When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

Westfan
SEOP

Re: When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

Post by Westfan »

southern_ohio_fan wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 pm
Westfan wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am I've made a couple posts on this subject and I just want to clarify my feeling about it. I thought when Oak Hill played down it was wrong. I know alot of Northwest people and I understand the reasoning of doing it. But moving down shouldn't have been allowed. They should have went independent or asked for a temporary leave of absence. At that point if the SOC I schools wanted to play them non-conference they could. But they shouldn't be made to and they most definitely shouldn't loose a chance at a league title to a team that has no business size wise in their league. As was stated, whomever finishes 2nd in the league this year is getting cheated out of a Gold Football. It's not the fault of those tiny schools that Northwest wasn't good at football.
So, Oak Hill should give up all those SOC I championships from the past decade? No one complained when Northwest wasn't competitive in the SOC I. Now that they are, the world is ending. No one is getting cheated out of anything. Those players and coaches have worked for everything they are accomplishing.
I posted on here years ago that Oak Hill should of been moved up and I said from the beginning that moving Northwest down was wrong

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

The problem is that Northwest historically has been one of if not the worst football program in southern ohio. Bill has done a great job with them this year but can it be sustained. What would there record be if they were still in SOC 2. I don't think they would be competitive with Wheelersburg, Waverly, or Minford. Maybe competitive with West and Valley.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 am The problem is that Northwest historically has been one of if not the worst football program in southern ohio. Bill has done a great job with them this year but can it be sustained. What would there record be if they were still in SOC 2. I don't think they would be competitive with Wheelersburg, Waverly, or Minford. Maybe competitive with West and Valley.
Valley beat them 21-14 in OT, West is down this year so they could compete with them but in about 2-3 years West is probably going to own the SOC play for a couple years. Oak Hill beat NW 42-25 this year as well. It is hard to compare this year though as NW has but 15 juniors and seniors and 40 or so freshman and sophomores not to mention a class of around 16-17, 8th graders coming up next year as well. They've got a nice turn around and it is time to move on if you're Northwest. If nothing more than the fact that with these quality teams they should have coming up they'll never see the playoffs playing in SOCI. I mean they're currently 5-3 and sitting at #13 in their region. Even with SV sitting at probably 8-1 going into week 10 against NW, that might not be enough still to get them in the playoffs.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:11 am
Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 am The problem is that Northwest historically has been one of if not the worst football program in southern ohio. Bill has done a great job with them this year but can it be sustained. What would there record be if they were still in SOC 2. I don't think they would be competitive with Wheelersburg, Waverly, or Minford. Maybe competitive with West and Valley.
Valley beat them 21-14 in OT, West is down this year so they could compete with them but in about 2-3 years West is probably going to own the SOC play for a couple years. Oak Hill beat NW 42-25 this year as well. It is hard to compare this year though as NW has but 15 juniors and seniors and 40 or so freshman and sophomores not to mention a class of around 16-17, 8th graders coming up next year as well. They've got a nice turn around and it is time to move on if you're Northwest. If nothing more than the fact that with these quality teams they should have coming up they'll never see the playoffs playing in SOCI. I mean they're currently 5-3 and sitting at #13 in their region. Even with SV sitting at probably 8-1 going into week 10 against NW, that might not be enough still to get them in the playoffs.
Drew Pasteur has Northwest winning out and finishing at 7-3 which would make them SOC I champs and undefeated in conference play. That still won't be good enough for Northwest to make playoffs according to his projections.

Northwest's strength of schedule in D5 is 105 out of 107 schools, so they really gonna have to get creative in their nonconference scheduling if they want to make D5 playoffs while playing in SOC I. Basically can't see them making D5 playoffs with SOC I schedule unless they go 9-1 or better. Given their current numbers and increasing talent level, 9-1 or better very well could happen next few years, so they might be just fine staying in SOC I.*

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I don't think they are a playoff team this year, I would love to see them make it eventually but it's not their time yet. I'm sure they would be happy to get their first appearance but I doubt anyone wants to see this team travel to Ridgewood or Ironton if they back into the playoffs.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm I don't think they are a playoff team this year, I would love to see them make it eventually but it's not their time yet. I'm sure they would be happy to get their first appearance but I doubt anyone wants to see this team travel to Ridgewood or Ironton if they back into the playoffs.
Agreed. They're not ready yet. Next year will be Northwests first playoff appearance.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Spot on goose. This year and the next will do those kids good especially for confidence.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am
Drew Pasteur has Northwest winning out and finishing at 7-3 which would make them SOC I champs and undefeated in conference play. That still won't be good enough for Northwest to make playoffs according to his projections.

Northwest's strength of schedule in D5 is 105 out of 107 schools, so they really gonna have to get creative in their nonconference scheduling if they want to make D5 playoffs while playing in SOC I. Basically can't see them making D5 playoffs with SOC I schedule unless they go 9-1 or better. Given their current numbers and increasing talent level, 9-1 or better very well could happen next few years, so they might be just fine staying in SOC I.*
Nice post, time in the SOC 1 will benefit that program

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

What will Northwest's schedule look like next season?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I did the numbers, because I was curious. I also compared them to the current TVC Ohio numbers (the conference I follow closest)

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

Northwest on average is 92 boys bigger than each conference school.

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

Athens on average is 135 boys bigger than each conference school.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Dundas wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm I did the numbers, because I was curious. I also compared them to the current TVC Ohio numbers (the conference I follow closest)

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

I guess looking at that Northwest advantage over Symmes Valley and Eastern is not as big as I thought. Northwest is the only team that ields a soccer team too

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Dundas wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm I did the numbers, because I was curious. I also compared them to the current TVC Ohio numbers (the conference I follow closest)

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

Eastern and Symmes Vallley are almost D6, the cutoff is 117.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mattash wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

I guess looking at that Northwest advantage over Symmes Valley and Eastern is not as big as I thought. Northwest is the only team that ields a soccer team too
When you look at a number of 116 and 115 vs 176 it's easy to say well....that's not to bad. However that's 60 more boys to choose from if they only get 15-20 of those 60 to come out for football that's almost more than the size of Eastern and half the size of SV.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 am

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

Eastern and Symmes Vallley are almost D6, the cutoff is 117.
Yep they're a whopping 2 boys from being the smallest D6 schools in the area, :lol:

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Eastern was D7 their first 2 years of the program, and D6 the last 2 years. They got moved back to D7 for 2019 and 2020 seasons. Their problem is that it's not yet a "football" school. Participation in peewee and junior high is pretty significant though, from what I understand. So with time, their varsity roster should grow.

And if all the "basketball" parents would stop discouraging their kids from playing any other sport...

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

GoIrish wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 am Eastern was D7 their first 2 years of the program, and D6 the last 2 years. They got moved back to D7 for 2019 and 2020 seasons. Their problem is that it's not yet a "football" school. Participation in peewee and junior high is pretty significant though, from what I understand. So with time, their varsity roster should grow.

And if all the "basketball" parents would stop discouraging their kids from playing any other sport...
And even though they are a brand new program they have a 3-1 series lead against Northwest which further goes to show the absurdity of this thread.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

They'll obviously be back in 2 soon, everyone calm down.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 am
GoIrish wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 am Eastern was D7 their first 2 years of the program, and D6 the last 2 years. They got moved back to D7 for 2019 and 2020 seasons. Their problem is that it's not yet a "football" school. Participation in peewee and junior high is pretty significant though, from what I understand. So with time, their varsity roster should grow.

And even though they are a brand new program they have a 3-1 series lead against Northwest which further goes to show the absurdity of this thread.
Soon to be 3-2 and it won't even be close on Friday. I think you're missing the point when ppl talk about Northwest moving back up. Just like you reference 3-1 series, no one is talking about the past of Northwest. I've even said they SOCI is right where they needed to be until they start showing improvement and winning regularly. It's being talked about because A) what Northwest has done so far this year outscoring first 3 SOCI opponents 152-50 because green scored 32 B) Because Northwest is a very young team and they have the large numbers going forward and scores will get that much worse. I mean if they've got 16-17, 8th graders who all decide to play and you get more high schoolers decide to come out and subtract the small number of seniors you are looking at a team approaching the 70 player mark. That's why it's being discusses, not for Northwest past but the bright future it looks like they're putting together. By all means stay in SOCI with these much improved Northwest teams and get your 8-9 win season and sit at home watching the playoffs.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am

Nice post, time in the SOC 1 will benefit that program
Thanks for the shout out Captain Jack. Only problem I see for Northwest is they almost have to go 9-1 or 10-0 to make D5 playoffs with a SOC I schedule. Not much margin for error and have to schedule nonconference games that they can not only win, but also teams that will give them enough points to get to playoffs. Nonconference scheduling will be a real challenge for their AD and coaches as long as they have SOC I schedule and are in D5.*

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 am

Soon to be 3-2 and it won't even be close on Friday. I think you're missing the point when ppl talk about Northwest moving back up. Just like you reference 3-1 series, no one is talking about the past of Northwest. I've even said they SOCI is right where they needed to be until they start showing improvement and winning regularly. It's being talked about because A) what Northwest has done so far this year outscoring first 3 SOCI opponents 152-50 because green scored 32 B) Because Northwest is a very young team and they have the large numbers going forward and scores will get that much worse. I mean if they've got 16-17, 8th graders who all decide to play and you get more high schoolers decide to come out and subtract the small number of seniors you are looking at a team approaching the 70 player mark. That's why it's being discusses, not for Northwest past but the bright future it looks like they're putting together. By all means stay in SOCI with these much improved Northwest teams and get your 8-9 win season and sit at home watching the playoffs.
Fair enough, there was quite a bit of noise and nonsense at the beginning though. The fly in the works right now is from moving Oak Hill up this year. You will be stuck with a 7/5 split which will leave all 12 teams facing the prospect of huge travel or open weeks. Otherwise you need to add 2 football only schools , one to each conference and I have no idea who fits that bill right now. That leaves you with the problem of someone playing down and right now Northwest is the safest bet.

Return to “Football”