys like you look at from the football or boys' basketball prism. There are so many other sports that has to be considered. What the difference is now is fuel prices, first and foremost, this school district uses almost 24,000 gallons a month and at an approximate cost of $72,000. Most buses average 6 miles to the gallon, newer buses may top at 8 mph; so at 65 miles, that is a cost $50 - $64 per trip, not including bus driver wage.
I am very supportive of your point around fuel costs. Most school districts have a revenue problem. Every school district, companies and families have to deal with inflation. A first class stamp in 2000 cost .33 cents, today it is .49 cents - this is an inflation rate 48.5%. A gallon of gas cost $1.48 in 2000 and is currently at $2.59 - that is an inflation rate of 75%. This affects everyone but school districts are constantly asked to make cuts and most of the cuts are due to the yearly decrease in funding from both the state and federal governments. Lets not forget to factor in unfunded mandates by both the state and federal governments, programs that they dictate that you must have but do not fund.

The thing to remember about the TVC is that this is a high school conference. It has never been and should never be a conference that mandates a junior high conference schedule between members or awards a junior high championship in any sport other than say a end of the season tourney that schools can ELECT to take part in. At the jr high level it is best to play schools that are much closer because what we should be really worried about is getting the kids out to play and get an interest in a sport, not win a conference title. Many school booster groups help offset the transportation costs. I agree that all sports, boys and girls, at the high school level should be taken into consideration in forming a conference or adding members. I just don't agree that the travel time increase for some schools is a major factor in deciding if the TVC adds Warren and Marietta. VC traveled to Warren and vice versa for many many years. This shouldn't be an issue.

Besides, any local BOE can greatly reduce its transportation costs by cutting back to state minimums on transportation, i.e. transport to and from school on a daily basis only those students in grades K-8 that live more than 2 miles, by the way the crow flies, from their school building AND no transportation of any 9-12 students regardless of the distance they live from the school. I am not saying that I advocate this but it is a legal option and one in which I believe Warren's BOE did a few years ago.

If I had a vote I would 100% vote in favor of Warren into the TVC to balance out the TVC Ohio and I could easily consider a yes vote for Marietta as well provided that the TVC go to 3 divisions of reduced size that would decrease the number of conference games and increase the number of non-conference games that in turn would hopefully allow a schedule that could include closer, non-conference schools that may very well help with travel costs/concerns AND increase gate receipts.

Just my honest opinion.

Return to “Football”