DV R19

paulwheeler
Riding the Bench

Re: DV R19

Post by paulwheeler »

UNREAL wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:33 am 16 Teams is all about gate money of the OHSAA
I have to agree and the length of the season is way too long.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:04 am
Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:19 am I know we are mainly about SEO, but with Prep being involved in the conversation, it opens up the whole region. Lets not forget about two undefeateds in the mix in Columbus Academy and Barnesville. I know CA has some state titles/title games in its history. This region has more than 3 or 4 contenders.
Barnesville is fool's gold. They were 10-0 last year and were outmatched in Burg game. Their schedule is weak.

Here's how I rank them today. It may change after burg west game.

1. Burg - I realize most will not agree with me but this team is very, very good. Their O line is massive and much improved. The defense has been good but the linebacker play has really improved since week one. If west can hang with burg or upset them, then obviously I'll drop them down, but right now they are my slight favorite.
2. Ironton - Terry gives Ironton a one to two touchdown lead before the game starts. Ironton's defense is fast. They can be suspect to upset with silly turnovers and the lack of depth on both sides of the line. They will move to 1 if burg struggles with West.
3. Columbus Academy - Just google one of their games and watch them. Good size and athleticism. They are a private school so depth is always an issue but what I can see, they can win the region.
4. Prep - Some might say it's crazy to put prep here but their special teams are awful, they have costly penalties, suspect against power running teams. Skilled fast kids, they have but when nothing is going right, football technique and discipline will eventually be needed and they sorely lack in that department.

All four of these teams are capable of winning the region. Heath would be my only dark horse
This looks feasible and I think the winner here will be a good matchup with Valley View/Oak Harbor, etc. or whoever comes from that region. Not real confident on any of the above teams matching up with Perry/South Range. Perry plays late November football similar to Kirtland/Marion Local, great discipline and smart assignment football on defense and typically mistake free pound the ball on offense. If you can limit possessions against good skill player teams like Ironton and Prep you’ll likely win.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:19 am I know we are mainly about SEO, but with Prep being involved in the conversation, it opens up the whole region. Lets not forget about two undefeateds in the mix in Columbus Academy and Barnesville. I know CA has some state titles/title games in its history. This region has more than 3 or 4 contenders.
Barnesville is fool's gold. They were 10-0 last year and were outmatched in Burg game. Their schedule is weak.

1. Burg - I realize most will not agree with me but this team is very, very good. Their O line is massive and much improved. The defense has been good but the linebacker play has really improved since week one. If west can hang with burg or upset them, then obviously I'll drop them down, but right now they are my slight favorite.
2. Ironton - Terry gives Ironton a one to two touchdown lead before the game starts. Ironton's defense is fast. They can be suspect to upset with silly turnovers and the lack of depth on both sides of the line. They will move to 1 if burg struggles with West.
3. Columbus Academy - Just google one of their games and watch them. Good size and athleticism. They are a private school so depth is always an issue but what I can see, they can win the region.
4. Prep - Some might say it's crazy to put prep here but their special teams are awful, they have costly penalties, suspect against power running teams. Skilled fast kids, they have but when nothing is going right, football technique and discipline will eventually be needed and they sorely lack in that department.

All four of these teams are capable of winning the region. Heath would be my only dark horse
Not out of the question but I guess the burg just has to prove it to me. To many times the last couple yrs where they just have no one that steps up and makes big plays in big games when they need it. Maybe this is the yr

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

fbnut wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:52 pm

Not out of the question but I guess the burg just has to prove it to me. To many times the last couple yrs where they just have no one that steps up and makes big plays in big games when they need it. Maybe this is the yr
I don’t think Wheelersburg will quit and I think they’re looking forward to playing Ironton again if it works out. In the Prep/Ironton playoff game last year Irontons defense basically made Prep quit. Prep obviously has the skill players to win the region but like Ironton they are prone to mistakes. This coming from an Ironton fan

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Outoftowner wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:04 pm

I don’t think Wheelersburg will quit and I think they’re looking forward to playing Ironton again if it works out. In the Prep/Ironton playoff game last year Irontons defense basically made Prep quit. Prep obviously has the skill players to win the region but like Ironton they are prone to mistakes. This coming from an Ironton fan
Prep has no discipline and aren’t coached very well

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:28 am I certainly wouldn’t sleep on Heath or even Barnesville for that matter.

Heath, a 7-2 team, smacked around a really good Licking Valley team 46-17 and hung tough with an undefeated Granville team.

Barnesville is currently 9-0 and has just been taking care of business. Their strength of schedule isn’t the best but what have they done? Averaging 44.22 points per game while giving up an average of 5 points per game and have 4 shutouts so far.

West Muskingum is another really good team. They’re 9-1 and beat Fairland in the playoffs last year. Their RB is putting up huge numbers.
Ive seen west m play new lex in person and saw Ironton play on tv. No way west m could hang with Ironton. Way too slow.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I think Ironton/Prep/Wheelersburg are indeed close and can see any of the three coming out.

How do you square Wheelersburg being the favorite and a power team with Harvest Prep struggling with power teams and Harvest Prep being Wheelersburg 32-16?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Ehh. Idk. So far this season burg seems just as predisposed to mistakes as Ironton or Prep, if not even more so. I'd also add that Prep has outright owned Burg the last 3 years and Ironton has also outlasted them. I think burgs offensive approach is still a big question mark. And I also don't accept that West is a good gauge for how burg matches up in region 19. Dating back to last season and this season, Barnesville ( fool's gold) is the ONLY ranked r19 opponent burg has been able to handle. This season, burg has beat the easy teams but folded vs Ironton, Jackson, and Prep.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:12 pm

Ehh. Idk. So far this season burg seems just as predisposed to mistakes as Ironton or Prep, if not even more so. I'd also add that Prep has outright owned Burg the last 3 years and Ironton has also outlasted them. I think burgs offensive approach is still a big question mark. And I also don't accept that West is a good gauge for how burg matches up in region 19. Dating back to last season and this season, Barnesville ( fool's gold) is the ONLY ranked r19 opponent burg has been able to handle. This season, burg has beat the easy teams but folded vs Ironton, Jackson, and Prep.
👍

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fbnut wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:39 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:12 pm
👍

I think it's anyone's region to lose, but I don't see a path to a reasonable argument for Burg to be ranked at the top of the field. They just have not produced vs the ranked r19 teams at all dating back a cpl seasons now. Gotta give a reason on the field first is my point.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

Portsmouth West is the dark horse. If they don’t become predictable they can make a lot of noise.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:53 pm

I think Ironton/Prep/Wheelersburg are indeed close and can see any of the three coming out.

How do you square Wheelersburg being the favorite and a power team with Harvest Prep struggling with power teams and Harvest Prep being Wheelersburg 32-16?
They effectively ran the ball against prep in second half and won the second half. I’m a little biased on burg but I really do like what they are doing right now.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Outoftowner wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:50 pm

This looks feasible and I think the winner here will be a good matchup with Valley View/Oak Harbor, etc. or whoever comes from that region. Not real confident on any of the above teams matching up with Perry/South Range. Perry plays late November football similar to Kirtland/Marion Local, great discipline and smart assignment football on defense and typically mistake free pound the ball on offense. If you can limit possessions against good skill player teams like Ironton and Prep you’ll likely win.
Yep. It's gonna be hard to believe a seo team can beat those NEO schools until we see it. Point blank.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

SiderSammy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:52 pm

Portsmouth West is the dark horse. If they don’t become predictable they can make a lot of noise.
West needs some momentum. Gotta get the W Friday for that.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:00 pm

They effectively ran the ball against prep in second half and won the second half. I’m a little biased on burg but I really do like what they are doing right now.
Will burg commit to the run and let the spread go vs the teams they can't matchup with?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:31 pm

Will burg commit to the run and let the spread go vs the teams they can't matchup with?
Seemed like there was a little less of it against Minford and Waverly…a little more spread stuff against Waverly but overall it seemed less of a feature in the offense the last two games.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

:ugeek:
gobucs20 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:51 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:28 am I certainly wouldn’t sleep on Heath or even Barnesville for that matter.

Heath, a 7-2 team, smacked around a really good Licking Valley team 46-17 and hung tough with an undefeated Granville team.

Barnesville is currently 9-0 and has just been taking care of business. Their strength of schedule isn’t the best but what have they done? Averaging 44.22 points per game while giving up an average of 5 points per game and have 4 shutouts so far.

West Muskingum is another really good team. They’re 9-1 and beat Fairland in the playoffs last year. Their RB is putting up huge numbers.
Ive seen west m play new lex in person and saw Ironton play on tv. No way west m could hang with Ironton. Way too slow.
I didn’t say anything like that regarding West Muskingum. That’s like comparing the SOC1 to the SOC2. Their might be 1 or 2 teams that will compete with Ironton in the playoffs. Just stating that teams and schools need to be aware that this region might be deeper than what the eye initially sees.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:28 pm :ugeek:

I didn’t say anything like that regarding West Muskingum. That’s like comparing the SOC1 to the SOC2. Their might be 1 or 2 teams that will compete with Ironton in the playoffs. Just stating that teams and schools need to be aware that this region might be deeper than what the eye initially sees.
I still think this is Ironton's Region to lose.
I maybe wrong but Ironton has been getting better every game.
Gallia gave them a game that was closer than many think it should have been but I'm glad it was a close game they needed it.
Yes the O-line looks a little weak but they are doing what they need as competition gets better they will need to step it up a notch and I believe they will.
I may be wrong but I do believe it is their Region to lose.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

522Pirate wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:58 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:31 pm

Seemed like there was a little less of it against Minford and Waverly…a little more spread stuff against Waverly but overall it seemed less of a feature in the offense the last two games.
If Burg is willing to commit to the run game. Slow the pace. With their defense they can make a run.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fielddaddy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:44 am
Jason Vorhees wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:28 pm :ugeek:
I still think this is Ironton's Region to lose.
I maybe wrong but Ironton has been getting better every game.
Gallia gave them a game that was closer than many think it should have been but I'm glad it was a close game they needed it.
Yes the O-line looks a little weak but they are doing what they need as competition gets better they will need to step it up a notch and I believe they will.
I may be wrong but I do believe it is their Region to lose.
Last 2 seasons burg has made the mistake of trying to match up with Ironton and Preps skill kids and win a track meet.

That's not how you beat either Prep or Ironton.

NEO has given you the gameplan blueprint for them.

Run the ball
Control the clock
Mix in play action
Take care of the ball.

Leave the spread alone. Burg doesn't have the skill kids to execute it vs Ironton or Prep.

You have to play bully ball vs Ironton. Run it at them on offense
Aggressive af on defense.

Ask Cabell Midland.

Return to “Football”