81%
Piketon
19%

Total votes: 37

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: WK1 2018 Waverly @ Piketon

Post by smurray »

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm Would like to see a close game but I’ve seen piketon and the way the waverly fans talk they are loaded this year so doubt this stays close.
Not sure we said the Tigers are “loaded”.
With many thinking Waverly would be in a rebuilding year due to the loss of Howell and some other key players I said the Tigers have reloaded and are deeper, more athletic and has better overall team speed than last year.
The biggest question mark coming into the season was/is at QB but Shanks has been impressive so far. Granted, he hasn’t started in game that matters yet but he has done everything he has been asked/called to do.
We will find out even more about the young man Friday night.
Waverly lost a very good RB in Kritzwiser but have a 1 - 2 punch in Payton Shoemaker and Ethan Brooker. Two very solid running backs with a lot of speed.
The targets of Shanks’ passes are as good as any “group” the Tigers have had for a while.
Seniors Easton Wolfe and Cobe Marquez are joined by Sophomores Phoenix Wolfe and Zeke Brown & Freshman Will Futhey. Covering these 5 will be a challenge. Sophomores Jackson Wise & Jaxson Poe look to see some action as well.
Waverly lost some key lineman but return a few seniors on the OL in Macayne Bock, Clay Minor and Braydon Snodgrass as well as Junior Zack Brown & Sophomore Andrew Welch. Not sure who else will be seeing time on the OL, not sure who the starting 5 are - others than who I mentioned will rotate in.

So, not saying the Tigers are “loaded”, just think they are deeper and more athletic than a year ago. Will that translate in to more wins with the schedule they play - that remains to be seen.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

A couple of things I'm hearing at work concerning this game:
Grooms has to sit out the first 5 games because he transferred to Eastern (before the transfer rule change) then transferred back to Piketon;
The Shoemaker kid is legit. However, he transferred to Waverly from Chillicothe but lives in Piketon? What's up with this?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Big Bob wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 am A couple of things I'm hearing at work concerning this game:
Grooms has to sit out the first 5 games because he transferred to Eastern (before the transfer rule change) then transferred back to Piketon;
The Shoemaker kid is legit. However, he transferred to Waverly from Chillicothe but lives in Piketon? What's up with this?
I believe his Dad rented a place in Waverly to make the transfer legit. Shame about the Grooms kid. Questionably piketons biggest offensive threat.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Big Bob wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 am A couple of things I'm hearing at work concerning this game:
After allegations of when they moved and where, our investigative team has discovered they have a home in Waverly and have been seen in the neighborhood - walking about the streets. Now, maybe Meyer knew of the move but his superior Gene Smith knew as well so what else was Meyer to do?
After an exhaustive executive session with the investigative team it has been determined Shoemaker followed protocol.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 am
After allegations of when they moved and where, our investigative team has discovered they have a home in Waverly and have been seen in the neighborhood - walking about the streets. Now, maybe Meyer knew of the move but his superior Gene Smith knew as well so what else was Meyer to do?
After an exhaustive executive session with the investigative team it has been determined Shoemaker followed protocol.
Good work Smurray

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Hate to hear that Grooms won't be available for this one. It just seems like the closer we get to this game, the more I am starting to believe this one won't be close.. But you never know.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I’m with ya! We’re definitely gonna have our work cut out tomorrow night.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

smurray wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm Would like to see a close game but I’ve seen piketon and the way the waverly fans talk they are loaded this year so doubt this stays close.
With many thinking Waverly would be in a rebuilding year due to the loss of Howell and some other key players I said the Tigers have reloaded and are deeper, more athletic and has better overall team speed than last year.
The biggest question mark coming into the season was/is at QB but Shanks has been impressive so far. Granted, he hasn’t started in game that matters yet but he has done everything he has been asked/called to do.
Waverly lost a very good RB in Kritzwiser but have a 1 - 2 punch in Payton Shoemaker and Ethan Brooker. Two very solid running backs with a lot of speed.
The targets of Shanks’ passes are as good as any “group” the Tigers have had for a while.
Seniors Easton Wolfe and Cobe Marquez are joined by Sophomores Phoenix Wolfe and Zeke Brown & Freshman Will Futhey. Covering these 5 will be a challenge. Sophomores Jackson Wise & Jaxson Poe look to see some action as well.
Waverly lost some key lineman but return a few seniors on the OL in Macayne Bock, Clay Minor and Braydon Snodgrass as well as Junior Zack Brown & Sophomore Andrew Welch. Not sure who else will be seeing time on the OL, not sure who the starting 5 are - others than who I mentioned will rotate in.

So, not saying the Tigers are “loaded”, just think they are deeper and more athletic than a year ago. Will that translate in to more wins with the schedule they play - that remains to be seen.
Saw Zack Brown (returning LB and OL) on crutches last night. Gonna see some of that depth sooner than we hoped. Hopefully next in line is ready to go.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

OldTiger wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Saw Zack Brown (returning LB and OL) on crutches last night. Gonna see some of that depth sooner than we hoped. Hopefully next in line is ready to go.
Hopefully the injury is nothing major, hate to see kids go down before the season even begins. If he is out for tomorrow, I don't know how much him not being there will impact the outcome. But if he is to miss serious time, this will be hurtful down the line.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am This is the same coaching staff for the most part that took the 2012 team to the playoffs. I would be curious to see if the numbers in their pee wee and jr. high programs have been declining. Just wondering where that drop off is happening at, is it that kids just aren't playing at all starting at the bottom or is it that once they get to high school they are choosing to not come out. It is common to see a program go thru a stretch of low numbers if they are stringing together a couple of seasons of not having a winning record. They have been competitive the past two seasons in the SVC tho, being 4-3 last year and 5-2 in 2016.
In the flag 3rd grade there are 14, 3 are 4th graders who didnt want to play in the tackle with the 5th and 6th grade. It is the first year for flag, and we keep getting a couple of kids each week, started with 9 two weeks ago and have added 5 and I anticipate adding several more before the first game on 9-8. At practice Tuesday, I counted 24 5th and 6th graders, which I believe has a couple are current 4th graders playing up. Junior high at practice the other day had 25.

Having coached pee wee and junior high at Piketon for the last 20 years, those are average numbers for each grade level, around 10-14. When the group of Tackett twins, Southworth and that group came through, those few years we averaged about 15 per grade level, since then the only grade that comes that close is the current freshmen class my son plays in. That group has consistently had 16 plus since they started in 3rd grade.

All it takes is for one or two classes with lower turnout to make it look like numbers are low. Coach Gullion for the last several years has had around 50 to high 40's at the high school level.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:31 pm
OldTiger wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Hopefully the injury is nothing major, hate to see kids go down before the season even begins. If he is out for tomorrow, I don't know how much him not being there will impact the outcome. But if he is to miss serious time, this will be hurtful down the line.
Ya, I believe he's either going or has already gone for an MRI. I would hope he has gone already.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Anyone living in Beekman place can tell you Shoemakers are living there. Everyone should have to play by same rules.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Piketon wins this game in a landslide

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am This is the same coaching staff for the most part that took the 2012 team to the playoffs. I would be curious to see if the numbers in their pee wee and jr. high programs have been declining. Just wondering where that drop off is happening at, is it that kids just aren't playing at all starting at the bottom or is it that once they get to high school they are choosing to not come out. It is common to see a program go thru a stretch of low numbers if they are stringing together a couple of seasons of not having a winning record. They have been competitive the past two seasons in the SVC tho, being 4-3 last year and 5-2 in 2016.
In the flag 3rd grade there are 14, 3 are 4th graders who didnt want to play in the tackle with the 5th and 6th grade. It is the first year for flag, and we keep getting a couple of kids each week, started with 9 two weeks ago and have added 5 and I anticipate adding several more before the first game on 9-8. At practice Tuesday, I counted 24 5th and 6th graders, which I believe has a couple are current 4th graders playing up. Junior high at practice the other day had 25.

Having coached pee wee and junior high at Piketon for the last 20 years, those are average numbers for each grade level, around 10-14. When the group of Tackett twins, Southworth and that group came through, those few years we averaged about 15 per grade level, since then the only grade that comes that close is the current freshmen class my son plays in. That group has consistently had 16 plus since they started in 3rd grade.

All it takes is for one or two classes with lower turnout to make it look like numbers are low. Coach Gullion for the last several years has had around 50 to high 40's at the high school level.
Must have been some missing from the 5th and 6th grade team they had 32 in pads today.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Yeah shoemaker boy has checked out, school administrators have to check on that address to verify living arrangements same thing with Yates in Jackson. Believe it's at least 3 or 4 nights out of the week they need to be staying all night. I see the grooms information is getting around now, if it holds true piketon has known and I'm sure they've been gameplanning without him. Just hard to replace a guy of grooms caliber piketon will really need to lean on the run to stay in this one.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I know the Piketon coaching staff has known Grooms will be out and are prepared to play without him. I have heard the reason he has to sit out is because the OHSAA stepped in and said it looked like he was moving just because of sports, since he has switched schools so many times in a short period.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

game time

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

Re: Grooms shouldn't he sit second half?

Issue 4 B – Amend Bylaw 4-7-2 – Transfer

Permit a transfer student who does not meet an exception to be eligible insofar as transfer is concerned for all contests ONLY until the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests have been competed in any sport the student played in the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer. Thereafter, the student shall be ineligible for the remainder of the regular season contests AND the OHSAA sponsored tournament in that sport (s).

Passed 450-244, effective date May 16, 2018

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 616651002/

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Bigdog wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 am Re: Grooms shouldn't he sit second half?

Issue 4 B – Amend Bylaw 4-7-2 – Transfer

Permit a transfer student who does not meet an exception to be eligible insofar as transfer is concerned for all contests ONLY until the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests have been competed in any sport the student played in the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer. Thereafter, the student shall be ineligible for the remainder of the regular season contests AND the OHSAA sponsored tournament in that sport (s).

Passed 450-244, effective date May 16, 2018

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 616651002/
The situation occurred before the may 16 change, so it falls under the old rules.

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

Thank you, wasn't aware of that detail. Make sense now I guess.

Return to “Football”