September 1, 2023 Marietta 28 - 19 Athens

pioneer19
All Conference

September 1, 2023 Marietta 28 - 19 Athens

Post by pioneer19 »

Someone gets win #1 this week. Watching the West Muskingum-Marietta game last week, for the first time in a long while I actually thought Marietta looked like a good football team. Then the second half happened. I think the Tigers have enough to win this one by a few scores, but Athens was young last year so I expect them to be better.

Thoughts?

Billy T Kid
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 3: Athens (0-2) @ Marietta (0-2)

Post by Billy T Kid »

Really hope to see Athens get a win.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Marietta

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

pioneer19 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:41 pm Someone gets win #1 this week. Watching the West Muskingum-Marietta game last week, for the first time in a long while I actually thought Marietta looked like a good football team. Then the second half happened. I think the Tigers have enough to win this one by a few scores, but Athens was young last year so I expect them to be better.

Thoughts?
West M would put the running clock on Athens - they are legit. Marietta wins this one comfortably IMO. I think they will be far more physical than Athens, which is the norm when these teams play.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

boss8 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:25 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:41 pm Someone gets win #1 this week. Watching the West Muskingum-Marietta game last week, for the first time in a long while I actually thought Marietta looked like a good football team. Then the second half happened. I think the Tigers have enough to win this one by a few scores, but Athens was young last year so I expect them to be better.

Thoughts?
West M would put the running clock on Athens - they are legit. Marietta wins this one comfortably IMO. I think they will be far more physical than Athens, which is the norm when these teams play.
Athens is awful. They might beat Meigs and RV.

Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

Binary wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:56 pm

Thoughts?
I don’t think they awful. Just maybe coaching is

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Older bird wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm

I don’t think they awful. Just maybe coaching is
You might be onto something.

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

Thoughts?
[/

Athens won’t beat Meigs. They will fight RV for the basement trophy. May the worst team win it.

I know, I was D1 fellas
mattash
Site Admin

MARIETTA VS ATHENS

Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

September 2, 2022 Athens 7 - 12 Marietta 7:00 pm
September 3, 2021 Marietta 36 - 28 Athens 7:00 pm
September 11, 2020 Athens 20 - 24 Marietta 7:30 pm

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Agree with those that say Marietta will win this one. If not, then I'm not sure where too many other wins come from.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Thoughts?
West Muskingum is a quality team, no doubt. Don't think Athens has an All-Ohio sprinter suiting up for them either, so Marietta should be alright. Marietta needs a big win in a bad way. Gain some confidence and some momentum and they could easily be (3-2) going into the Williamstown game.
Last edited by pioneer19 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

*D1* wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:48 pm

Athens won’t beat Meigs.
Based on what exactly? Athens at least played a somewhat competitive game against a good Philo team. Meigs hasn't even scored. Maybe work on that first.

SugarDaddy
JV Team

Post by SugarDaddy »

Marietta in a cake walk.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Re: MARIETTA VS ATHENS

Post by Wildcatone »

Two pretty equally matched struggling programs.

boss8
JV Team

Re: MARIETTA VS ATHENS

Post by boss8 »

Think there is already a thread for this game, but besides last year (when Marietta essentially had a freshmen team), Marietta has beaten Athens consistently and has physically pushed them around. Marietta has played two good programs - 2 of the probably 3 best teams they will play this year - and has been competitive. Think they win this one by 2 TD's at least.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I’d say Marietta in a close one

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta leads the all-time series 44-13-3. Crazy that it is that lopsided given where Marietta's program has been the last several decades and it's not just matchups from 100 years ago either. The series has been one sided recently as well. Not trying to kick Athens while they are down, this just genuinely surprised me.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:36 pm Marietta leads the all-time series 44-13-3. Crazy that it is that lopsided given where Marietta's program has been the last several decades and it's not just matchups from 100 years ago either. The series has been one sided recently as well. Not trying to kick Athens while they are down, this just genuinely surprised me.
Athens’ success with Burrow & friends colors what is a pretty poor football program. I’m still shocked they were never able to capitalize on that success to build a good program, especially considering the competition they play. If Warren and Marietta were in the TVC, both would beat Athens consistently IMO

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

boss8 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:38 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:36 pm Marietta leads the all-time series 44-13-3. Crazy that it is that lopsided given where Marietta's program has been the last several decades and it's not just matchups from 100 years ago either. The series has been one sided recently as well. Not trying to kick Athens while they are down, this just genuinely surprised me.
Athens’ success with Burrow & friends colors what is a pretty poor football program. I’m still shocked they were never able to capitalize on that success to build a good program, especially considering the competition they play. If Warren and Marietta were in the TVC, both would beat Athens consistently IMO
Athens had some solid seasons even after the Burrow years. I figured the winning would be sustainable, at least at the conference level, with them playing in the TVC, but these last couple years have been rough to say the least. Since you brought it up, Marietta and Warren would both be middle of the pack, at worst, in the TVC most years.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:47 pm
boss8 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:38 pm
Athens had some solid seasons even after the Burrow years. I figured the winning would be sustainable, at least at the conference level, with them playing in the TVC, but these last couple years have been rough to say the least. Since you brought it up, Marietta and Warren would both be middle of the pack, at worst, in the TVC most years.
We weren’t great last year and beat the runner up worse than the league champion. Granted, the Ohio is down, but it’s still indicative of where we’d be more often than not. Agree about the Athens teams still being good after Burrow. They had a very solid 3-4 year run after he graduated.

Return to “Football”