While we have the masses on the Basketball Forum ...

buckeye23
Waterboy

Re: While we have the masses on the Basketball Forum ...

Post by buckeye23 »

Coal Grove

Seniors 2020
#2 Borders- Starter
#3 Gannon- Starter
#5 Smith-Starter
#34 Carey- Starter
#32 Short- 6th Man
#12 Ferguson- 7-8th Man

Returning Varsity Players
#11 Matney- G- 2021

#14 Wheeler- G- 2022
#1 Kingrey- F- 2022
#10 Hankins- F- 2022
#23 Hicks- G- 2022

#21 Hall- F- 2023
Mullens- G- 2023

*Coal Grove 8th Grade- MSOVC Regular Season and Tournament Champions- A few upcoming freshman could see significant Varsity minutes next year*

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

I’m not a Trimble guy but I think I’ve seen them enough

Sawyer Koons Sr
Cam Kittle Sr
Brayden Weber Sr
Blake Guffey So
Tyler Weber So

Austin Wisor So
Bryce Downs So
Conner Wright Sr
Kyle Kennedy Sr
Zach Guffey Sr

Trimble loses a lot but they have some really nice pieces returning. Guffey will be a POY candidate, strong high motor, perfect player for a Howie team. Weber and Wisor are both gonna be solid. Quick, great defenders. Didn’t see Downs a lot on varsity but he reminds me of Koons. Strong and physical football mentality. More Athletic than Koons.
I’m not sure who the 5th starter will be and they will lack depth from what I see. It will be a typical Howie team that will be disciplined and get after you

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great information EVERYONE ! looks like some folks who don't post many times have added to the thread too !!! excellent - AND the information you have given up tells ME that you should be posting/adding to the other threads throughout the season ! - good stuff !!! thank you!

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Post by bigburgboy »

Wheelersburg 2020-21

J.J. Truitt-starter sr
Matthew Miller-starter sr
Carter Mccorkle-starter sr
Eli Swords-starter jr
Gage Adkins-starter sr

Sanderlin-6th man soph
Aaron Jolly-7th man sr

These are the same seven that see significant playing time this season, I look for more improvement with bringing back nearly the whole core.

Maxie-graduation
Lawson-F sr
Montgomery-F sr
Wilson-F sr
Clark-G jr
Masters-G jr

Next year looks promising once again for the burg !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bigburgboy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am Wheelersburg 2020-21

J.J. Truitt-starter sr
Matthew Miller-starter sr
Carter Mccorkle-starter sr
Eli Swords-starter jr
Gage Adkins-starter sr

Sanderlin-6th man soph
Aaron Jolly-7th man sr

These are the same seven that see significant playing time this season, I look for more improvement with bringing back nearly the whole core.

Maxie-graduation
Lawson-F sr
Montgomery-F sr
Wilson-F sr
Clark-G jr
Masters-G jr

Next year looks promising once again for the burg !
... bigburgboy - thank you for the info ... as a person who has watched a whole lot of hoops, grew up in Southern Ohio - New Boston - I CAN'T remember when a Wheelersburg TEAM was NOT in the conversation for one of the best in Southern/Southeast Ohio LOL ... I expect no less from the Pirates in the 2020-21 season - THAT is a given ... when I start putting together my rankings I always look to place the burg somewhere between 1-20 and THAT is WITHOUT knowing who or what they have coming back LOL - pfloyd has a lot of respect for the Wheelersburg PROGRAM ... thank again for the info !!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Returning starters for the Portsmouth Trojans: 2019-2020 Record: 10-13

Miles Shipp 6-1 SR 10 PPG
Jesse Dixon 6-1 JR 7 PPG
Donovan Carr 6-0 JR 7 PPG
Drew Roe 5-8 JR 7 PPG

Seniors graduating: Matthew Fraulini 17 PPG, Jack Workman

Potential 5th starter: Dariyonne Bryant 6-2 JR, Amare Johnson 5-7 JR, Reid Pendleton 5-7 SO, Tanner Cantrell 6-1 SR, Jayllen Thomas 6-1 SR
JV team: 10-8, with several juniors starting. Reid Pendleton was the best player on that squad.

Portsmouth faces a real problem with scoring next season. With Fraulini's 17 PPG gone, the Trojans will really struggle to score, with only Miles Shipp averaging double figures coming back. Once again, PHS has no significant size which means rebounding will be a challenge as well. The Trojans will field a team with good athletes, with a year of experience, but there is a lack of good offensive basketball skills. What happened vs. Eastern Brown (32 points) is a prelude to what next season looks like. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I have to face reality.......the Trojans will have to fight to stay out of the bottom of the OVC, because with a serious lack of scoring ability, their athleticism won't be enough to save them. 5 or 6 wins may be tops for PHS, and a pfloyd ranking of over 40 is a real possibility, maybe the lowest mark in the history of the Elite 8 rankings.

I don't think I've been this discouraged about my beloved Trojans.

There is still uncertainty about the immediate future of Coach Eugene Collins. I have had conversations regarding this with Coach Collins, and he is mulling over whether to return for his 12th season.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If Reid Carrico does indeed graduate early, that means that Ironton will lose all 5 starters who started vs. Portsmouth in the 2nd meeting.

The other 4 starters that Ironton loses: Trent Milleson, Collin Freeman, Jordan Grizzle, Gage Salyers (Youngstown St. for football)

One significant player coming back: Trent Hacker 6-1 SR; the JV squad had some decent talent, but I look for the Fighting Tigers to be in a rebuilding mode. I'm sure that Coach Fitch will get as much as he can out of the returnees.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I should include that Unioto’s incoming freshmen class just finished their middle school career’s at 38-0.

They have a few players who could possibly see some varsity time as early as next year and definitely when they are sophomores.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Eastern Pike 20-21
PG-Neil Leist-SO
G-Dillon Mattox-Sr
G- Brennan Slusher-Jr
F-Gabe Mcbee-So
F-Chase Carter-So
—————————————
G-Isaac Richardson-Jr
G-Abe Mcbee-Fr
C-Jake Tribby-Sr
G-Lance Barnett-Jr
F-Logan Salisbury-Jr

My opinion is that Eastern will be improved next year, but still maybe a year or two away from being able to compete at a high level, I expect to see major improvements from the 3 sophomores in Leist, Mcbee and Carter with the varsity experience they got this year , Mattox will counted on for senior leadership, he’s a really hard nosed player , who plays good defense , Slusher is a lights out shooter , just needs to get stronger and more confidence , which I expect will come with age and the varsity experience he got this year.
Really excited for Richardson next year in his first full year of varsity, he’s really athletic and plays extremely hard , got some varsity time in the tournament and played well , could push for a starting spot.
Abe Mcbee will be a freshman who I think will get moved up to varsity , he’s a pg with a good all around game , I expect good things from him in his career at Eastern .
Tribby will be a Sr who will be counted on to provide quality minutes in the post and Sr leadership. Barnett and Salisbury will be moving up from the Jv squad nextseason , both are really good players with a little work over the summer could definitely challenge for playing time next year .

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huntington

Seth Beeler - SR
Caleb Smith - SO
Dalton Haubeil - SO
Seth McCloskey - SO
Nick Haines - JR

Darius Brown - JR
Brian Hertenstein - SO
Gavin Free - JR

Beeler was outstanding for the 5-17 Huntsmen, but they return all other contributors. They still won’t have much size, but they’ll play hard and fast in 20-21

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Southeastern

Aaron Gillum - SR
Derek Wheeler - SO
Aiden Estep - SO
Jaylen Murta - JR
Cameron Hall - SO
Parker George - SO
Aaron Evans - SO
Luke Corcoran - SO

Gillum wrapped up a solid career, but the Panthers return all other contributors from a team who finished 4-19, but had some positive games down the stretch. One key factor is that Hall and Corcoran missed a ton of games this past season after having hot starts.

Estep and Wheeler really turned it on late in the year as well. They will be much improved in 20-21.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Paint Valley (6-17)

Cruz McFadden - SR
Trent Mettler - SO
Cordell Grubb - SO
Cole Miller - FR
Bryce Newland - SR

Jackson Williams - SR
Traeden Jeffers - SO
Dax Estep - FR
Brock Blanton - JR
Adam Brauner - JR

A strange season filled with injuries for the Bearcats. Newland graduates as the school’s 5th leading scorer and McFadden started at the point for most of his 4 years. Grubb can flat out score the basketball, while Blanton, Estep, and Miller will provide some front court size and athleticism. Mettler got thrown into the fire a bit when McFadden went down with an injury, but looks to be a solid scoring guard.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Zane Trace

Cam Evans - SR
Colby Swain - SR
Luke Johnson - SR
Triton Davidson - SR
Nick Nesser - SR

Bryce Johnson - SR
Nalin Robinson - FR

Their JV did win the SVC and their freshman/sophomore groups are solid, but they will return virtually no varsity experience outside of Robinson.

Ben Nichols - SO
Carter Hill - SO
Trey Edler - SO

Those 3 with Robinson will likely see a bulk of the early PT. They’ll be young (experience wise), but will still be athletic and have some talent.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks daniC !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Adena

Jarrett Garrison - JR
Nate Throckmorton - JR
Cade McKee - SR
Preston Sykes - JR
Logan Bennett - JR

Dillon McDonald - SO
Jacob Shipley - JR
Brandon Smith - SR

Depending on the evening, the Warriors either return 4 or 5 starters next season. Bennett has turned into one of the better players in the SVC and surrounding areas. Sykes is very versatile, while Garrison, Throckmorton, McDonald, and Shipley has play different roles and play them well. They will still have a short bench next season, so depth could be an issue, but they’ll have a chance to win their first SVC title since 05-06 with this group.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall

Jay Wyman - SR
Hayden Lemaster - SR
Casey Cline - FR
Connor Spohn - SR
Lucas Blackburn - JR

Tyler Shipley - SO
Ashton Nunemaker - SO
Trevor Wolfe - SO
Peyton Weiss - SO
Blac Bulger - FR

The Mustangs will graduate some nice pieces, with Wyman being the centerpiece. Wyman graduates the school all time leading 3 point shooter, which will be tough to replace. Blackburn is a beast inside, while the sophomore class is solid. The 2nd year under Coach Meister should see some nice improvements

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:34 pm ... thanks daniC !!!
You got it! I wanted to get the rest of the SVC out there. Hopefully anybody else from those schools can add to the information provided if necessary.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:52 pm
pfloyd wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:34 pm ... thanks daniC !!!
You got it! I wanted to get the rest of the SVC out there. Hopefully anybody else from those schools can add to the information provided if necessary.
... I tried to do this last "summer" but obviously that was waaaaay to late since most of the hoops guys were off the board until late Fall LOL ... thought I would get this going NOW while the hoops season STILL has 3 or more weeks left ... IF we can get the majority of schools info together WE will have a great resource going into NEXT season - put this with the info we get from summer shootouts etc. - as I said I will put together a team by team rundown to go with the Pre-season Rankings ...

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Post by ShoeHorn »

Alexander Spartans
Starters
Sr J.K. Kearns
Sr Kaleb Easley
Sr Caleb Terry
Sr Trey Schaller
Fr Kyler D'Augustino
Bench
Sr Lucas Markins
Sr Luke Chapman
Sr Colby Carsey