2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

Ironmen44
JV Team

Re: 2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

Post by Ironmen44 »

Gotcha, those guys graduated in 2012 with Osborne and Ervin. Ironmen fan here and hope for a 10-0 season but feel this team is going to have some trying times.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironmen44 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 pm Gotcha, those guys graduated in 2012 with Osborne and Ervin. Ironmen fan here and hope for a 10-0 season but feel this team is going to have some trying times.

Good to be the underdog

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

To my point, it’s been along time since the Ironmen were the underdogs

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironmen44 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm To my point, it’s been along time since the Ironmen were the underdogs
Yeah we’ll see. I doubt they’re as bad as the 2012 - 2013 era teams .

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Maybe based on record but this team is weaker than those teams. As you said, we’ll see.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironmen44 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 pm Maybe based on record but this team is weaker than those teams. As you said, we’ll see.
I don’t see that. Anytime they played anyone with any talent they got rolled . Only beat the bums. I was at every game as I’m sure you had a good view from where you were at.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 pm I couldn’t gather a ton from the scrimmage. Hopefully the coaching staff got to see a lot of what they needed to. Offense completely vanilla I thought and without identity....but it’s a first scrimmage too. Defense legit and some serious mashers. A ton of kids were in and out of offensive line, that will clear up as the practices continue. I think Reece Graham with a couple more weeks of practices and getting back to football could fill a void there, but so might several others.

Ice had some nice passes and runs. I thought Jayden Spires and Bryce Parks were excellent and on both side of the ball. Yates had some real nice plays. Matt Humphreys was known on defense and I thought younger brother Caden looked good. Ty Ruckel solid on both sides of ball.

Reserve offense both Evan Spires and Drew Bragg looked solid at QB and Tristan Prater displayed his ball skills.

Not sure I noticed Brice Graham or Caleb Haller get a carry?
This was the first scrimmage, but offense needs to find a true identity, Ice threw the ball really well and running the ball great, was afraid to deliver a hit. I think throwing the ball will be there. Running the ball will be somewhat a problem until the O-line gets in a groove, which I think they will be by the 2nd scrimmage hopefully. Jayden Spires really done a good job and played well on both sides of the ball. Parks did really well on defense, on offense I do not see him in the back field. it looked like he hasn’t ran the ball in a good while, missed some blocks. Both Humphreys played really well on defense, I see Caden getting some varsity time this year. Yates ran the ball well, but his defense was very good. Getting downhill in a hurry and swarming to the ball. Evans really did good job on both sides of the ball, good job with running in open spaces.

Haller did not get one carry in the back field at all and a lot of people was disappointed in that I could see and hear from others. I was very shocked. he is should be in the backfield as a strong and aggressive runner he is, and but when they spread the ball out, I do like him in there at TE switch with Davis.
Graham got a sweep out that he looked good on until he got popped. but he I foresee them using him more as a receiver this year.

next week is a bigger test since they go up to new Lexington, bigger and stronger team than Portsmouth West was, that will give the coaches a good real look as to how the team is and get a better observation.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Haller is a football player and can’t be on the sideline . If he’s not going to get any carries put him at guard. The line is in rebuild mode ,
To have a thumper like haller watching is asinine.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:01 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 pm I couldn’t gather a ton from the scrimmage. Hopefully the coaching staff got to see a lot of what they needed to. Offense completely vanilla I thought and without identity....but it’s a first scrimmage too. Defense legit and some serious mashers. A ton of kids were in and out of offensive line, that will clear up as the practices continue. I think Reece Graham with a couple more weeks of practices and getting back to football could fill a void there, but so might several others.

Ice had some nice passes and runs. I thought Jayden Spires and Bryce Parks were excellent and on both side of the ball. Yates had some real nice plays. Matt Humphreys was known on defense and I thought younger brother Caden looked good. Ty Ruckel solid on both sides of ball.

Reserve offense both Evan Spires and Drew Bragg looked solid at QB and Tristan Prater displayed his ball skills.

This was the first scrimmage, but offense needs to find a true identity, Ice threw the ball really well and running the ball great, was afraid to deliver a hit. I think throwing the ball will be there. Running the ball will be somewhat a problem until the O-line gets in a groove, which I think they will be by the 2nd scrimmage hopefully. Jayden Spires really done a good job and played well on both sides of the ball. Parks did really well on defense, on offense I do not see him in the back field. it looked like he hasn’t ran the ball in a good while, missed some blocks. Both Humphreys played really well on defense, I see Caden getting some varsity time this year. Yates ran the ball well, but his defense was very good. Getting downhill in a hurry and swarming to the ball. Evans really did good job on both sides of the ball, good job with running in open spaces.

Haller did not get one carry in the back field at all and a lot of people was disappointed in that I could see and hear from others. I was very shocked. he is should be in the backfield as a strong and aggressive runner he is, and but when they spread the ball out, I do like him in there at TE switch with Davis.
Graham got a sweep out that he looked good on until he got popped. but he I foresee them using him more as a receiver this year.

next week is a bigger test since they go up to new Lexington, bigger and stronger team than Portsmouth West was, that will give the coaches a good real look as to how the team is and get a better observation.
I’m not arguing because I don’t know...but is New Lex bigger and stronger than West? New Lex was 3-7 last year and PWest seems to always be in week 12.

I’m not privy to the plans and I honestly am not savvy of x’s and o’s. From my years of watching as a fan Hall seems to hold back and show very little. I was shocked Haller nor Graham got any carries north and south. If you told me after week 10 Jackson would have any one of :Graham, Yates, Spires, Haller, Landrum, Evans, Parks, Icenhower would be over 700 yards...I’d buy in for any of those if given the necessary carries.

I thought Parks looked like an Ironmen running back...great blocking or not, screw it....I’m going and good luck tackling me. Spires definitely has that look too. I thought Haller last year and as a sophomore had that animal look...Graham has that capability too. I’ve said in previous posts that Jackson is like Linebacker U....but we don’t need 9 LB’s....gotta have those kids on the field elsewhere. It’s similar at RB....8-9 kids could be really good but is it truly feasible more than at most 3-4 get significant touches?

It just looks to me (as a former golfer :D ) that those kids that aren’t getting those touches could be put into the offensive line and help solidify it.To me that would be the ultimate Ironmen contribution to the team.

I’ll share a personal story that I will warn includes a humble brag :) .....back in 2013 our softball team was going along ok, something close to 11-7, lineup was loaded and we played a tough schedule but we were struggling in CF. My daughter was the senior second baseman and had been since day 1 as a freshman ...over 90 starts at 2nd base, she was THE second baseman—all SEOAL and all-District to show. Coach needed a CF though. Ball wasn’t being hit to 2nd a ton and CF was our weak link due to graduation of an all district CF. Coach asked another player to go to CF, she would’ve been the best but she wasn’t an outfielder....he asked my daughter and she said absolutely....3 gsmes left in regular season and then tournament...we were the #6 seed and rolled through to the regional finals and got nipped by the eventual state champ. Once she moved for the better of the team....they never looked back. I strongly feel this could be a similar situation and happening. I may be wrong...I’m wrong all the time, but this is how I see it.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I’m not arguing because I don’t know...but is New Lex bigger and stronger than West? New Lex was 3-7 last year and PWest seems to always be in week 12.

I’m not privy to the plans and I honestly am not savvy of x’s and o’s. From my years of watching as a fan Hall seems to hold back and show very little. I was shocked Haller nor Graham got any carries north and south. If you told me after week 10 Jackson would have any one of :Graham, Yates, Spires, Haller, Landrum, Evans, Parks, Icenhower would be over 700 yards...I’d buy in for any of those if given the necessary carries.

I thought Parks looked like an Ironmen running back...great blocking or not, screw it....I’m going and good luck tackling me. Spires definitely has that look too. I thought Haller last year and as a sophomore had that animal look...Graham has that capability too. I’ve said in previous posts that Jackson is like Linebacker U....but we don’t need 9 LB’s....gotta have those kids on the field elsewhere. It’s similar at RB....8-9 kids could be really good but is it truly feasible more than at most 3-4 get significant touches?

It just looks to me (as a former golfer :D ) that those kids that aren’t getting those touches could be put into the offensive line and help solidify it.To me that would be the ultimate Ironmen contribution to the team.

I’ll share a personal story that I will warn includes a humble brag :) .....back in 2013 our softball team was going along ok, something close to 11-7, lineup was loaded and we played a tough schedule but we were struggling in CF. My daughter was the senior second baseman and had been since day 1 as a freshman ...over 90 starts at 2nd base, she was THE second baseman—all SEOAL and all-District to show. Coach needed a CF though. Ball wasn’t being hit to 2nd a ton and CF was our weak link due to graduation of an all district CF. Coach asked another player to go to CF, she would’ve been the best but she wasn’t an outfielder....he asked my daughter and she said absolutely....3 gsmes left in regular season and then tournament...we were the #6 seed and rolled through to the regional finals and got nipped by the eventual state champ. Once she moved for the better of the team....they never looked back. I strongly feel this could be a similar situation and happening. I may be wrong...I’m wrong all the time, but this is how I see it.
No nothing about new lex but west was 9-0 going into week 10 last year. Finished 10-2 and I think they return a lot of kids

14U
S

Post by 14U »

West is a good team with all skill players back with most line. West went 9-1 regular season and 1-1 in playoffs. So if you they Jackson wasn’t up to what you thought it might be because who they played. Next outing will let you know how the boys from Jackson is. By they way who they play next?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I agree, you gotta have your best athletes on the field no matter of the position they need to play. No one plays at the next level for being a 5-star towel holder. Lol

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm Haller is a football player and can’t be on the sideline . If he’s not going to get any carries put him at guard. The line is in rebuild mode ,
He is a stud of a football, just not getting the opportunity. I agree, he shouldn't be on the sideline, but you cant put him on the line. He has too good of hands out of the backfield, probably the best blocking back they have. runs very aggressive north and south. I agree the line is in a rebuilding year but their are plenty of other mules to put on the line. I think they are going to use him at some TE this year but I think he should be the #1 ball carrier. I was told he worked his butt off all summer because he wanted to be the #1 guy this year. how would you feel being on varsity since your sophomore year then your senior year, your the guy and someone else comes in a gets your spot before contact starts and before the first scrimmage or game, how would you feel?

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

14U wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:58 pm West is a good team with all skill players back with most line. West went 9-1 regular season and 1-1 in playoffs. So if you they Jackson wasn’t up to what you thought it might be because who they played. Next outing will let you know how the boys from Jackson is. By they way who they play next?
they are a very good team West is, have been the past few years. good Program. Jackson scrimmages New Lex. Bigger school and more kids to pull from, but they didn't have a good year last year 3-7 but look at who they play tho in their conference, new year and new coach this year. let me ask you this fellas, put West in New Lex league which includes West Muskingum, Tri-Valley, Sheridan, Morgan, Maysville, John Glenn, and Philo, 2020 Meadowbrook, Coshocton, and River view. what would Wests record be then? also, how would west fair in a actual game against Jackson week 4 or 5, who would you take?

West is 2 divisions smaller than Jackson, same as burg. Jackson has played in the past including playoffs, Eaton, Columbus St. DeSales, Zanesville, Cabell Midland(WV), St. Charles, Granville, Winton Woods, Jonathan Alder, Athens(Burrow Years), Columbus Bexley, West Jefferson, and more to come, plus not including the rest of the schools in the Division ...if everyone says burg or west are as good as they say they are, why don't they schedule some of these schools or schools close to these caliber and play them? Jackson plays tough teams, and tries to always schedule tougher teams each year. just trying to make a point is.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 am
14U wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:58 pm West is a good team with all skill players back with most line. West went 9-1 regular season and 1-1 in playoffs. So if you they Jackson wasn’t up to what you thought it might be because who they played. Next outing will let you know how the boys from Jackson is. By they way who they play next?
they are a very good team West is, have been the past few years. good Program. Jackson scrimmages New Lex. Bigger school and more kids to pull from, but they didn't have a good year last year 3-7 but look at who they play tho in their conference, new year and new coach this year. let me ask you this fellas, put West in New Lex league which includes West Muskingum, Tri-Valley, Sheridan, Morgan, Maysville, John Glenn, and Philo, 2020 Meadowbrook, Coshocton, and River view. what would Wests record be then? also, how would west fair in a actual game against Jackson week 4 or 5, who would you take?

West is 2 divisions smaller than Jackson, same as burg. Jackson has played in the past including playoffs, Eaton, Columbus St. DeSales, Zanesville, Cabell Midland(WV), St. Charles, Granville, Winton Woods, Jonathan Alder, Athens(Burrow Years), Columbus Bexley, West Jefferson, and more to come, plus not including the rest of the schools in the Division ...if everyone says burg or west are as good as they say they are, why don't they schedule some of these schools or schools close to these caliber and play them? Jackson plays tough teams, and tries to always schedule tougher teams each year. just trying to make a point is.
Burg tries to schedule teams around that is good but teams refuse to play them. How I know is burg fans on here say they try to schedule but get shot down, don’t think they make it up!! Also who was to drive 2-4 hrs. West hasn’t had the run burg has for 40 plus years, so they can find teams locally or closer. I know one thing, SOC II is going to be tough as nails this year!

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm Haller is a football player and can’t be on the sideline . If he’s not going to get any carries put him at guard. The line is in rebuild mode ,
He is a stud of a football, just not getting the opportunity. I agree, he shouldn't be on the sideline, but you cant put him on the line. He has too good of hands out of the backfield, probably the best blocking back they have. runs very aggressive north and south. I agree the line is in a rebuilding year but their are plenty of other mules to put on the line. I think they are going to use him at some TE this year but I think he should be the #1 ball carrier. I was told he worked his butt off all summer because he wanted to be the #1 guy this year. how would you feel being on varsity since your sophomore year then your senior year, your the guy and someone else comes in a gets your spot before contact starts and before the first scrimmage or game, how would you feel?
As an 18 year old I would feel screwed a bit, but as a 53 year old that sounds like life to me. Great hear he’s worked hard. I respect anyone that works hard but sometimes you don’t get the job. If it were me I’d wanna be on the field. I don’t know much of the situation or kids at all but I hope he enjoys his senior year.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Vintage Jackson fanbase smh, dads and grandpas all up in arms after a couple passing scrimmages have been plyed lol.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 pm Vintage Jackson fanbase smh, dads and grandpas all up in arms after a couple passing scrimmages have been plyed lol.
Or 1 person...and not sure up
In arms is the best description

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

14U wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 am

Burg tries to schedule teams around that is good but teams refuse to play them. How I know is burg fans on here say they try to schedule but get shot down, don’t think they make it up!! Also who was to drive 2-4 hrs. West hasn’t had the run burg has for 40 plus years, so they can find teams locally or closer. I know one thing, SOC II is going to be tough as nails this year!
mostly because they are a Div. 5 school, they are probably look at it in the long run, they are asking "can this team help us with playoff points or be competitive against us?" if burg is truly trying to schedule Div. I, II, or III schools. those bigger schools unlike the ones that are familiar with burg are probably thinking that and asking that. Now that they won another state title, id say teams may start scheduling them. but you have to schedule a 2 yr contract with bigger schools and be willing to travel 2 hours if you wanna play better competition, nothing wrong with having 2 year contracts with schools or even a 4 year contracts with them.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Ed Ott wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am
As an 18 year old I would feel screwed a bit, but as a 53 year old that sounds like life to me. Great hear he’s worked hard. I respect anyone that works hard but sometimes you don’t get the job. If it were me I’d wanna be on the field. I don’t know much of the situation or kids at all but I hope he enjoys his senior year.
I would be pissed off too. this is me, but that kid that has put blood and sweat into the program still deserves the chance to play at the same position, now he may not get 60% or 75% of the carries but he's still a factor on the team and the field and getting maybe 45% of the carries, if a player transfer in from another school.

Return to “Football”