Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Post by Ukfanatic »

Thanks Ironman92. He is a good kid. He just preached his first sermon in January. Taking after the old man I guess!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm Thanks Ironman92. He is a good kid. He just preached his first sermon in January. Taking after the old man I guess!
Oh wow! I bet he’d get along great with my kid. They sound similar

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Hopefully we will be at some track meets together this year

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:30 pm Hopefully we will be at some track meets together this year
Definitely a few

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm This happened to me, a couple of years ago while attending a Warren game at the Warrior Dome ... a little background - I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer back in 2010 ... I had battled for 6 years - many treatments, hospital stays at the James, surgeries ... back in 2016, they had found something more in my January scan ... they wanted me back for another scan in March ... between the January CT scans and the March CT scans I was doing what I have done for 19 years - go to high school basketball games/reporting on high school basketball games ... the act of kindness/selflessness that took place at/after the Warren vs Athens game that night - a greater act of sportsmanship/kindness by a Coaching staff/basketball team I have never known - will ALWAYS remember that night for as long as I live ... here's my post from after the game :

... it's not a secret - pfloyd is a big fan of the Warren Warriors - have been for 15 years or so ... Coach Maddox and I both taught at Logan High School in the same department before Coach Maddox took his coaching/teaching talents to Warren Local - Logan's loss for sure ... we have been friends forever it seems ... I have always had great respect for Coach Maddox as a person, a teacher and a friend for 30 years - tonight , after the Warren , Athens game Coach Maddox & his staff only solidified that respect ...

... I always try to at least say hello to Coach Maddox whenever I'm at the Warrior Dome - it's what friends do ... I did so tonight as well - we talked hoops - I gave him the scoop on Fairfield Union & the transfer PG , Blane yelled at me for NOT letting him know I was in the gym for the Parkersburg game Tuesday night ... i returned to my cheap seat location ... as the game progressed through the first half ... Blane's wife Sally who was sitting in front of me , returned to her seat and told me that Coach Maddox wanted to see me following the game - win or lose ... okay ... the game got into the 4th quarter ... it got a little chippy when a couple of Athens players took down a Warren player - 2 Warren technicals were called one on a player who simply said what EVERYONE in the gym said when he saw how hard the tackle was of his teammate = technical #1 ... Coach Maddox had a few words with an official = technical #2 ... the game continued , Warren pushed out to nearly a 20 point lead ... with 30 seconds or so left in the game I'm writing down Napkin Stats and I hear Coach Maddox yelling my name from the bench !!! for a second I thought " Coach ! I don't have any eligibility left !" ... I told the folks around me " he wants to yell at me and blame the technical on me - I didn't say anything Coach Maddox !!!" ... he yells for me to go to the Warren locker room after the game ... ??????

I walked into the locker room the Warriors , Coach Maddox & coaching staff celebrating the "W" over Athens ... I then heard Coach Maddox introduce me to the team, he introduced me as his long time friend, that the players know me by my internet/seops name but he knows me as Mike ... he informed the players that I was battling cancer again ... asked them if they would join hands with him, me and the coaching staff to pray for me, pfloyd ... he asked me if that would be alright ... right there in the locker room , where but seconds before the Warriors were celebrating ... Coach Maddox explained to his young men that he KNEW that with his, his players prayers I could beat cancer ... I had tears in my eyes the whole time as Coach Jack Colgrove - with the entire Warrior family holding hands in a circle with pfloyd - led the team in praying for pfloyd ...

... players who had just worked their butts off on the floor for 32 minutes were now learning a life lesson from Coach Maddox ... that basketball as important to them at that time is what it is - a game ... that there are things bigger and more important than basketball ... Coach mentioned that the kids themselves knew of family/friends who were affected by cancer ... not too many dry eyes in that locker room ... it was my pleasure to shake those kids hands after the "Amen" in unison ... I thanked them all ...

... I just want to thank Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Coffman, Coach Colgrove and every single one of those Warren players for giving this old man, pfloyd , a memory that I will take with me forever ... I WILL beat this terrible disease ... cancer has no chance - I have the Big Bad Blue fighting for me ! ... Life IS worth Living ... #livinglifeonMYterms

pfloyd ...
man... stop cutting onions in here
truly incredible story

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Lynchburg-Clay Coach. Coach Carson I believe. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

As he’s leaving tonight — after a loss — in the middle of a tough season — went out of his way to be complimentary to our family and impressed the heck out of my wife and our extended family who were in attendance tonight.

The way you act when you lose says a great deal about you. Coach — you have people from Washington Court House rooting for you and your team from here on out.

Total class act.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 pm Lynchburg-Clay Coach. Coach Carson I believe. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

As he’s leaving tonight — after a loss — in the middle of a tough season — went out of his way to be complimentary to our family and impressed the heck out of my wife and our extended family who were in attendance tonight.

The way you act when you lose says a great deal about you. Coach — you have people from Washington Court House rooting for you and your team from here on out.

Total class act.
He’s a good guy for sure.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd's courage in facing a cancer diagnosis will always be remembered by me. He never let his situation take him away from the game he loves, nor did his demeanor reflect the seriousness of his ordeal. He was always upbeat and willing to talk basketball with anyone. His stared down death and won. If I ever face a similar situation, I hope that I can follow his example, and always put my faith in God first and foremost.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm Pfloyd's courage in facing a cancer diagnosis will always be remembered by me. He never let his situation take him away from the game he loves, nor did his demeanor reflect the seriousness of his ordeal. He was always upbeat and willing to talk basketball with anyone. His stared down death and won. If I ever face a similar situation, I hope that I can follow his example, and always put my faith in God first and foremost.
... Thank you trojandave - you and so many on seops were there with me every step of that battle - you supported me through all of the losses , all of the wins , the 2 steps forward one step backward battle - I will always stand with you as my friend ... I have always said and truly believe that the support I was shown on here helped give me the mental/physical strength to get through the most difficult battle of my life FOR MY LIFE - YOU and so many on seops will always hold a special place with me ... I pray that no one on seops has to go through their own battle BUT should they ... I, pfloyd, will be the first to provide support, prayers and anything else I can ... #Iwillneverforget

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

se-alum wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am Just this passed weekend, all SVC teams and Chillicothe wore Kunkel Strong t-shirts during warmups to support Eli Kunkel, a 2015 Adena Graduate and standout baseball player, who was recently diagnosed with a fatal brain disease(Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), and is not given much time to live. A great showing of support from the entire area.
Our community is great in the Scioto valley and the village is a great place to live. Thank you to everyone.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

warrior1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 pm
se-alum wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am Just this passed weekend, all SVC teams and Chillicothe wore Kunkel Strong t-shirts during warmups to support Eli Kunkel, a 2015 Adena Graduate and standout baseball player, who was recently diagnosed with a fatal brain disease(Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), and is not given much time to live. A great showing of support from the entire area.
Our community is great in the Scioto valley and the village is a great place to live. Thank you to everyone.
It is a special league

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

This may be the best topic I've ever seen on this site....thanks Ironman. Although I don't personally know many on here, I certainly appreciate all of your opinions and know that we are all bound by our love for high school sports and the stories and people that go with them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm This may be the best topic I've ever seen on this site....thanks Ironman. Although I don't personally know many on here, I certainly appreciate all of your opinions and know that we are all bound by our love for high school sports and the stories and people that go with them.
Thank You...I’m far from always positive but I thought a thread like this was needed. More threads to follow.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman 92,
I wish that I could remember all the details so that I could tell about it, I think that mayby you will remember. I'm pretty sure it involved the Northwest High School Football Team. I can't remember what area team they were playing, but from what I can remember, both coaches from each team, plus the officals, arranged at the end of the game, to have this kid run the ball for mayby a touchdown. I may be wrong about the details, and if you don't recall, mayby someone else will.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 pm Ironman 92,
I wish that I could remember all the details so that I could tell about it, I think that mayby you will remember. I'm pretty sure it involved the Northwest High School Football Team. I can't remember what area team they were playing, but from what I can remember, both coaches from each team, plus the officals, arranged at the end of the game, to have this kid run the ball for mayby a touchdown. I may be wrong about the details, and if you don't recall, mayby someone else will.
2002 against Waverly.

It was a really cool and touching moment for sure. I’m glad you brought it up!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oh no doubt. Jake Porter up on the ESPY stage. Yeah that story is #1 to the feels. I go look at that ESPY in the trophy case every year I make it to NW which is most years. An all-time moment.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 pm
Oh no doubt. Jake Porter up on the ESPY stage. Yeah that story is #1 to the feels. I go look at that ESPY in the trophy case every year I make it to NW which is most years. An all-time moment.
Yes, it was a magical moment. I was actually an assistant coach at Waverly at the time. My old college teammate Derek DeWitt was the head coach. Derek had spoken to Dave Franz (head coach at Northwest at the time and now the AD...fantastic guy) before the game and Dave said if the game gets out of hand he wanted to put Jake in for a play or two (had no intention of him carrying the ball). Jake had a rare disorder that prevented him from playing athletics, but was around all the sports and was loved by the kids and the Mohawk coaches. When the time came, a timeout was called (can't remember who called it), but both coaches were out in the middle of the field discussing something and it kind of looked like they were arguing (they weren't). Derek was telling Dave he wanted Jake to get the ball and score and Dave was saying no you don't have to do that (I think we had a shutout going at the time). Well, Derek won lol, and the rest is Espy history. Jake took the handoff and our guys were diving at his feet and he went the distance. It was like he won the Super Bowl...wasn't a dry eye on our sideline.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

bump

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

TTT

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I played for Eastern Pike in 1999 for coach Caldwell,I was a senior.. I had a teammate named Josh who was a starter and a good player,he averaged double figures in scoring that year as a Jr. Eastern had alot coming back the following year including Josh,but doctors discovered that he had a heart condition and he was told he couldn't play his Sr year. Eastern went onto a good season with 15 wins and a trip to the Convo. Josh dressed all year and on senior night,Coach put Josh in the game with about a minute left to finish his career at Eastern on the floor..With crowd giving him a standing ovation,Coach told him just take it easy as he was just hoping and expecting him to just maybe get a shot up..well Josh got a shot up, made it, started pressing full court,got a steal and a layup,Crowd went nuts, pretty cool moment to see ..so much for taking it easy lol.

Return to “Boys Basketball”