4. Penn State
5. Clemson

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/spor ... ayoff.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: OSU # 1 In First CFP Rankings

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Let everyone keep sleeping on Clemson. I love the talking heads.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 pm Let everyone keep sleeping on Clemson. I love the talking heads.
Clemson and Bama haven’t played anyone but if they run the table, they are in

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Clemson will be in after the OSU-PSU/ BAMA/LSU games knocking each other off, so they are not sweating. BIG got some respect out of the chute. I agree FOS on Clemson, they looked vulnerable last year at times against weak teams and people were writing them off. Ole Dabo will have them ready for the playoffs.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

cbolt wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 pm Clemson will be in after the OSU-PSU/ BAMA/LSU games knocking each other off, so they are not sweating. BIG got some respect out of the chute. I agree FOS on Clemson, they looked vulnerable last year at times against weak teams and people were writing them off. Ole Dabo will have them ready for the playoffs.
You are correct. Clemson has the easiest path to the CFP, the ACC not being strong and with two of four ahead of them having guaranteed losses. While many hate Dabo, his record including two national championships speaks volumes.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

The biggest surprise in this was seeing Penn State at 4th. I would have never guessed Penn State over Clemson... However Penn State has played teams as opposed to Clemson thus far... This strengthens Ohio States resume if they beat Penn State. And Michigan has a chance to still bounce back into the top 10 before The Game if some chaos happens in the PAC12 or BaiG XII. Same with Alabama IF they Beat LSU... They have Auburn waiting... But if LSU wins.. The remaining schedule for the tigers isn't as impressive with Ole Miss, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

Very fluid situation right now..

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

They probably want to make it look like they are giving the BIG plenty of respect since they have to know there is a lot of complaints they are not getting it.They know Clemson will jump after the head to heads. JMO

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm
cbolt wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 pm Clemson will be in after the OSU-PSU/ BAMA/LSU games knocking each other off, so they are not sweating. BIG got some respect out of the chute. I agree FOS on Clemson, they looked vulnerable last year at times against weak teams and people were writing them off. Ole Dabo will have them ready for the playoffs.
You are correct. Clemson has the easiest path to the CFP, the ACC not being strong and with two of four ahead of them having guaranteed losses. While many hate Dabo, his record including two national championships speaks volumes.
I love listening to Dabo and Ed at LSU . Just by their interviews you'd think they're talking to their buddies at the local sports bar more than a national audience as both seem more down to earth and natural than most of the big time politically correct hc's.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Esp. Saban, he as stiff as a board to talk to. Imagine him and Bill Belichick holding dual conferences, but they can sure coach!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

PSU being in there at #4 was the biggest shocker

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I think this is a good starting point. Still lot of football to be played. All the questions will be answered over the next few weeks.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree brother bolt. I'm not shocked in some ways. I think arguably ohio state is the best team in the country right now. but I expected it to be lsu, then ohio state, then bama, then penn state. I figured the 2 premiere conference would fill the top 4/5. I'm with you on Clemson. they ain't going away. and like you said you still have lsu/bama, and osu/psu going head to head. so something big will shake loose real soon. but with es-sec-pn. I would not have been surprised to have seen lsu, and bama at 1 n 2. they'll still be pushing for 2 in from that conference. but osu n psu are just as valid.gonna be an exciting finish. I'm pleased that the big ten got the kind of respect they have earned.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm
I don't get why people don't like dabo. he seems like an amazing person. the man is a Christian. he's fun, he loves the kids, he's turned Clemson into Disneyland for them. he has an amazing team, an amazing following. in my book and for my money, he is doing everything right. he's very emotional in interviews. he constantly praises god. his kids just adore him. I think he is an amazing person , role model, and coach.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

my guess is if people don't like him, it's because he puts god 1st and on a pedestal, as it should be. and people by and large want to see Christian's fail.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The rankings are really not a shocker.

tOSU has blown out EVERY opponent including top 15 and top 17 teams. Their strength of schedule is near the top of the list of the top 15 teams in the rankings and the have 3 potential Heisman candidates. Top that off with the #1 and #2 offense and defense in the country and they are a clear #1.

LSU is a clear #2 because of their strength of schedule being better than Bama and Clemson and having better wins than Penn State. The Texas win is now not so great of a win (especially being a high scoring, poor defensive game that went down to the wire). LSU is great offensively great but their defense is very suspect and has given up a lot of points to poor and mediocre offenses (Texas, Vandy, etc).

I think you could make a stronger case for Penn State to be #3 than Bama, so it doesnt surprise me at all that Penn State is #4. They have top 20 wins (Bama doesnt), their strength of schedule is WAY better than Bama's and both are unbeaten. And Penn State doesnt play FCS trash teams.

I think the question to ask is rather why Bama is not #4. The winning % of the teams Bama has beaten is the WORST IN POWER 5 and second from the bottom in ALL FBS.

The voters know that Clemson has struggled to boat race bad teams and are not playing to the same level as last year. Add that they are playing FCS schools, narrowly escaped a loss at NC State and Trevor Lawrence is a turnover machine this year and I struggle to even have them in my top 6.

One thing is certain- they committee put a lot of weight on SOS when they released the first rankings and they dont appear (yet) to be giving the SEC all the glory for doing nothing but branding the name.

They did however show no love for the B12 as Oklahoma was behind 3 other 1 loss teams, Baylor (8-0) is behind 5 teams with losses and 2 teams with 2 losses (Florida and Auburn.....go figure).

As for 5-25-
Not ranked high enough:
Baylor
Cincy
Minnesota

Ranked too high:
Florida
Auburn
ND (no hiding getting SMASHED by ttun and then VT blundering away a win against ND in the final minute of the game)

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 am my guess is if people don't like him, it's because he puts god 1st and on a pedestal, as it should be. and people by and large want to see Christian's fail.
You are correct Bait, faith should be paramount in all things but too many Ohio State fans associate Swinney with the Tigers epic 31-0 beat down of the Buckeyes in the 2016 CFP. Fan bases always look for a scapegoat or excuses when their team fails, and OSU fans are no different.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Very similar to Tim Tebow. Lots of people don't like him for whatever reasons. Couldn't find a nicer guy, he completely opposite of most the primadonna self centered athletes we see today.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am The rankings are really not a shocker.

tOSU has blown out EVERY opponent including top 15 and top 17 teams. Their strength of schedule is near the top of the list of the top 15 teams in the rankings and the have 3 potential Heisman candidates. Top that off with the #1 and #2 offense and defense in the country and they are a clear #1.

LSU is a clear #2 because of their strength of schedule being better than Bama and Clemson and having better wins than Penn State. The Texas win is now not so great of a win (especially being a high scoring, poor defensive game that went down to the wire). LSU is great offensively great but their defense is very suspect and has given up a lot of points to poor and mediocre offenses (Texas, Vandy, etc).

I think you could make a stronger case for Penn State to be #3 than Bama, so it doesnt surprise me at all that Penn State is #4. They have top 20 wins (Bama doesnt), their strength of schedule is WAY better than Bama's and both are unbeaten. And Penn State doesnt play FCS trash teams.

I think the question to ask is rather why Bama is not #4. The winning % of the teams Bama has beaten is the WORST IN POWER 5 and second from the bottom in ALL FBS.

The voters know that Clemson has struggled to boat race bad teams and are not playing to the same level as last year. Add that they are playing FCS schools, narrowly escaped a loss at NC State and Trevor Lawrence is a turnover machine this year and I struggle to even have them in my top 6.

One thing is certain- they committee put a lot of weight on SOS when they released the first rankings and they dont appear (yet) to be giving the SEC all the glory for doing nothing but branding the name.

They did however show no love for the B12 as Oklahoma was behind 3 other 1 loss teams, Baylor (8-0) is behind 5 teams with losses and 2 teams with 2 losses (Florida and Auburn.....go figure).

As for 5-25-
Not ranked high enough:
Baylor
Cincy
Minnesota

Ranked too high:
Florida
Auburn
ND (no hiding getting SMASHED by ttun and then VT blundering away a win against ND in the final minute of the game)
C'mon Red: Not high enough? Baylor will get drilled by Oklahoma, Cincy just barely held on last week against powerhouse East Carolina and Minnesota is about to lose 3 of 4.

Too high? Florida beat Auburn and lost to LSU and Georgia, both top 6 and Auburn beat Oregon and lost to Florida and LSU and they're all Top 10 teams wins and losses.
I will however agree with the Domers. 8-)

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I do think that Oregon should be ahead of Georgia in the ranks.. Their loss to Auburn was a better loss than Georgia's loss to South Carolina.. And that's just a FACT. There is some SEC Bias prevalent in these rankings. Auburn is a good team but not a great team. But who has Alabama Played?! Absolutely nobody. This week will tell the tale on the Crimson Tide..

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Valenth wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 pm The biggest surprise in this was seeing Penn State at 4th. I would have never guessed Penn State over Clemson... However Penn State has played teams as opposed to Clemson thus far... This strengthens Ohio States resume if they beat Penn State. And Michigan has a chance to still bounce back into the top 10 before The Game if some chaos happens in the PAC12 or BaiG XII. Same with Alabama IF they Beat LSU... They have Auburn waiting... But if LSU wins.. The remaining schedule for the tigers isn't as impressive with Ole Miss, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

Very fluid situation right now..
Actually, an article at CBS Sports yesterday nailed the Top 5. The person wrote that Penn St. has played a tougher schedule than Clemson.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ

Return to “College Sports”